Against packed defenses at Ibrox

It exposes the lack of quality in the squad. When one of our main threats is missing or a little out-of-sorts, then we don't really have much on the bench.

Defoe on his own doesn't really work. Hopefully we bring someone in during the window.

Weve conceded 1 league goal since then and it shouldn’t have counted.

Cheers Baz, I’m a lazy bastard – your efforts are appreciated :)

Honestly - I cant quite fathom some of the posts i’m reading on here at the moment. If asked at the start of the season, come January we’d have dominated them in their own back yard, lost the cup final to a horrific officiating display (which for the record is still the sorest loss I’ve ever felt against them), be 1 goal behind on goal difference, and 2 points behind with a game in hand and a rake of home games to come - we’d have folks saying no?

bullshit. We are ahead of our target for this season, get behind the team or %^*& off IMO

Yet they’ve lost to one of them, played significantly more games at home than we have and are only 1 goal in front of us, when we have a game in hand.

With the greatest of respect, stop talking fucking shite
Say it how it is mate

Def lack a creative spark, although it was a poor performance tonight. The midfield three in games like this really needs someone with more creativity, an area that needs addressed.

And beating them. Fucking hell, You‘d think we lost or were at any point against the wall

And beating them without our star player and captain. Im itching to get Sunday over with already. If we can win that aswell I’ll have a really good feeling about how the rest of the season is going to go.

Does Tav come back same time as Alfie?

We didn’t get out of Neutral and we won. We would not have got those 3 points last season.

As much as this has been said over and over again this season, it is so true. I will always walk out of these games feeling positive with that in mind.

mentally challengeds don't seem to have a problem against those teams playing 10 man defences something has to be done
Although I neve watch them unless they are playing us or they get beaten then I watch the highlights, but I'm pretty sure that mob have struggled against Hamilton this season and also at Paisley as well, so they do struggle at times. It's not great on the eye and it's certainly nervy but we are still in a fantastic position.

We need a classic attacking midfielder who’ll shoot from outside the box. We’d absolutely destroy teams with that.
Jack, Davis and Kamara are all good players, but the three are too similar against all the teams that sit in.

The loss of Tav and Morelos has a massive impact on our team. I’d still like to see us with a slightly more creative player in the middle of the park though.

Could do with a big beast of a striker to get in the end of the crosses we constantly put in the box , someone who gives us another option. We seem to run out of ideas against packed defences.

We need a classic attacking midfielder who’ll shoot from outside the box. We’d absolutely destroy teams with that.
Jack, Davis and Kamara are all good players, but the three are too similar against all the teams that sit in.
Its still hard to shoot through 8/9 bodies throwing themselves in the way. A big striker would be my priority who can come on and change it up a bit when needed.

Could do with a big beast of a striker to get in the end of the crosses we constantly put in the box , someone who gives us another option. We seem to run out of ideas against packed defences.

That’s all well and good mate, but we play 1 up top - whether that is Morelos or Defoe. We’re not signing a Romelu Lukako to sit on the bench, whats the alternate - someone like Ikpeazu (Who’s shite)

I think we’re trying to solve a problem that either isn’t there or is incredibly hard to remedy whilst maintaining the balance of the team

Its still hard to shoot through 8/9 bodies throwing themselves in the way. A big striker would be my priority who can come on and change it up a bit when needed.

Totally agree.

At the minute they just pack centrally and allow us into crossing positions where we play to our weakness. If they have to defend the wide areas more (because of an aerial threat) then our attacking players will have more space centrally. This is how Defoe is totally the wrong answer when playing against a team just defending the box.

That’s all well and good mate, but we play 1 up top - whether that is Morelos or Defoe. We’re not signing a Romelu Lukako to sit on the bench, whats the alternate - someone like Ikpeazu (Who’s shite)

I think we’re trying to solve a problem that either isn’t there or is incredibly hard to remedy whilst maintaining the balance of the team
I agree with you mate it’s going to be hard to find someone willing to be third choice who’s still decent enough , but just games like tonight your looking at the bench wondering who we could replace Defoe with after 65/70 mins who could offer us something different. If morelos gets injured or has any more suspensions it’s a big worry.

mentally challengeds don't seem to have a problem against those teams playing 10 man defences something has to be done
They don't have a problem because they play with a far greater tempo in their play and are relentless with it.We are far too slow in our buildup and our midfield carries little threat.Take a look at our attempts at shooting from outside the box, it's deplorable.We must sign another forward who can play in tight space or we will fail again this season

I agree with you mate it’s going to be hard to find someone willing to be third choice who’s still decent enough , but just games like tonight your looking at the bench wondering who we could replace Defoe with who could offer us something different. If morelos gets injured or has any more suspensions it’s a big worry.

Honestly, and I’m just sticking it out there. You’re walking into the last 10 / 15 minutes looking for whipped in balls to be put away, bring on Edmundson and stick Katic or Goldson up top. It‘s better than trying to keep 3 top tier strikers happy. As i said, it’s a problem that‘s difficult to solve (imo :) )

They don't have a problem because they play with a far greater tempo in their play and are relentless with it.We are far too slow in our buildup and our midfield carries little threat.Take a look at our attempts at shooting from outside the box, it's deplorable.We must sign another forward who can play in tight space or we will fail again this season
They’ve dropped more points than us against the other 10 teams in the league.

Reactions: M@x
I think Barasic showed why we need to take more long range shots against packed defences. You get it on target you could score, could take a deflection or your striker could jump on it and score. No need to try and play the ball through a packed defence.

That's when long range shots and people like Katic who's steamroller anyone from a set piece coming into their own.

I hope you’re joking.

First of all I am happy that we won today, we are clearly capable of grinding out results this season, especially compared to last season. But my god, that was difficult to watch.

We seem to have our biggest problems at home against teams who park the bus, and not necessarily against your Hibs or Hearts who open up at times against us at home.

Watching us against Killie and today, I think we should not play Kamara, Jack, Davis AND Aribo in such games. I know that with Morelos and Tavernier we were missing two extremely important players. But I think in game like today, we need to see more of Stewart (when he is fit again) and even Ojo - and even more so, we probably need a new quality signing. We need a player who can create something against a packed defense, be it from midfield or right wing.
We have an uncontrollable desire to try and walk the ball into the net.

I felt tonight we were too slow going forward and they were able to get back into that 5-4-1, with very little space between their defence and midfield.

That's the space we often look to exploit and tonight it wasn't there.

The main thing is we got the 3 points.

On another night it could've been more - specifically thinking of Defoe chance first half where he could've headed rather than tried to reach with his foot, second half a couple of chances where they played the ball to our players and we didn't punish them.

Really feel the team should shoot more when the box is so packed though, there's no telling where a deflection could take it.

There are hundreds of these sorts of wins in our title winning seasons.

These are the important ones as when you play well the result takes care of itself.

This game , the killie game and Motherwell game are for me more important than the Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs thrashings at home

I think we forget how little space there is to actually hit a ball towards goal when there are 10 or 15 guys in the 18 yard box.

And in our defence, we’ve nailed a good few belters from 15+ yards this season. If the shot’s on, it’s on. Davis, Jack, Arfield, Kent & Borna with FKs have all pitched in. The assertion we wont have a dig is false

Thought ojo pace caused them a lot more issues than aribo had done in 2nd half.
Aribo clearly tired in the second half quite badly. Jack also looked to be blowing a bit _and I agree ojo’s pace was quite effective when he came on.

I think we forget how little space there is to actually hit a ball towards goal when there are 10 or 15 guys in the 18 yard box.
There is that of course but sometimes I feel as if we just take one pass too many. Aribo could have shot tonight (with a good chance) but tried a pass to Kent in the area and the ball was intercepted. We don't have to score the perfect goal every time.

In December Jack had some brilliant long shots. I want to see a few more of those.

Stewart was badly needed tonight along with some pace but they were very well
drilled,probably on a massive hate the Gers bonus.

Tonight really was a major frustration, but like a few have said already, the positive is that we got the 3pts. I do have to say, however, that no matter how much these teams set up and play in this way, it still never fails to make my blood boil the hunger and ambition that they show once it gets towards the last 15mins and they get a sniff of sneaking an equaliser.

I found it very ironic that in the last five minutes of the game the St Boo players were complaining to the ref about Rangers time wasting lol!!!

Was it not graham Roberts who said Teams will give 110% against Rangers but only 75% against Celtic.

Even it it was not him it still rings true. The problem I have is that we play like we have all days to score a goal, I would much rather we went for the jugular from the start and stop being so cautious. An early goal leaves us something to build on and gets the crowd behind the team.

Our slow passing game only plays into the hands of teams sitting with 10 men behind the ball

We had effectively an offensive six tonight of

Kamara Davis Jack
Aribo Defoe Kent

Against a team with virtually no attacking intent

Yet it was all Flanagan’s fault apparently

nothing to do with the lack of urgency from these six to get a man beat and the ball forward

Some fair points in here.

Kamara, Davis, Jack in the midfield at home against bottom 6 opposition is a problem. Yes they are all great players, but they aren't going box to box, beating a man and laying it on a plate for a striker or scoring themselves. You'd be better Aribo and Arfield further forward etc
Said that when the team was announced - no one really between halfway and the box apart from Kent

p OP
First of all I am happy that we won today, we are clearly capable of grinding out results this season, especially compared to last season. But my god, that was difficult to watch.

We seem to have our biggest problems at home against teams who park the bus, and not necessarily against your Hibs or Hearts who open up at times against us at home.

Watching us against Killie and today, I think we should not play Kamara, Jack, Davis AND Aribo in such games. I know that with Morelos and Tavernier we were missing two extremely important players. But I think in game like today, we need to see more of Stewart (when he is fit again) and even Ojo - and even more so, we probably need a new quality signing. We need a player who can create something against a packed defense, be it from midfield or right wing.
Been saying exactly this in my recent posts particularly about the importance of Stewart in games like these( I know he’s injured). Kamara and Jack, for games where there are parked buses, sit too deep, are over cautious and are not inventive enough around the box. I think maybe Kamara could be sacrificed in these games ( which we’ll have many of between now and the end of the season). We don’t need two midfielders who sit deep. For teams who’ll come out more at us though, then they’re fine.
I think also against these packed defences we’ve got to commit players forward in a full very high press. It’s so hard to create against a 9 man defence so I think it makes sense to force mistakes through a ridiculously high press, then use those involved in the press to exploit these errors in dangerous areas high up the pitch and in numbers.

What is the point of us defending against teams who play five at the back

Because generally 5 at the back is not a flat formation. teams like St Mirren will use it to “hold what they have” and when they need to, they’ll push the wing backs up into midfield transforming to a 352. Its a tricky formation to deal with if youre flat at the back and in the middle. We’re fortunate that there aren’t dynamic enough players/teams to hurt us with it

Because generally 5 at the back is not a flat formation. teams like St Mirren will use it to “hold what they have” and when they need to, they’ll push the wing backs up into midfield transforming to a 352. Its a tricky formation to deal with if youre flat at the back and in the middle. We’re fortunate that there aren’t dynamic enough players/teams to hurt us with it
I get that but just think with our quality we should take more risks sometimes

Clearly I don't have the tactical nous of Gerrard & co., but I found the tactics bemusing at times tonight...

Firstly, I agree with several re Jack, Davis & Kamara - do we really need all three of them in the middle of the park when the opposition are playing so negatively? Even Arfield in for Davis or Kamara would be slightly more attacking. Playing the same system and shape week in, week out, means opposition teams know what to expect. It would just be good to have something else on the tactics board to switch it up now and again.

Secondly, I know Kent more or less has a free role, but I felt he was too central at times tonight, not offering the overlap for Borna often enough. There were also a few occasions where he was 1-on-1 (especially right at the death) yet he chose to pass rather than take the man on. I thought he'd be flying after the scum game... yet his swagger wasn't there tonight.

3 points definitely the most important thing, but still a concern how lacklustre we were at times tonight imo.

They’ve scraped a few results at home this season in the league.
Don’t let the mhedia spin it the way they want you to hear it, they’ve scraped past a lot of teams at the piggery this year, and that comes from season ticket holders in my work that think they are like we all know they are, dreadful under tlb

Unfortunately, we better settle in for a long ride as I think most teams will try and do that. During Smith's tenure, it was quite commonplace to grind out results and it wasn't pretty at times. Three points is what we're after and as long as we get them then we'll be happy.

They tend to shoot at goal in these games. We try to bore the ball into the net at times and make it difficult.

I think that’s also part of our problem.

We’ve seen Jack and Kent score a couple of peaches from distance this season, but it feels like a rare occurrence when we even try.

No need for that midfield 3 against teams who will sit in like that,stick Aribo or Arfield in there,although we badly missed Tav and Alfredo tonight.

Back