Pele 'embarrassed' to leave home amid mobility issues and has become reclusive.

But they had a special player who made them an exceptional team and it showed in England in 1966 when was injured.

No other player has had such a massive impact over 4 WC's.
Actually, he missed most of the world cup in 62 through injury but Brazil still managed to get by without him, they did have a lot of good players. Missed most of 66 as well, that's true. Couldn't really say he had a massive impact in either of those tournaments, I suppose.

Actually, he missed most of the world cup in 62 through injury but Brazil still managed to get by without him, they did have a lot of good players. Missed most of 66 as well, that's true. Couldn't really say he had a massive impact in either of those tournaments, I suppose.

For reasons best known to themselves, I never knew about Pele's injury in the 62 WC. A glaring gap in my knowledge.

For reasons best known to themselves, I never knew about Pele's injury in the 62 WC. A glaring gap in my knowledge.
There's no doubt Pele was a great player, one of the best ever. He's got three World Cups, Brazils all time top goal scorer and if someone thinks he's the best ever, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. But a lot of his achievements have been overstated and puffed up over the years and for me the 1200 goal thing is the biggest load of bollocks in football. It's in the Guinness book of records. Know how many goals Messi has scored in friendlies or u21 games? No one cares.

I remember being about 6 or 7 and I was at Butlins with my friend. We stayed up late one night with his grandad telling us stories about Pele. I had no idea who he was; but just hearing the enthusiasm in his voice and seeing the awe in his eyes convinced me he was special. Will never forget it. Hopefully tell my own grandkids about Laudrup one day too.

Correct. I don’t know why old timers feel the need to rewrite history

There's no doubt Pele was a great player, one of the best ever. He's got three World Cups, Brazils all time top goal scorer and if someone thinks he's the best ever, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. But a lot of his achievements have been overstated and puffed up over the years and for me the 1200 goal thing is the biggest load of bollocks in football. It's in the Guinness book of records. Know how many goals Messi has scored in friendlies or u21 games? No one cares.
Until I read this thread I was oblivious to the 1200 goals thing. As far as I was concerned, Brazilians - who have had more than their share of absolutely world class footballers (think Garrincha, Tostao, Socrates, Edu, Gerson etc.) - seem unanimous that he's their greatest ever player by a country mile. Does that make him the greatest player of all time? I don't know. I don't know if he was better that Di Stefano, Maradonna or Messi and I don't particularly care. I think that he's certainly up there, though.
I agree that the 1200 goals thing doesn't do him any favours. I think of him as a great footballer, rather than a great goalscorer.

I think you have a point on this

Back