Mary the Provo confirms 'Ooh ah up the 'Ra' is celtic's anthem

bloodandfire

THE leader of Sinn Fein has defended her party's decision to play the Wolfe Tones' Republican hit the 'Celtic Symphony'.
Mary Lou McDonald was quizzed on the controversial anthem popular among Hoops fans which contains the lyrics "Ooh Ah Up The Ra".
And she defended it being played among her party as she said she "can't change the anthem of Celtic Football Club".
Sinn Fein recently enjoyed their most successful Irish general election result as they won 37 seats - a 24.5 per cent increase from 2016.
During an interview with BBC Northern Ireland's The View, host Mark Carruthers asked: "It seems to many people that the Sinn Fein playlist during this election campaign has been all about 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans' and the 'Celtic Symphony'.
Host Carruthers then said: "Yes but the Celtic Symphony is 'Oh Ah Up The Ra'?"
To which McDonald replied: "Well look that's the Celtic song and, Jesus, you're not going to ask me to change the anthem of the Celtic Football Club for goodness sake.
"I think there is a space into which, on the one hand, we need to be alive to each other's sensitivities and respectful to each other.
"But there's another piece as well where we have to accept that there are certain cultural and political markers. The different traditions are going to say.
"And if we're going to take them literally or take offence we're going to spend our whole time being offended and I don't think there's any positive return in that for any of us."
The video for the Wolfe Tones' 1987 hit was partly shot at Celtic Park.

I was always under the impression that the modern ROI preferred to distance themselves from the lunatic mentally challenged fringe waving the tricolour.

After the political success of SF recently I’m starting to wonder.

It’s obvious that some southern RC’s went the same way as their northern co-religionists in that it doesn’t cause them any moral dilemma to vote for the IRA. Because that’s what a SF vote is. End of.

As for Mary Lou, if she was the last woman on earth I’d be looking for the flock of sheep first. She’s not even an NI voted politician but is never out of Stormont and its affairs. That’s a deliberate “all Oirland” windup from the Chukkies.

THE leader of Sinn Fein has defended her party's decision to play the Wolfe Tones' Republican hit the 'Celtic Symphony'.
Mary Lou McDonald was quizzed on the controversial anthem popular among Hoops fans which contains the lyrics "Ooh Ah Up The Ra".
And she defended it being played among her party as she said she "can't change the anthem of Celtic Football Club".
Sinn Fein recently enjoyed their most successful Irish general election result as they won 37 seats - a 24.5 per cent increase from 2016.
During an interview with BBC Northern Ireland's The View, host Mark Carruthers asked: "It seems to many people that the Sinn Fein playlist during this election campaign has been all about 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans' and the 'Celtic Symphony'.
To which McDonald replied: "Well look that's the Celtic song and, Jesus, you're not going to ask me to change the anthem of the Celtic Football Club for goodness sake.
"I think there is a space into which, on the one hand, we need to be alive to each other's sensitivities and respectful to each other.
"But there's another piece as well where we have to accept that there are certain cultural and political markers. The different traditions are going to say.
"And if we're going to take them literally or take offence we're going to spend our whole time being offended and I don't think there's any positive return in that for any of us."
If you agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment and there is a point to it, which can be expanded to include such anthems as the British National Anthem and of course the French National Anthem, then if we as individuals are going to allow space for such cultural and traditional songs and to grow a set as people and not be eternally offended by their existence and usage, then surely this allows for a song as old as The Billy Boys to also be awarded such a cultural and tribal expressional free pass and of course, the same deferent social defence?

Because if cultural expression becomes a one-way street, all we are left with is the persecution of those who are facing the wrong way and I think history tells us where that ends.

Last edited:
Unbelievable !!!

It’s obvious that some southern RC’s went the same way as their northern co-religionists in that it doesn’t cause them any moral dilemma to vote for the IRA. Because that’s what a SF vote is. End of.

As for Mary Lou, if she was the last woman on earth I’d be looking for the flock of sheep first. She’s not even an NI voted politician but is never out of Stormont and its affairs. That’s a deliberate “all Oirland” windup from the Chukkies.

I was under the impression (as unpopular as it is on here) that Northern Ireland wasn't in any way financially advantageous to Southern Ireland and that they had no appetite for a united Ireland on that basis. Is that wrong?

Ladies and gentlemen of the Unionist cause - the battle lines are being drawn. We need to get ready for what will probably be our biggest ever fight in order to save our heritage, traditions and our country's as we know them.

It's a two pronged attack from the Rhepublican sides. We have to show that we will never be defeated. Never ever. Not on our watch.

Rancid bastard FC. - We apologise for any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos. - Naw.
Rancid bastard FC. - We deplore any connections towards violent Irish Republican murder gangs. - Naw.
Rancid bastard FC. - We condemn the paedophile ring that operated within our club for decades and sincerely apologise to the hundreds of families we've destroyed. - Naw.

Sickening shower of scum!!

Oh dear

Let’s see how the scumbags in the SMSM cover this

She’s just outed the mentally challenged scum and what they sing about supporting the IRA

Police Scotland should be all over this song given the legislation regarding promoting and supporting pro terrorist songs

Let’s face it the head of Sein Fein admitting the Celtc Symphony is a terrorist supporting song is the clearest avenue to jail the bastards whmarw chanting these songs

With a well-oiled PR machine that has managed to make them the most popular party in the ROI, it's a wonder that they have so blatantly let their guard down here!

The mask always slips!

I was always under the impression that the modern ROI preferred to distance themselves from the lunatic mentally challenged fringe waving the tricolour.

After the political success of SF recently I’m starting to wonder.
Was under that impression till I met a fair number on my travels

Certainly hide it better but scratch the surface and there's definitely Ira sympathy

Ladies and gentlemen of the Unionist cause - the battle lines are being drawn. We need to get ready for what will probably be our biggest ever fight in order to save our heritage, traditions and our country's as we know them.

It's a two pronged attack from the Rhepublican sides. We have to show that we will never be defeated. Never ever. Not on our watch.
This is exactly why if independence ever happened we would be fúcked as a nation, the majority of the UK hate and despise these mentally challengeds, God bless the Queen.

I was under the impression (as unpopular as it is on here) that Northern Ireland wasn't in any way financially advantageous to Southern Ireland and that they had no appetite for a united Ireland on that basis. Is that wrong?

A southern RC voter for SF last week is more likely to be a protest vote against the 2 “establishment parties” rather than - as Mary Lou McDonut will claim - is a vote wanting a United Ireland. The ROI healthcare and social housing scenario is up the creek, the last thing they want is a pile of wasters from the Creggan and Andystown, along with a significant number of peeved off unionists.

A southern RC voter for SF last week is more likely to be a protest vote against the 2 “establishment parties” rather than - as Mary Lou McDonut will claim - is a vote wanting a United Ireland. The ROI healthcare and social housing scenario is up the creek, the last thing they want is a pile of wasters from the Creggan and Andystown, along with a significant number of peeved off unionists.
"peeved off unionists."
Probably a wee bit more than that.

Oh dear

Let’s see how the scumbags in the SMSM cover this

She’s just outed the mentally challenged scum and what they sing about supporting the IRA

Police Scotland should be all over this song given the legislation regarding promoting and supporting pro terrorist songs

Let’s face it the head of Sein Fein admitting the Celtc Symphony is a terrorist supporting song is the clearest avenue to jail the bastards whmarw chanting these songs
Ignore, Ignore, Ignore?

What a worrying direction this wee island is heading in.

We're mirroring the Yanks smashing their hands down onto big red buttons; seemingly out of spite, intrigue, ignorance or apathetic f*cking boredom.

Absolutely no idea where any of us will be in ten years time.

Strange times.

Back