Studies underway to add more seats to Ibrox in 2022

I’m trying to add a picture. Phones not allowing me to do it but I searched a few photos from the 90s etc. I’ve attached the link for photo anyway.
I don’t think it had an overhang. Again, I may be mistaken, hence the reason for the photo.

You can see the difference in the stands here

The Govan always had a cantilever top section on the front rows (this was extended for Bar72)

The end stands finish "flat" against the advertising boards between sections

If money wasn’t an option,

I’d like to see new screens and the areas to the left and right of the screens redesigned so they could fit seats there.

Also I read a few people say the Govan was designed that it could take a 3rd tier.

That would give us an extra 10k easy surely

After all this it will be no redesign just jamming seats into already cramped areas to maybe give us an extra thousand !

If money wasn’t an option,

I’d like to see new screens and the areas to the left and right of the screens redesigned so they could fit seats there.

Also I read a few people say the Govan was designed that it could take a 3rd tier.

That would give us an extra 10k easy surely

After all this it will be no redesign just jamming seats into already cramped areas to maybe give us an extra thousand !

Screens will probably be repositioned to the roofs of the Broomloan and Copland stands as they can be accommodated there without affecting the view.

Whatever happens away fans should be housed in far end of west enclosure.
Put netting etc whatever is required to keep them from throwing things.
High risk games should become bubble games to reduce police time and costs but more importantly protect Rangers fans from the scum
Couldn’t agree more mate, have always said the far end of the West enclosure was the best place for away fans, had a season ticket there years ago, the view was horrendous, why have Rangers fans there with terrible seats when we can put various away fans who wanted us dead there instead.

Of course there isn't otherwise it would be open by now however they still will have to pay for part of the cost of it but we have contribute to it as it our request
Agree. And the bigger picture of the point I was making (perhaps not all that well) is that there’s no way we’re going to contribute millions to a train station at the the same time as spending tens of millions on a stadium expansion.

Would be great if they could find a way of replacing the screens. They are awful.

we should be replacing the screens with ones that actually fit . That would be a start . Our current screens are like portable televisions and look ridiculously small with so much panelling around them . You get custom screens to fit your space these days and it would make some difference to the look of our ground .

6000 seats have been mentioned .

worth noting that we have only added approx 7000 extra seats since 1988 .

club deck , corners filled in , pitch lowered and extra rows in , removal of beams that separated the old coloured seats , Bar72 . All that work and money has seen capacity increase from 44,500 to 51000 .

the idea of 6000 extra seats is fanciful unless there major work going to be carried out imo

Because they want improved transport links across the city, to cut down on car use and to open up opportunities for business.
[/QUOTE
And reduce the carbon foot print. Government have targets to have every car electric by 2040...introducing another train station which has trains running through it to Largs, Ayr, Ardrossan, Paisley has the potential to take a huge number of cars off the road “every other Saturday”

This isn’t negativity and it’s obvious we do need a larger capacity Ibrox but i cant see us getting an additional 6K seats by lowering the pitch, we are very limited with the current layout without spending major money on stand modifications and im talking 40million plus, lowered pitch would be cheaper but impractical IMO

Sorry just cannot see it at all

Hope im wrong

club deck , corners filled in , pitch lowered and extra rows in , removal of beams that separated the old coloured seats , Bar72 . All that work and money has seen capacity increase from 44,500 to 51000 .

the idea of 6000 extra seats is fanciful unless there major work going to be carried out imo
That net gain of 7000 includes the enclosure being seated which reduced its capacity by around 4000 iirc, so the gains were probably around 11k

Probably in the minority here, but I’d much rather there was targeted investment in improving the existing concourses, toilets, catering facilities; the general matchday experience for our supporters.

Address this first then look at expansion; not the ‘quick win’ type to gain a few extra seats here or there - a long term re-development of the 3 x stands within scope.

Personal preference would be to demolish the corners in their entirety & start again.

Would love to see all of the seats replaced as part of the re-development plan, although that would be very costly for very little gain.

That stat is heavily influenced by the 44500 figure including the enclosures as standing. Not a true analysis to be fair.

6000 seats? The pitch would need to be lowered to the earth’s core to add that many surely :oops:
I'd be curious as to how far a drop would be needed. Anyone have a rough idea?
Number of seats round existing perimeter = X
6000/X = number of new rows needed.
Number of rows would give an idea of the additional pitch depth drop needed.

Again just to confirm , we can “ drill down “ as far as we like , but if we lower the pitch ANY further , we would need to supply club deck season book holders with those pop-out eyes on springs to be able to see the main stand side touchline . It’s almost restricted view as it is just now from some seats .

This fact alone should end the thread . We cannot lower the pitch and the club know this .

Work was going on inside the stadium and at the Hummel, how much money do you think we have?
Not being funny, but during the whole pre season we couldn't even get the concrete cleaned or the side panels completed on the sides of the Broomloan and Copland. Just one example why i have my doubts.

There has been a "feasibility study" going on for safe standing for years now mate. Look how that's turned out.
I went to the stage at the end of the most recent AGM and asked Robertson directly on the current status of safe standing and he more or less blamed the UB and the UEFA charges from a few months ago, despite the fact that safe standing is wanted by more than just the UB. He’d said at the 2018 AGM that there was a feasibility study at that point and the results would be released after the New Year, but the UEFA charges didn’t happen until September 2019 so it’s clearly an excuse.

The lower tiers on all the stands are built on top of aggregate and do not have any steel support structure. These can all be remodelled to change the angle of the terrace allowing each stand to be brought closer to the pitch. Main and Govan stands can easily fit 5 additional rows, probably more, with the Copland and Broomloan squeezing in 3-4 additional rows.
If the lower rear Copland and Broomloan are brought to the same level as the Govan this will a facilitate Bar 72 style extensions with perhaps as much as 5 rows additional seating

This has zero impact on existing upper stand structure and will not require the pitch level being lowered. Existing stand upper sightlines remain unchanged and the atmosshere is improved

6000 seats may be optimistic but it can be done relatively quickly and inexpensively. This also leave the upper structures available for future remodelling and expansion.

Cost,

6000 seats x £500 (average season ticket) x 10 years is £30 million.

Change average season ticket to £400 is £24 million.

Don't forget sold out Europa League games which could be champions League/qualifiers and this brings in £10 to £12 million extra over 10 years making it £36 to £42 million or once paid off £3.6 to £4.2 million extra a season for additional seats.
If it’s the corners that get filled in one will be for away fans and 1000s of seats won’t get used because of segregation.
Wish we would make a study of moving away fans to BF1.

Again just to confirm , we can “ drill down “ as far as we like , but if we lower the pitch ANY further , we would need to supply club deck season book holders with those pop-out eyes on springs to be able to see the main stand side touchline . It’s almost restricted view as it is just now from some seats .

This fact alone should end the thread . We cannot lower the pitch and the club know this .

You seriously think the feasibility study is some sort of ploy by the club?

For what reason?

The lower tiers on all the stands are built on top of aggregate and do not have any steel support structure. These can all be remodelled to change the angle of the terrace allowing each stand to be brought closer to the pitch. Main and Govan stands can easily fit 5 additional rows, probably more, with the Copland and Broomloan squeezing in 3-4 additional rows.
If the lower rear Copland and Broomloan are brought to the same level as the Govan this will a facilitate Bar 72 style extensions with perhaps as much as 5 rows additional seating

This has zero impact on existing upper stand structure and will not require the pitch level being lowered. Existing stand upper sightlines remain unchanged and the atmosshere is improved

6000 seats may be optimistic but it can be done relatively quickly and inexpensively. This also leave the upper structures available for future remodelling and expansion.

Thanks post post mate.

Do you know this for fact, ie do you work in construction/design or just your own personal thoughts?

The main stand roof. i.e the second tier roof affects the view from seats in club deck.

Whit? The Main Stand doesnt have a roof.

Its the concourse of the seats the CD sit on that's above our heads. How would that affect your sight line?

Unless you're meaning the seats at the rear of the Main Stand are affected by the CD concourse as they cant see the screens???

As an example both Anfield and Old Trafford pitches are much closer to their stands and Old Trafford counters pitch lowering. Rangers depend on spectator revenue and to increase our turnover we need to increase capacity.

As stated previously this can be done without any major super structure works needing to be carried out.

Anfield

Old Trafford

Did that also not include losing two enclosures?

As an example both Anfield and Old Trafford pitches are much closer to their stands and Old Trafford counters pitch lowering. Rangers depend on spectator revenue and to increase our turnover we need to increase capacity.

As stated previously this can be done without any major super structure works needing to be carried out.

Anfield

Old Trafford

Mate you need to read other posts. The guys in the club deck would not see their side of the pitch if it was lowered

Did that also not include losing two enclosures?

It did but we lost more seats from the rear of the Main Stand during the CD works than we did in seating the enclosures as the volume of work required underneath the CD was far greater than they imagined.

Look at the change in capacity from 1989 til it opened it 1991.

It "added" 7500 seats but the capacity didnt go up by anywhere near that.

Enclosures were seated til 95 and we covered that by shrinking the seat size.

CD and Main Stand look decent but it was a fully project for what it achieved and what it cost.

Anyone know of a person at the club I could contact regarding the wifi solution I mentioned earlier in this thread? I just submitted this on the website but don't want it to get lost in the system!

I was interested to read about the feasibility studies being commissioned regarding increasing the stadium capacity at Ibrox. Obviously one of the options I'm sure being examined is removing the big screens and filling in the corners.

As an IT person, I am aware of a product that provides high quality wifi to large venues that enables organizations to monetize their wifi system that also provides high quality wifi that would enable access to on-demand replays that would enable Rangers FC to remove the big screens while also increasing revenue.

I believe this would be a very interesting solution that should be included in your study. FYI, I am not in any business that would be associated with this solution, I am a lifelong Rangers fan that would love to see my club achieve its goals and understand the limitations for increasing revenue in place due to many factors. I truly believe this would achieve the goals of increasing stadium capacity, providing a customer service for fans and also realize an additional revenue stream.

images

The artificial lighting we use on the pitch now during the winter months would resolve the light issue. We would have to invest in more lights and the better ones but it's not an issue long term.

Seen these lights on the Ajax stadium tour recently, they have hardly any sunlight on their grass and they do just fine so really don’t see it being an issue.

Thanks post post mate.

Do you know this for fact, ie do you work in construction/design or just your own personal thoughts?

I'm an engineer and have worked in large scale construction for over 30 years. I have also reviewed the Ibrox designs and other stadia design.

Only the upper tiers at Ibrox have structural steel for the seating. If you view construction photographs and the publication issued at the time you can see how the stands were built. The main issue with expansion of the upper tiers are the roof supports. Carrying out the type of expansions I have proposed will allow expansion in the short term without touching these upper tiers.

The most difficult obstacle to overcome would be the Govan roof goal post support truss, it's huge. It would require massive supports ala Dortmund or replacement of the roof itself with a cantilever type to enable the corners to be fully filled in. This would only make sense if an extra tier was built along with additional facilities, this would be expensive. Liverpools main stand redelopement cost over £100 million.

The other "new" two stands could have their roof truss's supported at a lesser cost but this alone would mean only partial corner filling to be done.

The gaps at the main stand only really have a vertical box configuration available to fill in these spaces but could be integrated with the existing staircase and structure. This, I would suggest could be utilised for corporate and those with disabilities. The opening to the pitch from outside can still be incorporated via a tunnel.

That stat is heavily influenced by the 44500 figure including the enclosures as standing. Not a true analysis to be fair.

iirc 44500was the official capacityby 1988 .

we are at just over 51,000 .

during Murray’s tenure he stated Ibrox would hold in the region of 59,000 . Ibrox was meant to hold 52,000 after completion of the club deck .

it didn’t happen . We have officially increased Ibrox by approx 7000 seats after spending over £40 million on the various changes .

that tells me that to add an extra 6000 seats is going to take a lot of money and expertise to do and it would probably mean having to do more than simply lowering the pitch .

Bar72 added just under 700 seats .

so we would be looking at work 10 times the size of Bar72 .

I hope some form of redesign happens we need a larger capacity .

Back