If all Rangers players cared as much as Allan McGregor they wouldn’t be failing, says Kris Boyd

BlueMeanie

IT’S like they don’t have the first idea of what’s at stake for Rangers this season.

Either that or they couldn’t care less.

Kris Boyd believes every Rangers player should care as much as McGregor
Steven Gerrard, Allan McGregor, Steven Davis and Ryan Jack all get it. I reckon you can say the same for Andy Halliday and Gary McAllister.

In my book, they are hurting because they are doing everything to stop Celtic winning nine in a row.

But the rest? I look at that Rangers team and don’t see nearly enough determination to win this league title.

I see players who are failing their manager and supporters.

Andy Halliday was devastated at full time
Gerrard pointed fingers at them after last Wednesday’s defeat to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park — and he was 100 per cent spot-on.

If anyone in that changing room wasn’t happy with what their gaffer had to say in front of the TV cameras then they need to wake up and realise what’s going on.

Celtic are on the verge of history here.

This isn’t just any title that’s up for grabs, it’s one which means the world to Gers fans.

Yet I look at that team at the moment and genuinely wonder if enough of them even know what it’s all about.

Gerrard is bursting with passion. You can see the emotion in his eyes whenever he speaks and I love that about him.

This is a guy, remember, who went his entire playing career being grilled on Liverpool’s failure to win the title.

I reckon he’d give anything to be part of Jurgen Klopp’s team this season.

Gers boss Steven Gerrard took full responsibility
For everything else he achieved in the game, Gerrard must be sick of the suggestion he wasn’t good enough to lift a championship.

So this is his chance to address that as a manager and write his name into the history books as the man who stopped Celtic’s domination.

You just need to look at the way Gerrard spoke after that defeat to Killie to see how much it means to him.

I saw it, too, looking at Greegsy’s face on his way off the pitch. He was seething.

Davo didn’t get off the bench but I can just picture his anger afterwards. Jack has always struck me as a boy who understands what Rangers is all about.

Halliday has been a supporter, but I’ll take him out of this because he’s hardly played this season. It’s the guys who are there every week, picking up big money for doing nowhere near enough.

Ryan Kent cost £7million. That’s huge money for Gers to be shelling out on someone who has delivered next to nothing in return.

Celtic spent the same amount of cash on Christopher Jullien and he’s scored seven goals to Kent’s six. He’s a centre-back!

Kent failed to impress again
James Forrest has also been slaughtered by his own fans when the stats show he’s scored 16 goals in all competitions and had 19 assists.

Kent has set up just FOUR goals. I’m sorry, but how can that be good enough? How is that justifying your wages?

For me it’s indicative of the Rangers team which is full of players who wander around the club like lottery winners.

Think of it this way. Alfredo Morelos probably has a move in him. He’s got a chance of progressing in his career and stepping up.

But who else could you say that about right now? I can’t think of anyone in that team.

It’s like they have hit the ceiling of their careers and they know it.

There’s no real hunger to be winners and actually do something which will be talked about for years. I hate harking back to my time as a Rangers player, but not long after I joined the club I could have gone to Russia for what would have been monumental money for me personally.

Big Alex McLeish also tried to take me to Birmingham for a lot more than I was on at Ibrox.

But I didn’t want to go. Why? Because I hadn’t won anything.

I’d scored goals and lived out my dream of pulling on the No 9 shirt.

That wasn’t enough. I wanted to lift trophies and titles and be part of a group that could say we achieved something.

I wasn’t the only one who felt that way either. Our team was bursting with boys who were driven to win. It was an obsession. Every single minute of every single day.

I just don’t see that in this current lot. I thought they had it, as everyone did, including Celtic supporters, after that Old Firm win at the end of December.

But that was a false dawn. Rangers, in the three games against Celts so far this season, have been the better team. But that’s not what wins titles.

It’s about a mentality to grind out wins when you are not playing well.

It’s about fighting harder than the guy you are up against and it’s about having pride in the jersey you are wearing and the supporters you are representing.

Gerrard has it, but there aren’t enough people around him who can look themselves in the mirror and say the same.

There are other players in the team who I think “get it” but he hasn’t listed.

not many tho

Sounds very simplistic to me and plays right into the current blame/anger mood.

Maybe the squad isn't good enough? Relying on younger players to make the difference this season was always a big ask.

I posted yesterday about the fhilth’s core of Scottish players, and of course the ginger bigot, who ‘get it’. Sadly, we lack this in our side. Something we’ve mostly always had. It does make a difference and spreads throughout the rest of their side. Don’t expect their tempo to drop any time soon....

Big Alex McLeish also tried to take me to Birmingham for a lot more than I was on at Ibrox.

See this is what pisses me off about Boyd. Have a go but at least be factual if you're going to do it.

McLeish tried to sign him in January 2009. By which time he had scored 4 goals in 2 cup finals and won both.

And Ryan Jack 'gets it' more than James Tavernier, Scott Arfield or Connor Goldson ? Based on what ?

We have too many players that just don't get it.
Did you say that end of December?

This team deserve our full backing for the progress made in last few years.

Some fans have zero fight in them and just expect instant success.
Absolutely ridiculous if they can’t see a bigger picture which will cost us more leagues than a couple of defeats in a season.

Absolutely ridiculous if they can’t see a bigger picture which will cost us more leagues than a couple of defeats in a season.

You couldn't be more right.

This current Rangers team's winning nowt and in all likelihood will cost Gerrard his job.

If they don't get it now, will they ever? Will the sight of that lot celebrating 9IAR be enough to motivate them for next season?

I hope so, but wouldn't bet on it.

Halliday has been a supporter, but I’ll take him out of this because he’s hardly played this season. It’s the guys who are there every week, picking up big money for doing nowhere near enough.

Why you leaving him out Kris ? Just a couple of paragraphs earlier you said he 'got it'. He might get it but clearly that means eff all when he can't close down the right back to stop him equalising on Wednesday.

See this is the problem, being the biggest bluenose in the dressing room isn't some sort of 'get out of jail' card you can wave about. Halliday might 'get it' but the likes of Goldson and Kent have done way more to even get us within a sniff of the title in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate everything Kris Boyd done for us, but his 2nd stint and attitude does not give him any credibility with these comments.

See this is what pisses me off about Boyd. Have a go but at least be factual if you're going to do it.

McLeish tried to sign him in January 2009. By which time he had scored 4 goals in 2 cup finals and won both.

And Ryan Jack 'gets it' more than James Tavernier, Scott Arfield or Connor Goldson ? Based on what ?
A league cup and beating QOS in the final of the Scottish, having reached a European final and had the filth use a dead man to win a league title?

I'm actually happy Kris feels he hadn't won anything by that point. I guess that's exactly what he means by 'getting it'.
No Rangers player should think they're a success if they don't win titles.

As for Ryan Jack? I'm guessing being a supporter all his life as well as spending his entire career in this league.

A lot of our players don’t get it. The problem is, who in our team than maybe McGregor is telling off these players and getting into them. I’d hope it would be Davis etc but who knows what happens behind the scenes.

A league cup and beating QOS in the final of the Scottish, having reached a European final and had the filth use a dead man to win a league title?

I'm actually happy Kris feels he hadn't won anything by that point. I guess that's exactly what he means by 'getting it'.
No Rangers player should think they're a success if they don't win titles.

As for Ryan Jack? I'm guessing being a supporter all his life as well as spending his entire career in this league.

I wasn’t the only one who felt that way either. Our team was bursting with boys who were driven to win. It was an obsession. Every single minute of every single day.

Says the man who previously said he couldn't be arsed working on his all round game because "I was good at scoring goals"

Cool Kris mate. Best lay off the slagging off anyone else then.

Why you leaving him out Kris ? Just a couple of paragraphs earlier you said he 'got it'. He might get it but clearly that means eff all when he can't close down the right back to stop him equalising on Wednesday.

See this is the problem, being the biggest bluenose in the dressing room isn't some sort of 'get out of jail' card you can wave about. Halliday might 'get it' but the likes of Goldson and Kent have done way more to even get us within a sniff of the title in the first place.
McGregor is starting to look old as well, caring more than others isn’t enough. We’ve conceded a few goals that 12 months ago you’d expect him to do better at or at least move for. He’s looking static and heavy legged for anything hit along the ground no matter how close to him or how fast it’s travelling.

Feels bad saying that given how often he’s saved us over the years, even since coming back last season, but we need to start looking at his replacement.

Sounds very simplistic to me and plays right into the current blame/anger mood.

Maybe the squad isn't good enough? Relying on younger players to make the difference this season was always a big ask.

a 35M pound wage bill and 7m wasted one player are not good enough to beat kilmarnock?

I agree with KB. When we had a team of Proddies and Masons ,they fought for the jersey and they were proud to wear it because they knew what it meant to the guys who paid their money to stand on the terracings in the rain and sleet to cheer on the team. Most were from Scotland with the occasional foreigner thrown into the mix so they all knew the score. Nowadays, we have a team of overpaid mercenaries who will down tools as we have seen the last few weeks, if things don't go their way or they get tackled.

Maybe we need to go back to the "bad old days" and play the Scottish teams the way they play us with crunching tackles, time wasting, wee fly kicks when the ref's not looking etc. Then when the mhedia go to town on us,tell them to take a flying f*** to themselves as we are past caring about what they say.

The basis of his argument is correct.

We have a right to question a lot of what's happened in the last 3 weeks without being painted as toddlers having a tantrum like they've been told they can't have ice cream.

The complete lack of any sort of urgency, tempo and personality about our performances since the Stranraer game has been a disgrace. Boyd is right - I have personally found myself watching wondering do the players realise the situation they are in and what it means?

A lot of the games have been at almost testimonial pace, it's completely unacceptable.

Specs off - Alan has had his moments. Giving all for the jersey ‘ is a given’ but hes had some naive moment’s himself you’d thought he’d grown out of but still petulant as ever. We need grit on the park but is it Al.. no not for me.

IT’S like they don’t have the first idea of what’s at stake for Rangers this season.

Either that or they couldn’t care less.

Kris Boyd believes every Rangers player should care as much as McGregor
Steven Gerrard, Allan McGregor, Steven Davis and Ryan Jack all get it. I reckon you can say the same for Andy Halliday and Gary McAllister.

In my book, they are hurting because they are doing everything to stop Celtic winning nine in a row.

But the rest? I look at that Rangers team and don’t see nearly enough determination to win this league title.

I see players who are failing their manager and supporters.

Andy Halliday was devastated at full time
Gerrard pointed fingers at them after last Wednesday’s defeat to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park — and he was 100 per cent spot-on.

If anyone in that changing room wasn’t happy with what their gaffer had to say in front of the TV cameras then they need to wake up and realise what’s going on.

Celtic are on the verge of history here.

This isn’t just any title that’s up for grabs, it’s one which means the world to Gers fans.

Yet I look at that team at the moment and genuinely wonder if enough of them even know what it’s all about.

Gerrard is bursting with passion. You can see the emotion in his eyes whenever he speaks and I love that about him.

This is a guy, remember, who went his entire playing career being grilled on Liverpool’s failure to win the title.

I reckon he’d give anything to be part of Jurgen Klopp’s team this season.

Gers boss Steven Gerrard took full responsibility
For everything else he achieved in the game, Gerrard must be sick of the suggestion he wasn’t good enough to lift a championship.

So this is his chance to address that as a manager and write his name into the history books as the man who stopped Celtic’s domination.

You just need to look at the way Gerrard spoke after that defeat to Killie to see how much it means to him.

I saw it, too, looking at Greegsy’s face on his way off the pitch. He was seething.

Davo didn’t get off the bench but I can just picture his anger afterwards. Jack has always struck me as a boy who understands what Rangers is all about.

Ryan Kent cost £7million. That’s huge money for Gers to be shelling out on someone who has delivered next to nothing in return.

Celtic spent the same amount of cash on Christopher Jullien and he’s scored seven goals to Kent’s six. He’s a centre-back!

Kent failed to impress again
James Forrest has also been slaughtered by his own fans when the stats show he’s scored 16 goals in all competitions and had 19 assists.

Kent has set up just FOUR goals. I’m sorry, but how can that be good enough? How is that justifying your wages?

For me it’s indicative of the Rangers team which is full of players who wander around the club like lottery winners.

Think of it this way. Alfredo Morelos probably has a move in him. He’s got a chance of progressing in his career and stepping up.

But who else could you say that about right now? I can’t think of anyone in that team.

It’s like they have hit the ceiling of their careers and they know it.

There’s no real hunger to be winners and actually do something which will be talked about for years. I hate harking back to my time as a Rangers player, but not long after I joined the club I could have gone to Russia for what would have been monumental money for me personally.

I’d scored goals and lived out my dream of pulling on the No 9 shirt.

That wasn’t enough. I wanted to lift trophies and titles and be part of a group that could say we achieved something.

I just don’t see that in this current lot. I thought they had it, as everyone did, including Celtic supporters, after that Old Firm win at the end of December.

But that was a false dawn. Rangers, in the three games against Celts so far this season, have been the better team. But that’s not what wins titles.

It’s about a mentality to grind out wins when you are not playing well.

It’s about fighting harder than the guy you are up against and it’s about having pride in the jersey you are wearing and the supporters you are representing.

Gerrard has it, but there aren’t enough people around him who can look themselves in the mirror and say the same.
So basically , Boyd pals and Ryan Jack are the only ones that care.

Typically of ex players in the Scottish media.

Unfortunately many on here will lap up the nonsense he is spouting (basically unless I know you (or you a Scottish) then you don't care

Aye cause you really gave a %^*& Kris in your last spell with Rangers when we finished 3rd in the championship

'Steven Gerrard, Allan McGregor, Steven Davis and Ryan Jack all get it'

They might 'get it' but have all be culpable of mistakes and poor performances the same as everyone else of late - which sort of overrides the point being made. The right attitude helps you a good a bit along the way, but consistency is what gets you over the line.

The majority of teams go through rough patches but the best teams have a small core that get you through it regardless.

I agree with KB. When we had a team of Proddies and Masons ,they fought for the jersey and they were proud to wear it because they knew what it meant to the guys who paid their money to stand on the terracings in the rain and sleet to cheer on the team. Most were from Scotland with the occasional foreigner thrown into the mix so they all knew the score. Nowadays, we have a team of overpaid mercenaries who will down tools as we have seen the last few weeks, if things don't go their way or they get tackled.

Maybe we need to go back to the "bad old days" and play the Scottish teams the way they play us with crunching tackles, time wasting, wee fly kicks when the ref's not looking etc. Then when the mhedia go to town on us,tell them to take a flying f*** to themselves as we are past caring about what they say.
What a lot of shite you talk, its people like you that's an embarrassment to our support

Boyd is 100% correct
We have too many players thinking they only need to show up
To be fair the manager seems to think the same. Under Gerrard we had won there 2 out 5 attempts and been honking since in the 6 games leading up to it. Do we try something different? Do we surprise Kilmarnock? Do we make the slightest change? Nope. Same players playing in pretty much exactly the same position at the same bollocks tempo. Games getting away from us in the 2nd half. Do we bring Davis on try and get a foot on the ball? Do we bring Jones on to try and run them up the pitch? Do we change formation to stem the tide a bit? Nope. We sit and wait until fckin disaster strikes then panic.

Says the man who previously said he couldn't be arsed working on his all round game because "I was good at scoring goals"

Cool Kris mate. Best lay off the slagging off anyone else then.

He’s absolutely full of contradictions that’s for sure. Glad he’s stuck up for us quite a bit lately but he must think we all have short memories that don’t stretch back beyond half a decade.

Spot on. And no Tav does not get it. Will never forget him back slapping and laughing with Celtic players after one of our losses. He’s a non factor in the captain role.

Hard to argue with much of that. He makes some really good points about players hitting their ceiling however I think Kamara and Borna have got a move in them but that’s about it.

Back