Scotsman claiming “ Rangers ace Jermain Defoe tipped to leave club for Premier League move (Behind paywall)

By the way things are going we're no gonni have a team left come the end of January. File under bullshit.

It’s quite amazing how the headline writer can construe that Defoe could be off. Reading that quote says to me that Phillips isn’t remotely close to Defoe and it is purely subjective.

Scotsman suggesting unrest 8n the Rangers camp and Multi Millionaire Defoe chasing one last big EPL pay day?? Hmmm

I must admit I wouldn’t be too surprised if there was something in this , although the Scotsman have their own reasons for stirring it .

Defoe hasn’t quite seemed as happy this past month or so as he has been . Just an observation and I really hope he stays , he’s crucial .
I agree with you. The guy is 38, got serious limited time left as a footballer and will want to be playing as much as possible. He’s not going to get in ahead of Alfie, out with injury and suspension.

Hope he gives us 6 more months.

Some non entity asked Kevin Phillips his opinion and it becomes newsworthy. The mind really boggles about the trash published nowadays.

Click bait. Nothing more; nothing less. Which is a surprise because the Scotsman is such a reputable newspaper with quality journalism - NOT!

Clickbait nonsense.

Rangers ace Jermain Defoe tipped to leave club for Premier League move

The signing of Jermain Defoe by Rangers 12 months ago was quite the statement.

A player with huge amounts of Premier League experience had been recruited to provide competition to Alfredo Morelos.

It was a significant upgrade on those who have been competing with the Colombian for the place in the Rangers team.

In turn Defoe has hit 23 goals in 47 appearances.

The 37-year-old's 18-month loan deal from Bournemouth comes to an end in May whereby he will be a free agent.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has been open about extending the striker's deal.

In December he said: "I’m hoping it’s a formality but until it is done and signed, it’s not. Are others maybe looking at him, though?

“If you can name me a team who can offer him what we are offering him in terms of size of club, in terms of opportunity at his age, in terms of the dressing room, the respect he has from the staff and the players, then I’ll have a debate with you.

“He has everything here that he needs. It is a fantastic club and he is going to get more opportunities."
However, experienced striker Kevin Phillips reckons it is not a formality.

“Possibly, I think it just depends on what Jermain wants to do," he told Football Insider. "He strikes me as he just wants to play football for as long as he can.

“I can see it still looks like he’s got that enthusiasm for the game, that love of the game and you know what?

“It wouldn’t surprise me if Rangers didn’t take it up, there would be teams in the Championship or lower end of the Premier League queuing up to take him because they know he’s guaranteed to get you goals, important goals when you need it.

“So it will be interesting to see what they do the end of the season.”
So just guessing then - no foundation to this whatsoever

Rangers playing tonight? Alfie out due suspension? Lets write some utter pish about the striker who starts the game.

Next weeks headlines, Alfredo finds a fiver, may have killed a guide dog and is top target for Newcastle.

I think you can file this story under BS. Typical of the matchday made up nonsense from this rag in particular.

Pure speculative comment: of course if we dont get an agreeement then he would be wanted elsewhere - no-brainer. However, Im sure we will get a deal done - Player / Coach would not surprise me.

This is a lot of nonsense, however I still have the fear that the more Bournemouth struggle that they will recall him, so was please to see them win last night!

It would seem that the story is “if Defoe doesn’t sign a contract with Rangers he’ll go elsewhere.” No shit Sherlock.

They can't think of anything to write about so try and unsettle us knowing the club is in a great position and they can't stand it

Same post every time this nonsense is trotted out.

If he wanted lower end of the EPL, he'd have stayed at Bournemouth.

He wants to win trophies, and that won't happen with Brighton or Watford.

I reckon out of courtesy to Bournemouth we'll wait for the transfer window to close then announce another season.

He's a great player off and on the park, hopefully he's hear for a while but another 2 seasons would be great

Dont think there is much in it tbh. There is no rush to get a deal done just now let him concentrate on this season

Hope to hell he stays. I'd think he'd still get plenty of opportunities here, though I can understand him wanting more minutes.

Back