Cliftonville v Linfield live on sky sports tonight

Good result for Linfield and well played young Mitchell, liked the shush to the Earl Haigs after the penalty. On a side note, Steve Lomas sounded like he was hurting doing the co-commentary ..... he of the Dark Side?

Good result for Linfield and well played young Mitchell, liked the shush to the Earl Haigs after the penalty. On a side note, Steve Lomas sounded like he was hurting doing the co-commentary ..... he of the Dark Side?

I don’t think he is. From his time in Scotland, I just think he’s a bit of a prick.

Same shape as Homer J tae.

Well done Linfield, caught all of the second half. Could quite easily have been 2-4. The poet full back at the end missed the best chance for them.

And Cooper too busy fuukin about wi the baw instead of looking tae get teammates in for goals.

We had a thread on signing him a good while back, so I I still prefer men say he was the dark side.

Crues + Larne + Glentoran currently FT
Don’t the blues have around 8 or 9 full time players or did I just dream that up? The Glens have 10 from what I read in the Belfast telegraph last week so Larne and the crues are the only full time professional clubs.
That pitch at solitude is an absolute joke. Even for a plastic park it’s a shocker and obviously been done on the cheap. I was at Inver park for the Larne/Cliftonville game over Xmas and the pitch we have is superb. Didn’t see any bits of black plastic even when the players kicked the ball.

FIESTY
Great set up these days. Larne have pumped a lot of money into the youth set up and the kids love it and are developing really well! Suppose having a full time head of youth helps but majority of coaches are still voluntary
That’s great to hear. We used to train down on the fields next to the leisure centre. My old coach was Workman. Forget his first name. I believe he passed away a good few years ago. Nice fella. All the best to your lads in their development

Breaks my heart to see how Cliftonville has turned out.
Years ago as a kid I often went to The Solitude just to watch a game of football and even in the 70s it was still a safe place to go.
That was before it was polluted by those from Ardoyne and The New Lodge.
Look at the state of the club now. Maybe a better team but an awful set of supporters.

Reactions: SSR
cliftonville before the troubles were a small mostly protestant club ,the area around solitude would have been a middle class unionist area, that all started to change around the late 60s, when the rc church began buying up some of the large houses and renting them to their own the demographics of the area changed pretty quickly after then to an almost exclusively nationalist part of north belfast, although not far from the ground, the torrens estate remained as a loyalist encave surrounded by republicans up until about a dozen years ago, when the last prods left,the place was flattened and a brand new estate built in place of it,exclusively nationalist these days

Reactions: SSR
For those interested - worthwhile doing a little reading on the cliftonville cricket club also. A real shame what happened to the area.

Below is from wiki, which I suspect is what is being alluded to by Sir Steve:

In 1880, the club adopted its present name and moved to the Cliftonville Cricket Ground on the Cliftonville Road, where it played until 1972. In that year, the club was forced to vacate the ground after a series of sectarian attacks against members and the looting and burning of the clubhouse by a hostile mob

Breaks my heart to see how Cliftonville has turned out.
Years ago as a kid I often went to The Solitude just to watch a game of football and even in the 70s it was still a safe place to go.
That was before it was polluted by those from Ardoyne and The New Lodge.
Look at the state of the club now. Maybe a better team but an awful set of supporters.
Heard they weren't a Republican club but the support changed when the area changed.

Back