Ibrox atmosphere

noeyboy

Official Ticketer
I was speaking to an Aberdeen fan tonight and he was telling me that he was at the cup game v Dumbarton 1-0 to the sheep dodgy penalty near the end, crap game he says but the atmosphere was excellent. What they had done was put all the fans who travel to away games behind the goal(merkland road end) they now call it the red shed, and moved anyone who didn't want to be part of it to other areas in the stadium. I know this would be difficult at Ibrox but it's not a bad idea.

Will never get fans prepared to move out their seats voluntarily. Would need to come from the club that they are being moved

When you don't have a sell out stadium every home match & 46000 season ticket holders it's easy to move supporters to a 'shed' Many of our season ticket holders have had their seat for many a year and don't want to move. Logistically it would be a nightmare. All we need is people to cheer & sing instead of grumble. I don't know about other season ticket holders, but I dont pay for mines to moan at the players for 90 mins, i want to get behind then from start to finish.

All we need is people to cheer & sing instead of grumble. I don't know about other season ticket holders, but I dont pay for mines to moan at the players for 90 mins, i want to get behind then from start to finish.
Agreed.
A step towards a better atmosphere would be more encouragement and positivity, instead of the usual 'Aw fir fox sake, that's pi$h!'.

When you don't have a sell out stadium every home match & 46000 season ticket holders it's easy to move supporters to a 'shed' Many of our season ticket holders have had their seat for many a year and don't want to move. Logistically it would be a nightmare. All we need is people to cheer & sing instead of grumble. I don't know about other season ticket holders, but I dont pay for mines to moan at the players for 90 mins, i want to get behind then from start to finish.

I cant stand when people get precious about their seat, it normally rears its head when safe standing is proposed. If you get an emotional attachment to a seat then that's on you, you dont own it.

I cant stand when people get precious about their seat, it normally rears its head when safe standing is proposed. If you get an emotional attachment to a seat then that's on you, you dont own it.

Not sure about this. Father, son and Grandson who have sat together in the same seats for years. Probably have the same pre and post match traditions. I get why they wouldn't want to move.

We need to find a solution though and maybe just ripping off the band aid is the way to go.

We’ve been here before , a million times .

Our club will be the last in the SPFL to implement anything like this or safe standing, if we ever do at all .

The board just are not interested in asking people to move or showing any kind of initiative to improve the matchday experience . I’ve given up completely on it now .

Will never get fans prepared to move out their seats voluntarily. Would need to come from the club that they are being moved
The scum done it at the Theatre of Shame and the supporters had no choice but to accept it.
Rangers board simply has to be pro active in creating a suitable standing section in a prominent area of the ground.

The Copland Road was always the traditional Rangers end for decades. Now it's the quietest area of the stadium.

We’ve been here before , a million times .

Our club will be the last in the SPFL to implement anything like this or safe standing, if we ever do at all .

The board just are not interested in asking people to move or showing any kind of initiative to improve the matchday experience . I’ve given up completely on it now .
Sadly I think you are right

I was speaking to an Aberdeen fan tonight and he was telling me that he was at the cup game v Dumbarton 1-0 to the sheep dodgy penalty near the end, crap game he says but the atmosphere was excellent. What they had done was put all the fans who travel to away games behind the goal(merkland road end) they now call it the red shed, and moved anyone who didn't want to be part of it to other areas in the stadium. I know this would be difficult at Ibrox but it's not a bad idea.

Easy to do that when your ground is half empty.

Atmosphere would still be shite.

There were huge gaps all over the ground in that game.

A lot of time the crowd is reactionary to what goes on the pitch.

I just don't understand how it can't be proper intimidating majority of the games. Could get it coming through the dregs of lower leagues but we are in the best shape in years going for the league and our manager is dropping severe hints about the atmosphere.

Aberdeen away support can be counted on R2D2's fingers. Easy to do when you all know each other. When 50000 odd are involved it becomes problematic.

Last edited:
The lack of atmosphere contributes to fans leaving early in my opinion.

Sad to say but Ibrox has a dreadful matchday experience. Like many other issues the club seem incapable of dealing with it.

I shudder to think what Steven Gerrard and the players make of it.

Incidentally, the club was made aware of the problem 20 years ago. They chose to ignore it then and I reckon they'll continue to do so as long as they sell out ST's.

Aberdeen away support can be counted on R2D2's fingers. Easy to do when you all know each other. When 50000 odd are involved it becomes problematic.
As much as I don't like to admit it, but Aberdeen have a good away support, can you imagine if our away support were put in the Copland front.

They should put all the Aberdeen fans straight in the red sea.

Hahaha i laughed to much at this lol

I would love the BF where I sit to become all standing. But I can’t see it happening in the near future. A lot of ones won’t wanna give up where they sit which I suppose is understandable

Hopefully singing sections get first picks of the new seating / standing when it’s built

Maybe some of the atmosphere issues at Ibrox stems from folks who take Rangers all too seriously and are unnerved at the prospect of defeat. Our stadium can be intimidating for our own team if the crowd think the match isn’t going well. Going yo a match us suppose to be fun and something to de-stress us from the dirk it week. Used to be a few beers and a few songs at the match. Added to what I said above I genuinely think there are some fans who don’t know what to sing. Loads of folks go to the match not in supporters buses and not learning some of the songs. There are songs sung by the blue order that I’m personally clueless on some of the lyrics, the songs sound great but other than make noise that sound like what I'm making this up as I need attention: I simply don’t know the words

I’m not a fan of contrived methods of creating atmosphere like playing music or a loud hailer but perhaps doing something like that would generate some noise

used to be good when someone would sneak in an air horn as that always started something up

The are many facets to this.

I’m a non season ticket holder but try to buy or use mates tickets for most home matches with my son.

Was in Broamloan Rear on Wednesday night v St M and from the start it was like many of the people there were there as a chore. The fact we can win the league if we win every match remaining doesn’t seem to have fed through to a sense of urgency or excitement yet.

That St Mirren corner at the end which, if it had resulted in a goal might have changed the course of the season, didn’t stop the massive wave of folk leaving.

That said, the team performance was far from inspiring!

Pre match entertainment is non existent. Half time - why not get Mark Walters to do a lap of the pitch whilst highlights from his time are on the screens?

So many things could be looked at, but personally the fact we have a club being run by sensible owners and a real chance of winning the league this year is enough to keep me on the edge of my seat for the full game. But I don’t have a season book and maybe if I did I’d be apathetic too.

Why can't the club make the full Broomloan Front a singing section? They could ask supporters sitting there if they would like a swap with people in other areas of the stadium who wish to be in the singing section. Surely this could be done pretty easily?

It's a cracking idea and by all accounts did work really well for Aberdeen but when your stadium is half empty anyway it's easier to do that whereas doing that at Ibrox with 46,000 ST holders would be a logistical nightmare. There was a huge dispute just from the UB wanting to move to BF3 nevermind moving an entire stadium.

Sorry for the nostalgia, but for me, nothing used to beat standing in the East Enclosure. I still remember being lifted over the turnstiles (I'd love to see some poor cnut try that now!) and only just being able to keek over the wall at the front of the EE! Although I haven't had a season ticket for a few years now, I agree with the poster about having an emotional attachment to a particular seat. Surely there must be a way where we can accommodate family members and groups to relocate but still also achieve our aim to improve the atmosphere?

Sadly the atmosphere has been a problem at Ibrox for as long as I can remember.

I genuinely don't know the answer, however ideas lile the one at shittodrie is just not possible. Logistically a nightmare the club would shy away from.

I do think if in the future we could allow the Union Bears the whole of the bottom tier in the broomloan it could make a difference. I often see people in the west enclosure even joining in with them so could perhaps help spread some of the energy and replace the apathy.

Rangers don’t want to improve our atmosphere.

The singing section is in the worst possible area in the stadium for creating noise. The atmosphere has been terrible for years. Hasn’t been the same or as good as when the singing section used to be in BF4/BF5 with probably not even a third of the numbers of BF1 but it still got the whole stadium going at certain times.

Even then it was not good enough, so they are not going to try and improve it they don’t want it sadly.

The sad thing is we can all see what Ibrox can be like when EVERYONE gets going on an old firm or European night. Would love it to be like this all the time but sadly it’s sometimes hard to get motivated against the likes of st Mirren Hamilton etc

The sooner we get safe standing to generate a bit of atmosphere the better.

Our home support in general is really poor, the way a lot of fans get on the players backs for mistakes is a joke and does nothing to help the teams confidence.

A guy a few rows in front of me was berating Kent and calling him “a fu**ing diddy”

All because he tried a one two and got the pass wrong.

Its frustrating, because you know that it can be a special atmosphere in Ibrox when it gets going. That night against Parma always sticks with me. Even before the teams came out that night, you could sense the crowd were up for it, but sadly that's few and far between.

Either the whole front of the broomfield or copland should be standing,probably more so the copland as there would be no problems regarding seats for away fans.

We are now in a situation where every league game is a potential league-decider. 3 points are a must in every game, and it doesn't come easy the way teams play against us. It's not only SG's motivation, but the urgency of the fans that should be driving the team. Unfortunately an atmosphere like a library is the rule rather than the exception. We can create an electric atmosphere whether or not there is a standing section, it's only ourselves to blame. The sight of a half empty Ibrox on 85 minutes is saddening, always.

I’m fed up of going to the games as a non-ST holder (only missed 4 games this year, including Europe) and being the only person in the section who wants to sing.

Being tone-deaf, I eventually just give up. No point in hearing myself sing. I can do that in my house.

Something needs to be done ASAP, because I feel the lack of atmosphere in games where we should be steam-rolling teams (like St.Mirren) could cost us the title. They were out-singing us. AT HOME!!

Only place I could get a season ticket was in the main stand front , and it’s like a morgue , absolutely dead. It’s bad at the best of times but St Mirren on Wednesday was a new low.

Need to Get behind the team big time if we want to win the league as SG & team need the support especially when teams come to Ibrox & park the bus

Only place I could get a season ticket was in the main stand front , and it’s like a morgue , absolutely dead. It’s bad at the best of times but St Mirren on Wednesday was a new low.

Midweek against a club that that don’t bring much to the game always gonna be like that. Ross county will be the same

I guarantee though the next few home games against hibs and Aberdeen the atmosphere will be a lot better

It's just cringe when our manager has to ask at every press conference for the fans to make a noise. I feel his frustration.

We are in a title race and our manager feels the need to constantly ask us to make an atmosphere. You couldn't make it up :(

Even during the 9iar years and advocaat era I remember games against lower opposition like Dunfermline st mirren etc being dead. It’s always been like that.

Back