VAR - Becareful what you wish for

Caldow3

Yet again, VAR disallow what looks like a good goal in the Wolves v Leicester game, all because the Wolves player's left foot was offside. At any other time, the goal would have stood. In my opinion VAR kills the game.
The only way I'd want it in is if the managers had at least two challenges.
But with the state of the Officiating in our game I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place.

So an offside goal got chopped off for being offside.

I’ll take it.
After it was 'forensically examined' by the guys in a building miles away.
The ref is not asking them look at it,he's being told they're looking at it.
It's not the type of football i enjoy watching.

I think it's painfully obvious that a challenge system would work and improve the suspense/experience.

Using it every time is just boring and the vast majority of football fans feel that way, even if some people who are vocal in their support of it on a message board say otherwise.
I’ve heard this a few times and don’t agree. So you lose a match to a shocker of a decision just because you’ve used up your 3 (or whatever) challenges on previous, similarly bad, decisions?? Not for me. It’s either all in or all out.

If the officials would have accurately implemented the daylight/advantage to the attackers effectively years ago then I doubt VAR would ever have come to be.

I’ve heard this a few times and don’t agree. So you lose a match to a shocker of a decision just because you’ve used up your 3 (or whatever) challenges on previous, similarly bad, decisions?? Not for me. It’s either all in or all out.

It works quite well in tennis - that's what people are basing it on.

I can't be bothered typing my daily VAR response, but here goes:

3 decrepit, 19th Century Terrorist, ex-refs, in a caravan behind the stand with a couple of screens, a computer and an algorithm to shaft Rangers.

I think the points difference would be significantly greater than 10.

its not being implemented properly in england and they've been warned

when it was first introduced at the WC is was virtually spot on

the decision was meant to be clear and obvious

if its viewed for 4 minutes it can't possibly have been clear

I agree with you to a certain extent but I’d say watch that goal and then see what you think
I’m all for it but with the US approach, certain amount of time to review then if uncertain go with original decision.

Get the frustration at the stop start nature but if it gets it right in the end then....

England is by far having the most problems with it compared to other leagues. It seems to work fairly well elsewhere, the issue in England is how its being implemented and the referees themselves rather than the technology itself.

That pesky var getting things right again.
Look, even if it didn't get it right it is not being used properly. The ref has a monitor which is never used. A challenge system would make a difference.
Theres more to VAR than meets the eye.

Var is good, but the way it’s used could/must be used better.
The whole shoelace is offside nonsense is just that, Nonsense.
I’d implement a non digital added lines view for refs to look at, just like a paused tv with no extra inputs.

he then can decide if it’s off or onside from that

At the same time, I'm sure Kevin Clancy and John Beaton could 'find' an infringement in the build up somewhere if they really wanted to.
Oh yeah, as we know - penalties can be found if required. Thanks for reminding me how f*cked the game is up here :(

Look, even if it didn't get it right it is not being used properly. The ref has a monitor which is never used. A challenge system would make a difference.
Theres more to VAR than meets the eye.
It’s definitely not being used properly, but I’m all for it up here.

If we had VAR, we would not have lost the other night, we would probably have won the league cup, we would have got a penalty at Shittodrie and the scum’s equalizer on 29 December would not have been given. We mat have conceded a penalty v Hamilton

Yet again, VAR disallow what looks like a good goal in the Wolves v Leicester game, all because the Wolves player's left foot was offside. At any other time, the goal would have stood. In my opinion VAR kills the game.
But with the state of the Officiating in our game I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place.
He’s offside , correct decision, what’s the issue.

He’s offside , correct decision, what’s the issue.
He wasnt flagged offside, the ref never whistled he was offside.

Its the way the system is used that pisses supporters off. Did you hear the crowd and what they think of it....while everybody waited for a THIRD party to make the decision.

I'll take it .........if there are changes to how its being used at the moment.
I don’t think it’s being used like it was in the WC, if we could use it like that then it would definitely be a positive thing.

The scum would have got the red cards they should have and we would probably have the league cup in the trophy cabinet.

We need it ASAP.
Doesn’t matter how flawed it is, it has to be better than the referees too scared to give us a decision, taking the onus from them and onto others. If VAR got even 50% of our decisions correct we would be in a better position.

He wasnt flagged offside, the ref never whistled he was offside.

Its the way the system is used that pisses supporters off. Did you hear the crowd and what they think of it....while everybody waited for a THIRD party to make the decision.
I don’t like it either , but they wanted correct decisions , and that’s what it gives , whether it’s an inch or not , it’s offside.

I don’t like it either , but they wanted correct decisions , and that’s what it gives , whether it’s an inch or not , it’s offside.
It has to be reviewed on how it's used. But theres going to be a for it / against it opinion.
Hence, this discussion

It has to be reviewed on how it's used. But theres going to be a for it / against it opinion.
Hence, this discussion
Agreed , Personally I’m against it , I just don’t get when people moan about it being an inch offside , makes no difference how much he’s off , it’s off , and it’s brought it to make those calls.

No but I’ve seen many like it this season Unless it was wrong?
Cup final for instance.

Offside is offside.
His heel was offside and there were several touches after that, before the goal. No one in the stadium had a clue why it was disallowed. Even the ref didn't know who was offside walking off the pitch at half time. Extremely marginal decision and I believe this sort of thing is bad for the game. Yes technically correct but a net negative for football.

Rules are rules, sure, but in this case the rules are sh!te.

So you've created a thread because VAR correctly ruled out the goal. You've just told us his foot was offside. :D

So you've created a thread because VAR correctly ruled out the goal. You've just told us his foot was offside. :D
Only because it was picked up by the official 150 miles away. Even the Wolves Captain asked the ref why the linesman didnt flag it.

His heel was offside and there were several touches after that, before the goal. No one in the stadium had a clue why it was disallowed. Even the ref didn't know who was offside walking off the pitch at half time. Extremely marginal decision and I believe this sort of thing is bad for the game. Yes technically correct but a net negative for football.

Rules are rules, sure, but in this case the rules are sh!te.
Agree mate totally ruins it , however , they check every goal , so they can’t check it , see it’s offside , then just pretend it’s not because nobody clicked or claims that it was off. It’s offside , correct call , but agree , it’s sh\te and ruins the atmosphere.

What's the issue here? He came back from an offside position.

I enjoy watching decisions be correct. I enjoy Rangers lifting cup trophies.

But if you're content with Celtic's offside goal, and no VAR, okay then.

Back