4-3-3 and Alfredo

Fergie90

Tin hat on :D

Does anyone else think alfie is one of our issues at the moment and possible reasons for our poor performances recently ?

Imo he is out best player by a mile when on form but when he plays like he did on Wednesday and for the 6 months after the chinese bid he becomes an issue.

He shoots from everywhere and is in selfish mode at points.

Problem being he cant or wont play in a two up top formation and we are never going to sub him off and it hinders our play and fluidity if he is thrashing at things from ridiculous angles etc

The wee man is top drawer and is the reason we are still in europe and were in a great position going into the winter break and hope he gets back to that level sharpish or we are in trouble.

Last edited:

Does anyone else think alfie is one of our issues at the moment and possible reasons for our poor performances recently ?

Imo he is out best player by a mile when on form but when he plays like he did on Wednesday and for the 6 months after the chinese bid he becomes an issue.

Problem being he cant or wont play in a two up top formation and we are never going to sub him off and it hinders our play and fluidity if he is thrashing at things from ridiculous angles etc

The wee man is top drawer and is the reason we are still in europe and were in a great position going into the winter break and hope he gets back to that level sheepish or we are in trouble.
I think your baaaaaat shit crazy

You can’t change it or this post becomes unfunny

I think your baaaaaat shit crazy

You can’t change it or this post becomes unfunny
You dont agree when he is having a shocker like on Wednesday he becomes a problem ? Gerrard wont sub him regardless of performance and he doesnt link up well with other strikers as he prefers to be up there on his own

Of course it is.

Our entire set up is based around getting him the ball and him polishing a turd.

I honestly think he needs someone up there with him. He may not appear to like it, but he needs a hand big time.

He was absolutely shocking on wednesday (like most) but needs help. Gerrard's inability to use any other tactic other than Liverpools set up is costing us.

No.

Next.....
I expected just a no in the first reply :D
You'll be ridiculed and told you're not supposed to see past his goals, but his two ridiculous red cards in December, and him snatching at chances since his return and being generally poor, have played it's part in our dire form.
Exactly mate. I love alfie and not trying to pin the blame on him but we need to be able to change or adapt if he is not playing well and being selfish with his stupid shots and bad decisions

Alfredo needs the service, he cant do it all himself. Hes clearly not 100% himself atm but he is not to blame for recent results imo.

I honestly think he needs someone up there with him. He may not appear to like it, but he needs a hand big time.

He was absolutely shocking on wednesday (like most) but needs help. Gerrard's inability to use any other tactic other than Liverpools set up is costing us.
This is my issue mate.

But I think Gerrard is reluctant to change systems as it doesnt suit his style of play and if he isn't on it then we will drop points

No but I think we should be coaching him in how to play better in a two, it has never worked previously with a strike partner for Morelos but I think him and Kamberi could be quite a good pairing.

It’s a problem in the fact if you keep him quiet, we rarely score.
The main problem is how hopeless our other players are in the other two attacking positions.

He needs scoring attacking wide players next to him like wee Aluko or how Cannigia played for us.

It’s a problem in the fact if you keep him quiet, we rarely score.
The main problem is how hopeless our other players are in the other two attacking positions.

He needs scoring attacking wide players next to him like wee Aluko or how Cannigia played for us.
Agreed mate.

If you look at most teams though they play their best striker and if they need a goal with 20 minutes to go they bring on another striker or replace the one that's having a poor game, we do neither unless theres about 4 minutes left which is pointless

Not sure what formation I would want, but would love to see Stewart getting a start alongside Alfie. We should definitely be going with 2 up front at home.

The wee man is top drawer and is the reason we are still in europe and were in a great position going into the winter break and hope he gets back to that level sharpish or we are in trouble.
12 goals in twenty five league games is a poor stat for a main striker at Rangers has discipline problems he looks heavy, plus first touch is poor now, it's a problem no one want's to mention or duck with excuses I cant see why.

He was very poor, yes, but he did score a perfectly good goal, hit the bar and probably should have had a penalty.

Even when he’s not playing well he’s still our best chance for goals.

Having said that, I am tempted to start with Kamberi tomorrow.

If he doesnt change it up tomorrow, he never will and we will continue to struggle v the dross week in and out due to his stubborness

No but I think we should be coaching him in how to play better in a two, it has never worked previously with a strike partner for Morelos but I think him and Kamberi could be quite a good pairing.
I just get this point about morelos not being able to play as a 2. We have never really given it a try. 10 mins here and there doesnt give him a chance to get used to it, let alone the rest of the team

The first thing Alfredo does when he manages to get hold of whatever launch up the park we have given him, is look up and find a pass. 2 Up when playing the dross of the league would mean there would be space all over the place for a finisher. Alfie basically occupys 2 CBs himself. Our issue would not be Alfie not being able to play in a 2, more so the midfield collapsing by not having a 3 man core.

This selfish shooting chat is nonsense aswell... he does that when he sees an opportunity or a gap to exploit. I expect him to go after it, he is a striker.

I just get this point about morelos not being able to play as a 2. We have never really given it a try. 10 mins here and there doesnt give him a chance to get used to it, let alone the rest of the team
I honestly think he prefers to be the main man and likes to have space to do his thing and a Defoe or kamberi would want to play in his spaces.

Agreed that it hasnt been tried properly to get a better idea of how it would work.

The first thing Alfredo does when he manages to get hold of whatever launch up the park we have given him, is look up and find a pass. 2 Up when playing the dross of the league would mean there would be space all over the place for a finisher. Alfie basically occupys 2 CBs himself. Our issue would not be Alfie not being able to play in a 2, more so the midfield collapsing by not having a 3 man core.

This selfish shooting chat is nonsense aswell... he does that when he sees an opportunity or a gap to exploit. I expect him to go after it, he is a striker.
Definitely see your reasoning about the midfield mate but he takes ridiculous shots on from crossing positions when theres a defender 2 yards away from him and stuff like that, the ones where the keeper isn't expecting it and it sneaks in are totally different.

It’s maybe irrational but I think I’d be annoyed if we started going 3-5-2 just because that’s what they have done.

I think several variations of 4-3-3 are what’s required.

4-3-3 with 10’s
4-3-3 with wingers
4-5-1 going into a 4-3-3
4-3-1-2 with tav and BB providing width

In all of the above I think we need a midfield enforcer type who sits and protects and smashes into folk when required for certain games.

I honestly think he prefers to be the main man and likes to have space to do his thing and a Defoe or kamberi would want to play in his spaces.

Agreed that it hasnt been tried properly to get a better idea of how it would work.
This idea of him not wanting to is based on (not meaning this at you) fiction put up here. Unless I've missed it, nothing frmo the club has said this. Gerrard is trying to play as close to liverpools style as possible and that requires 3 up top.

I'm sure alfie could and would play as part of the 2, but the problem is, we dont have the time to allow something like that to bed in. That being said, clearly what we have is failing at the minute

I agree it’s never been tried for long enough and I think that’s down to how Morelos plays, he needs to be less selfish and stop shooting from impossible angles and learn how to work better with a another striker.

I agree it’s never been tried for long enough and I think that’s down to how Morelos plays, he needs to be less selfish and stop shooting from impossible angles and learn how to work better with a another striker.
Id argue that the way morelos plays is ideal to be playing with a strike partner. He is great at making space, regularly drops deep and wide.

12 goals in twenty five league games is a poor stat for a main striker at Rangers has discipline problems he looks heavy, plus first touch is poor now, it's a problem no one want's to mention or duck with excuses I cant see why.
Let's not start criticising our biggest and at times, only goal threat. Especially given he's returning from a month without game time.

Alfie has averaged a goal every 108 minutes in the league this season. That is not a poor stat for a main striker at Rangers. Since returning from his ban, he has started 4 games, scoring once and having one wrongly disallowed against Kilmarnock. Playing in a very dysfunctional team and producing 2 in 4 whilst returning to fitness shouldn't be something held against him.

The mention of discipline problems is unfair, we've seen just last night the complete different standard that he's officiated to. It really is at a point that it's undeniable.

This idea of him not wanting to is based on (not meaning this at you) fiction put up here. Unless I've missed it, nothing frmo the club has said this. Gerrard is trying to play as close to liverpools style as possible and that requires 3 up top.

I'm sure alfie could and would play as part of the 2, but the problem is, we dont have the time to allow something like that to bed in. That being said, clearly what we have is failing at the minute
If I remember correctly he refused to pass to Cummings and missed and it stemmed from there but he was a different player then and it was Cummings.

Every team knows how we play now and train all week to combat that so if we start with two up top and mix it up a little I think we would win comfortably most weeks tbh

Looks like we re gonna have the rest of the season now to try different things, which wouldn’t be such a bad idea

Personally I would have hooked him on Wednesday as soon as he was booked for that dive.

And I agree with the OP. It’s clearly an issue when he’s playing badly and choosing the wrong option.

A 1 in 2 ratio for a non penalty taking striker who actually sits out the easiest games (where he would easily pad his stats out significantly) so another striker can can see some game time, isn’t a poor record. Stop talking shite, seriously.

I also don’t get the regular implications that he doesn’t actually want to play with a partner or won’t. It’s simply a case of it not suiting his style and his attributes. On the odd occasion he and Defoe played up front Defoe didn’t exactly look to be linking up with him so I’m not sure why it’s all pinned on Morelos time and again.

The truth is simple, he papers over a lot of cracks in the side, he even carries it often. He’s now went off form, isn’t playing will and so those cracks become more apparent as others fail to step up and make up for his poor form. But I’ll tell you what, he better find form again soon or we’re looking at an absolute landslide title victory for them.

Back