Concerts at Ibrox

TonySoprano

What’s people’s thoughts on rangers hosting gigs?

move always thought that Hampden wasn’t the best set up as whenever I’ve been to one at Hampden I feel like your a mile away from the stage.

No issue. Extra revenue is great. Providing there is no issues with the pitch, etc.

Seen Bryan Adams there years ago. Was decent. or was it Bon Jovi. Cant remember. I was only 10!

Went to Bon Jovi back in the day - must've been about 7 or 8, was in the Club Deck IIRC - the stage running along the Govan.

That configuration would be far superior to Hampden for a gig.
Saw Bon Jovi at Ibrox in 1996, great day out.
Jon Bon Jovi opened with "I see we're in Rangers Country!"

Acoustically Ibrox pisses over Hampden.

Hampden is cheaper though. On all levels.

No issue. Extra revenue is great. Providing there is no issues with the pitch, etc.

Seen Bryan Adams there years ago. Was decent. or was it Bon Jovi. Cant remember. I was only 10!
Bryan Adams played at the piggery along with Extreme and Squeeze for the waking up the neighbours tour and . Bon Jovi played around Ibrox.
Was at both concerts .

Hampden is garbage for gigs in my experience. Worst sound ever and the band look as if they are a mile away. It could have been anyone up there for all I knew.

I think Ibrox would be a much better bet just because of the shape. I think it's a tragic waste of an opportunity not to use the stadium for events outside of football.

Where does the stage go with concerts at Ibrox? I'm sure when the club put a big screen up it was in front of sandy jardine stand, which if they did the same with a concert would cut the numbers able to attend dramatically

Should’ve hosted the Glasgow summer session at Ibrox since a wee bit of rain turns bellahouston park into a mud bath

There were some big ones back in the day (and they don't come much bigger than Sinatra!) but there must be a reason we stopped them. I think it was to do with the pitch being damaged?

As for boxing - Jim Watt fought Howard Davis at Ibrox on 7th June 1980.

Where does the stage go with concerts at Ibrox? I'm sure when the club put a big screen up it was in front of sandy jardine stand, which if they did the same with a concert would cut the numbers able to attend dramatically
It can go against any stand really

There were some big ones back in the day (and they don't come much bigger than Sinatra!) but there must be a reason we stopped them. I think it was to do with the pitch being damaged?
I’d assume so although the technology we’ve got today would probably solve those problems

Reactions: ao2
I seen Bon Jovi at Ibrox,it was great,I remember Durrant,Ally and Albertz were in the directors box

Hampden is not great at all and absolute nightmare to get away from. Believe it's because of the pitch that Ibrox stopped hosting them?
Sure it's common knowledge about Schalke's retractable pitch, fantastic idea.

Hampden is not great at all and absolute nightmare to get away from. Believe it's because of the pitch that Ibrox stopped hosting them?
Sure it's common knowledge about Schalke's retractable pitch, fantastic idea.

Hampden's not even good for football, never mind a concert. I saw Paul McCartney there in 2010 and the view wasn't the best. Ibrox would be so much better.

Guess that’s before he supported them?

He's always been a strange one. He sported a Rangers strip and was photographed with John Greig in the mid 70s and yet in 1977 he put out that song 'You're In My Heart' that included the line "you're Celtic, United" (Man Utd of course). I don't think he knew who he wanted to support officially till years later. Now you can't go to one of his concerts without him ramming THEM down your throat. He's not had a decent record in decades so Rangers are better of without him anyway :))

Only good thing about going to Hampden, for me, for concerts or football is the fact that my lad has a permit for my car and I get to park 5 minutes away.

Saw Bon Jovi there in 96, better venue than Hampden where I have also saw Bon Jovi. Enjoyed AC/DC at Hampden, although we were standing. I wouldn't have fancied it sitting at the back of any of the stands.

Saw Sinatra play at Ibrox in 1990, day after I saw the stones play Hampden
Not been any concerts at Ibrox (or the San giro) for an umbr of years, think Hampden is the first choice

as long as it doesn't destroy the pitch then why not, would love to go to a gig in our stadium

He's always been a strange one. He sported a Rangers strip and was photographed with John Greig in the mid 70s and yet in 1977 he put out that song 'You're In My Heart' that included the line "you're Celtic, United" (Man Utd of course). I don't think he knew who he wanted to support officially till years later. Now you can't go to one of his concerts without him ramming THEM down your throat. He's not had a decent record in decades so Rangers are better of without him anyway :))
Yeah very strange guy lol

Reactions: ao2
Just had a look I think we did
jim watt fought an irish american sean ogrady ?? rangers played thistle that day fight was at Ibrox, bears were in the east enclosure giving it large watt being a bluenose was getting humped and head butted the yank fight stopped on technical knockout made complaints when he got back to amarica

jim watt fought an irish american sean ogrady ?? rangers played thistle that day fight was at Ibrox, bears were in the east enclosure giving it large watt being a bluenose was getting humped and head butted the yank fight stopped on technical knockout made complaints when he got back to amarica
the American went to porkheed on the Wednesday before the fight wearing a big Stetson to drum up the mentally challenged support (never worked)

Cash in the bank can only be a good thing. Need to guarantee the pitch isn’t effected in anyway though

Remember when Sinatra played at Ibrox. Auld man was the janni at Ibrox at the time. He just opened all the windows in the house and he and my mother listened to the great man doing his thing.

Simple Minds played Ibrox in summer 1986. Some of Jim and Charlie's relatives (being RC) sprinkled Holy Water on the pitch. The very next season we won the league for the first time in 9 years.

Perhaps the Souness Revolution was actually a Vatican endorsed miracle?

:eek: :))

edit: this was only a few years after the Vatican Banking / p2 -Freemason's scandal. Perhaps someone could let Joe the Bhigot know and just remind him it goes much higher than the SFA!

I think the O'Grady fight was at the Kelvin Hall mate. He fought Howard Davis at Ibrox on 7/6/80.

Going back to O'Grady, he's another example of the scum chasing after someone purely on his name. They were convinced given the name that be must be Irish American Catholic so paraded him at a game (v Kilmarnock I think) a week or two before the fight rigged out in their colours and they were chanting his name. Turns out that despite the name he was a Baptist! The fight was a few hours before the Rangers v Celtic match at Ibrox on 1/11/80 (and was my first game v them!) and the Bears were giving it laldy that Watt had won and their guy had lost. A bit of a tango'd moment for them :))

Back