Derek McInnes turning us down

Howlin Wolf

I know I’m going over old ground here, appreciate there will lots who don’t care too as it worked out spectacularly for us:D

What were the real reasons for him turning us down? Was it just a straightforward shit the bed case, when he realised the scale and size of the job he would have been taking on?

I’m not convinced that was the case, there must have been more too it.

I keep having flashbacks about it to be honest.

Also flashbacks about Dave King and the three bears failing to get rid of Ashley.

Imagine McInnes as manager and a permanently injured Steven Naismith as our hope for turning things around. :eek:

Shudders

Bottling out of the Sunderland job not long before suggests that regardless of any other reason given, he knew he wouldn't cope at a club where there was pressure to succeed. He'll be happy with a career of mediocrity and low expectations.

Was it not that he had a moan about working with DOF and not getting it all his own way?

He shat it. That's the truth.

I was in despair at the thought of him getting the job.
In the end, the greatest favour he ever did for our club, his old club, was in accepting that the job was way too big for him.
He is a good fit at Pittodrie, his skill levels as a manager accord perfectly with a smaller club where expectations are in tune with his limited ability.
For that reason, I find him tolerable as an opposition manager.

Thought at the time he could have done a reasonable job steading things but that there was far better out there.

Delighted he shat it.

Job for life at Aberdeen or sacked within 12 months at Rangers? As embarrassing as it was, we wouldn't have Gerrard and his team here and we certainly wouldn't have qualified for Europe in back-to-back seasons if that bottle merchant was in charge.

It's why the mhedia were desperate for him to get the job and wanted Gerrard far away from it. The Gerrard appointment wasn't as big of a gamble as people made out, they just didn't want someone with his standards as Rangers manager.

I know I’m going over old ground here, appreciate there will lots who don’t care too as it worked out spectacularly for us:D

What were the real reasons for him turning us down? Was it just a straightforward shit the bed case, when he realised the scale and size of the job he would have been taking on?

I’m not convinced that was the case, there must have been more too it.
Story I heard at the time from a decent source was Walter advised him not to take it. Personally never believed it. Very strange but I think we were lucky he said no.

I remember that Thursday that it was supposed to be all signed, sealed and announced.

Left work expecting it to be all over the news with McInnes doing his press conference etc. Got home and checked on here to see that he was staying with the sheep.

I was raging at the time - was one of those that actually wanted him! Not that I thought he’d be an exciting appointment but just at that time I thought he would have steadied us!

Boy am I glad that it didn’t happen - what a position we are in now with Stevie G at the helm.

Mind the big thread we had in here about McInnes - people going on about how he was away to the barbers for a beard trim before his press conference! Get the brown brogues etc!

Never wanted him and a bullet dodged.

I have a feeling that the job was too big for him, we were in a mess on and off the park and mcinnes didn’t have the bottle or knowledge of how to fix it.

Some people are leaders and some are followers, we required a leader of a manager and mcinnes is a follower!

Regardless of why he turned us down, you can be certain we wouldn’t be anywhere near winning 55 this year if he was in charge

Regardless of why he turned us down, you can be certain we wouldn’t be anywhere near winning 55 this year if he was in charge
difficult to know - I think he is better than many give him credit for. but glad he chickened out.

Told he wouldn't have the final say on our transfer business, I believe.

Effectively therefore, we knew he wasn't up to the job.

Whoever recommended McInnes should have had their jotters.

It was a tin pot appointment strategy.

We can count our blessings that it never came to anything. Getting Gerrard is definitely one of the best signings we had made in years

He did us a favour, not intentionally but he did us a favour.

We got Steven Gerrard: class!

difficult to know - I think he is better than many give him credit for. but glad he chickened out.

maybe, but looking at how he performed in the domestic cups with Aberdeen and how his team performed against the tims, I never had much hope for us winning under him at the time. Can’t say I’ve seen anything since from him to change my mind

Back