Scotsman claiming “ Rangers ace Jermain Defoe tipped to leave club for Premier League move (Behind paywall)

All I can find online in a separate article is Kevin Phillips saying he will end up at a lower end Prem team if a deal with Rangers can’t be concluded.

Seens a non story.

Clickbait nonsense.

Rangers ace Jermain Defoe tipped to leave club for Premier League move

The signing of Jermain Defoe by Rangers 12 months ago was quite the statement.

A player with huge amounts of Premier League experience had been recruited to provide competition to Alfredo Morelos.

It was a significant upgrade on those who have been competing with the Colombian for the place in the Rangers team.

In turn Defoe has hit 23 goals in 47 appearances.

The 37-year-old's 18-month loan deal from Bournemouth comes to an end in May whereby he will be a free agent.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has been open about extending the striker's deal.

In December he said: "I’m hoping it’s a formality but until it is done and signed, it’s not. Are others maybe looking at him, though?

“If you can name me a team who can offer him what we are offering him in terms of size of club, in terms of opportunity at his age, in terms of the dressing room, the respect he has from the staff and the players, then I’ll have a debate with you.

“He has everything here that he needs. It is a fantastic club and he is going to get more opportunities."
However, experienced striker Kevin Phillips reckons it is not a formality.

“Possibly, I think it just depends on what Jermain wants to do," he told Football Insider. "He strikes me as he just wants to play football for as long as he can.

“I can see it still looks like he’s got that enthusiasm for the game, that love of the game and you know what?

“It wouldn’t surprise me if Rangers didn’t take it up, there would be teams in the Championship or lower end of the Premier League queuing up to take him because they know he’s guaranteed to get you goals, important goals when you need it.

“So it will be interesting to see what they do the end of the season.”

Having heard him talk about us and the experience he’s having, the only way he’s going back to England is a recall from Bournemouth.

Don’t see it being true. JD and SG have both stated their desire to secure a contract past summer. Hopefully still the case. He came here knowing he wouldn’t be a regular starter and nothing has changed. Non-story IMO

It seems the story is based on a comment made by Kevin Phillips and I doubt has any substance. Uncle Jermaine is loving his time with us, and I see him doing his badges whilst up here and could become a player coach. Here is the clip from the Sun:

FORMER England star Kevin Phillips has tipped Rangers ace Jermain Defoe to join a lower-end Premier League club.

The ex-Sunderland hitman reckons the veteran striker is still good enough to cut it in the EPL.

And with the 37-year-old out of contract at the end of the season, Phillips says the clubs towards the bottom of the division will be monitoring the Gers star's situation.

He told Football Insider: “I think it just depends on what Jermain wants to do. He strikes me as he just wants to play football for as long as he can.

“I can see it still looks like he’s got that enthusiasm for the game, that love of the game and you know what?

“It wouldn’t surprise me if Rangers didn’t take it up, there would be teams in the Championship or lower end of the Premier League queuing up to take him because they know he’s guaranteed to get you goals, important goals when you need it.

A player with huge amounts of Premier League experience had been recruited to provide competition to Alfredo Morelos.

It was a significant upgrade on those who have been competing with the Colombian for the place in the Rangers team.

Hello, this is the first of your 5 free articles for this week

Subscribe today
X
Get all the latest news, analysis and expert opinion with an online subscription Subscribe Today
The 37-year-old's 18-month loan deal from Bournemouth comes to an end in May whereby he will be a free agent.

In December he said: "I’m hoping it’s a formality but until it is done and signed, it’s not. Are others maybe looking at him, though?

“If you can name me a team who can offer him what we are offering him in terms of size of club, in terms of opportunity at his age, in terms of the dressing room, the respect he has from the staff and the players, then I’ll have a debate with you.

“He has everything here that he needs. It is a fantastic club and he is going to get more opportunities."

“Possibly, I think it just depends on what Jermain wants to do," he told Football Insider. "He strikes me as he just wants to play football for as long as he can.

Rangers make increased bid for Celtic target, Hearts and Hibs interest in Ibrox star, £1.5m defender leaves Parkhead, Aberdeen want forward - Scottish...

I must admit I wouldn’t be too surprised if there was something in this , although the Scotsman have their own reasons for stirring it .

Defoe hasn’t quite seemed as happy this past month or so as he has been . Just an observation and I really hope he stays , he’s crucial .

Clickbait nonsense.

Rangers ace Jermain Defoe tipped to leave club for Premier League move

So a click bait headline based on what Kevin Philips *thinks* *might* happen......

#Dhaily Mhedia bhullshit its a game day for us!! Will be back trying to get Alfie and Borna out the door tomorrow. Fact. :mad:

There was a bit of radio talk on Monday regarding a recall given Bournemouth's goal drought. Hopefully, this is all this story equates to...'talk'.

Hope not. But I am surprised a pre contract for next year hasn't been signed yet. Hopefully we get him tied up.

These rags will do anything to stir a bit of controversy in the name of Rangers. The sooner their extinction comes the better.

Borna yesterday, Defoe today, Alfie all the time, also seen goldson and tav in similar pish stories. I wonder what player the rags will pull out of the Rangers transfer hat tomorrow, I'm going for Jack, he hasn't been linked with anyone yet so he's my pick for who they try unsettle next.

Why wouldn’t he at least want to see the season out with a league winners medal and extended run in a European competition. The Hootsman clearly at it this week.

Yeah seems like every media outlet north of the border is having a go at unsettling our players,although I doubt they would read half of the sh*te printed!

There was a bit of radio talk on Monday regarding a recall given Bournemouth's goal drought. Hopefully, this is all this story equates to...'talk'.

My interpretation of the recall clause when I first heard about it was that it would be a two way thing. If Bournemouth requested him back and Defoe wanted to go back.

Not sure if this is accurate?

Surely a player of his experience and standing in the game would have a say in the matter.

The press are in overdrive just now trying to unsettle us. A cast iron guarantee - on the morning of the Hearts game the Sunday Mail will have a ‘Morelos (or Barasic) off’ back page splash. Nothing surer. Try to ignore them and trust in our manager.

I hope we keep him for another year but at the same time he is a second choice striker who is used to earning a fortune so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to keep him. He needs to be willing to take a massive pay cut.

Having read the quotes from Kevin Phillips, that headline is an absolute fucking joke.

Football insider is enough to tell you its nonsense they seem to be getting used alot now by the clickbait media here.

Back