Katic - Lyndon Dykes almost on same level as Morelos

That’s amongst the more silly and irrelevant posts on this thread.
Morelos has had a much better season than Dykes.

Dykes isn’t the talismanic, much rewarded focal point of a championship chasing team who has effectively helped himself to a 2 month holiday at the crucial time.

Aiming higher you say but you think we should sign Ferguson who also has done absolutely f uck all bar few no bad few games against us.
That's a complete strawman but I'll answer it anyway. Not taking the blame if the thread gets derailed.

Lewis Ferguson is 4 years younger(20)than Dykes and is already more experienced than players in our squad, he's played more professional games than Jordon Jones has for example.

We are very light in midfield, we are even lighter when you take style of player into account. He's already quite an effective destroyer type and would be worth investing time into, even if that involves spells out on loan.

The only players I'd be considering in the SPFL currently are Ferguson, Souttar and possibly Turnbull if he recovers his pre injury form.

Dykes is much better than many on here seem to think

He certainly is.

Won more than he lost against Katic in the air and not many strikers can claim that.

He's lightning quick too and also has great physicality.

He also showed great technique with his shot that came off the post

Best striker in Scotland outside us and them and will develop into a top drawer striker.

It’s horses for courses isn’t it.
I am not advocating signing Dykes, just that he would be a decent option and give us a different dimension to our game when required.

Needs to be playing regularly to develop further and improve. He's not going to get that at Rangers.

We lose Morelos and we need genuine quality to replace him. Then we've got Defoe who will be second in command. Third choice is barely making the bench, unless Defoe becomes third choice which means back up to the main striker has to be better than a Kamberi or Dykes.

Looks good, but you forgot big Uche "gives you something different" Ikpeazu. Maybe we could bring back Louis Hoult to Scotland as well?
The list of strikers that have been consistently suggested on here...

Josh Magennis
Louis Moult
Uche Ikpeazu
Lawrence Shankland
Dolly Menga
Eamonn Brophy
Curtis Main
Sam Cosgrove

Make no mistake, next season there will be another physical striker that folk will pray for. My bet is Ogkmpoe from Hamilton.

Needs to be playing regularly to develop further and improve. He's not going to get that at Rangers.

We lose Morelos and we need genuine quality to replace him. Then we've got Defoe who will be second in command. Third choice is barely making the bench, unless Defoe becomes third choice which means back up to the main striker has to be better than a Kamberi or Dykes.
Again, I am not advocating we sign him. It was a purely hypothetical response to your initial post.

Once Morelos goes we are gonna need 3 strikers cause Defoe will be pushing 40 in another year's time.

Bollocks.

Dykes is nowhere near as bad as Clarke, Kyle, Daly, Black, Law and so on and so on.

Utter snobbery by some here.

Not one poster had Ever heard of Morelos until we signed him. Anyone saying they did is a liar.

Not for one second am i suggesting he's our Top Target but fck me he would be a good addition to a squad and surrounded by better players become even better himself.
Where did I say he was? I said it would be reverting back to lazy recruitment habits, it would be on the same level as Velicka or Gow back in the day.

Nobody had ever heard of Morelos? Ok, why is that relevant? We should be doing our homework on more players like him.

Salzburg found Haland and he became a superstar in 6 months, they have such a good reputation for it that people are expecting it again in the summer. That's the model we should be trying to emulate, not an SPFL scattergun approach. All you have to do is look at Jones and Barker to see how that turns out.

He done well against Goldson once, the first time they played against each other. Has he got the better of him since?

My issue is with targeting squad players. We done it in the summer and it didn’t work. With an expansive, evergrowing recruitment team we should be able to sign players who push others to the bench.

We have so much deadwood its frightening.
The need for a 3rd striker was obvious for a long time before Defoe's injury, for a side that plays one up front we aren't going to get much better than Kamberi or Dykes to accept that role.
Whoever we signed was always a squad player, unless you saw us signing someone to push Morelos out of the side?

Because he doesn't get the better of Goldson every game doesn't mean he hasn't played well against us.

For the record, I'm not saying he's a player we need to be signing, I just won't rule a guy out based on him playing for Livingston.

He certainly is.

Won more than he lost against Katic in the air and not many strikers can claim that.

He's lightning quick too and also has great physicality.

He also showed great technique with his shot that came off the post

Best striker in Scotland outside us and them and will develop into a top drawer striker.
He gets lumped together with Cosgrove on here as a bruiser and no more but he actually has very good technique.

Where did I say he was? I said it would be reverting back to lazy recruitment habits, it would be on the same level as Velicka or Gow back in the day.

Nobody had ever heard of Morelos? Ok, why is that relevant? We should be doing our homework on more players like him.

Salzburg found Haland and he became a superstar in 6 months, they have such a good reputation for it that people are expecting it again in the summer. That's the model we should be trying to emulate, not an SPFL scattergun approach. All you have to do is look at Jones and Barker to see how that turns out.

You quote the above players yet think we should sign Ferguson ffs.

Make your mind up.

Bang on.

Patson Zaka will be that player, who they signed from Africa for nothing but will sell for +£20m.

Luckily we have Ross Wilson in charge now, and I fully trust him with recruitment. Someone who casts his net out far and wide.

Dykes is the physical type mould player we need against the Scottish dross, has quite a good habit of big goals and doesn't attract much attention from the refs
Put our jersey on him and thats enough attraction for the SellikFA!

Why would you exclude Jack and Kamara?
Rhetorical question by the way.

The need for a 3rd striker was obvious for a long time before Defoe's injury, for a side that plays one up front we aren't going to get much better than Kamberi or Dykes to accept that role.
Whoever we signed was always a squad player, unless you saw us signing someone to push Morelos out of the side?

Because he doesn't get the better of Goldson every game doesn't mean he hasn't played well against us.

For the record, I'm not saying he's a player we need to be signing, I just won't rule a guy out based on him playing for Livingston.
Correct, and thats why I didn’t mind us signing Kamberi, and he was better than Dykes yesterday in only 30 mins.

Bang on.

Patson Zaka will be that player, who they signed from Africa for nothing but will sell for +£20m.

Luckily we have Ross Wilson in charge now, and I fully trust him with recruitment. Someone who casts his net out far and wide.

As far as Leith? :p

Correct, and thats why I didn’t mind us signing Kamberi, and he was better than Dykes yesterday in only 30 mins.

A Rangers striker playing better than Livingstons in a game at Ibrox?

Seems like a fair comparison.

You quote the above players yet think we should sign Ferguson ffs.

Make your mind up.
I see potential there, if you disagree that's fair enough. Lumping him in with a 24 year old striker that's never hit double figures is unfair though.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch him if he'd cost more than £1.5m

I see potential there, if you disagree that's fair enough. Lumping him in with a 24 year old striker that's never hit double figures is unfair though.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch him if he'd cost more than £1.5m

Hes chronic and is nowhere near good enough living on his Dad and Uncle's name.

Dykes wouldn't cost that.

As I've stated various times hes not our #1 target for a striker but we could do a hell of lot worse. Might of helped us get points against Aberdeen at home or last Wednesday when struggling.

Hes chronic and is nowhere near good enough living on his Dad and Uncle's name.

Dykes wouldn't cost that.

As I've stated various times hes not our #1 target for a striker but we could do a hell of lot worse. Might of helped us get points against Aberdeen at home or last Wednesday when struggling.
I'm just going to use two guys we've been linked with as an example:

When Morelos leaves, Rangers should sign a pairing like Guirassy and Marić. We shouldn't sign one of them and then say "Defoe is second choice, let's get Dykes to sit in the stand"

We will never grow as a club with such unambitious recruitment

He gets lumped together with Cosgrove on here as a bruiser and no more but he actually has very good technique.
It's the Lawrence Shankland is just another Nicky Clark nonsense all over again.

I'm just going to use two guys we've been linked with as an example:

When Morelos leaves, Rangers should sign a pairing like Guirassy and Marić. We shouldn't sign one of them and then say "Defoe is second choice, let's get Dykes to sit in the stand"

We will never grow as a club with such unambitious recruitment

Its clear apart from not getting Vydra we had no one lined up.

Dykes would of been a decent back up option in games we were struggling to break down 11 men behind the ball.

No one saying he was God or the best option but a decent option as hes experienced in this league.

Its clear apart from not getting Vydra we had no one lined up.

Dykes would of been a decent back up option in games we were struggling to break down 11 men behind the ball.

No one saying he was God or the best option but a decent option as hes experienced in this league.
Rangers shouldn't be signing decent back up options for when we're struggling to break down a low block, that is my entire point.

We should be identifying players that will both improve the value and quality of our squad and fit into a system that we want to play.

Say we signed Dykes on a 2 year deal this window just gone, Morelos leaves in the summer and we bring in a quality replacement or two. Dykes now has no chance of getting into the team and we're stuck paying his wages.

Vydra on a loan to buy would have been excellent business, if he replicates his form in the Championship, we have an excellent player ready to compete with our new striker next season and if he doesn't, he can go back to Burnley.

I don’t think we would have seen Morelos put in those performances in his first season with us either.
Players develop and become better when surrounded by more talented peers if they can apply themselves correctly.
If he lasted more than 20 minutes per game for us , his biggest asset would be totally nullified playing for us .

Rangers shouldn't be signing decent back up options for when we're struggling to break down a low block, that is my entire point.

We should be identifying players that will both improve the value and quality of our squad and fit into a system that we want to play.

Say we signed Dykes on a 2 year deal this window just gone, Morelos leaves in the summer and we bring in a quality replacement or two. Dykes now has no chance of getting into the team and we're stuck paying his wages.

Vydra on a loan to buy would have been excellent business, if he replicates his form in the Championship, we have an excellent player ready to compete with our new striker next season and if he doesn't, he can go back to Burnley.

Signing someone on loan for 6 months or so means we're back to square one come the end of that loan in 6 months or so time.

Signing someone on loan for 6 months or so means we're back to square one come the end of that loan in 6 months or so time.
It doesn't though in the case of Hagi and Vydra had it happened, we could have bought them had it worked out and if it didn't we would have continued scouting for long term options.

Anyway, the striker isn't the issue when we struggle against the low block, it's the midfield so the argument for Dykes is flawed to begin with

It's the Lawrence Shankland is just another Nicky Clark nonsense all over again.
Shankland had the perfect opportunity to put himself on Gerrard's radar playing against us for Ayr, he never kicked his own arse, no workrate, no channel running. I'm certain that day is the reason we never took a low risk punt

Anyone who thinks a player like Dykes/Cosgrove would be able to play as they do now but in a Rangers jersey are having a laugh.

Refs would be all over them in a heartbeat.

I feel like since the New Year we have been living in some sort of alternate dimension.

It was the only thing I could come up with when thinking about how we have been performing since then.

Now one of our players comes out and isn't complaining about the many injustices we have suffered with regards to refereeing decisions or where we are going wrong but to say that some no mark throbber of a CF for a diddy team is as good as the best player in the league. A player who scored almost 30 goals in half a season and is the top goalscorer in the Europa League.

Somehow because this chump had a couple of shots against us he is as good as Alfredo Morelos. Maybe if Katic and Goldson had played to the level they could and should be, Dykes would have been shown up for the painfully average player he actually is.

Not only that but a sizeable number on this board agree. I shouldn't be surprised, they were probably the ones saying Barisic was crap this time last year. The ones who slate a player on the match thread and he scores 20 minutes later. All this while there is a huge thread slating Morelos even though he should have two goals and assist in the last games but they were wrongly chopped off.

The hard on people get for these types of players is baffling. See Moult, Main and Cosgrove. It's cringeworthy.

A Rangers striker playing better than Livingstons in a game at Ibrox?

Seems like a fair comparison.
Considering we werent very good, and Dykes is being touted on the basis he was supposedly good yesterday. Its pretty fair

Shankland had the perfect opportunity to put himself on Gerrard's radar playing against us for Ayr, he never kicked his own arse, no workrate, no channel running. I'm certain that day is the reason we never took a low risk punt
Could be mate, I'm not suggesting he could or should have been a target for us, just highlighting the lazy comparison to Clark.

Dykes is the physical type mould player we need against the Scottish dross, has quite a good habit of big goals and doesn't attract much attention from the refs

That all changed when you pull on the blue top but. Just have to look at Jack's first season or to Morelos who never attracted much attention from refs until he came to us.

If I was targetting how to stop 10, I would be looking to take as many points against them as possible. One of their best assets is the french guy at the back. However, despite his size, he seems to struggle against players with physical strength and skill. I look forward to seeing dykes against him.

He was almost greeting last time they played them away.

Considering we werent very good, and Dykes is being touted on the basis he was supposedly good yesterday. Its pretty fair
And yet in every attacking statistic we were far superior to Livingston?
More possession, chances created, corners, attempts at goal and shots on target.
None of those stats were even close, so it's absolutely not a valid comparison.

It's no different to visiting goalkeepers having a better game than McGregor.
They're not better keepers, they are just involved way more.

And yet in every attacking statistic we were far superior to Livingston?
More possession, chances created, corners, attempts at goal and shots on target.
None of those stats were even close, so it's absolutely not a valid comparison.

It's no different to visiting goalkeepers having a better game than McGregor.
They're not better keepers, they are just involved way more.
I really can’t be arsed going through the actual stats for the 90 minute period Dykes was on the pitch and the 30 minute period Kamberi was on the pitch. Their actual involvement in the game. Rather than stats off the BBC or whatever you’re looking at.

Are you saying you’d have Dykes over Kamberi?

Thought the boy was very decent yesterday seemed to have improved since before Xmas. Would cost more than Kamberi and I don’t think he is as good a footballer.
Kamberi might surprise us if he is given the chance and is less likely to be sent off because of his style, Dykes would have a target on his back playing for Rangers.

I really can’t be arsed going through the actual stats for the 90 minute period Dykes was on the pitch and the 30 minute period Kamberi was on the pitch. Their actual involvement in the game. Rather than stats off the BBC or whatever you’re looking at.

Are you saying you’d have Dykes over Kamberi?
Again, you're wanting to dismiss the fact that at Ibrox against Livingston we'd be the team doing all the attacking, so naturally our players have the better stats and much more involvement in the game.

At no point in this thread have I said we should sign him, or that I'd have him over Kamberi.

It was pretty well documented that we were looking at him if Kamberi never happened.
How does that tally with your complete trust in Ross Wilson and his recruitment?

Kamberi was close to a 2 million move to Basel last summer and has just broken through with Albania.

He's on another level to Dykes.

Then why does he play for Livingston? Is it just Bad luck coupled with poor career choices or might it just be the guy is an extremely limited footballer who is simply capable of putting himself about a bit.

Same could be asked why Glenn Kamara was playing for Dundee.

People on here complain about lack of options and no plan B. Dykes would certainly give us a different option.

Kamberi is the better player imho so I can understand if it was a choice between the two of them but he has played well against us this season albeit getting sent off in one of the games if I remember correctly

I said in Jan window that I would love us to sign Dykes , He is that different option we require... our 2 false number 10s could feed off a big strong player like that , He is also capable and was unluckily when he smacked post yesterday.

Back