Si Ferry meets Colin Hendry

I don't think he likes Mr Sutton very much............

Big Colin was being very generous when he said that Mutton was "an acquired taste"! Was interesting to hear that Batty hated Le Saux as i had always assumed that the fisticuffs they exchanged in that European game was just a frustrating spur of the moment thing.

Came across okay actually.

No a bad career when you consider he won the treble in 22 games with Rangers, won the EPL and walked out Scotland as captain in the opening game of the world cup agasint Brazil.

Always wondered if he was a Murray vanity signing at the time.Not saying he wasn't a good big player but I just don't think he is what Advocaat would have been looking for

I worked offshore with his brother in law his name------- Abdu el gadaffi a smashing guy & he got me loads of stuff for my son & the big braveheart signed all of it.
I was sorry to hear about big Colin's problems as he made a young boy very happy going into school to show his mates world cup memorabilia from France with " bravehearts " autograph on it

Always wondered if he was a Murray vanity signing at the time.Not saying he wasn't a good big player but I just don't think he is what Advocaat would have been looking for

£4m back then for a guy who was 33 or whatever was 100% a vanity signing and summed Murray up. All about the ego and getting a few headlines in the record and the sun.

I
Came across okay actually.

No a bad career when you consider he won the treble in 22 games with Rangers, won the EPL and walked out Scotland as captain in the opening game of the world cup agasint Brazil.
I thought he did ok for us, had Larsson in his back pocket in the 99 cup final

Have to add, he’s one of the nicest players I’ve met, I was a kid and I also gave him a letter and a month or so later I received a letter back with a load of signed photos. I was absolutely over the moon, so fair play to the guy for putting a big smile on a kids face! Knowing that he was a gent meant I really did feel terrible for him when his wife fell sick and he struggled to cope with her passing, poor guy.

It was a good signing in terms of keeping a Scottish identity in the dressing room.

Footballing wise, we could have got much better for the money...as has been mentioned.

Was very poorly treated by Advocaat in terms of appearances and being subbed off early etc.
He was always solid for us and never made mistakes.
For some reason, Advocaat preferred Moore. If anything, Moore may have trumped Hendry for pace, but he didn’t have anything else on him.
Hendry and Amo were outstanding in the run in for that treble and should have had another year or two as a partnership.
Unfortunately it was Advocaat’s refusal to have a Colin Hendry type centre half in his team that was his undoing.
We paid way over the odds for Hendry, and then let him go too cheap.
We should’ve just kept him and played him.
He could’ve ended up a Davie Weir type, but obviously his career nose dived after he left so maybe not.

I noticed Simon seemed very keen to move things along when Hendry was speaking about winning the league at the piggery.

My favourite ever signing. His best days were past and would have been excellent for us earlier in his career.

However as a young boy from Keith watching a local boy captain Scotland to open a World Cup against Brazil and sign for Rangers in the same summer before winning the league at the piggery and the treble for Rangers had a young bear full of dreams of what I could do.

Shame we didn't have him couple years earlier, the hype around here for the Keith Rangers game in 96 was mad, wouldn't have been better had Colin already been at Rangers.

Just watched it all and it was a good interview.
Hendry came across very well and didn’t really have a bad word to say about anyone.
Think he stopped short of doing so with Sutton right enough.
I can’t remember everything but think Hendry was a but of a lady's front bottom with gambling and fucking friends over.
I hope he’s sorted all that stuff out as he came across as quite straight there.

Best memory was taking one for the team at home to Parma with that clearance gotta hurt. He was linked with us back in 1995, had we got him then under Smith we would have got a good couple of years as he was one of the top defenders in England.

Weirdly enough I listened to this just before seeing this thread.
Came across very well did big Braveheart and very polite even with the people he didn’t like ( quite clearly Sutton )
Spoke well and had some good insight. He admits he’s made mistakes but he’s been through a helluva lot as well.

A great big guy. Remember he took one flush on the face to keep it out of our net. Braveheart right enough.

Stayed at a hotel in Strathblane one night and had a lock in with the staff including myself. Was great company and told us he was going to be announced as Blackpool manager a couple of weeks later and to go and stick a few quid on it.

Willy Hills must be paying a fortune, because Si Ferry is one terrible interviewer.
I don't get what all the fuss is "aboot".

That’s because he’s a wee 19th Century Terrorist rat

Never watch any of his shite

Harsh - despite playing for them and not having the greatest interview technique, he’s always very partial and unbiased.

He gets good guests and despite his limitations the guests talk relatively freely - the interviews are always a good listen. I look forward to them.

Its up to you, but you’re missing out on lots of good interviews, many of them with our ex-players.

Have to add, he’s one of the nicest players I’ve met, I was a kid and I also gave him a letter and a month or so later I received a letter back with a load of signed photos. I was absolutely over the moon, so fair play to the guy for putting a big smile on a kids face! Knowing that he was a gent meant I really did feel terrible for him when his wife fell sick and he struggled to cope with her passing, poor guy.

Met him and his wife good few times through work just after he signed & they were both lovely down to earth people. No heirs or graces about either of them.

Such a shame what happened to his wife, it really knocked him for six for a good few years after that.

Would probably say himself he made some mistakes along the way when she passed but I will always remember how they both treated me.

A great big guy. Remember he took one flush on the face to keep it out of our net. Braveheart right enough.

A European game at home to either Parma or Leverkeusen IIRC.....

His home debut when he tried to play a long ball to chants of "one colin hennnnnnndraaaaay" but blootered it right out the park still makes me laugh.

My favourite ever signing. His best days were past and would have been excellent for us earlier in his career.

However as a young boy from Keith watching a local boy captain Scotland to open a World Cup against Brazil and sign for Rangers in the same summer before winning the league at the piggery and the treble for Rangers had a young bear full of dreams of what I could do.

Shame we didn't have him couple years earlier, the hype around here for the Keith Rangers game in 96 was mad, wouldn't have been better had Colin already been at Rangers.
Favourite ever signing?

I have a vague memory of Hendry nearly ending himself smashing into the post against Parma in the uefa cup. I thought he was a good defender for us. Treble winner and won the epl with Blackburn. Not a bad career.

Favourite ever signing?
As an 11 year old from a small town in the North East of Scotland and a man from your small town, went to same primary and secondary as yourself and started his career at the local club then signs for your team. Yeah my favourite signing and not because I thought he was going to be a Rangers legend but simply because it allowed me and other Rangers supporting kids in the town to dream that playing for Rangers was possible.

As an 11 year old from a small town in the North East of Scotland and a man from your small town, went to same primary and secondary as yourself and started his career at the local club then signs for your team. Yeah my favourite signing and not because I thought he was going to be a Rangers legend but simply because it allowed me and other Rangers supporting kids in the town to dream that playing for Rangers was possible.
Fair enough mate. Mine's is Laudrup.

He was a decent player but we didn't need him. 4 million down the drain for a murray ego trip.

Whilst he was by no means a bad player for us, £4m for a 33 year old centre back who was no upgrade on Moore or Amo sums up the insanity of Murray’s regime. A vanity for Murray to boast he had signed the Scotland captain.

Back