Concerts at Ibrox

Simple Minds played Ibrox years ago. Also didn't we host a Jim Watt world boxing title?
I was at that, it was more than Simple Minds a full day and night of music. But trashed the pitch, the main stand side dropped a couple of inches.

Ill be honest, was a huge fan up to the Joshua tree. Eventually couldn't listen to the sanctimonious prick banging on about helping the world while dodging his tax payments.
The hypocrisy of him and the edge sickens me,banging on about child deaths poverty etc (which i know should not be happening g)but the edge has got this massive multi mi.lion dollar pad in California which is eco friendly etc,bono avoiding taxes and ripping g off charities and the sanctimonious twats are turning their concerts into Sunday mass!the wee geordies singer in ac/DC wasnt long with them he told them to take a blank cheque out both their bankbooks and give it to charity and STFU

The hypocrisy of him and the edge sickens me,banging on about child deaths poverty etc (which i know should not be happening g)but the edge has got this massive multi mi.lion dollar pad in California which is eco friendly etc,bono avoiding taxes and ripping g off charities and the sanctimonious twats are turning their concerts into Sunday mass!the wee geordies singer in ac/DC wasnt long with them he told them to take a blank cheque out both their bankbooks and give it to charity and STFU
Yeah I’m pretty sure once that they flew a plane to Dublin to pick up a hat for bono

I also saw Jovi back in 2003.

Thew only problem was as the stage was running along the Govan stand the Gold seats which were supposed to be better than standard weren't in all honesty as you were still miles from the stage.

Remember seeing Bomber Brown on the way out as well.

Surprised we haven’t had any recent concerts there. Hampden gets loads and it’s poor. We should def explore it if the pitch wasn’t damaged too much.

Never seen a gig there, turned down the chance to see Bon Jovi there in 2003 and dont think we have hosted one since?

The acoustics would be much better than Hampden. First time Springsteen played there his voice was echoing back at him from the back of the stadium.

jim watt fought an irish american sean ogrady ?? rangers played thistle that day fight was at Ibrox, bears were in the east enclosure giving it large watt being a bluenose was getting humped and head butted the yank fight stopped on technical knockout made complaints when he got back to amarica
always thought it was American Howard davis

I'm sure Frank Sinatra played Ibrox.
Saw Sinatra play at Ibrox in 1990, day after I saw the stones play Hampden
Not been any concerts at Ibrox (or the San giro) for an umbr of years, think Hampden is the first choice
Sinatra at Ibrox would have been amazing to see. Unfortunately, I was only six.

Ibrox was definitely Bon Jovi's stadium of choice.

Seen posts of them playing in 1996 and I was at 2003. I think they played once or twice in between times too

Would you go to Parkhead to see a band? I wouldn’t. That is the reason why gigs go to hampden rather than either of the 2 clubs.

I think the O'Grady fight was at the Kelvin Hall mate. He fought Howard Davis at Ibrox on 7/6/80.

Going back to O'Grady, he's another example of the scum chasing after someone purely on his name. They were convinced given the name that be must be Irish American Catholic so paraded him at a game (v Kilmarnock I think) a week or two before the fight rigged out in their colours and they were chanting his name. Turns out that despite the name he was a Baptist! The fight was a few hours before the Rangers v Celtic match at Ibrox on 1/11/80 (and was my first game v them!) and the Bears were giving it laldy that Watt had won and their guy had lost. A bit of a tango'd moment for them :))

How often do those stupid bastards make a roaring James Hunt of it?

Reactions: ao2
Would you go to Parkhead to see a band? I wouldn’t. That is the reason why gigs go to hampden rather than either of the 2 clubs.

Nope not a chance. Only time now I will go to parkhead is if we play them in a cup game where we get half the money or if for some reason Hampden is shut and we need to play a final or semi final there.

My grandads biggest regret was not seeing sinatra when he was at Ibrox.

Would love to see a concert at Ibrox and can't see why we wouldn't look into it.

No problem with it if it brings in decent money. You’d think we could get a couple gigs in quickly at the end of May. Europa/Champions League qualifiers early July would hamper the timescales for getting the pitch ready tho

Rod Stewart performed at Ibrox in 1983 :eek:
xB9UYM6.gif

Reactions: ao2
No problem with it if it brings in decent money. You’d think we could get a couple gigs in quickly at the end of May. Europa/Champions League qualifiers early July would hamper the timescales for getting the pitch ready tho
One problem with that though is that a lot of American stars are here in late June and most of them play the same arena a few days after each other. Hopefully we don’t need to go through the early rounds in a few years

Except when it's on a Sunday and the subway stops at the usual time!
I'm fact, in general public transport is horrendous for gigs (SECC aside) . Most shows don't finish until after 10.30pm with trains/subway finishing not too much later and you know what queues are like.

Pretty sure Bon Jovi supported by Gun and Skunk Anansie was the last ever gig at Ibrox,as many have mentioned JBJ said about being in Rangers country,it was also the day that Jorg Albertz signed for Rangers,saw him in the Directors box with Walter and Ally

only in the closed season
Bon Jovi are the only stadium act I go and see. They always tour the UK in June or July.

I like the summer sessions idea though European qualifiers are getting earlier and earlier so we don't get much of a close season

Pretty sure Bon Jovi supported by Gun and Skunk Anansie was the last ever gig at Ibrox,as many have mentioned JBJ said about being in Rangers country,it was also the day that Jorg Albertz signed for Rangers,saw him in the Directors box with Walter and Ally
A band called Live supported them in 2003. That was the last time they played Ibrox. Not sure if there was more than one support act, don't remember there being.

Back