The Clubs silence on the Alfredo article

Don't understand this train of thought.

As mentioned independent organisations had the ability to put something out without consulting anyone. What other possible outcome could come from discussing with players and management, would the club be talked into thinking it's not so bad?

Absolutely disgusting we have not already come out and banned the Sun until that guy is gone at the very least.

Independant organisations? You mean fan accounts sending tweets out? Not quite the same as the club speaking to management and the player before responding.

With respect, they are required to act NOW!
Well I hope they do act today. For the sake of our confidence in them I agree they need to act. But reading incompetent and unforgivable is just ridiculous statements. Inaction should be held to account, Club 1872 are in talks with the board as major shareholders, I expect something to happen on it.

Not sure what people expect.

The new regime showed contempt for the ordinary fan on day one when they thanked the Daily Rhebel for their assistance in the takeover.

Businessmen at that level operate differently from the rest of us. They make a wee phone call, receive an apology then they move on.

F@#$ that!!!

There are countless examples over the years where have club have done nothing and said nothing.

People are rightly dubious/sceptical about anything happening on this one.

Do you mind if I ask you, what action you think the club should take and how things, hypothetically, play out in that scenario?

Whats this?

Alan Brazil claimed someone from our club went for Stewart after the final.

It was of course bollocks, Stewart was pished and goaded a directors young son, witnessed by many.

The club weren’t slow in letting everyone know that the information Brazil spouted on air was spectacularly wrong.

Do you mind if I ask you, what action you think the club should take and how things, hypothetically, play out in that scenario?
I'm this case it is quite simple. An outright and immediate ban.

The softly softly approach and dignified silence stuff does not work.

I'm this case it is quite simple. An outright and immediate ban.

The softlysoftly approach and dignified silence stuff does not work.

Of who or what, the journalist or the whole publication? What does that achieve?

General consensus of who? Just the journalist in question to be banned or the whole publication? How does it play out after the ban is issued?

1) The majority of the support from what I've seen.

2) Everyone associated would do for me.

3) I'd imagine there'll be a few snide articles referencing the ban - but what's new.

Alan Brazil claimed someone from our club went for Stewart after the final.

It was of course bollocks, Stewart was pished and goaded a directors young son, witnessed by many.

The club weren’t slow in letting everyone know that the information Brazil spouted on air was spectacularly wrong.

Did the club issue an official statement on this incident?

1) The majority of the support from what I've seen.

2) Everyone associated would do for me.

3) I'd imagine there'll be a few snide articles referencing the ban - but what's new.

I'm reasonably sure your not in a position to talk for the majority of the support tbf and what if a more considered approach achieved better and longer term results?

I don't know if the club is doing anything (if they're not then that is poor to say the least), however the demand for a "get it off your chest" statement and knee-jerk reaction is born out of frustration and a more measured approach is required IMHO.

I'm reasonably sure your not in a position to talk for the majority of the support tbf and what if a more considered approach achieved better and longer term results?

I don't know if the club is doing anything (if they're not then that is poor to say the least), however the demand for a "get it off your chest" statement and knee-jerk reaction is born out of frustration and a more measured approach is required IMHO.

Obviously not and never claimed to, hence 'from what I've seen' across social media, H&H, on here & talking with mates. Put another way, I've not seen anyone opposed to a ban (until now perhaps).

Not sure what sort of mediation you think is going to make things better?

see to be honest , i have no problem with them remaining silent for now, we've just had a load of issues after OF game, i'd give the board time on this one, we're used to being attacked let the media talk shite and we can just concentrate on the pitch at the minute thats the most important thing

We remain too nice with this sort of thing.

We can’t respond to every negative article, some are fair enough in all honesty, but the Morelos stuff is constant and unprovoked racism.

I’ll be disappointed if the club don’t ban The Sun.

The board were quick to release a statement in regards to the Rod Stewart incident at the final, maybe because it involves a director and his son?

Their silence on this won’t go down well.
Tbf Stewart is a bit more high profile than Leckie. Outside of this country nobody knows who Leckie is, Stewart is worldwide and is followed by millions of folk who would maybe see a story involving Rangers.
Rangers couldn't possibly deal with every negative article or blog or rant against us.

Reactions: GF7
A bit of time for a well considered statement that hits the target (the bulls-eye) might not be a bad thing.

Let's just wait and see.
I couldn't disagree more, in this instance.

Upon reading the article in question Stewart Robertson should've been on the blower to Dave King telling him that he was banning The Sun fortwith.
Then release a short statement to that effect.
It should've been accomplished within an hour.

Tbf Stewart is a bit more high profile than Leckie. Outside of this country nobody knows who Leckie is, Stewart is worldwide and is followed by millions of folk who would maybe see a story involving Rangers.
Rangers couldn't possibly deal with every negative article or blog or rant against us.

I get that, but Leckie has destroyed one of our players in a national newspaper, the article also posted online for all to see.

It’s a million times more serious than some petty run in with that dottery auld tadger Stewart, yet they responded to this.

A serious question. When club 1872 put out statements etc, is there no liaisance with the club on matters for going forward beforehand. Do office bearers liase with the club about their concerns and if yes, do they get responses

It's his paymasters allowing the article to be printed. It's a national Red top.

I get that, but Leckie has destroyed one of our players in a national newspaper, the article also posted online for all to see.

It’s a million times more serious than some petty run in with that dottery auld tadger Stewart, yet they responded to this.
The way i see it is Leckie has shown himself up for being the biased twat he is. How long did Rangers take to react to the Stewart incident?

Perhaps the board are initially contacting the Sun behind the scenes to get a printed apology or some other resolution before going nuclear.

Have to say though that if we don't get a satisfactory resolution the sun need to be banned from Ibrox. Should find out in the next couple of days how this plays out.

If the club had a policy of silence against all forms of negative media, then rightly or wrongly I'd understand. However, the fact they were quick enough to defend a directors Son makes it all the more frustrating that they won't defend fans or the players.

I cannot see "The Sun" being banned.

Andy Devlin is King's "goto" man. And is at The Sun I am sure.

Two issues for me. I don’t like the term racism being banded about often today it is used inappropriately. After reading that article I wasn’t really seeing the racism in it. An odious piece of journalism yes, but I didn’t really see it as racist.

Then I listened to my daily update on heart and hand and heard David Edgar’s view on why the covert nature of the comments had crossed a line and were racist. I have reflected on that and agree it is racist.

The club have to ask for an apology from the Sun, if that isn’t forthcoming they have to be banned. It is no loss.

however my second point is a previous article by Keith Jackson was equally as bad in the Daily Record. We can’t call one out without the other. In reflection had the club called out Keith Jackson at the time we might not have seen the constant character assassination of Alfredo in the last couple of years.

Racism it is. Very subtle and very covert. But it is racism and we have to stop it or otherwise we are condoning it.

I am now at the point of believing our board to be hugely naive and somewhat irresponsible when it comes to protecting interests of the club. The Clancy, Collum performances and in fact the generally shocking nature of officialdom against our cause was a gaping open goal which should have been massively exploited in support of our quest for 55.

They (the board/pr team) seem to be happy to allow the filth the latitude to wrest back any advantage/control of the moral and ethical high ground to such a degree that it borders on reckless abandonment of their responsibility to the club and its supporters.

Do they honestly believe that by constantly turning the other cheek they are best serving the clubs interests? Do they think that by ignoring the evermore gratuitous and personal attacks on our most valuable asset they are doing him or indeed the cause of the club any service. (The answer is of course a resounding no!)

The filth are proactively policing every element of their interests with a head spinning zeal and efficiency. So much so that with the help of a compliant media they somehow manage turn what was an horrendous refereeing performance against us, into a situation from which they emerge victims. (Ryan Christie’s deserved sanction)

Why is our club erring with the continued policy of bland, defeated silence? The battle lines have changed, it’s a different age, dominated by the immediacy of information and ones ability to get in the first blow and thereafter a welter of such blows. The policy of moralistic superiority through a silence bolstered by the maintaining of a stiff upper lip is at best risible and at worst neglect.

The club must act to create a fluid antidote to the twenty four seven three hundred and sixty five assault on itself, interests, assets and its supporters. Who, against all odds have been the foundation on which the club has been able to recover from the catastrophic damage rent upon it by the very same people the board seem to wish to placate by their cowardly silence!

Enough is enough!!

Last edited:
The lack of true leadership at our club is frightening.

I agree. In this day and age a Skype or phone call to Stevie G was all that was required.

Give him the background and advise him we want to ban them and call them out. Ask him if he agrees, if he does it can all be done within 4 hours max.

I am now at the point of believing our board to be hugely naive and somewhat irresponsible when it comes to protecting interests of the club. The Clancy, Collum and in fact, generally shocking nature of officialdom against our cause was a gaping open goal which should have been massively exploited in support of our quest for 55.

They (the board/pr team) seem to be happy to allow the filth the latitude to wrest back any advantage/control of the moral and ethical high ground to such a degree that it borders on reckless abandonment of their responsibility to the club and its supporters.

Do they honestly believe that by constantly turning the other cheek they are best serving the clubs interests? Do they think that by ignoring the evermore gratuitous and personal attacks on our most valuable asset they are doing him or indeed the cause of the club any service. (The answer is of course a resounding no!)

The filth are proactively policing every element of their interest with a head spinning zeal and efficiency. So much so that with the help of a compliant media they somehow manage turn what was an horrendous refereeing performance against us, into a situation from which they emerge victims. (Ryan Christie’s deserved sanction)

Why is our club erring with the continued policy of bland, defeated silence? The battle lines have changed, it’s a different age, dominated by the immediacy if information and ones ability to get in the first blow and thereafter a welter of such blows. The policy of moralistic superiority through a silence bolstered by the maintaining of a stiff upper lip is at best risible and at worst neglect.

The club must act to create a fluid antidote to the twenty four seven three hundred and sixty five assault on itself, interests, assets and its supporters. Who, against all odds have been the foundation on which the club has been able to recover from the catastrophic damage rent upon it by the very same people the board seem to wish to placate by their cowardly silence!

Enough is enough!!
That'll be the same board who actually saved the club?

The club will probably be discussing things with lawyers. Is the article Slanderous, is it Libel etc in the eye of the law.

I hope they do something, but I understand that they need to be really careful especially banning the paper in regards to our commitments with sponsors.

Obviously not and never claimed to, hence 'from what I've seen' across social media, H&H, on here & talking with mates. Put another way, I've not seen anyone opposed to a ban (until now perhaps).

Not sure what sort of mediation you think is going to make things better?

The fact that an utter wankstain has used a position of privelege to spout an unacceptable, bordering on the racist, attack, through an opinion piece, on a Rangers player is undeniable. How we counter that is most definitely up for debate and if I had the answers to how to succesfully challenge media injustice, I'd be in a different job. I don't and I'm not so I'm not in a position to answer "what sort of mediation you think is going to make things better?".

What I am reasonably certain of, is that if we ban every football hack, wankstain or otherwise, and their employer for comment we don't like, we won't achieve the parity we demand.

The peace written by Club 1872, comes out with, if you don’t buy, or click it hurts the media more, the Support have the, “POWER” ISO’s so true. We are factional and don’t use the, “Power” as said repeatedly by a certain person employed by DK, bring the media down.

In no form am I suggesting they were correct but look at the tramps defence of Christie when it is obvious he is guilty compared to how we dealt with Hibs fans cup final scandal,the blatant cheating by Clancy in the last game against them and now this attack on Alfredo.If we dont take any action over this there is something far wrong.:mad::mad:

Someone else had linked a Sun article on another thread. Admin should delete links to that rag. It’s not just the club that needs to act.

Back