The Ultimate Alpha Male

Never seen that clip before. Absolutely tremendous stuff. Took no shit from anybody, hard as nails and could play a wee bit too.

Big Edinburgh poof. Wouldn't have lasted five minutes in Glasgow under 13's league in the 60's and 70's :p

Brilliant stuff. Best story ever when he was with Sampdoria playing against alleged Argentinian hard man Daniel Passarella. During the match Passarella was doing the throat cutting gestures etc. When the final whistle went Souness started walking quicker and quicker towards him. But Passerella seen him and was walking quicker than Souness and broke into a run down the tunnel and locked himself in the dressing room with the Magnificent Bastard banging on the door.:D

Big Edinburgh poof. Wouldn't have lasted five minutes in Glasgow under 13's league in the 60's and 70's :p

Brilliant stuff. Best story ever when he was with Sampdoria playing against alleged Argentinian hard man Daniel Passarella. During the match Passarella was doing the throat cutting gestures etc. When the final whistle went Souness started walking quicker and quicker towards him. But Passerella seen him and was walking quicker than Souness and broke into a run down the tunnel and locked himself in the dressing room with the Magnificent Bastard banging on the door.:D

I believe he was signed by Liverpool after their match against Middlesboro when he had Jimmy Case (I think) on the floor and was standing over him shaking his fist. Case was a Liverpool hardman in those days if I recall.

I believe he was signed by Liverpool after their match against Middlesboro when he had Jimmy Case (I think) on the floor and was standing over him shaking his fist. Case was a Liverpool hardman in those days if I recall.
Is that the clip at 6.20 standing over him with a clenched fist magnificent.

There was some Romanian team(i think) playing Liverpool in Europe and their hardman had told everyone what he was going to do to Souness. The hardman was taken off the pitch with a broken jaw!

Edit: Dinamo Bucharest was the team, it's on youtube just search Souness breaks jaw

I always remember Saint and greivesy showing some of his.Challenges he did every so called hard man in football.The butcher of bilbao butraguena, steilika, the German mad man, Ray Wilkins, the Welsh guy can't remember his name studs right in the bass, and when with Sampdoria he battered the Italian Gentile in the tunnel. He was my hero before he came and by fucckkk hes still the man
Alpha Male +, the way science is now he could do a piss and they could make a superhuman from the DNA he pisses out

He was absolute nails and a player into the bargain as well. Would never work in today's whimpy world of football but he was tremendous to watch back in the day.

Could pass, shoot, run with the ball, tackle like %^*& and boot folk 10 feet in the air and have a 10 min argument about why it was acceptable to do so.

I love Souness, but to be honest, he was a dirty bastard.
Don't get me wrong, he could play sublime football when he wanted to, but a player who goes out to injure other players is the lowest of the low, something he did many times.

Poor Ray Wilkins must've been black and blue for a week after being elbowed round the chops so much :oops:

Don't get me wrong, he could play sublime football when he wanted to, but a player who goes out to injure other players is the lowest of the low, something he did many times.
Not having that mate.
He was a superb football player.
He was and is a winner.
He was as hard/dirty as he needed to be in a time when every unfit journeyman had several chances at putting quality players out of the game.

Not having that mate.
He was a superb football player.
He was and is a winner.
He was as hard/dirty as he needed to be in a time when every unfit journeyman had several chances at putting quality players out of the game.

Be honest, if he didn't play for / manage us, would your opinion of him be the same as it is now?

As I said, I love Souness, but I can also see that he was a real cūnt when he wanted to be.

What a footballer, what an incredible footballer. He had a bit of everything.

His "tackling' probably what youngsters will focus on, but he was a bona fide world class midfielder.

Grit, guile, incredible passer of the ball, shooting, controlling the tempo, leadership, skill.

Dalglish? Law? Baxter?

I'll take The Magnificent Bastard every time. Peerless in our shores.

Roy Keane would have loved to be half the player Graeme Souness was.

Under-appreciated at Anfield, perhaps to do with his managerial stint and The Sun article.

I'm just going to come out and say it, he was a better footballer than Stevie G.

Be honest, if he didn't play for / manage us, would your opinion of him be the same as it is now?

As I said, I love Souness, but I can also see that he was a real cūnt when he wanted to be.
Being honest, was big souness fan before he came to Rangers. As ive said, dirty as he needed to be at a time when "hard men" got at least one serious assault before a yellow card.

What a footballer, what an incredible footballer. He had a bit of everything.

His "tackling' probably what youngsters will focus on, but he was a bona fide world class midfielder.

Grit, guile, incredible passer of the ball, shooting, controlling the tempo, leadership, skill.

Dalglish? Law? Baxter?

I'll take The Magnificent Bastard every time. Peerless in our shores.

Roy Keane would have loved to be half the player Graeme Souness was.

Under-appreciated at Anfield, perhaps to do with his managerial stint and The Sun article.

I'm just going to come out and say it, he was a better footballer than Stevie G.
Never seen Baxter or Law, but imo
Souness
Gerrard
Kean
In that order, all winners and all very capable of letting their opponent know who was in charge

Give us peace! Are you a Celtic fan??

Back