Studies underway to add more seats to Ibrox in 2022

When the pitch was lower in 1993?

3 rows were added given around extra 1100 seats from memory

At least they are looking into trying to do something

We owned the land where the industrial estate is near KFC, exSt Anthony’s ground
That was sold years ago, you can hardly blame the current board for that and if memory serves me correctly it was part of the deal that got us tha carpark we now have.

We bought Moore Park in 1990? with plans of building a 2nd stadium for reserve games and training and allowing St Anthonys to play as well if right on that in the end we sold the land to Glasgow City Council in 1995 or 1996 IRC to allow them make use of it as what is today

David Murray really made a mess of it when he opted for screens instead of seats when building the corners.
For a captain of industry he really was a dick.
Indeed screens don't buy season tickets and cost money don't spend it !!

That was sold years ago, you can hardly blame the current board for that and if memory serves me correctly it was part of the deal that got us tha carpark we now have.
A) owned, past participle
B) where did I blame the current (or past) board for anything. Merely stating a fact.

Can we stop the fanciful notion of reopening a train station? Minimum £15m for that. Probably more like £20-25m.
Simple stations can be had for a lot less than that, certainly single figure millions. But the cost impact on the existing rail service would probably be more of a problem.

This is madness .

Are we forgetting the club deck ?

If we lower the pitch ANY further, never mind by 10 metres , the club deck won’t be able to see the near side touchline at all .

Is it just me who remembers this ? I assume it hasn’t changed any ?

As a former season ticket holder in the Club Deck I can say that the only way lowering the pitch is feasible (in terms of visibility of the pitch) would be to move it laterally as well, away from the Main Stand side. I’m not sure that would work quite honestly.

I think we have an average adult season ticket price of 400.

That would mean £2.5M/season from these extra seats, no idea what the projected cost would be but even £10M would be worth it.

Bisgrove said that in January the adboards between the tiers would be replaced with electronic ones. I’m presuming this hasn’t been done because there’s been nothing else about it?

Because unless we request a station and pay part of the construction of it then full payment will be with SPT, Scotrail and Transport Scotland

The station would need to be useful for the local community not just matchdays
There is no business case for that. If the club want it, they’ll have to pay for the great majority of it.

There was always a cantilever overhang on the Govan to begin with.
Im not sure there was actually. Govan rear stopped at the bottom, and there was a wall, then govan front began. Not sure an overhang was there at all. I may be mistaken of course!!! :))
They could take the corners away totally and rebuild them for an all seater part rather than the screens, I think the issue now is the structural steelwork can’t be tampered with as it is just now but it can be fully taken away and started again to allow a proper structure to allow all Seats to be installed.
there’s loads of options of course but lowering the pitch seems to be the easiest and cheapest option.
The more seats the merrier I say, at least 60k for me

Im not sure there was actually. Govan rear stopped at the bottom, and there was a wall, then govan front began. Not sure an overhang was there at all. I may be mistaken of course!!! :))
They could take the corners away totally and rebuild them for an all seater part rather than the screens, I think the issue now is the structural steelwork can’t be tampered with as it is just now but it can be fully taken away and started again to allow a proper structure to allow all Seats to be installed.
there’s loads of options of course but lowering the pitch seems to be the easiest and cheapest option.
Sure there was an overhang.

Agreed mate. I can't see anything really happening. And the clock is ticking.

And we can't even get the sides of stands cleaned in one go!!

Exactly. Work has stopped on the stadium.
Understandable on the inside as we are in season but surely works on the outside can be done on non matchday's?

I'm in a minority of one I think but I like the screens. Replacing them would make the stadium look a bit less unique imo.

I'd like to see us look into something similar to Liverpool and build on top of what we have. Finances obviously dictate this but I'm sure we could finance it given the extra income it'd bring in.

That connected a bit of the city that had terrible transport links and was part of a bigger plan including all the house building. Ibrox has a subway. They’re not comparable. No one is funding a new train station apart from the club and the cost will be way too high.
Given you know this, are you a top council official or Councillor then? Dalmarnock is halfway between both the M8 and M74 and is served very well by buses.

If SPT, GCC and ScotGov see it is viable from a financial point of view, in terms of reducing the carbon foot print and easing congestion it will happen. For example the Albion Carpark lying empty 340 days in the year you have an instant park and ride facility which impacts on the congestion on the M8/M74/M77

There is no business case for that. If the club want it, they’ll have to pay for the great majority of it.

Of course there isn't otherwise it would be open by now however they still will have to pay for part of the cost of it but we have contribute to it as it our request

moving seats down would create an even more hostile environment for visitors, our 12th man just gets stronger imo.

Of course there isn't otherwise it would be open by now however they still will have to pay for part of the cost of it but we have contribute to it as it our request

Don't agree with your first point. Plenty of stations and lines across the country have been re-opened or are currently under consideration.

2017 article:

Railway travel in Scotland is undergoing something of a renaissance, with passenger numbers growing and 14 new or rebuilt stations opening in the last decade.

Times change and Glasgow is developing at a reasonably fast pace. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the council see the Ibrox area as ripe for improvement.

Don't agree with your first point. Plenty of stations and lines across the country have been re-opened or are currently under consideration.

2017 article:

Times change and Glasgow is developing at a reasonably fast pace. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the council see the Ibrox area as ripe for improvement.

Not at moment but in the future

There 100% was an overhang. I'll post a picture of it when I'm back on the desktop.

Taking the corners away and starting again with the works like in 1995, doesn't stop the big black steel beams on the existing roofs needing supported.

Any seats you put in the rear above the current corner seats would be massively restricted views to the point it's not worth doing it.

The only way to put seats where the screens are is by putting new cantilever roof structures on the three new stands which is where costs go through the roof (pardon the pun) for what we're getting as an increase of 5000 seats

Last edited:
Hopefully when the study is finished they can give is an impression of what it will look like. I'd love to see it.

Surely with some alteration to the structure behind both corners, the screens could be moved furthar back and hopefully still hold up the roofs to provide a decent amount of extra seating. I like the sound of the overhangs too, maybe its going to be a few more cost efficient changes around the stadium to increase capacity rather than one big costly increase. 6000 extra seats would be sweet but it wont be cheap, then theres the logistics and timescale too factor in as well. Bold plan indeed but if its possible and affordable, then lets do it.

Back