Stevie G going full Walter Smith

The 3 celebrations were all fantastic. Hagi's first, a cool calm response, because we still had work to do.
Aribo's, jumping into the arms of his coaches, since we'd made it back.
Hagi's 2nd, full Walter Smith when Bo Anderson scored, down the touchline along the Enclosure. Absolutely brilliant celebration.

going by his press conference after the game, it looked to be a wee dig back at the fans behind him to be fair

going by his press conference after the game, it looked to be a wee dig back at the fans behind him to be fair
Justified too, the criticism he's received is disgusting, a sizeable chunk of the support forget how far Gerrard has improved us in the space of 18 months. From a bush in Luxembourg to a credible chance of reaching the last 16 of a European competition. Yes the past few weeks have been gut wrenching but we've had imbeciles comparing him to Warburton ffs. No wonder he's taking pot shots back at them.

The 3 celebrations were all fantastic. Hagi's first, a cool calm response, because we still had work to do.
Aribo's, jumping into the arms of his coaches, since we'd made it back.
Hagi's 2nd, full Walter Smith when Bo Anderson scored, down the touchline along the Enclosure. Absolutely brilliant celebration.
just had a flashback to that fvckin brilliant
thanks

Did he say that?

Yes it’s on the post match interview on rtv in front of the press .

He’s asked about the crowd and he said it can be magnificent however he then goes onto say we heard the moans behind the dugouts , we saw them leave at 2/0 , was it too cold or the traffic etc . He doesn’t miss !

Dont get me wrong he’s clever with it in terms of it’s always sandwiched in with a bit of praise , but clearly he feels we have a fair proportion of moany bastards who don’t back the team when the going gets tough - he keeps on mentioning it .

Im surprised more hasn’t been made of what he said .

He slams the fans behind the dugout and said “ maybe they left at 2 nil because of the weather , or the drive home , I don’t know , but we heard them “ .
Pretty shite to say that about the fans that pay there money.

Im surprised more hasn’t been made of what he said .

He slams the fans behind the dugout and said “ maybe they left at 2 nil because of the weather , or the drive home , I don’t know , but we heard them “ .

I think our manager knows he has the backing of 99% of us , the ones that don't soon will....

Not really he was asked a leading question “ how good is Ibrox on a night like this and the fans are like an extra man “ so he gave an honest answer as usual , he said yes it can be magnificent BUT he also makes sure he doesn’t sugar coat it too much . At 2/0 they must have been getting some abuse from behind the dugout for him to specifically mention it .

He's not taking pot shots back. He doesnt read follow follow I'm guessing. It's understandable that some are pissed off with 2020, they are entitled to their opinions and to miss the best part of the game if they want because they are adults.
Correct I bet he never received any criticism when playing for Liverpool in Istanbul in 2005 CL final when he was walking off at half time

He’s asked about the crowd and he said it can be magnificent however he then goes onto say we heard the moans behind the dugouts , we saw them leave at 2/0 , was it too cold or the traffic etc . He doesn’t miss !

Dont get me wrong he’s clever with it in terms of it’s always sandwiched in with a bit of praise , but clearly he feels we have a fair proportion of moany bastards who don’t back the team when the going gets tough - he keeps on mentioning it .
Nothing wrong in what he said imo

He’s entitled to his opinion, likewise the paying supporters.

I wish he would speak out about the referees more though, I’m sure given the stage the supporters would.

Why doesn’t the fans get behind the team and Manager ffs no matter what and let’s support them the job SG has done in a short space of time is remarkable.

The fans have backed Gerrard and the team in spades. Last night was fantastic. A real chance of the last 16.

Not immune to criticism though. League form from January has been abysmal. The team and Gerrard deserve every bit of criticism for that. Just as they deserve all the praise for last night.

He’s correct though and some fans at Ibrox are fickle as fcuk criticising every bad pass shot getting on players backs time to get behind them no matter what.

He's right. There's a fair chunk of arseholes in our support to be fair. It pains me that I will have to celebrate success with them in the not too distant future. These people don't deserve a winning team to support.

They will end up driving Gerrard out.

Don’t think so.
Some people are never happy.
Anyone abusing the manager needs their head examined.
Lots to be frustrated about since new year but take a moment to reflect on what has been achieved since the manager has came in.
We want success instantly and know the reasons why but remember SG is Only in the door and learning on the job.

What do they pay "there" money for? To support the team or get on the backs of players and coaching staff? It's when the going gets tough that we need to stick together, not throw the toys out of the pram. The vast majority, thankfully, managed to get behind the team last night (probably had enough intelligence to see we were up against a very good side, but were still making a go of it), rather than thinking we have a divine right to steamroller teams. No problem with Gerrard calling out the clowns who left early.

He’s correct though and some fans at Ibrox are fickle as fcuk criticising every bad pass shot getting on players backs time to get behind them no matter what.

My Uncle who is 79 sits behind the dugout has done for 30 seasons now same seat and said last night wasn’t unusual there’s one guy who literally shouts “ Kamara you’re a fucking arsehole “ every single game , he’s too old to get involved but a few have told him to shut up and sit down to no avail . We all know these type of “ fans “ and it isn’t just Rangers who have them .

I just don't get the criticism he's had for apparently not being "passionate enough" on the touchline when things aren't going particularly well for us.
For what it's worth I want a manager with a cool analytical head when we're under pressure and not kicking water bottles about but when we do something fantastic there's no denying Gerrards passion.
A bit like Walter Smith indeed!
He'll do for me!

I was hoping this thread would allude to shutting up shop next week and coming away with a 0-0 with minimum fuss, minimum possession, minimum territory but a place in the last 16

There is some in our support who will never be pleased. After everything we have endured and the sickening lows we have suffered I dont understand it.

We have came from playing in the lower leagues of Scottish Football and having to suffer footballers who should never have been allowed near the club and would never have made it near the club if circumstances didnt dictate.

Some people need to start appreciating Steven Gerrard and what he is trying to do. The last month or so has been disappointing but we are still moving in the right direction I believe.

In Gerrard we have a man who will not give up untill he has achieved what he has set out to do, and even then he still wont stop trying to better this team.

FF is full of people rightly calling out Ibrox for being toxic at times every week but the second our manager hints at it people get upset?

Maybe people should just stop acting like arseholes at the games?

Am I right in saying the team got booed off the park at half time?
There were indeed a few arseholes who booed the team off.
And just for the record I don't hold with the principle of "they paid their money so they're entitled to their opinion" shit....surely we're all there to SUPPORT our team, particularly when we're only narrowly behind?
I've been supporting Rangers for well over 50 years and I've never booed the team off the pitch in my life...I've moaned like fcuk about them after the game on numerous occasions on the bus, in the pub or even on here but that's allowed eh?
;)

Back