Katic - Lyndon Dykes almost on same level as Morelos

We signed some of the SPFLs better players last summer, and heard the same shite on here backing them up, and it still continues.
We have missed out on most of the best SPFL players in recent years. The fact that we haven't signed the best doesn't prove anything. A good few play at a good level in England now. Many were ridiculed on here for saying we should should have signed McGinn who eventually joined Villa for £2.5m.

Dykes is not as bad a striker as some on here try and make out. He's decent and I've watched him rag doll both us and the scum. Should we be aiming higher? I'd say so, but he's certainly not a terrible striker.

You need to be realistic in expectation. This isn't the 80s & 90s where you had like for like in each position. Akin to someone like Gordon Durie who was backup for mccoist and hateley for much of his career.
We've just signed Ianis Hagi ffs, it's not unrealistic to ask for better young talent than Dykes.

Developing players is not a luxury, it's the norm for every club in the world outside the top of the big 5 leagues.

That being said, there are far better prospects out there

The player in question is Lyndon Dykes though. Imo there are too many rough edges and not enough basic attributes to make it workable as far as we are concerned right now.

I’m not sure about Dykes but I though their centre half with the pony tail looked decent yesterday.

Being a footballer doesn’t make you an expert, just stick on a sports channel, listen to them and my point will be backed up.

If Michael Stewart said that this forum would be in meltdown, and rightly so.

I think it makes him far more of an expert on the matter than you.

I don't think he's just bigging up Dykes for no reason at all, he obviously thinks he was a difficult opponent to play against. Hardly worth calling it a "stupid comment"

We seem to have been saying a few positive things about him recently, makes me wonder if we are planning a summer bid.

We have missed out on most of the best SPFL players in recent years. The fact that we haven't signed the best doesn't prove anything. A good few play at a good level in England now. Many were ridiculed on here for saying we should should have signed McGinn who eventually joined Villa for £2.5m.
Like whom? McGinn would of never came here, and it was plainly obvious he had a couple of levels to go up. There is not one player in the rest of the league that is like that right now.

Its the lowest standard of opposition in a long, long time - and maniacs on here want to sign them. Say hello to 10iar and so on if you get your wish.

We seem to have been saying a few positive things about him recently, makes me wonder if we are planning a summer bid.
I think if we were then Niko would have been told to say he doesn't know what all the fuss is about he's mince.

I think it makes him far more of an expert on the matter than you.

I don't think he's just bigging up Dykes for no reason at all, he obviously thinks he was a difficult opponent to play against. Hardly worth calling it a "stupid comment"
Katic no doubt thinks Brophy is a tough opponent too.

Yeah but in all fairness Morelos came to our attention because he'd scored a barrow load of goals, could you say the same of Dykes
That's true brother, but would Dykes do the same in The Finnish league? I think recent results have shown we sometimes need a more direct approach. He was giving our defenders, and me, the fear yesterday.

Like whom? McGinn would of never came here, and it was plainly obvious he had a couple of levels to go up. There is not one player in the rest of the league that is like that right now.

Its the lowest standard of opposition in a long, long time - and maniacs on here want to sign them. Say hello to 10iar and so on if you get your wish.
You can dig up the threads, there were big debates on it. He wouldn't have come but that's a different matter.

I some how don't see Lyndon Dykes doing to Porto, Young Boys, Legia, Feyenoord what Morelos has.

Not the first striker in Scotland to cause Katić problems.

Katic is a young CH still finding his feet! I’m a fan but for me, he’s still behind CG and FH.

Goldson covers Katic way more than he gets credit for!

As for Dykes - I still feel there is a place in our squad for him or a player like him

Folk as usual gettin their knickers on a twist without knowing what was actually said by Katic.
Hes not saying Dykes is as good a player as morelos, hes talking about hold up play and physicality.

Hagi was/will be a huge investment and wasn't signed to be a squad player.
And we shouldn't be signing anyone to be a squad player, that's my point.

The manager has stressed competition for places so many times this season, when Morelos leaves we should and likely will be signing 2 strikers to compete for that first team place.

Squads don't improve by adding designated 3rd choice options

I actually like him as a player, could be a decent option in the summer. If we have a formation change with 2 up top then we'll definitely need another striker.

Decent player at this level. Potential to improve. Scored against the mentally challengeds. If the price was right I wouldn't be adverse to the move. But won't lose any sleep over it or Niko's comments.

Do you remember the summer? Were we kept signing squad players - how has that worked out?
For what it’s worth, I was dead against Jones on the basis he hadn’t massively stood out at this level and some of the other signings. I have only seen glimpses of Dykes but he looks to me, on limited evidence, like he would do very well at a higher level.

I bet sister juilian is not looking forward to come up against him in a few weeks, main ragdolled him yesterday and i think dykes is twice the player.

Yeah but in all fairness Morelos came to our attention because he'd scored a barrow load of goals, could you say the same of Dykes

Three goals less than Morelos in the league in a weaker team, he would score more for us I would think, do not know if he's good enough though as we really need a striker who can get 2, 3, 4, in games against the weaker teams as that's what we miss.

Pretty straightforward I'd have thought. When looking for back up to replace Defoe in January he reluctantly opted for Kamberi when the deal for the Czech lad fell through. If Dykes was rated why would he take Kamberi over him?
They are different type of players.

I don’t think Gerrard had a straight choice between the 2, we also only have Kamberi on loan at this stage.
Who is to say Livingston would have been as accommodating given that unlike Kamberi at Hibs, Dykes is crucial to how they play.

Dykes is the physical type mould player we need against the Scottish dross, has quite a good habit of big goals and doesn't attract much attention from the refs

If he was to sign for us he would be a card magnet instantly with the way he plays.

Walter always used to pick up the best players in Scotland he thought could do a job for us.
I think we have allowed Celtic to snap up the best players here for too long. We have no right to be snobbish about players, we are close to a decade now without winning anything.

While he didn't come from Scotland, he reminds me a bit like Lafferty. Tall, runs at defenders, awkward to play against, habit of big goals.

Walter had him as his 3rd striker when we last won the league. I know that the gaffer and Walter prefer different styles and therefore Dykes might not be suited but I wouldn't be sneering off the suggestion.

He single-handedly done what no other striker has done in the league this season and bullied the manks defence, scored and beat them. If Katic is now saying he was difficult to play against then there could be a player in there that could do a job for us. Not as our #1 starter but as a guy we could turn to when things weren't going to plan? I can think of worse signings for £1m

Lack of service is not our problem it's poor finishing we are still creating a lot of chances in games.

The lack of service is an issue, there's no point in saying otherwise. It's why he went out and got Hagi in January ffs. We struggle to break teams down week in week out and are heavily reliant on full backs in this respect.

Last edited:
While he didn't come from Scotland, he reminds me a bit like Lafferty. Tall, runs at defenders, awkward to play against, habit of big goals.

Walter had him as his 3rd striker when we last won the league. I know that the gaffer and Walter prefer different styles and therefore Dykes might not be suited but I wouldn't be sneering off the suggestion.

He single-handedly done what no other striker has done in the league this season and bullied the manks defence, scored and beat them. If Katic is now saying he was difficult to play against then there could be a player in there that could do a job for us. Not as our #1 starter but as a guy we could turn to when things weren't going to plan? I can think of worse signings for £1m

Lafferty failed at Rangers twice because he couldn't be relied on to do the necessary often enough, I suspect this guy would come into the same category.

Lack of service is not our problem it's poor finishing we are still creating a lot of chances in games.

Lack of service has certainly been a problem since the break, possibly aside from yesterday. Some of the matches Defoe played in you'd think he wasn't there, barely received a pass to feet for entire games.

Then why does he play for Livingston? Is it just Bad luck coupled with poor career choices or might it just be the guy is an extremely limited footballer who is simply capable of putting himself about a bit.
Why did Kamara play for Dundee.. I'm not for or against Dykes but the fact he plays for Livi shouldn't sway folk. He is 24 so has scope for improvement.

The guy is sticking out like a sore thumb. Him and a quality poacher would do very well in this league. We keep saying we need to have a plan B but it seems that some don't want our style of football to change. The pretty passes are getting us nowhere in this league especially when it becomes a battle.

I think most of the English Championship teams will be looking at him as he is also ideal for that league so we may need to move fast.

Back