Studies underway to add more seats to Ibrox in 2022

I
As you say the only way of solving this issue would be to replace the roof and I dont think that would happen unless we were adding an extra tier to make it worthwhilelong term.

We all want a bigger capacity and in the short term the space between the stands and the pitch is the only option along with Bar72 style behind the goals. I don't think this would equate to 6K though.

How much of an increase do you think that’d give us?

Sounds sensible what you’re suggesting (although I’m not an engineer), even if it doesn’t increase the capacity as much as we’d like as long as it’s not too expensive and doesn’t prohibit future increase. From your pictures of Anfield and OT there definitely scope for moving the stands closer to pitch.

Thank god we have someone who actually knows something. I was told that it was pretty much unfeasible for the corner stuff years ago by Sam Thorburn (my mum was his PA).
It is not unfeasible to do, just expensive for the amout of extra seating we would get. Probably around 2-3k per corner dependant on design. With the Govan truss being the main engineering problem it really only makes sense if another tier is placed on top when the roof is replaced.

A new tier brings it's own issues with supports and foundations and will cost similar to Anfields new stand.

All in all it needs to be done in stages

1. Utilise the space between the stands and pitch. Totals depend on how many rows.
Govan 230 per row 1000-1500
Main 200 per row 1000-2000
Copland 150 per row 300-600
Broomloan 150 per row 300-600
2. Bar 72 style at the Copland and Broomloan upper 1000-1500k

Worst case we would be looking at 3500 and absolutely pushing it 6000.

I remember an article in the Rangers News when the Copland was being built in 1978-79, saying that big Peter McCloy could stay dry at that end because the roof overhung the bye-line.
Whether the article was completely serious or not I don’t know, but with the prevailing wind from the west I doubt if anyone in the front few rows stays dry.

I had a season ticket for the front row of The Copland near the corner with The Main Stand. Before the Club Deck was built the water used to get blown out of The Main Stand's guttering and soak us all. And you're right about the wind - a mass retreat towards the back (plenty empty seats then) was in order for anything more than a spot of the wet stuff.

Could we not extend the roof support on the Govan past each corner section and encompass it within a new corner design?Similar to how it is now within the screens.

Any new corner roofing can be supported similar to how Borussia Dortmund have theirs?

This would defo be the way, but I expect costly, would look great.

Last edited:
Just to go the point made earlier about the 22 degrees angle, there was a post on another thread with elevation plans of the govan stand compared to the end stands.

Found the post by @Beer Belly Loyal below showing the differences

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...on-proposals-evening-times.97902/post-4757346

Ooh engineer friends:))

He was the stadium go to man at that time, they pretty much got bombed out when DM came in and refused to use any contractors connected to the LM regime. Apparently he advised DM against the design of the club deck, advice DM rued not listening to as the project was a bit of a disappointment with it being too steep and the inability to see the far touchline from the top few rows.

and another

This shows the main problem with the roof truss. It is massive.
Makes me wonder how the stan
and another

This shows the main problem with the roof truss. It is massive.
Some people have said these stands were designed to allow a third tier. That may be the case in terms of their strength and the loads they can take but it looks quite obvious from your photo that the "crossbar" of a stand would need to be removed to allow viewing from a third tier, and that looks major when looking at how substantial those crossbars are.

It looks as if Ibrox was so well made that it's going to be difficult to add significant numbers without major costs.

It won't add significant numbers but would like to see the ends of the enclosures rising up higher and curving round towards the Copland and Broomloan. Couldn't go too near to the end stands without taking away part of the Copland/Broomloan sides but could get a thousand or so at each corner if similar to the other corners.

I wonder if the Club underestimated the potential attendances when the “new” Ibrox was designed in the 70s, with the three new stands having a combined capacity of 25,000 which added to the existing Main Stand and Enclosures gave us 44,000 in total - the attendance at the last ever game before reconstruction began was 65,000 for John Greig’s testimonial.
Then in 1986 when we brought Graeme Souness in demand went through the roof and the piecemeal expansions had to happen, the Club Deck and the front corners added but screens in the rear corners. I wonder if the screens were done because the cost of seating the whole corners even then was prohibitive despite the bluster about “beambacks” being the way ahead?

I don't get everyone's hatred of the screens. When they didn't work for a while everyone moaned like feck to get them back on. It's great for replays of goals and when VAR comes in will allow us to see the incidents at the same time. This can no doubt have an advantage in us putting pressure on officials

when VAR comes in will allow us to see the incidents at the same time. This can no doubt have an advantage in us putting pressure on officials

That will never happen any time soon. I’m not even aware of any VAR implementation that shows live replays to football stadiums, anywhere.

Rugby Union, yes. With the TMO - but not VAR.

Look, we're struggling to remain self sufficient nevermind spending 50 million on new tiers etc. That isn't going to happen in the short to medium term. I quite like the balcony style on top of the govan corners, digging down to add a few rows and adding a few rows on top of the sandy jardine. Ultimately, the club have said a 'few thousand' seats. That means we will see a few thosuand max. It's underwhelming, however unless bears get behind a scheme that funds major change it won't happen. If we could raise 10 million as fans, we win the league and qualify for the CL, plus we sell Alfie and Borna for 50 million combined then we might see something a little more ambitious.

Look, we're struggling to remain self sufficient nevermind spending 50 million on new tiers etc. That isn't going to happen in the short to medium term. I quite like the balcony style on top of the govan corners, digging down to add a few rows and adding a few rows on top of the sandy jardine. Ultimately, the club have said a 'few thousand' seats. That means we will see a few thosuand max. It's underwhelming, however unless bears get behind a scheme that funds major change it won't happen. If we could raise 10 million as fans, we win the league and qualify for the CL, plus we sell Alfie and Borna for 50 million combined then we might see something a little more ambitious.
I would rather we have Safe Standing before then. I want Ibrox to have an atmosphere consistently on a week-to-week basis, no matter the opposition.

I wonder if the Club underestimated the potential attendances when the “new” Ibrox was designed in the 70s, with the three new stands having a combined capacity of 25,000 which added to the existing Main Stand and Enclosures gave us 44,000 in total - the attendance at the last ever game before reconstruction began was 65,000 for John Greig’s testimonial.
Then in 1986 when we brought Graeme Souness in demand went through the roof and the piecemeal expansions had to happen, the Club Deck and the front corners added but screens in the rear corners. I wonder if the screens were done because the cost of seating the whole corners even then was prohibitive despite the bluster about “beambacks” being the way ahead?

The highest average attendance for a season in our entire history up untill the 70s was about 45k believe it or not . So maybe they based it on that. The year we had 118k at Ibrox we only averaged about 24k for the year.

Would this not cause view restrictions to back of club deck.

I'd be certain that dropping the pitch any further would lead to the back rows of the Club Deck becoming restricted view.

We'd need to narrow the pitch to Dynamo Kiev levels in order to keep the seats at the back able to see both touchlines without restriction.

Hopefully the club take their time on this and do anything rash that could negatively impact the Ibrox experience for others.

Safe standing doesnt generate more money.

We need cash before we need people standing at games.

If we can sell spaces to a ratio more than 1:1 then yes, it could generate us money. And bring back the atmosphere too.

Should there be a redevelopment, that's the time to address not only safe standing but also the disabled section which is currently unacceptable.

As a comparison Liverpool have plans to add another 7000 seats to their Anfield Road Stand increasing it from 9000 capacity to 16000.

Interesting fact about Liverpool from the Price of Football podcast. They limit season ticket sales to 25,000.

This allows them to service day tripper, international tourists etc who, if they do only one visit to Anfield that year, will also supplement the trip by spending a few hundred quid in the megastore.

Tourists spend the money every week on merch, those that go every week don't.

An interesting approach. Obviously we don't have the same kind of tourist market here (and let's not even talk about our megastore) but it's an interesting strategy based around maximising matchday spend for the benefit of the club.

A more basic thing I’d like to see an update is the concourses. We can’t make hot food and although we can’t sell drink there is no facility for concerts. No heating, seating and limited TVs. We should be trying to modernise those areas which would eventually repay itself. I wonder if they could even be expanded to move the turnstiles further back

A more basic thing I’d like to see an update is the concourses. We can’t make hot food and although we can’t sell drink there is no facility for concerts. No heating, seating and limited TVs. We should be trying to modernise those areas which would eventually repay itself. I wonder if they could even be expanded to move the turnstiles further back

Our contract with elior catering finishes the end of this season so think we would all hope/expect there to be a massive improvment in the food options and quality for next season.

The highest average attendance for a season in our entire history up untill the 70s was about 45k believe it or not . So maybe they based it on that. The year we had 118k at Ibrox we only averaged about 24k for the year.
The attendances certainly fluctuated, I was at a Scottish Cup tie against Hibs at Ibrox in January 1970 and the crowd was over 73,000. The previous week we played Ayr United in the league at Ibrox and the crowd was 32,000.

Heard that Keppie Archiects and ARUP Engineers are looking into this plus old Edminson House.

Still question of who will pay for it plus these seats would not be covered so if you were to extend the roof that would be very expensive

I've worked with both of them on my last two jobs. Wonder if we will get a contact and I will be involved in the design :D

If there's serious talk about taking the screens away and increasing seats numbers this is the way to do it.

The roof has to come off the Govan and, like they did for the San Siro, you build a larger structure to the rear of the Govan where Argyll House is that allows an additional tier.

A cantilver roof is then put on "similar" to the Club Deck. The same happens with the roofs in the corners.

We might get away with leaving the goal post structures on the end stands ( depending on how well they can be re-engineered) but it would end up with a few sight lines being restricted as the pillar is required to be retained from the existing structure. Something could possibly be done to lessen the loading and the two black goal post pillars, at the Govan side of the stands, can be moved further back but it does provide restricted views.

It's similar to what Liverpool have currently done. Theirs cost figures that we couldn't even dream of at the moment unless there was investment based on naming of the stand / stadium. It's such a long term pay back that it's basically never going to happen as far as our current set up goes.

We wouldn't have to build the additional tier all the same unless we were trying to hit 65k which is overkill IMO.

If we got to 60k it'd be plenty. You're adding about 5k to the capacity with the upper corner sections filled in. If this was coupled with the feasability studies currently going on with adding seats by lowering the pitch, you'd pretty much be there at 60k.

Again, though, there's the option to just add rows to the back of the existing Govan rather than create a complete Club Deck style tier and the seats would be better up there than below current ground level. 10 rows would add 3k to the 5k from the corners and pretty much be 60k. You lose Argyll House at that point though.

It's all possible but when it comes down to money, it's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Courtesy of Beer Belly Loyal and Baron von Pie Muncher (are they related)

This shows how lessening the angle of terrace would allow the top tier of the Copland and Broomloan to have a Govan style Bar72 extension. The Govan has a 5-6 seat overhang.

Some people have said these stands were designed to allow a third tier. That may be the case in terms of their strength and the loads they can take but it looks quite obvious from your photo that the "crossbar" of a stand would need to be removed to allow viewing from a third tier, and that looks major when looking at how substantial those crossbars are.

It looks as if Ibrox was so well made that it's going to be difficult to add significant numbers without major costs.

It won't add significant numbers but would like to see the ends of the enclosures rising up higher and curving round towards the Copland and Broomloan. Couldn't go too near to the end stands without taking away part of the Copland/Broomloan sides but could get a thousand or so at each corner if similar to the other corners.
Courtesy of Beer Belly Loyal and Baron von Pie Muncher (are they related)

This shows how lessening the angle of terrace would allow the top tier of the Copland and Broomloan to have a Govan style Bar72 extension. The Govan has a 5-6 seat overhang.

We really don't want to be lowering them though. They're elevated as it is so you've got some form of sight line to the far end of the park from behind the goals. That's why they were different to the Govan in the first place.

Any work we do should be for improvements and not to the detriment of existing seats (which is something Murray completely failed to take heed of with the loss of Main Stand seats creating the Club Deck and the half assed way the Enclosures were seated)

If there's serious talk about taking the screens away and increasing seats numbers this is the way to do it.

The roof has to come off the Govan and, like they did for the San Siro, you build a larger structure to the rear of the Govan where Argyll House is that allows an additional tier.

A cantilver roof is then put on "similar" to the Club Deck. The same happens with the roofs in the corners.

We might get away with leaving the goal post structures on the end stands ( depending on how well they can be re-engineered) but it would end up with a few sight lines being restricted as the pillar is required to be retained from the existing structure. Something could possibly be done to lessen the loading and the two black goal post pillars, at the Govan side of the stands, can be moved further back but it does provide restricted views.

It's similar to what Liverpool have currently done. Theirs cost figures that we couldn't even dream of at the moment unless their was investment based on naming of the stand / stadium. It's such a long term pay back that it's basically never going to happen as far as our current set up goes.

We wouldn't have to build the additional tier all the same unless we were trying to hit 70k which is overkill IMO. If we got to 60k it'd be plenty. You're adding about 5k to the capacity with the upper corner sections filled in. If this was coupled with the feasability studies currently going on with adding seats by lowering the pitch, you'd pretty much be there at 60k.

Thanks for posting mate very informative.

Im guessing you have an engineering background.

Would you be able to take an educated guess and what it may cost to actually fill in the corners and you reckon this would give us an extra 5k? seems a lot to me.

Also what would be your estimate on the cost for lowering the pitch and adding seating or does this really depend on the feasibility study and also how many seats we are looking to add + potential issues to overcome?

4500 new season ticket holder seats is 10% increase of our season ticket income which is currently at £15M.

Throw in euro sales and other cup games and you would be looking at an extra £2M per season. Even £10M cost to do it would be worth it if it's paying for itself in only 5 years.

Interesting fact about Liverpool from the Price of Football podcast. They limit season ticket sales to 25,000.

This allows them to service day tripper, international tourists etc who, if they do only one visit to Anfield that year, will also supplement the trip by spending a few hundred quid in the megastore.

Tourists spend the money every week on merch, those that go every week don't.

An interesting approach. Obviously we don't have the same kind of tourist market here (and let's not even talk about our megastore) but it's an interesting strategy based around maximising matchday spend for the benefit of the club.

Even if we had the tourist-numbers of a premier league club, i'd hate for us to adopt this approach.

The matchday experience is the heart and soul of the football club. To restrict the hardcore support - a huge number who are unable to get a ticket in any case - to welcome daytrippers would be a bad move.

I get the business motive, but the proliferation of TV coverage and media hype afforded to the EPL makes this a wee bit of an unnecessary step in my opinion.

Half and half scarfs galore.

F*ck that.

Thanks for posting mate very informative.

Im guessing you have an engineering background.

Would you be able to take an educated guess and what it may cost to actually fill in the corners and you reckon this would give us an extra 5k? seems a lot to me.

Also what would be your estimate on the cost for lowering the pitch and adding seating or does this really depend on the feasibility study and also how many seats we are looking to add + potential issues to overcome?

It's very much "how long is a bit of string?"

Man U added 7500 to their capacity by filling in the upper corners of the stand opposite their camera so similar to what we'd look at doing and it was somewhere between £50m and £75m 10 years ago.

I don't know the complete ins and outs of that particular project but given it's similar in terms of what it achieved, it's going to up there around those kind of silly figures. As a soon as we're above £20m and costs which aren't going to be paid back within a 5-10 year period, I just don't see it being an option.

We were £14m for 7500 seats in the CD in 1990. It today's money that's about £40m and we have to bear in mind that for those 7500 additional seats, we only added about 4500 - 5000 to the capacity as the Main Stand lost a load given Murray's architects failings on that project. That was also for works that solely concentrated on one stand. We have to deal with the end stands during any of these works.

There was a discussion on the thread about Edmiston House about it all. We had people telling us on that thread you could add 10k to the Copland! Lol. The entire stand as it is holds 8000. The back row would be in Livingston.

You look at Liverpool's recent Main Stand works and it was £100m for that. They added 8500 to their capacity. Again, the argument back on that thread from a certain poster was "you don't need to spend EPL money" but unfortunately building works don't trickle down cost wise as EPL payments do compared to SPL levels.

Also on the Liverpool element of things, they don't have the integration to the end stands as we're trying to achieve.

upload pic

They did knock down their existing lower tiers to start again which obviously had massive costs but what we have to do with the corner roofs and any works coming round the corner greatly increase our potential spend.

You have to consider lost revenue when the works are ongoing. Do we relocate to Hampden or tell 10k people in the Govan they can't have their ST for a year?

The lower section under the screen currently holds 800 or so seats. You'd get approximately three times that in the upper area. Consider it like a piece of Dairylea cheese. You've got one wedge in the lower section, you'd have three in the top sections at either end of the ground so roughly 2400 x 2

It just can't see it happening while we operate under current spending levels.

Last edited:
I would rather we have Safe Standing before then. I want Ibrox to have an atmosphere consistently on a week-to-week basis, no matter the opposition.

My issue with safe standing is that that doesn't automatically create an atmosphere. Ibrox can be the loudest place you could imagine when we've got the current set up.

If you're plodding against Kilmarnock at home, that atmosphere isn't going to be great even if 20k are standing.

I'm not against it if there's a call for it from a large enough number but I'd rather seats were added where possible while we have a demand for that.

It's similar to what Liverpool have currently done. Theirs cost figures that we couldn't even dream of at the moment unless their was investment based on naming of the stand / stadium. It's such a long term pay back that it's basically never going to happen as far as our current set up goes.

We wouldn't have to build the additional tier all the same unless we were trying to hit 65k which is overkill IMO.

If we got to 60k it'd be plenty. You're adding about 5k to the capacity with the upper corner sections filled in. If this was coupled with the feasability studies currently going on with adding seats by lowering the pitch, you'd pretty much be there at 60k.

Again, though, there's the option to just add rows to the back of the existing Govan rather than create a complete Club Deck style tier and the seats would be better up there than below current ground level. 10 rows would add 3k to the 5k from the corners and pretty much be 60k. You lose Argyll House at that point though.

These drawings are quite incredible. There would be a hell of a lot of steelwork in the Govan stand. I love the way the Etihad in Manchester’s roof is constructed and held up with suspension cables. It gives the stadium a presence from across the City!

It's very much "how long is a bit of string?"

Man U added 7500 to their capacity by filling in the upper corners of the stand opposite their camera so similar to what we'd look at doing and it was somewhere between £50m and £75m 10 years ago.

I don't know the complete ins and outs of that particular project but given it's similar in terms of what it achived, it's going to up there around those kind of silly figures. As a soon as we're above £20m and costs which aren't going to be paid back within a 5-10 year period, I just don't see it being an option.

We were £14m for 7500 seats in the CD in 1990. It today's money that's about £40m and we have to bear in mind that for those 7500 additional seats, we only added about 4500 - 5000 to the capacity as the Main Stand lost a load given Murray's architects failings on that project. That was also for works that solely concentrated on one stand. We have to deal with the end stands during any of these works.

There was a discussion on the thread about Edmiston House about it all. We had people telling us on that thread you could add 10k to the Copland! Lol. The entire stand as it is holds 8000. The back row would be in Livngston.

You look at Liverpool's recent Main Stand works and it was £100m for that. They added 8500 to their capacity. Again, the argument back on that thread from a certain poster was "you don't need to spend EPL money" but unfortunately building works don't trickle down cost wise as EPL payments do compared to SPL levels.

Also on the Liverpool element of things, they don't have the integration to the end stands as we're trying to achieve.

upload pic

They did knock down their existing lower tiers to start again which obviously had massive costs but what we have to do with the corner roofs and any works coming round the corner greatly increase our potential spend.

You have to consider lost revenue when the works are ongoing. Do we relocate to Hampden or tell 10k people in the Govan they can't have their ST for a year?

The lower section under the screen currently holds 800 or so seats. You'd get appoximately three times that in the upper area. Consider it like a piece of Dairylea cheese. You've got one wedge in the lower section, you'd have three in the top sections at either end of the ground so roughly 2400 x 2

It just can't see it happening while we operate under current spending levels.

Wow I did not realise Man U spent that for a similar style/amount increase in their corners, that really is a sobering amount and does put things into perspective, 100% agree that whilst we play in the SPl we could only dream of spending that amount for a 10% increase in capacity.

Looks like it is going to be trying to get bits and bobs tacked on here and there for the forseeable.

Also agree that any large-ish increase or redevelopment in the future, ie corners filled in, new tier onto govan etc would need to be financed through naming rights and/or debenture style ticketing.

4500 new season ticket holder seats is 10% increase of our season ticket income which is currently at £15M.

Throw in euro sales and other cup games and you would be looking at an extra £2M per season. Even £10M cost to do it would be worth it if it's paying for itself in only 5 years.

I just can't see us adding that number of seats for that cost to an existing structure. No works in the UK have increased stadium capacity at a stadium with our capacity at that ratio of £ per seat in recent times.

Those images look ace, I guess it could only happen by rebranding Ibrox ie sponsorship, as someone would need to pay for it

They'll be extra steel in there because Murray will have sold us it, that's why it will have been made so well

It's crazy money when you consider the likes of Windsor park was almost fully rebuilt ( 3 new stands and one refurbished ) all for approx £25 million ? Total capacity 18,000.

Man Utd/Liverpool would be paying top wack, no expense spared for their developments. I like to think that those clubs with less financial clout can still afford some sort of stadium development, otherwise we’re effectively stuck at an unchanged Ibrox forever.

It is not unfeasible to do, just expensive for the amout of extra seating we would get. Probably around 2-3k per corner dependant on design. With the Govan truss being the main engineering problem it really only makes sense if another tier is placed on top when the roof is replaced.

A new tier brings it's own issues with supports and foundations and will cost similar to Anfields new stand.

All in all it needs to be done in stages

1. Utilise the space between the stands and pitch. Totals depend on how many rows.
Govan 230 per row 1000-1500
Main 200 per row 1000-2000
Copland 150 per row 300-600
Broomloan 150 per row 300-600
2. Bar 72 style at the Copland and Broomloan upper 1000-1500k

Worst case we would be looking at 3500 and absolutely pushing it 6000.

I would suggest digging down as far as possible and then doing what you recommend - i.e. re-sloping the lower levels to maximise the benefits. Going by the seat plan on the ticket page of the website you're slightly underestimating the number of seats in each row. I'd also look at re-shaping the enclosure corners to arc slightly towards the end stands so the sight lines are improved and we don't lose the seats at the wings we currently do.

Do these and I think you could gain more than 6K I think around 1000 seats per row is achievable, and I think we could get more than 6 rows. Admittedly it'd be a higher cost but I think it's still in the realms of cost effective as it still isn't touching the upper tier construction in any stand.

The other interesting bit I noticed in the original pics were the little wedges of seats bridging across as small second tiers in front of where the screens are. Those feel like they'd be a vanity project in terms of number of seats v cost, but do you have any feel for how expensive they would be and how many seats we could realistically add there.

6000 seats? The pitch would need to be lowered to the earth’s core to add that many surely :oops:
Say 250 seats per row on each side and 125 at the goal ends is 750 per row. Lets say 1m per row is then 8m deep (probably closer to 0.5m per row). Probably need about half a meter per seat inwards too so 4m removed from the each side of the pitch too. Looks doable but might need to reduce some of the pitch size

Last edited:
Say 250 seats per row on each side and 125 at the goal ends is 750 per row. Lets say 1m per row is then 8m deep. Probably need about half a meter per seat inwards too so 4m removed from the each side of the pitch too. Looks doable but might need to reduce some of the pitch size

Slight tangent and not sure how accurate or up to date this is but gives pitch dimensions of scottish clubs.

According to this our pitch is 115x78(yards) whereas the mentally challengeds sty is 105x68 - always thought their pitch looks bigger than ours.

Slight tangent and not sure how accurate or up to date this is but gives pitch dimensions of scottish clubs.

According to this our pitch is 115x78(yards) whereas the mentally challengeds sty is 105x68 - always thought their pitch looks bigger than ours.

SPFL Rules state the pitch must be between 95-110 metres in length and between 60-72 metres in width, with a recommended size of 105m x 68m. I don't think there is any reliable info published on actual pitch dimensions per club.

Often the distance of the stands from the pitch etc can create an 'optical illusion' of a pitch being 'bigger' or 'smaller' than another.

I wonder what the rule is for how close the pitch can be to the front row of each stand .

Im sure uefa have an actual distance that it needs to be . The closer the better atmosphere wise .

SPFL Rules state the pitch must be between 95-110 metres in length and between 60-72 metres in width, with a recommended size of 105m x 68m. I don't think there is any reliable info published on actual pitch dimensions per club.

Often the distance of the stands from the pitch etc can create an 'optical illusion' of a pitch being 'bigger' or 'smaller' than another.

Hampden being the main example.

Back