Most disappointed you have ever been at the football

BF4_Loyal

Mine has to the 2008 Uefa cup final. Was totally devastated at the final whistle. Genuinely gutted that I was near shedding a tear.

Just had it in my head that we were winning it. I just was totally over confident. We had one hell of a run that campaign and I think everyone was just expecting to turn up that night. I still haven’t re watched that match. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the game through my season ticket. I remember my mate laying near £400 for a ticket.

I remember then the following week for the queen of the south cup final. Never been at a more deflated cup final in my life. Was still feeling numb from the European final. And off course losing out on the league the week before due to the corrupt SFA didn’t help matters either

Same for me. I had a phenomenal day but was absolutely gutted at the end of the night.

Hibs cup final. Pig sick. As soon as they equalised I knew they'd score again. I said to all and sundry afterwards that Warburton wouldn't do. Bar the games against Dundee and Celtic we were pretty dung in the second half of the season.

Then all the stuff that went on after final whistle.

Mind losing 2-0 at home to Motherwell when we just needed a draw to win 9 in a row. Such an anti climax.

Was at this game to. It was a bank holiday Monday I think. Bloody boat was delayed on way home to.

I was only 12 at the time and was gutted. Then we went to tannadice a few days later and secured it

Yep, Manchester it was an amazing day out and surreal at times, I still can't believe the train on the back of a low loader decked out in Rangers/Union flags driving down the M74/M6. The result was a bummer.

Feyenoord 2002. Was in home end, it still annoys me to this day.

Walking away from the ground at the UEFA cup final is a close second. You just knew it was a once in a lifetime thing.

Getting beat at Chesterfield in the Anglo- Scottish Cup 3-0.

Standing getting soaked on an open terracing and totally outplayed by a Club I had to look up on a map.
If you support a huge Club like Rangers you have to soak up the defeats in big games. It makes the victories all the sweeter. But Chesterfield??? The nadir of the John Greig years.

Challenge cup final v Raith.. was mainly anger if I'm being honest.

The final v them this year was a proper sickener after the way we played.

The Hibs final was gutting and we never really recovered from it the following season.

2008 as a whole was disappointing.. losing the UEFA final then losing the league. We deserved so much more that year but ran out of gas.

Toss up between the home defeats to Unirea Urcizeni or Annan Athletic

I was about to say the same. For the first one, I brought a dozen Chelsea fans up from London to see one of the most miserable games I've ever seen. They haven't been back.
For the second one, I made a last minute decision to jump on a flight at peak prices to see us getting beat at home from basically a junior team. It was pouring down as well if I remember correctly.

Yep, Manchester it was an amazing day out and surreal at times, I still can't believe the train on the back of a low loader decked out in Rangers/Union flags driving down the M74/M6. The result was a bummer.

Flew out that morning from Belfast. Bears everywhere flying to anywhere in the mainland just to get to Manchester

I was lucky I got my flights booked cheap after the quarter final, I took a gamble and booked them

Sparta Prague in 91. We simply blew that match and missed out on CL qualification. Goram fumbled into his own net FFS.

Also McCoist testimonial v Newcastle. God knows why but I was gutted after that for some reason. Think it was because it was a chance to assert ourselves against a big English team and we blew that as well. A disproportionate reaction but gutted nonetheless.

Kilmarnock at home, late season 1998, Tannadice last day 1998. Missed cup final as it was a abod parade.

The end of the era, Tannadice had an air of resignation, but the killie game summed up that seasons shambles.

Killie scores late on that game. Gutting. The end of the 10iar dream

Can't choose between 3

Losing up at pittodrie after a farcical red card for Amoruso in April 1998.

Losing at home to Kilmarnock on 2 May 1998.

Losing in Manchester in 2008.

Was at all 3 and that sense of utter devastation when it comes to Rangers will never leave me.

Kilmarnock at home, late season 1998, Tannadice last day 1998. Missed cup final as it was a abod parade.

The end of the era, Tannadice had an air of resignation, but the killie game summed up that seasons shambles.

Not gonna like that mate but yeah the Killie game broke me.

Mind losing 2-0 at home to Motherwell when we just needed a draw to win 9 in a row. Such an anti climax.
Ha brings back memories,our supporters bus had booked the function room at our local for a massive celebration,bit of an anti climax but we had the party anyway

Has to be 2008 in Manchester, there's been a few but that was the one, I'll probably never see that again in my life , I just sat in the crowd crying that at the end outside the stadium.

I will also say killie pies, not as great as made out.

UEFA cup final. The only thing I take from is it I got to see Rangers live in a European final

2008 UEFA Cup Final without a doubt. A fantastic day but totally gutted at the end and the way we cheered the team at the end was emotional. Back to Mary Ds I think it was after the game and sad faces all round

Losing the League cup final to the mentally challengeds is up there. Especially with the ease in which we destroyed them in every department. We never put the ball in the net and that's what counts.

UEFA Cup Final for me as well especially since 3 of us paid £2,000 for 3 tickets

Manchester for me. I was absolutely wrecked inside for ages after that. Biggest footballing disappointment I’ve ever suffered. A European Final defeat. That is a sore one.

After that, the draw with CSKA Moscow whilst Tapie’s bribery cheats won to keep us out of the Champions League Final was really sore as well.

Lastly, the 1980 Scottish Cup Final. It was a really special occasion for me that day and winning the cup against the filth would have been the icing on the cake. Instead, I was dodging bottles and being restrained from entering the playing surface after the final whistle.

All that said, Manchester still trumps everything else for me in terms of disappointment. Still haven’t watched any of that game again, not even “highlights”

Last edited:
UEFA cup final and not making 10 in a row.

Bayern scraping a draw at Ibrox when Mols tore them apart has always stuck in my mind for some reason as well

Apart from the 2008 Uefa Cup Final which was devastating another time for me was losing the 1994 Scottish Cup Final to Dundee United which cost us the treble.

Mine was some tadger pishing on the back of my leg at the piggery in the 80's

Hibs cup final for me, it was our chance to give a big %^*& you to the rest of Scottish football and we fucked it up. I wanted Warburton gone after that and was gutted he got another 6 months or so.

Last edited:

Both are right up there for me. Killie being the real killer. The cup final v Hearts was about as hard. 16 and just couldn't accept Rangers not winning a trophy.

Hibs cup final was not far off. Manchester was gutting at the time but hurts less with the passage of time.

The Hibs Cup final was absolutely horrendous, also losing to the mhanks in 89 was brutal, left Hampden that day crestfallen.

Back