Shooting from distance

Mosesmcneil

I would like to see this attempted more often.
Currently I feel that we try to hard to play wonderful football and pass it into the net when a pair of laces through the ball a few passes before may have resulted In a goal.

Do we have the players capable of this?

I feel that arfield and jack should be trying their luck more often.

Totally agree with this. Midfield should definitely be trying more with long range shots with Defoe lurking in the box for any rebounds from the keeper. As much as I like Defoe I feel the game can pass him by occasionally so this would keep him on his toes
Excellent point regarding the rebounds.

Currently I feel that we try to hard to play wonderful football and pass it into the net when a pair of laces through the ball a few passes before may have resulted In a goal.

Really frustrates me with Arfield in particular- he gets in great spaces, and the play opens up to have a shot, but he’ll pass the buck almost every time.
He’s not bad, but he’s not brave enough for us...

You wonder if there's much emphasis on this at training. Even our star players have been utterly notorious for 'skying' shots, especially Albertz back in the day! For all the absolute screamers he had, he also missed tonnes.

I'd love to see this attempted more often. It would bamboozle other teams if we did it on a regular basis. It's hard to counter.

Last edited:

I've been saying this for a while but we are sadly lacking in quality such as an Albertz or Fergie, however the likes of Tav has shown he is more than capable. Surely SG could give our guys some pointers since he was one of the best at it...love to see the ball screaming into the net from distance :cool:

I don’t think I’m exaggerating here when I say this but I think we are the worst team I’ve ever seen when it comes to shooting from outside the box. Jack is the best in the team but it’s very specific i.e from 18-23 yards and it’s placed to the keepers left. barisic is good from a dead ball but other than that the rest are very poor.

in Gerrard reign I remember tav scoring from 2 free kicks but not shots more intelligent crosses. Barisic has scored 3 free kicks (st mirren, st Joseph’s, and hamilton). Jack, the exception in the team has scored 4 from outside the box I think (livi, ross county x 2, hamilton). Airfield - I can remember only 1 against hamilton last season. Kamara - 1 v livingston which was deflected in. Davis - 1 v Porto which was deflected in. Kent - 1 v hamilton this season. Morelos - 1 v Aberdeen last season (could be more but can think of too many long rangers from him). Defo - possibly only a dink from outside the box v hamilton this season.
In 18 months and from approximately 200 goals that is not a lot.

Been saying this for years. We are awful at it. Never a threat. Arfield's "shots" are like pass backs. Timid as f.uck and rarely on target. Jack and Davis don't possess any threat and just generally all over the team we are crap at this.

Announce Albertz!!

Our shooting from distance mainly leads to it getting charged down or ending up in row 'O' of the stand behind the goal. Ryan Jack score a couple on the trot but aside from that his shooting is poor.

Shaping up to have the shot then feigning, in theory, can lead to a few opposition players committing themselves and open up space, hence the tactic.

I love a 40 yard screamer as much as anyone else but there's reason and ability, IMO, which scuppers the frequency.

We've seen in Europe a couple of times this season the benefit of shooting from outside the box. It only takes a small touch to wrong foot a goalkeeper

The short answer to the question is because the shot would likely be blocked by one of the 10 men behind the ball and statistically has a small chance of going in.

Is it something that is being coached out of players? Don’t seem to see so many now and as others have said, when our players do they seem pathetic efforts!

Definitely need to do it more - can lead to deflected goals like kamaras at livi or corners which we're a good threat from now.

I don’t think we see it much because most of the players aren’t very good at it they and probably know that.

You’ll occasionally see Arfield or Davis balloon a shot over or wide, but that’s about the extent of it.

Of all our midfielders and strikers at the club, are there any of them that could put their laces through the ball from 25 yards and hit the target?

Shooting from outside the box is definitely an area where we lack any threat.

This isn’t just a recent thing, this has been going on for as long as I can remember

last time we scored quite regular and were good from outside the box was probably Albertz, GVB and Reyna era

Tavernier & Morelos have got good striking ability. So does Ojo but his mentality seems not right

Shooting from distance draws out defenders; if teams know we don't shoot from distance they pack the box and we'll never get balls into the forwards in a crowded area. Start shooting from distance too and we'll either score more from outside or there will be more space to score from inside.

For me Jack has made some improvements on this front this season, seemed to coincide during a period when his form was outstanding and confidence was clearly high.

Almost every game I find myself urging some of the others to 'hit it'

Our failure to do this on a regular basis is even more baffling considering we have one of its greatest exponents as our manager.

Shooting accurately from distance is a skill like any other. If we don’t have players who are good at it the fact that our manager was brilliant at it throughout his career is irrelevant.

We probably don't shoot because in reality fewer goals are scored from outside the box.

It's a question of whether you accept the stats as they are or try to improve them by getting players who are good - or can be improved - into better shooting positions.

We've been sorely lacking someone who can shoot from distance for years now. Need to give teams something to think about other than stopping us from walking the ball into the net.

Our failure to do this on a regular basis is even more baffling considering we have one of its greatest exponents as our manager.
Our shooting accuracy is poor though. Given Gerrard's shooting skills, I'd like to see this improve under his coaching. McAllister had a decent shot too as we found to our cost.

Problem is a lot of our players aren't actually very good at shooting from distance. Arfield, Jack, Davis, Kamara etc. Aribo for me is one that should be shooting more often though, i feel he could be a lot more direct and incisive in his play.

Surely I can't be the only one who's watched us have a few shots from long range over the last few games only to see them fly into Row Z? I certainly remember shaking my head at Barker's attempt against Stranraer. And then remember watching Arfield do the same (maybe against St. Mirren) and thinking "he's just as bad!".

I agree with the idea of shooting more. But based on what I've seen recently maybe it's for the best... unless we get a lucky deflection like they seem to get.

I take the opposite view.
I’ve never seen so many shots ballooned over the bar as much as we do.
You seem to sense where it’s going as we line up to shoot.

Been saying this for ages. Every game you see it. The game opening up & the opportunity to take a shot from distance or around the edge of the box & we simply don’t shoot, we pass it. Then we take that extra touch & the opportunity is inevitably lost. Seems to be real reluctance to shoot from distance. Something I would certainly like to see us introduce more off.

Have you watched some of our players shoot?
Lean back, lash out, pump over the bar. It’s no wonder they try to look for a pass at any opportunity.

It’s very frustrating

Totally agree we need to shoot more we fo try n walk the ball in to the net it does get extremely frustrating

I think it’s a tricky one in that tactically I fully believe we should do it, particularly given the tendency of teams to sit deep and park the bus against us.

Offering a real threat from distance makes that more difficult and they’ll be more inclined to press out a bit and leave space if they have to account for that threat.

On the other hand, as others have said, our players look borderline inept at shooting from distance on the rare occasions they try it. So whether it would actually bear fruit is another question.

With our manager, you’d think there can be few better to learn it from though and I often think it must drive him mental seeing the number of shooting opportunities go abegging because we decide to take a touch and try to pass our way through a brick wall instead.

Jack had a spell where he found his range from distance. I dont think thays kamaras game at all, arfields game is more about getting ahead of striker and not sure Davis has ever been prolific at shooting/scoring

Did I not read that Warburton was against speculative shots from distance (how he must have hated Barrie McKay’s screamer against the Yahoos)?

I also thought I read that this was gleaned from a general trend in coaching thought which tended to frown on taking a long distance pot shot for the hell of it.

Could Gerrard be of a similar mindset?

I find it a little bit strange that a guy who was one of the best strikers of a ball from distance as a player isn’t coaching his own charges to try their luck more often.

Shooting for distance doesn't just give you the chance of scoring, but it gives the deep sitting defence more to think about.
Do they push out more to close the midfielder to stop shooting effort, but leave more of a gap to the striker playing off the shoulder.

Have you watched some of our players shoot?
Lean back, lash out, pump over the bar. It’s no wonder they try to look for a pass at any opportunity.

It’s very frustrating

This. As we saw on Sunday with chances being blazed over. Surely hitting the target and making the keeper work is a basic skill drilled into players from single digit age - I know it was part of my coaching.

It’s partly the crowd, at Ibrox anyway.

Try a ping from 25 yards that misses and it’s all moaning and groaning.

Back