Johnny Giles flooring Kevin Keegan at Wembley

Bet Bremner was raging.

He would have wanted to put a boot up his arse first.

They both got sent off at some point to iirc?

I remember it well. Both Bremner and Keegan got red-carded at the same time and had a new argument during the long walk to the tunnel behind the goal which led to another punch up in the tunnel. Both got long suspensions as the FA was very embarrassed as this was the first Charity Shield match to be played at Wembley and was being televised all over the world.

its odd to watch the tackles flying in those old games - there would have been 4 sendings off in that clip of about 30 secs, if it was played today

Only a booking for that how times have changed. Big Dunc would have been locked up for a year for that when he played for us.

Giles, along with Bremner were both mentally challengeds. Although there was an excuse for Giles as he was from Dublin.
Not too sure about that. I think he might be related to me somewhere in my family tree. Might have been one of the few proddies from Dublin. My grandmothers maiden name was Giles and she had family from good stock in Dublin.
Could be a different family altogether obviously my auld man used to tell us Johnny Giles was related to our family.

just googled... 44 days Clough lasted as Leeds manager
Clough's biggest mistake of his managerial career. He was arrogant enough to think he could be a success at Leeds but lost the dressing room even before he was appointed. Even Taylor warned him it would quickly end in tears.

Not too sure about that. I think he might be related to me somewhere in my family tree. Might have been one of the few proddies from Dublin. My grandmothers maiden name was Giles and she had family from good stock in Dublin.
Could be a different family altogether obviously my auld man used to tell us Johnny Giles was related to our family.
My apologies if true. Always had him down as a celtic man after they had knocked Leeds out the European Cup and he was full of gushing praise towards them when interviewed.

There was bad blood between Leeds United and everyone in those days, I'm sure I remember that Keegan and Bremner were chastised big time by the non football media of the day for taking their shirts off after getting their marching orders.

Keegan getting back on his feet, quickly and the other players playing it down. Different game indeed.

Yet, now people want police Scotland involved for a celebration.

Back