Studies underway to add more seats to Ibrox in 2022

If it’s the corners that get filled in one will be for away fans and 1000s of seats won’t get used because of segregation.
Wish we would make a study of moving away fans to BF1.
totally agree get the awy fans in bf1 and the union bears with safe standing in the away end.

You seriously think the feasibility study is some sort of ploy by the club?

For what reason?

Not a ploy . We can test for this , check for that , we’ve already done safe standing and costed it but done nothing despite it being extremely cheap and easy to implement . These things happen all the time , and 90 per cent of the time nothing comes of it . The club announced huge changes and improvements To the surrounds of our stadium for our 150th year celebrations and so far = nothing . Not a thing has been done to the outside of Ibrox , not even so much as a clean . Forgive me for being sceptical of such an ambitious “ plan “ to add 6000 seats .

The only effective way to increase capacity without compromising the existing views of current season ticket holders (many have crap seats as it is) would be the option we cannot afford and that would be to fill in the corners. Since this subject comes up every couple of months I'll put it laymens terms for those of you that would struggle with an Ikea computer desk or have only worked in an office all your days :)) , the Copland, Broomloan and Goven Stands have a goalpost and crossbar style structure. To fill in the corners and give fans a unrestricted view of the pitch the "goalposts" in the corners will have to be removed meaning the crossbars now have to be supported. The existing roofs would have to be removed and replaced with modern lighter materials and a whole new structure to support it.....Maybe one day we could afford it, I hope so.

The lower tiers on all the stands are built on top of aggregate and do not have any steel support structure. These can all be remodelled to change the angle of the terrace allowing each stand to be brought closer to the pitch. Main and Govan stands can easily fit 5 additional rows, probably more, with the Copland and Broomloan squeezing in 3-4 additional rows.
If the lower rear Copland and Broomloan are brought to the same level as the Govan this will a facilitate Bar 72 style extensions with perhaps as much as 5 rows additional seating

This has zero impact on existing upper stand structure and will not require the pitch level being lowered. Existing stand upper sightlines remain unchanged and the atmosshere is improved

6000 seats may be optimistic but it can be done relatively quickly and inexpensively. This also leave the upper structures available for future remodelling and expansion.
Complete and utter bollocks .

why do folk make pish up ?

the govan , Copland and broomloan are supported by a steel structure . Only the enclosure was originally built as you say although that might’ve changed over the years .

ive included a pic of the govan that shows you’re talking mince

Don't know where you got that photo but that is not how the Govan is constructed, even the inset finished mock up shows that.

It is a photoshoped version to show a 3rd tier.

Not a ploy . We can test for this , check for that , we’ve already done safe standing and costed it but done nothing despite it being extremely cheap and easy to implement . These things happen all the time , and 90 per cent of the time nothing comes of it . The club announced huge changes and improvements To the surrounds of our stadium for our 150th year celebrations and so far = nothing . Not a thing has been done to the outside of Ibrox , not even so much as a clean . Forgive me for being sceptical of such an ambitious “ plan “ to add 6000 seats .

Safe standing brings the club no extra revenue.

And i say this as a huge advocate of safe standing at Ibrox.

I also think its to do with how the club view the actions and behaviour of the union bears but thats just my personal view.

But comparing safe standing and increasing our revenue and amount of bears who can come to Ibrox every week is apples and oranges.

An increase in capacity will come, what form and amount it will be will no doubt be dictated by costs/difficulty/return/timescale.

Personally i will wait until the feasibility study is carried out but we 100% NEED an increase in Ibrox’s capacity.

The only effective way to increase capacity without compromising the existing views of current season ticket holders (many have crap seats as it is) would be the option we cannot afford and that would be to fill in the corners. Since this subject comes up every couple of months I'll put it laymens terms for those of you that would struggle with an Ikea computer desk or have only worked in an office all your days :)) , the Copland, Broomloan and Goven Stands have a goalpost and crossbar style structure. To fill in the corners and give fans a unrestricted view of the pitch the "goalposts" in the corners will have to be removed meaning the crossbars now have to be supported. The existing roofs would have to be removed and replaced with modern lighter materials and a whole new structure to support it.....Maybe one day we could afford it, I hope so.

Better tell the club to cancel feasibility study then, no point in wasting money:p

Here is the actual Govan stand construction

you’re right , the picture I posted is photo shopped . Apologies for that .

however I’m still seeing other Ibrox construction pics showingsteel frame work although as not as clear I was would like

Better tell the club to cancel feasibility study then, no point in wasting money:p
Yup should have spoke to me first would have saved them a few bob . I do hope they can come up with something that doesn't compromise existing season ticket holders. I'd love the corners filled it would look magnificent, maybe one day

Heard that Keppie Archiects and ARUP Engineers are looking into this plus old Edminson House.

Still question of who will pay for it plus these seats would not be covered so if you were to extend the roof that would be very expensive

Yup should have spoke to me first would have saved them a few bob . I do hope they can come up with something that doesn't compromise existing season ticket holders. I'd love the corners filled it would look magnificent, maybe one day

It would indeed.

Seems that is a very rxpensive way to be increase capacity currently, i personally only see this happening if/when an extra tier is added to govan.

Think it may be along the lines of what other posters suggest in either lowering the pitched or using the extra space between stands and pitch/altering angle of lower tier but know these are not easy/perfect solutions.

But ye can only pee wi the cock yiv goat:))

That is a good pic. The roof structure going across the front would be overkill in modern times. The pic does show the problems we have filling in the corners, that vertical support structure has to go.

As you say the only way of solving this issue would be to replace the roof and I dont think that would happen unless we were adding an extra tier to make it worthwhilelong term.

We all want a bigger capacity and in the short term the space between the stands and the pitch is the only option along with Bar72 style behind the goals. I don't think this would equate to 6K though.

Heard that Keppie Archiects and ARUP Engineers are looking into this plus old Edminson House.

Still question of who will pay for it plus these seats would not be covered so if you were to extend the roof that would be very expensive

Where you hear this mate?

The newer stands actually extend beyond the seating at present so would technically cover the pitch side seating extension. The main stand doesn't but could have a light weight extension to the existing.

Just how much cover you would get on a dreech night in Glasgow would be open to question but that is the trade off.

Last edited:
The newer stands actually extend beyond the seating at present so would technically cover the pitch side seating extension. The main stand doesn't but could have a light weight extension to the existing.

Just how much cover you would get on a driech night in Glsagow would be open to question but that is the trade off.

I remember sitting in the old south stand at Hampden where the seats were beyond the roof. Soaked through, but didn't care a toss, as we beat the tims 1-0. Ally scored, Davie Roberstson had been sent off early doors. That was almost certainly a dreich Glasgow night in terms of weather!!

I remember sitting in the old south stand at Hampden where the seats were beyond the roof. Soaked through, but didn't care a toss, as we beat the tims 1-0. Ally scored, Davie Roberstson had been sent off early doors. That was almost certainly a dreich Glasgow night in terms of weather!!

Ive sat around 15 rows up in copland front and still got droont with the way the wind was blowing the rain in:D

are you saying theyre not going to get wet?
I'm saying that people will get wet anyway depending on the way the wind blows. Also you cant tell me that the first row of seats is plum with with the edge of the roof surely? Their might be an overhang already

in regards to the new front rows being open to the weather conditions, i assume a lightweight translucent extension to the front of the original stand roofs could be added to counter this

the govan , Copland and broomloan are supported by a steel structure . Only the enclosure was originally built as you say although that might’ve changed over the years .

That first picture is clearly not the govan

Could we not extend the roof support on the Govan past each corner section and encompass it within a new corner design?Similar to how it is now within the screens.

Any new corner roofing can be supported similar to how Borussia Dortmund have theirs?

Cant see how much more can be accommodated by going down the way and there would need to be some rather spectacular drainage systems in place. What about the ashes buried around the inside of the ground ? I'd get rid of the screens (unless they have an important part to play with VAR) and look to all 4 corners for a solution first.

Ive sat around 15 rows up in copland front and still got droont with the way the wind was blowing the rain in:D

I was about the same up the Govan Front for Walters last home game verses Dundee Hibs and when I was leaving it looked like I had just dragged myself out the Clyde.

Don't know where you got that photo but that is not how the Govan is constructed, even the inset finished mock up shows that.

I just spent about 10 minutes looking at the first picture posted by Calvinist all zoomed in thinking there is something not right with that?? Bottom tier is out of line. Been better if I had scrolled down and seen this :)

I’ve sat soaked about 15 rows back on the Govan Front (4-4 game v Filth).

It rains like f*ck in Scotland and is windy. LOL

you’re right , the picture I posted is photo shopped . Apologies for that .

however I’m still seeing other Ibrox construction pics showingsteel frame work although as not as clear I was would like
No worries:)

The bottom tiers don't have anything to do with the upper and more importantly the roof structure. It is really the only way to increase capacity without major structural works.

The bottom tiers are at a 22 degree slope so adjusting slightly would still hopefully allow enough of an angle to provide decent views. Man City's lower tier is at an 18 degree angle for example.

No worries:)

The bottom tiers don't have anything to do with the upper and more importantly the roof structure. It is really the only way to increase capacity without major structural works.

The bottom tiers are at a 22 degree slope so adjusting slightly would still hopefully allow enough of an angle to provide decent views. Man City's lower tier is at an 18 degree angle for example.
In layman’s terms mate is what your proposing making the angle more steep or less steep? Non engineer loyal.

FFS you'd think they might have made the trackside benches a wee bit longer :rolleyes:

Agree with this.
I think we need to be sensible at the moment. We all love our stadium and we'd all want something that has a greater capacity than the tims but we don't have a great deal of available cash just now and there are parts of Ibrox that need a load of TLC. Let's get what we have looking as good as poss and also get a successful team on the pitch. We do that we can then look to much bigger and better upgrades. Think that lot got about 30m from CL last time around. While they won't spend any cash I'd feel confident our board would use any cash surplus to upgrade Ibrox more.

Just my opinion and appreciate its probably against the grain of this thread.

I'm saying that people will get wet anyway depending on the way the wind blows. Also you cant tell me that the first row of seats is plum with with the edge of the roof surely? Their might be an overhang already
I remember an article in the Rangers News when the Copland was being built in 1978-79, saying that big Peter McCloy could stay dry at that end because the roof overhung the bye-line.
Whether the article was completely serious or not I don’t know, but with the prevailing wind from the west I doubt if anyone in the front few rows stays dry.

Im not saying it was , I’m saying we haven’t done a single thing in terms of improving the surrounds of the stadium for our 150th year . We are two years away and nothing has been done .
You’re correct, even just safe standing would be excellent but still absolutely nothing except replacing side panels of the Broomloan and Copland.

Thank god we have someone who actually knows something. I was told that it was pretty much unfeasible for the corner stuff years ago by Sam Thorburn (my mum was his PA).

Back