Gerrard has more points this season - at the same stage - than the last three times we won the league.

Is that stat meant to make us happy?

I think it's supposed to illustrate the path of improvement that we are on.

Season 2017/18 we finished 3rd on 70 points.
Out of Europe at the first hurdle in early July.
Out of League Cup and Scottish Cup in Semis.
Beaten by tims 4 times, losing 14 goals, and one 0-0.

Season 2018/19 we finished 2nd on 78 points.
Out of Europa League at group stage. We were still in it on Matchday 6.
Out of league cup in semis, out of scottish cup in quarters.
Beaten by tims twice but also beat them twice.

It's not a huge improvement there but it is better.

This season we are on 60 points so far with 25 games played. 9 better than last year.
Still in Europa League with a decent chance of last 16, but we'll see how it goes.
Narrowly beaten in League cup final. Still in Scottish cup.
Tims have beaten us twice and we have won at Parkhead.

Again there is a sense of improvement and I think most would agree that performances on the park were better until the winter break where we seem to have lost our form.

I think, all things considered, the best we can hope for at the moment is to see improvement each season. Ultimately resulting in a massive league win and a chance to get into Champions League in the near future.

I think it's possible to be both disappointed with recent results and also happy that we are looking better and better each year and not relying on Graeme Murty to come in halfway through the season after the manager leaves.

Can you show me an example of all these club their current debt structures as I'd be very interested to see where you got this information from?

Last edited:
we've won less than 50% of our games against aberdeen and kilmarnock in the last 2 seasons

oh look someone turd polishing

Informative post I honestly did not know that these clubs had cleared their debt and were in such a good place given the size of their fanbase.

3 more wins, a cup final appearence and yet more progression in Europe including wins AND remaining unbeaten against Feyenoord and Porto over 4 games.

Last three weeks doesn't alter that fact. It's been a horrible 3 weeks but I'm not going to sit here and kid myself that we're not learning anything as a team.

We've scored more goals, conceded less goals, gained more points.

Europe has been nothing short of outstanding. Gerrard has gone way way above the bar in expectations.

problem is he plays killie and hearts as if we are playing Porto every week. Earlier in the season Alfie was so often the difference. If he doesn’t play or is on form The effect is striking more than can be reasonably expected.

we are so passive and withdrawn it’s horrific to watch at times. Some of the most aimless football I’ve watched in the top flight. I said the other day it’s reminiscent of when MacLeish lost the plot through the season and went 4-2-4.

Be nice to see what the title winning teams went on to achieve in their final 12 games?
At present you could hazard a guess at the number of points we are still to drop.
Lies, damn lies and statistics

Which opposition have got significantly poorer ?

Celtic have 10 more points
St Mirren have 10 more points
Livingston have 6 more points
Motherwell have 8 more points
Hamilton have 1 more point

Hibs are a point worse. Aberdeen are 8 worse off. Hearts are 25 points worse off.
Frustration with that stat is that we’re dropping points to the teams that have got worse.

In one of Walter's 3 in a row seasons we didn't win at either Tynecastle or Pittodrie in the same season.

We also drew 3 games in a row 0-0.

These things happen
In Walter's first spell, we only beat Airdrie once in four attempts the year they were relegated.

Hibs and both Dundee clubs regularly took points off us.

There's a particular arrogance among some of our support who will write off every spl team not called celtic as dross, and bizarrely do the same to other European teams outwith the top tier ones. Young Boys? Dross. Spartak? They were dross too. So we're Rapid. Villarreal were OK, feyenoord and porto were fine. Everyone else though? Shite, dross etc.

The problem with doing that is that when you beat any of these teams, be it domestic or European, it means nothing, cause they're shite. If they get points off you, you've just dropped points to shite, thus the circle of seethe sustains itself.

They are miles ahead of the rest, including us, in every single area, department . Be it development, scouting, PR, whatever!
I bought into what I was told, they'll fold like a pack of cards, etc, etc! Well they haven't, we have.
I'm angry and I'm hurting. Unfortunately it appears that those who can change what has become the status quo aren't.
There's lies, damn lies and statistics!
Who told you that, and what was the context?

How strong are the other teams in comparison from then and now?

Find these kind of stats pretty pointless as we have dropped five points to the team bottom of the league ffs.
I saw this tweet earlier and I have to say it struck me as completely irrelevant. We don't need to go back ten years. We don't need to go back 1 year. We don't need to go back 6 months.

If we go back to the last few minutes of the scum game on 29th December, we were 2 points behind with a game in hand. Since then we have had self inflicted bans, players looking half fit and devoid of ideas, players picking up injuries, players contributing little to nothing, missed chances, points thrown away, struggling to beat stranrear, St Mirren and County and absolutely fkd it against Hearts, Aberdeen and Killie.

If we had avoided our own gongshow, it would still be in our hands. Looking back further than late 2019 is somewhat missing the point.

Teams back then were more competitive against us and them this is not the case now, the standard of player in Scotland now is very poor.
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Unfortunately in the microcosm that is Glasgow, you can't detach Rangers from what Celtic are doing.

We could end up with, I don't know, 15 more points than we had last season. But if we're still finishing 9 or 10 points behind Celtic, then you'd be hard pushed to call that progress.

Of course the most galling thing is that we've blown it of our own doing. We'd put ourselves in a fantastic position and then surrendered it so meekly. So pathetically.

No amount of stastical spin can dull the fact that we've went from putting our noses infront in the title race to pathetically surrendering it within 6 games. That's astonishing in its ineptitude.

I would call it progress as they wont be able to sustain that long term, they will have a dip
their best players will leave and they have to replace them.
We have to maintain and better our points tally year on year if possible.

Teams back then were more competitive against us and them this is not the case now, the standard of player in Scotland now is very poor.

Sorry to disagree mate buy I think that with the increase in the hatred of us that clubs are treating every game against us as a cup final. How often have we seen a team play out of their skins against us only to get cuffed the following week and go back to their previous mediocre form.

W.A.T.P.

What we are seeing is that a stronger rangers is pushing Celtic on . They had rubbish totals at times over the last few years as they could afford to coast to the title. Now they are having to go all out to stay ahead

I would call it progress as they wont be able to sustain that long term, they will have a dip
their best players will leave and they have to replace them.
We have to maintain and better our points tally year on year if possible.

You make it sound so gloriously simple.

Celtic's best players will leave. (Presumably you also think we keep all ours) and we topple them sooner or later.

But what if their new players are better than ours?

cG0GZGWg.jpg

Quality of opposition may be lower than previous years.

HOWEVER, hatred towards our football club is significantly higher than ever, and teams strive to take points off us when they play us (especially the likes of aberdeen, Killie, hearts etc). No matter how off form they are, they go into a game against us like it’s a final.

Doesnt matter how many points etc ar stages. What matters is silverware at the end of the season. Even if we win nothing this season I'm not daft enough to notice major improvement has been done by SG. But next season he needs to back that up with a trophy. If he gets a decent budget again this summer and doesnt win a cup then it's time for a change. I never wanted him in the first place I wanted warnknock. But he deserves next season aswell as we have improved massively.

There are some with little patience. It's all about 'now'.

When they don't get "now", they demand change. If changes doesn't satisfy them within 12-18 months, they'll demand more "now" meaning more change.

At some point, the Club needs stability, continuity and allowed to build. It's unfortunate but that's the reality.
Great post mate

Gerrard's sole barrier to being a successful Rangers manager is the games against the top 6 sides.

In all competitions against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Hibs since he took charge we have failed to win on 18 occasions out of 33 - 8 of those games we were winning at a point during the game.

That is what's killing his success, nothing else. So what isn't he learning which has seen the same scenario unfold on 18 occasions?

Lessons have clearly been learned.

Otherwise we wouldn't be 9 points better off same stage last season.

What lessons have been learned in the last games against Kilmarnock and Aberdeen compared to last seasons?

Gerrard's sole barrier to being a successful Rangers manager is the games against the top 6 sides.

In all competitions against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Hibs since he took charge we have failed to win on 18 occasions out of 33 - 8 of those games we were winning at a point during the game.

That is what's killing his success, nothing else. So what isn't he learning which has seen the same scenario unfold on 18 occasions?

It's a bit much to include Hearts and Hibs TBH.

Gerrard has 6 wins, 1 draw and a defeat against Hearts. 3 wins and 3 draws against Hibs.

You'd be as well including Livingston in that case.

What lessons have been learned in the last games against Kilmarnock and Aberdeen compared to last seasons?

Didn't we pump Aberdeen 5-0 this season ? We also went 2-0 up and were cruising before the players took their foot off the gas inexplicably. That's not on the manager's instructions I'd wager.

It's a bit much to include Hearts TBH.

Gerrard has 6 wins, 1 draw and a defeat against them.

You'd be as well including Livingston in that case.
I've included them because it's a specific type of game, the traditionally harder games in any league campaign.

By the same token I've included Hibs who we have 3 wins against this season.

Sensible assessment of the progress made will not outweigh our support's inability to handle them winning and us not winning.

The size of the gap has never really been accepted.

Whilst no manager is bigger than the club and SG is clearly accountable for aspects of the recent collapse I would not underestimate him really arriving at the conclusion he is doing a thankless task and he may be shocked at the fall out as the season progresses.

I've included them because it's a specific type of game, the traditionally harder games in any league campaign.

By the same token I've included Hibs who we have 3 wins against this season.

The Hibs games at Easter Road last season was nothing to do with being unable to break them down. We passed up countless chances in both matches. We played them off the park twice,

We had 19 shots on goal in each match.

The points total isn't the concern - it's the form dropping off a cliff since new year that's the worry.

Didn't we pump Aberdeen 5-0 this season ? We also went 2-0 up and were cruising before the players took their foot off the gas inexplicably. That's not on the manager's instructions I'd wager.

Last games. 0-0 against Aberdeen and 2-1 against Kilmarnock.

Same shitefests served up as the majority of games that mattered against them last season.

The 5-0 Aberdeen game, half their team was missing. Very much the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:
The Hibs games at Easter Road last season was nothing to do with being unable to break them down. We passed up countless chances in both matches. We played them off the park twice,

Surely that is the definition of not breaking them down you do that with goals scored not chances created. poor finishing has been our major problem and we have still not sorted it out.

But ultimately didn't win - twice. And it's just too many times to be a coincidence Dunc, with this team, when it's there to reach out and take, they can't do it.

Europe has been excellent again, it's been a mixed bag against them but yet again we're floundering in these types of matches.

18 times this has happened, that isn't a crease to be ironed out, it's a massive gaping hole in his performance.

I think it's supposed to illustrate the path of improvement that we are on.

Season 2017/18 we finished 3rd on 70 points.
Out of Europe at the first hurdle in early July.
Out of League Cup and Scottish Cup in Semis.
Beaten by tims 4 times, losing 14 goals, and one 0-0.

Season 2018/19 we finished 2nd on 78 points.
Out of Europa League at group stage. We were still in it on Matchday 6.
Out of league cup in semis, out of scottish cup in quarters.
Beaten by tims twice but also beat them twice.

It's not a huge improvement there but it is better.

This season we are on 60 points so far with 25 games played. 9 better than last year.
Still in Europa League with a decent chance of last 16, but we'll see how it goes.
Narrowly beaten in League cup final. Still in Scottish cup.
Tims have beaten us twice and we have won at Parkhead.

Again there is a sense of improvement and I think most would agree that performances on the park were better until the winter break where we seem to have lost our form.

I think, all things considered, the best we can hope for at the moment is to see improvement each season. Ultimately resulting in a massive league win and a chance to get into Champions League in the near future.

I think it's possible to be both disappointed with recent results and also happy that we are looking better and better each year and not relying on Graeme Murty to come in halfway through the season after the manager leaves.
I really fail to see how we have improved when we fcuk up two years in a row from a position of strength and momentum

Sensible assessment of the progress made will not outweigh our support's inability to handle them winning and us not winning.

The size of the gap has never really been accepted.

Whilst no manager is bigger than the club and SG is clearly accountable for aspects of the recent collapse I would not underestimate him really arriving at the conclusion he is doing a thankless task and he may be shocked at the fall out as the season progresses.

i won't ever be able to handle 4 wins in 10 against kilmarnock as good or reasonable or inevitable

other's mileage may vary

I really fail to see how we have improved when we fcuk up two years in a row from a position of strength and momentum

Well I suppose that depends on what metrics you want to use to measure improvement.

If you disregard European results and performances, disregard performance in the cups (so far of course), disregard points gained, goals scored and goals conceded in the league then, sure, no improvement.

Of course if you're willing to disregard all that then I would question your ability to judge whether or not we are improving at all.

Here's a wild and crazy thought. Maybe the way we win the league and build a foundation for future league wins into the next decade is by incremental improvements that will eventually add up to success.

We are improving and we have more potential for improvement. If we can build on this season then I'd fancy us to come out on top next season. If not then we need to keep moving forward. At least we can show we are moving in the right direction.

The all or nothing attitude is Super Scoreboard Openline levels of idiocy.

Well I suppose that depends on what metrics you want to use to measure improvement.

If you disregard European results and performances, disregard performance in the cups (so far of course), disregard points gained, goals scored and goals conceded in the league then, sure, no improvement.

Of course if you're willing to disregard all that then I would question your ability to judge whether or not we are improving at all.

Here's a wild and crazy thought. Maybe the way we win the league and build a foundation for future league wins into the next decade is by incremental improvements that will eventually add up to success.

We are improving and we have more potential for improvement. If we can build on this season then I'd fancy us to come out on top next season. If not then we need to keep moving forward. At least we can show we are moving in the right direction.

The all or nothing attitude is Super Scoreboard Openline levels of idiocy.
The European argument doesn’t really hold when we fail to beat the dross of the SPL where it really matters at the end of the day

The European argument doesn’t really hold when we fail to beat the dross of the SPL where it really matters at the end of the day
Have you looked at the team selection in Europa League group stages compared to team selection in the 25 league games? Apart from the forward right position and using either Helander or Katic our best team is Greegsy,Tav,Goldson,Katic/Helander,Barisic,Davis,Jack,Kamara,Kent and Alfie plus a n other.This list of players have been made up 10 of our 11 players in all Europa League group games unless unfit (and also the semi final and final of the league cup) contrast that with the 25 league games,the players from this list have made up 10 out of the 11 players in one solitary league game,our 2-1 win against that lot

Back