Do we expect that lot to drop points?

I think the 10k figure will have leaked by someone in Barker's or Rangers camp so other teams know he's in their price range and can go and get him.

We'll get money for Jones. Might free up some cash to bring in someone a bit better suited to how we play. Who the hell wants Barker though?

Interesting that the two players we signed to make up for possibly not getting Kent are leaving in January though.

I think the 10k figure will have leaked by someone in Barker's or Rangers camp so other teams know he's in their price range and can go and get him.
I'm not quite sure that would have the desired effect. Who would want to pay £10k a week to a guy who has achieved the square root of feck all in his career?

Lets be honest, just about all of the players out on loan, or these two supposedly being released, are not at the necessary level required for us to reach the top

Future signings cannot be of the 'filler' variety. They must all make a real contribution

Last edited:
Jones is a very average player - he is the best of a bad bunch including Ojo and Barker.

None of those will be a miss - however these were all low risk “cheap” signings so haven’t really hurt us financially.
Not if barker is on "in excess of 10k per week ".

Doubt we'll be able to shift him easily if true.

The reason why celtics wage bill is so high is because they have better depth. Out with our first 11 our depth is crap, therefore if we want better bench warmers that can provide like for like replacement we are going to have to increase our wage bill by quite a bit. I refuse to believe we gave him a 10k a week contract. That would be Pedro era level of stupidity.

This might be just as simple as Gerrard wanting a player or 2 in, and the board saying to him, "If you want players A &B, you need to free up x amount of wages", and Gerrard has looked at his squad and picked the players he least wants to keep.

Im glad about that. Too many squad players making a living for nothing Steve.

Do you not think Jones deserves a 2nd chance?

Individually his treatment of Grezda, Lafferty, Docherty, Murphy etc might be the right call but I wonder whether it creates a culture of fear and creates too much distance between players and manager.

I'll take stick for this (particularly after what we witnessed pre SG) but I wonder if his standards are too high? Is it all stick and no carrot?

This might be just as simple as Gerrard wanting a player or 2 in, and the board saying to him, "If you want players A &B, you need to free up x amount of wages", and Gerrard has looked at his squad and picked the players he least wants to keep.
He must be confident of getting rid

Get them out to fcuk tired of having to watch average players who think they're superstars and are dugs dirt. Promote some youth such as Kennedy, bring back Kelly and McCrorie, bring Middleron into the squad again and sign two or three players. Need players prepared to give it all for the cause.

Individually his treatment of Grezda, Lafferty, etc might be the right call but I wonder whether it creates a culture of fear and creates too much distance between players and manager.

I'll take stick for this (particularly after what we witnessed pre SG) but I wonder if his standards are too high? Is it all stick and no carrot?
Alfie has been given chances as has Tav and Jack!

could be a case of simply not being good enough in the end

Im glad about that. Too many squad players making a living for nothing Steve.
This is a great point

the stage we’re at now, when we bring squad players in to replace for injuries/suspensions they should be making a mark and making it hard for Gerrard to bring back the 1st team players

none are doing that and it’s not good enough. We need guys to come off the bench to make a difference and change games like yesterday and we have no one capable

Personally I think Jones can contribute, even though I wasn’t keen on us signing him in the first place, but in saying that if we can get him out the door and replace him with a higher quality of player I’m all for it.

Brandon Barker being on 10k per week though? I honestly feel like vomiting in my mouth. An absolutely ridiculous piece of business if that’s true and if Ross Wilson manages to find someone to take him off our hands we should be all over it.

There’s definitely been too much noise about Jones leaving this month for there not to be something in at least. I hope it’s not just a case of Hastie & Middleton replacing them because although I do like them we really do need proper proven quality if we are getting rid of Jones & Barker.

Gerrard I don’t think has forgiven Jones for his sending off and injury against the poets, personally I would like to see him stay, Barker can go he really is awful and has offered nothing. If both go surely we need to bring in 2 replacements??

Individually his treatment of Grezda, Lafferty, etc might be the right call but I wonder whether it creates a culture of fear and creates too much distance between players and manager.

I guess it boils down to attitude from the players involved. Gerrard's big on players owning up to mistakes and taking responsibility for their actions.

Look at Barisic. I imagine Gerrard would've been impressed with how he accepted responsibility and apologised after 'that' Liverpool friendly. The other players mentioned didn't.

He got a reprieve and Grezda and Lafferty didn't. It's clearly not a coincidence.

Jones should be playing wide left with Kent on the right never mind selling him, Strange and disappointing. He has a lot to offer In this league. We better be bringing someone in as Ojo is nowhere near good enough.

Without reading the whole thread: 1) both are bang average 2) clearing them out, and Murphy and Middleton, must mean incoming creative wide players. No cover (mediocre as they are) would be left.

Surprised with Jones. Not so with Barker. Had high hopes for both, but if hasn't worked. Would still have Jones as an option though

Individually his treatment of Grezda, Lafferty, Docherty, Murphy etc might be the right call but I wonder whether it creates a culture of fear and creates too much distance between players and manager.

From what I’ve seen on the pitch Steve, yes I do think he deserved a second chance.

It seems that there’s an issue behind the scenes with his attitude, but I agree based upon what he’s done so far for us.

But guys like Barker, Flanagan, Halliday have nothing that we need at our level nowadays.

I hope it’s not a panic reaction to the Hearts defeat.

It seems like it a little bit.

The rumours about Jones leaving have been going on for weeks now, there must be something going on behind the scenes whereby Gerrard just doesn’t fancy him.

Barker is just plainly not good enough and seemed at the time to be a rushed signing because we didn’t think we were getting Ryan Kent back.

Surprised at this news with Jones. Prior to injury seemed to have worked his way well into the squad and was becoming an important first team member.

Also think it was his cross for Alfie v Legia IIRC, if that’s his last meaningful (positive) act then he goes with my best wishes.

But seems all rather strange.

Back