What is the answer?

Prso09

Is this just poor form? Too many players off form? Poor management? We have improved alot since last season and on our day we can beat anyone but to me it seems like we need at least 4 or 5 quality players next season

Problem is, I don't know if we can even agree on the question. Some people think it's the manager, others it's the players, some say its mentality and others say its tactics or the referees.

I think we're fundamentally a good side, but I'm not sure I can be certain what we're lacking to take us where we need to be

there is no excuse for failing to beat, St J, Killie, Aberdeen, Hearts, no excuse for that
Overall we need several better quality players and an experienced manager.
That will take a lot of money and unlikely success will be instant

Two up front. It really is that simple. I’m not sure if Gerrard realises it, but we don’t need to show any team in the league respect, apart from the tramps. We have the personnel to do exactly what the mentally challengeds are doing to teams. One up from is stifling us, especially with a totally useless Morelos up front on his own at present.

Don’t play the same players and formation and hope for things to change.

This one is on the management unfortunately, and game after game it gets more and more tiresome.

Following a setback I usually want the next game to come along to make it right.

Now I don’t want the next game to come, because I don’t expect to see any changes.

It is beyond painful because we know what this team and this staff is capable of. They have got us so close and are now throwing it away in spectacular fashion.

This is the biggest challenge Gerrard has faced in his management career how to change our fortunes and he won't change formation to suit the players.

The answer is more/better quality players, but that ain’t going to happen because that costs money.

Unless we get some heavy investment from somewhere we will for the foreseeable be in the shadow of the yahoos.

The answer is more/better quality players, but that ain’t going to happen because that costs money.

Unless we get some heavy investment from somewhere we will for the foreseeable be in the shadow of the yahoos.

Our squad is more than good enough in quality and numbers to beat garbage like St Johnstone and Hearts.

The manager isn’t using the players he has at his disposal properly.

Short term try 2 up and just outscore teams as we can't rely on that shit at the back now after today.

We never look safe with fine goal margins just now

We are the second best team in Scotland by a long way and that's how it will remain until we bring in about 6 decent players. If guys like Helader are the answer them I,m a Dutchman. Regards. Root Vanederberg.

One of the main things is the lack of urgency. It does my head in so much when a player has space to turn and run but its played back to the defence. Be direct play fast pass and move football, dont allow teams to regroup against us with slow build up play

I've said it so many times but we need to set up to be more aggressive in the final 3rd and score goals. We honestly need a target man (even Kamberi) and have a striker playing off them. Tippy tappy football will drop you points at these grounds

Two up front. It really is that simple. I’m not sure if Gerrard realises it, but we don’t need to show any team in the league respect, apart from the tramps. We have the personnel to do exactly what the mentally challengeds are doing to teams. One up from is stifling us, especially with a totally useless Morelos up front on his own at present.

Yep I agree.

We were alright with 2 up today and changed it and went shit again

Mixture of:

Every game has been a slog.
Bad mistakes from individual players.
Bad luck with refereeing decisions and break of balls.

It just seems absolutely crazy to me that we set up the exact same way regardless of whether we are away at the cesspit or at home to Livingston.

I think getting rid of the 4-3-3 against teams that park the bus would be a good start. If Gerrard's not prepared to change his formation when it's obviously not working, he's never going to be a successful manager.

Doesnt matter what formation we play when players individual errors are costing us. We are dropping points because of moments of absolute madness that no formation or tactical change could legislate for. Yes, we should set up differently to try and control games better, but it matters not a jot when centre halves play like that today, or Kamara did at Tynecastle or when Alfie looks like he's never kicked a football at goal before. We had over 20 shots at goal today, the fact we only scored from two of those is pathetic.

The league is over.
I'd seriously try to bleed 2 or 3 youths into the team.
Will it happen under Gerrard, sadly not.

Persevering with the same formation is killing us. Teams no how defend against it now. We changed it today and looked great....we go ahead and for some reason Gerrard reverts back to it and it goes tits up.

We ain't closing down or hunting in packs the way we were before the shutdown, players in midfield seem to be now happy to play pedestrian tippy tappy balls and no one bursting a gut to get into the box apart from Arfield

In my opinion things have been wrong since the day the old traditions of rangers in years gone by got scrapped. Players are pampered far to much. Bring back the suits and a bit of discipline, get rid of the tracksuits, players swanning around with earphones in, and all the other sh*t that comes with the modern day footballer. Seen a few people joke that our center half's might have been up watching the fight last night. It literally wouldn't even surprise me if half the team were.

Correct. No other team except tramps requires more than 3 at the back. We can get off with Aribo at right back as they all sit in.

We're lacking hunger to wim every ball. Don't know what causes that. Maybe that's because we have more "artists" in our team and not fighters. Artists need to be reminded all the time to start working (deadlines for example), fighters just keep on fighting no matter what. That's what makes them winners.

Our game is in the right end for the most of the time I think, but opponent wins 80 percent of loose balls in both boxes, and that's the reason we're not dangerous enough attacking-wise and losing stupid goals every game.

We're crying out for a manager that is a tactician, settle the players with his experience & be prepared to win ugly.

I have no doubt that the players have ability but it looks like there is no real structure to fall back on when the pressure is on.

Stop trying to ‘see games out’.

Our attitude should be to go for the fucking throat from the first whistle to the last.

We are too constrained, weak minded and fucking soft.

Our lack of character and mentality is fucking frightening.

Last edited:
We are making chances but because Alfie is out of sorts we are not putting enough of them away. Also, Helander's absence has not helped our defensive capabilities. It is extremely frustrating as I think we are far better than the league results since the new year suggests.

There was a point in the first half where we had 25 touches between Jack, Halliday, Katic and Goldson., we advanced about two yards overall and there was one St Johnstone player doing the running between these 4 players. The fact that I counted this tells you that this happened time and time again.

We are SO slow that the opposition just ignore us and get back behind the ball. We don't play with any pace or intensity anymore. With 2 minutes to go of injury time we still didn't seem to be in any sort of a hurry.

In my opinion things have been wrong since the day the old traditions of rangers in years gone by got scrapped. Players are pampered far to much. Bring back the suits and a bit of discipline, get rid of the tracksuits, players swanning around with earphones in, and all the other sh*t that comes with the modern day footballer. Seen a few people joke that our center half's might have been up watching the fight last night. It literally wouldn't even surprise me if half the team were.

Not often I read things on here that I totally agree with but I categorically agree with the statement regarding tracksuits versus suits.

Even if we were 20 points clear I would agree with this! (Sadly we aren’t)

Change the system and drop the players who are out of form.

That’s the bit that annoys me the most tbh, the answers are staring us in the face but the manner refuses to change things for the better.

What's improved domestically. Reaching a cup final that we lost?

We started the season poorly but managed to grind out results - there were still concerns during these performances but people with the concerns were told to shut up. There were some really good performances and there were some shockers. Any time we had an opportunity, we shat the bed.

I don't know the difference in points this time last season compared to now and I don't care. We are 12 points behind, trophlyless and the same questions, issues and concerns as last season creep up on a weekly basis.

We are miles off the bheggars. Kidding yourself that we aren't doesn't make the situation any better.

Costly individual errors, at both ends of the park.

A softness to our midfield.

Key creative players horribly out of form.

A refusal/inability to drop said out of form players due to lack of quality alternatives.

A reluctance to try an alternative style or shape (granted we did finally go two up top today but it's long overdue).

He can start by dropping players that needs dropped,and stop playing his favourites,regardless how bad they have been.
Edmondson deserves his chance,Katic dropped.
Kent benched.Aribo played in an advanced position.Morelos benched,hes not scoring,in fact when I see him one on one with the keeper,I have no confidence he will score....his one on ones in the last 10 days proves this
Stewart and Kamberi given a chance from start.

2 centre backs who are a bag of nerves and pretty useless at dealing with high balls and players running at them. Change is required in this position for a start. 3 away games against pretty poor opposition and 2 goals lost in each game says it all.Goldson makes me nervous with the ball at his feet. Edmunson must be due a chance.

Stop trying to ‘see games out’.

Our attitude should be to go for the fucking throat from the first whistle to the last.

We are too constrained, weak minded and fucking soft.

Our character and mentality is fucking frightening.
The differwnce between them
And us...

They go for the jugular, and ultimately will have won 12 trophies on the bounce as a result of that mentality.

We ain't closing down or hunting in packs the way we were before the shutdown, players in midfield seem to be now happy to play pedestrian tippy tappy balls and no one bursting a gut to get into the box apart from Arfield
This 100% what has, happened our pressing game? Can't allow for mistakes like Katic both
What we really lack is a leader on the park and with exception of Shagger we don't have any. Once the opposition score everyone head down no reaction..

After we made it back to 1-2 I thought we would make it. Just couldn't believe another error lost us another 2 points. Wish we had another Carlos patrolling our defence. Also Alfie dropping form didn't help today. Gerrard did change things and 2 goals were the result. Individual errors are becoming too frequent...especially in defence.

4-4-2 or 3-5-2

This for me, a change in formation domestically has to be the answer. If you’ve got 2 up front they’re occupying the defences and giving them more to think about, at the moment we’re only giving them Morelos to worry about and when he’s off form it makes their job easier.

We could see with both Kamberi and Morelos on just how much that unsettled the St Johnstone defence today. So for me the answer is to play these two up front. What’s behind that? My gut tells me two banks of four would work well for us.

Latest posts

Back