Footballers you have met: nice or rude

UpperCanadianLoyal

I'm wondering if the folks on FF have any stories of footballers they have met who have either been nicer than expected, or more of a Berkshire Hunt than they expected.

I will go first. I haven't met any footballers that I thought were especially Berkshire-Hunty. I have met two footballers who were much nicer than I expected.

The first was Stuart Pierce at a concert of the music of Vaughn Williams. Very nice chap who chatted to me for twenty minutes or so. The second was Bilel Moshni. While he wasn't a great player for us, I met him in Ottawa and he was very friendly.

I met Ian Wright once when Arsenal were training at Troon, got his autograph and he spent quite a bit of his time with us youngsters answering questions. I was very impressed by his good nature. The same couldnt be said about Bergkamp who wouldnt sign any autographs.

Ive met a few of the Gers over the years. Ian Ferguson always stood out in my memory as the nicest one.

Also met Paulo Di Canio at Royal Troon when I worked there. Didnt seem quite as much of a nutjob in person.

I havnt really met any players as an adult, things might be different compared to being a kid!

Davie Cooper at the old Albion when I was a boy. My dad asked him for a photo and he came across and gave me and my brother a boot each to hold for a picture. He couldn’t have been nicer.
I asked him to score in the game coming up and he did. A real legend of Rangers.

I met Bojan Mamic on a flight in Thailand with a Thai team. I didn't realise until after the flight that he played for Kaunas when they beat us. Maybe I wouldn't have been so nice

Travelling to Holland for work with a mentally challenged workmate on Air France which we had to transfer at Birmingham, got on the flight and sat down , only about a dozen on the plane and that twat Stephan Mahe got on and sat at the front row, 5 minutes later Regi Blinker got on, totally snubbed Mahe despite being teammates and off we flew, Regi sat in the row in front of us and I asked for his autograph for another mentally challenged in work who hated Blinker which he did , very civil and bought us bevvy on the flight and when we all transferred from the Air France at Birmingham again he snubbed Mahe, we asked him on the flight to Holland why they weren’t talking and Blinker said word for word ‘I can’t stand that hook nosed pompous arrogant french fu(ker’ which we both had a laugh at.

Met Richard Gough at the charity dinner in the raddisson blu after the legends game v Man U a few years ago. He was was really rude.
I had bought the top that was released for the game and planned on trying to get everyone that played to sign it and framing it. Gough refused saying I was planning on selling it on ebay! I’ve still got the top never got it framed though.
Sickening when you meet a hero and they turn out to be like that. He was maybe just having a bad day

Just mentioned on another thread that I met Shota Arveladze and Pieter Huistra a couple of weeks ago. You're always worried that, if you go up and say hello, you will be considered a pest but I've got to say Shota and Pieter could not have been any more accommodating. Spent 30 minutes chatting to them and, if it hadn't been for the fact the wife was with me, I probably could, and would, have spent a couple of hours with them talking about their time with Rangers and football in general. Two perfect gentlemen.

Met loads. Older generation Gers players total gents. Chaps like Hubbard, Simpson, Brown, Davus, Brand, Millar, Richie, Grieig, Provan etc could not have been nicer.

Many of the 9 in a row team pretty sound too.

I didn't like Artera much when I met him.

As for non Rangers, Aguero, Forlsn, Reyes, Papin, Massaro and Baresi were all pleasant.

Met quite a few

Numan. Brilliant guy
Wattereus. A bit odd
Gough. Polite and friendly
Basile Boli. Loved his hole
Charlie Adam. Hmmm
Peter Huistra. Brand new
Dado. Cracking big guy
Michael Ball. Brilliant guy, humble
Super Ally. Super guy

I met Richard Gough just before xmas in the Rogano and he was an absolute gentleman, chatted to me for a good 10 minutes about the Gers

Walter Smith -absolute gentleman.
Dave McPherson - polite and pleasant to chat to.
Colin Stein - lovely guy.
Bob Malcolm - how can I put this - not the sharpest tool in the box.

Boxing Day was at hospitality. Ran after Alfie who was on his way out of the stadium. Asked for a picture with my boy (19) and was very happy to oblige. Same scenario with Aribo but totally opposite reaction, blanked us and hastily walked right past us.

Have met Craig Thomson (ref) a few times through work and a very nice guy

Met Numan a couple of years ago in Club 29 . He was a top man and was him that suggested a selfie with him .
Have met Jamie Redknapp a few times ,again a good guy. Loves to talk about golf more than football.

Waited with my boys after a game for the team to come out to get autographs and pictures many years ago . All did it no bother though some couldn't manage to crack s smile .,

Met Tavernier in my work, rude and not very pleasant.
Barisic and Grezda also came in together in a different day. Had a great chat Barisic who was open about struggling initially, Grezda said nothing. Got pic with both

I’ve met a few but also worked in a few footballers houses

Harris Vukic was friendly enough. He had a bird walking about in his house that had a Rangers strip on from before his time which I found a bit weird.

Patrick Roberts was decent for one of them. Tipped me £50 after I ripped him about his miss in the semi final against us and got a bit of banter back and forward

Andy little is a good guy and I do a bit of work for him now. Came down and helped out and the kids football training one night when I was coaching and it gave the boys a boost to see someone that actually played the game help them out.

Jim Forrest is a cracking guy. Him and his mrs were always chatting away and making you tea and things to eat. I didn’t know who he was when I first worked in his house then my tradesmen told me so I was quizzing jim for ages and he was happy to sit and tell me stories of his time at Ibrox, much to the annoyance of my mentally challenged tradesman lol

Jason Cummings before he was at Ibrox and lived in a top floor flat near Easter Road. Place was manky and he was an arrogant prick.

Not a footballer but also worked in Dominic keane’s house. What a pad this was and we were taking out a kitchen that was worth a right few quid and didn’t have a mark on it to replace it with something similar. Dismantled the kitchen carefully and sold it on lol. Wasn’t the friendliest of people and thought he was better than anyone

Probably gonna get a ton of abuse for this but here we go. On a works night years ago we were in a bar in Renfield st & sat on the next table to us was Hartson & a couple of his mates. Ended up chatting to him at the bar for quite a while & i’m not gonna lie he was very friendly & after a long chat I came away thinking he’s nice lad. Couldn’t believe how open he was when I quizzed him about why he didn’t sign for us. To say he was gutted was an understatement ! Such a shame what he’s morphed into & if I met him again i’d walk straight past him.

Met Numan, Ally, Durrant and Big Marvin. The latter was an amazing big guy. Ally was his usual self and the others were pleasant but quiet. Also met Davie Cooper who was a nice quiet man like Durrant was.

Used to live in Germany when we used to go for pre-season. Lived in a small village that was near a well known sports hotel. Went down and seeing the rangers players flying about on bikes and spoke to walter smith etc outside a café. Found novo getting his haircut and he said wait til hes done and he took me to the shop next door when he was getting cash and bought me sweets. Went to watch them training one day and mccoist got speaking to my dad and got us tickets for one of the games. We also played a team that their stadium wouldn't look out of place in a school, paid 40 and got to stand in the tunnel when the players went out and met them all in the bar area after. Darcheville necked my dads pint then winked and left..

I used to hang about Ibrox after the games when I was younger as my bus never came untill 6, so this gave me the chance to meet plenty of players. Barry Ferguson who was captain at the time was rude as %^*& and would keep walking while signing autographs. He stepped on a kids toe and instead of saying sorry wee man, he said watch yourself wee man :oops:. Then you had players like Novo, Prso, Darcheville who would spend a lot of time with fans.

Met Richard Gough at the charity dinner in the raddisson blu after the legends game v Man U a few years ago. He was was really rude.
I had bought the top that was released for the game and planned on trying to get everyone that played to sign it and framing it. Gough refused saying I was planning on selling it on ebay! I’ve still got the top never got it framed though.
Sickening when you meet a hero and they turn out to be like that. He was maybe just having a bad day
Haha funnily enough I was at that and he was miserable as hell when I asked for a photo in the lobby. Your fault!

used to work in a bar as a 16 year old as a glass collector on Hope Street in the city centre which was well liked by some footballers met Barry Ferguson, Scott Wilson, Michael Mols, Berkovic, Sutton was in once for a meal with his wife but 2 incidents stand out.

The first was Berkovic who demanded an orange when the food menu was finished for the day and then proceeded to demand it be cut up and served on a plate i thought what an arse.

The other concerns oor Barry.

He was sitting in a booth loads of people round him and I went to clear his table. I picked up what I though was an empty glass from his table only to catch me by surprise that it was full and due to not having a full grip on the glass, it slipped out ma grasp and went all over the table and ran off the edge all over Barry and he was raging. Thought he was gonna kill me.

Friendliest I’ve met:
Bert Konterman (chatted for ages)
Mr Souness (very polite and happy to chat)
Ally McCoist
Marvin Andrews
Alex Rae
Dougie Bell
Derek Johnstone
Mark Hateley

Least friendly:
Richard Gough (see Radisson poster above)

Walter Smith and Steven Gerrard - not unfriendly but definitely intimidating.

John Brown. Bought a Ibrox picture from him a few years back when he was between jobs. Delivered it to my house and he was in a hurry but still did the photos etc.
Top guy

Met Brian Laudrup and couldn't have been any nicer. Plenty of time for fans. Also met Larsson at Glasgow airport. Had some banter with him, but to be fair he was sound.

Sasa Papac - absolute gentleman.

Charlie Adam - rude
I've met a fair few players and they are all pleasant enough for a photo, autograph, or a handshake. Some are clearly more comfortable than others with it, which you would totally expect.

However, Charlie Adam was a downright ignorant prick the couple of times I met him.

I used to hang about Ibrox after the games when I was younger as my bus never came untill 6, so this gave me the chance to meet plenty of players. Barry Ferguson who was captain at the time was rude as %^*& and would keep walking while signing autographs. He stepped on a kids toe and instead of saying sorry wee man, he said watch yourself wee man :oops:. Then you had players like Novo, Prso, Darcheville who would spend a lot of time with fans.
My dad doesn't want to meet barry because if he was rude it would break his heart. Me personally i dont care hes my hero and i would still get all wide eyed if i met him, met the scotland squad as marhall

mcculloch
mackie
iwelumo
fletcher
naismith
few other gers players but cant remember who
all great guys got photos and signed my book (well the rangers players)
gary caldwell or mcmanus went for a fag round the back to avoid fans

mccoist is a top man, made a joke once to him and he was rapid with the comeback
keith lasley is nice enough but hes just a normal guy in the town
david van zanten was a really genuine bloke and met him a couple of times as him and keith used to stay in erskine. Was playing football at the pitch beside the school davids kids went to and i took a shot into my mate and he mucked the save up and ended up winded and crying, david came over and made sure he was alright and talked to us for a bit, i genuinely think if he didn't have his kids with him he would of had a kick about . Also he presented me with a trophy after a game once and complimented my performance

also met craig moore who was a complete gentleman and told me stories about my hero (Barry)

I'm wondering if the folks on FF have any stories of footballers they have met who have either been nicer than expected, or more of a Berkshire Hunt than they expected.

I will go first. I haven't met any footballers that I thought were especially Berkshire-Hunty. I have met two footballers who were much nicer than I expected.

The first was Stuart Pierce at a concert of the music of Vaughn Williams. Very nice chap who chatted to me for twenty minutes or so. The second was Bilel Moshni. While he wasn't a great player for us, I met him in Ottawa and he was very friendly.
Met a few Rangers players,
By far the nicest was Kyle Lafferty, stopped and talked for quite a bit. Closely followed by Bilel Mohsni.

Met Stevie Smith in the Tunnel once probably one of the nicest ones Iv spoken to.

Met Richard Gough in the stand at the 18th at St Andrews during the Dunhill and he sat and spoke away to my cousin and I for a while.

Not met but Arthur Numan helped a Muslim woman with a pram off the bus we were on in the town as he was walking past, it was weird because she never even thanked him.

Back