Barry the tim apologist

Sydneyger65

WE all know the way this works by now.

When a Celtic striker scrunches up a bit of tape and tosses it at a Kilmarnock fan, it’s my responsibility as a former Rangers player to jump up and down about it, scream blue murder and call for Leigh Griffiths to be hung, drawn and quartered for it on the sixth floor of Hampden.

Well, if it’s all the same to you, I’ll excuse myself from the tit-for-tat that’s been going on ever since Rangers won at Celtic Park on December 29 and pundits up and down the land lost their grip on any sense of perspective.

If you’re wondering why so many hardened old pros have suddenly become hunks, offended by the slightest little thing, then let me fill you in.

It’s because, for the first time in years, there’s a proper title race going on and some people are clearly struggling to keep their allegiances in check.

Well you can leave me out of that. In fact, to be perfectly honest, the whole thing is really starting to p*** me off.

Hasn’t anyone else realised it was three-and-a-half weeks ago Alfredo Morelos got sent off at Celtic Park? That was in December 2019! Am I the only one who can’t believe some people are still wetting the bed about it?

Was Morelos in the wrong? Yes, he was. Should he have made that gesture? No, he shouldn’t have.

Does the world need to come to an end because of it? Only if there’s a two-point gap at the top of the table and Rangers have a game in hand.

So I won’t be rushing to call for Griffiths to be hammered for his reaction coming off the pitch at Rugby Park the other night. I couldn’t bring myself to be such a hypocrite.

I saw the incident as it happened, shrugged my shoulders and said: “So what?”

You could see the old guy who looked like Uncle Albert out of Only Fools and Horses screaming abuse at Griffiths as he made his way into the Celtic dugout. And that’s one of my all-time favourite telly programmes by the way.

Now, don’t get me wrong here, I’m not condoning what Leigh did next. The bottom line is he had shut the guy up with what he had done on the pitch and that ought to have been good enough for him.

But, in the heat of the moment, he reacted by doing something he shouldn’t have done. I’m not going to hammer Leigh for doing that when I’ve done it a hundred times myself.

I’ve been there. You’re tired, you’re legs are killing you and there’s some guy spewing abuse at you, giving you an absolute earful as if you’ve just run over his cat.

Sometimes it’s hard not to give a little back. I’d be lying if I said I’ve never done it.

“Haw Ferguson, get tae f***you dirty wee b******!”

“Naw, you f*** off! Get it right up ye!”

Granted, I never actually threw anything at them which is where Leigh overstepped the mark. But if you have ever felt the tape players put on their socks then you’ll know it’s as light as a feather. It would have been different if it was a boot he had chucked!

And it wasn’t even thrown in an aggressive way. It was like, “Gie’s peace mate, shut up!”

Should he have done it? No.

He should have sat down and smiled at the guy. Maybe even laughed at him for behaving like a maniac.

But can I put my hand on my heart and say I blame Griffiths for what he did and that I was horrified by it? Don’t be so daft.

In terms of keeping a sense of perspective I’ve seen a lot worse. Just the same as I can’t get my knickers in a twist over the gesture Morelos made to the Celtic fans at Parkhead.

I’ve been there too, having to make the long walk after being sent off there. It felt like the whole main stand was on its feet hurling abuse at me. How did I react? Let’s just say we’d get the Daily Record shut down if I repeated it in these pages. But that’s what happens sometimes in the heat of the moment.

Then, when you’re in the shower five minutes later and replaying it in your head you realise you shouldn’t have reacted. You’re kicking yourself for being so stupid.

You know the right thing to do is to ignore it and act in a professional manner.

But we’re talking about human beings here. And every one of us has a breaking point. There’s only so much you can take before you find yourself responding to it. The problem is there’s cameras everywhere and people who are just desperate to find some reason to be outraged by the littlest thing. It must be like being in the Big Brother house ... and I don’t even watch Big Brother.

It’s getting a bit ridiculous and I would at least like to think the former pros would show a bit more common sense and understanding.

As for Griffiths, after everything he has been through, I’m genuinely happy to see him back on the pitch scoring goals even though it’s the last thing Rangers need at this stage in the campaign.

I’m happy because he’d had his struggles and because, from Scotland’s point of view, he could be a huge weapon in the play-offs for Euro 2020.

That’s what people should be concentrating on – the bigger picture – but some folk find it impossible to do that when it’s so tight at the top of the table and when it’s Rangers and Celtic who are involved.

Me? I love it. I spent my Wednesday night watching the Celtic game with one eye and checking my mobile phone for the scoreline from Ibrox with the other. At one point in the second half a single goal in either game could have turned the whole thing on its head.

That’s the way football should be. It’s supposed to be exciting. It’s supposed to get the emotions pumping.

It’s just a pity some people who should know better are letting those emotions get the better of them.

Completely misses the point in order to present media reaction as even-handed and thereby preserve lapdog status.

The whole issue revolves around double standards.

Celtic players are treated differently by referees and the media and if a former Rangers captain hasn’t got the guts to point this out he should f*** off.

If that opinion piece was 10-15 years ago I might have agreed with it.

But Ferguson should know better. Rangers and their players are being treated differently by the authorities and by the media and this Thumb scenario has proven it.

It's an absolute disgrace and Ferguson as an ex Captain of his football club should have taken a completely different tone and direction to what he has just 'written' there.

Back the club.
Back its supporters
Back Morelos who is being demonized when he is 100 x the man Griffiths could ever hope to be.
Call out the hypocrisy and double standards.
Call out the "bed wetting" as you put it as a result of Rangers being back and handing them their arses in their own midden and them being unable to take it.

When you read this Barry as I know you will, that's what you should be doing.

Take fukin note.

Both kinda similar incidents involving player interaction with fan(s) due to abuse from the stands. One blows up into a shitstorm, no justification for it, no matter the abuse received, the other being portrayed as a bit naughty but understandable due to any abuse received!

might be over reaction but we have been suffering from it from a certain community for as long as I can remember

Ferguson may have a point but he is missing or ignoring the point. The main point is the polar opposite, hypocritical reaction to griffiths behaviour in comparison to Morelos (or any other Rangers player). griffiths did not receive worse abuse than Morelos. Yet the reaction from the football authorities thus far and the biased press is vastly different to the benefit of sellick.

Cant see that article as ‘tim apologist’
Both nothing incidents as he said.

But as others have said, he should have highlighted the different reactions between them. Alfie would have been hammered for the same.

When a Celtic striker scrunches up a bit of tape and tosses it at a Kilmarnock fan, it’s my responsibility as a former Rangers player to jump up and down about it, scream blue murder and call for Leigh Griffiths to be hung, drawn and quartered for it on the sixth floor of Hampden.

Well, if it’s all the same to you, I’ll excuse myself from the tit-for-tat that’s been going on ever since Rangers won at Celtic Park on December 29 and pundits up and down the land lost their grip on any sense of perspective.

If you’re wondering why so many hardened old pros have suddenly become hunks, offended by the slightest little thing, then let me fill you in.

It’s because, for the first time in years, there’s a proper title race going on and some people are clearly struggling to keep their allegiances in check.

Well you can leave me out of that. In fact, to be perfectly honest, the whole thing is really starting to p*** me off.

Hasn’t anyone else realised it was three-and-a-half weeks ago Alfredo Morelos got sent off at Celtic Park? That was in December 2019! Am I the only one who can’t believe some people are still wetting the bed about it?

Was Morelos in the wrong? Yes, he was. Should he have made that gesture? No, he shouldn’t have.

Does the world need to come to an end because of it? Only if there’s a two-point gap at the top of the table and Rangers have a game in hand.

So I won’t be rushing to call for Griffiths to be hammered for his reaction coming off the pitch at Rugby Park the other night. I couldn’t bring myself to be such a hypocrite.

You could see the old guy who looked like Uncle Albert out of Only Fools and Horses screaming abuse at Griffiths as he made his way into the Celtic dugout. And that’s one of my all-time favourite telly programmes by the way.

Now, don’t get me wrong here, I’m not condoning what Leigh did next. The bottom line is he had shut the guy up with what he had done on the pitch and that ought to have been good enough for him.

But, in the heat of the moment, he reacted by doing something he shouldn’t have done. I’m not going to hammer Leigh for doing that when I’ve done it a hundred times myself.

I’ve been there. You’re tired, you’re legs are killing you and there’s some guy spewing abuse at you, giving you an absolute earful as if you’ve just run over his cat.

Sometimes it’s hard not to give a little back. I’d be lying if I said I’ve never done it.

Granted, I never actually threw anything at them which is where Leigh overstepped the mark. But if you have ever felt the tape players put on their socks then you’ll know it’s as light as a feather. It would have been different if it was a boot he had chucked!

And it wasn’t even thrown in an aggressive way. It was like, “Gie’s peace mate, shut up!”

He should have sat down and smiled at the guy. Maybe even laughed at him for behaving like a maniac.

But can I put my hand on my heart and say I blame Griffiths for what he did and that I was horrified by it? Don’t be so daft.

In terms of keeping a sense of perspective I’ve seen a lot worse. Just the same as I can’t get my knickers in a twist over the gesture Morelos made to the Celtic fans at Parkhead.

I’ve been there too, having to make the long walk after being sent off there. It felt like the whole main stand was on its feet hurling abuse at me. How did I react? Let’s just say we’d get the Daily Record shut down if I repeated it in these pages. But that’s what happens sometimes in the heat of the moment.

Then, when you’re in the shower five minutes later and replaying it in your head you realise you shouldn’t have reacted. You’re kicking yourself for being so stupid.

You know the right thing to do is to ignore it and act in a professional manner.

But we’re talking about human beings here. And every one of us has a breaking point. There’s only so much you can take before you find yourself responding to it. The problem is there’s cameras everywhere and people who are just desperate to find some reason to be outraged by the littlest thing. It must be like being in the Big Brother house ... and I don’t even watch Big Brother.

It’s getting a bit ridiculous and I would at least like to think the former pros would show a bit more common sense and understanding.

As for Griffiths, after everything he has been through, I’m genuinely happy to see him back on the pitch scoring goals even though it’s the last thing Rangers need at this stage in the campaign.

I’m happy because he’d had his struggles and because, from Scotland’s point of view, he could be a huge weapon in the play-offs for Euro 2020.

That’s what people should be concentrating on – the bigger picture – but some folk find it impossible to do that when it’s so tight at the top of the table and when it’s Rangers and Celtic who are involved.

Me? I love it. I spent my Wednesday night watching the Celtic game with one eye and checking my mobile phone for the scoreline from Ibrox with the other. At one point in the second half a single goal in either game could have turned the whole thing on its head.

That’s the way football should be. It’s supposed to be exciting. It’s supposed to get the emotions pumping.

It’s just a pity some people who should know better are letting those emotions get the better of them.

Ffs Barry , why now ? Never said %^*& all about December 29th til something happens to one of the nonce fc 11.
And In the rebel ?
Barry get ta %^*& will ya , hero to zero

You can pick holes in certain parts of it but the general message is spot on. He’s having a dig at the Chris Sutton’s of the world, guys that have completely lost the plot over the last few weeks.

Funny how its down played as 'tit for tat' when we say anything tho aint it? Nowt but hysterical sensationalised grief from the media and pundits for 3 week, of which, brought about a charge for our club. (Of that i have no doubt). Yet when one of our own highlights the hypocrisy with the that lot, 'oh its all just tit for tat.'
Na im not buying it. Make yourself seem impartial all you want. Yer just an apologist like the rest.

To be honest the only bit in that article that really annoys me is when he concedes Morelos was wrong to make a gesture. So did Boyd. Why? What is wrong with gesturing thatbthe game is over anyway?

Last edited:
Folk on here are weird.

It's blatantly obvious he is saying that it's ridiculous what's been going on since we won and even calls out the fact that the ott reaction is because they are in a title race.

And he is also right. You can't spend three weeks saying "it's only gestures" about Morelos and then go mental about Griffiths.

This is all so boring.

Yet Rangers fans will dig deep to pay money to hear him relate stories of his time as a player.

While they have fat Harston and Sutton sticking the boot into our players every week Barry just wants to be their pal.

As for being delighted that the twice convicted racist is scoring goals again... F**k right off !

I can’t bring myself to go through the agony and boredom of another cliche ridden , eye bleeding barry ferguson ghost written diatribe . As soon as I read the first sentence I know the rest .

One of the best players I’ll ever see represent our club , and so far the worst “ columnist” I’ve had the misfortune to read since he hung up his boots . Horrendous .

Give it a rest Barry . For all our sakes .

Both of them are nothing but excuses for one side to get pissed off at the other, neither bothered me. He’s correct. Only difference is the reaction. I want them to go on about Griffiths only because of the overreaction Alfie has received.

Offended or not, and I wasnt, is up to the individual. But you cant slaughter players for hand gestures on one hand and ignore throwing something, even a piece of tape , on the other. Ferguson, as usual missing the point. Also, did he really have to describe the fan as Uncle Albert? The fan done nothing wrong and as far as I'm aware he hasn't made an issue if it, all Ferguson has done is ridicule him with that line.

He's not an apologist, as what he says isn't unreasonable, but his rush to show that he's unbiased shows that he doesn't care about the PR war that's behind waged against us, and he's much more interested in how he's perceived than the club's well-being.

Compare and contrast with Sutton and Hartson, who are happy to look like thick dickheads for their club.

Sorry, but he's not being a tim apologist for me. He's bang on no-one, other than the celtic fawning media, give a shit about gestures. The only thing p**ing me off is the way Alfie was hammered yet their players get off scott free. Either hammer all or move on!

Just when I was starting to not mind Ferguson again, probably due to his silence more than anything, he hits out with this shite.

All we want is balance in the way moments like that are dealt with/reported.

Hand gesture is a hand gesture, aye it could be construed as inflammatory. Daft thing to do, but you'd think the way it was reported he'd attempted to kill someone or jumped in the crowd ala Cantona.

Then the thumb, who doesn't make a gesture, but actually throws something into the crowd, not a brick or anything, but still, it's an object, and he also probably gives the guy verbals too.

It's poor little Thumb though, so let's just sweep it under the carpet because he's not got any gear left, and he's in a prickly mood.

Isn't much to ask for fairness Barry, unless it happens in Scotland, in which case forget about it.

He's not really missing the point at all as some people are saying. He's saying it's tedious point scoring. We have been vilified, I am taking that as he is saying be the bigger person and don't come down to their level and moan about eveyything although it could be the easiest thing to do.

Put it this way if it was me hurling abuse and got that thrown at me I'd be like fs raging, but I'd laugh. The exact same way as I didn't take young Buffs gesture as all out intent to decapitate hoopy the hound. If that's the way they want to take it then let them. We are bigger and better than that shit.

He talks about tit for tat but it’s not. Alfie was front and back page after the old frim. Wednesday night has hardly been mentioned so it’s not tit for tat. They want rangers players hauled over hot coals but Celtic players it all ok.

The outrage at Alfie’s game over gesture to this wee racist throwing something at a fan is night and day and shows that the press must have a personal vendetta against Morelos or there just like the wee mhutant “racist puppets”. I would’ve loved the give to have hit thumbheid square between the eyes with the tape he threw at him then there would’ve been outrage. I despise the wee lady's front bottom and hope he stays with them to see us lift 55 this year

Back