Could an Old Firm women's match fill Ibrox or Celtic Park?

If the tickets are free, perhaps. As a novelty factor, and it's Rangers v Celtic, people might be interested. Not on a consistent basis nor for paid tickets, I would have thought.

Couldn't see it happening

Would do well to reach a 5 figure crowd

But it that depends on marketing of it maybe if free tickets were provided

Perhaps Firhill or Broadwood if the tickets were priced at a fiver.

After having to watch the women’s WC last year it would be of no interest to me though.

I do understand why we are pushing hard to be at the forefront of the womens’ game.

Honestly don't know anyone who watches, or has the remotest interest in women's football.

A couple of thousand crowd at the very max, I'd say.

I don't think it would sell out...

But if it was a hypothetical situation where the usual 50,000 was there with the usual expectations and usual Old Firm songs/atmosphere, do we really think the women would be able to handle the pressure or expectation? It would be nothing like they've ever experienced before, I would imagine.

Note: I ask about "the women" handling the pressure because that's the subject. I would be asking the same if we put our under 15 boys in front of a hostile 50,000. Not being sexist :)

If marketed properly it might. For instance a double header like the old pre season tournaments. Rangers v Celtic ladies followed by a glamour friendly Rangers v Liverpool or similar. Priced sensibly of course.

Don't think I would go if it was a the nearest stadium to me which is about 2 miles away.
The only reason there were big crowds in England a few months ago, Chelsea and Manchester City I believe, was because it was free entry and had decent marketing from Team England.

In my opinion, it could - yes. It's a different market to those who attend Ibrox every second weekend, and in a 50/50 split they would sell 50k. However, the split won't be 50/50 so i'd imagine about 25-30k at very peak just now.

The BBC have started throwing the odd womens article on the main sports page with no indication it's not men's, we will no doubt be told soon that it's so popular as they get lots of hits from people like me who haven't a clue. Thus they will want more coverage for it.

'Chelsea to sign top Striker' - click the link and it's some bird :rolleyes:

I'd probably go, maybe attractive for families. Would be nowhere near a sell out though, it's a struggle for most clubs to sell out first team games, never mind woman's football which is only starting to get decent exposure in this country.

I’d imagine they’d need to give out tickets to schools etc and really drum it up , on a summers day to even achieve 5000 .

I know it’s not PC to say it but women’s football , regardless of how hard it’s currently being pushed , is never going to attract anywhere near the interest that men’s does . It’s just not the same . Even women I know agree !

I would go but mainly because I am in Mosspark so only a short 10-15 min walk to the stadium.

Simple answer is no it wouldnt sell out Ibrox , womans football is shite , im all for woman given the chance to play professional football but they need to try and stop competing with the mens game as it will never happen

At this moment I would say no, but thanks to miss O’Neill etc, the interest has spiked somewhat. The way women’s football is going though, I would say in 4-5 years time you probably could fill Ibrox. Rangers ladies are starting to build an impressive outfit.
the new lassie girasoli, I grew up next to her mum and her family, carlys been playing football since she could crawl never mind walk. Obsessed with the game, that can only be a good thing surely to have someone so committed to the game

Getting pissed off with the amount of Females taking over. The women’s game is still laughable, with their make up on to play a game of Football? Until women get decent Goalkeepers it will be poor and over hyped, in short No.

Probably not right now but, in a decade or so, who knows?

Right now it kind of feels like a product that doesn't really have a market.

Can anyone here really imagine themselves celebrating a Rangers women's last minute goal to be Champions of Europe even to the level that you might celebrate a last minute winner against Aberdeen in a standard league match?

Even women who watch Rangers would probably have more interest in the men's team so I am not sure where they are going to get an audience from.

Latest posts

Back