Greg Docherty - Edinburgh news snippet

Gio#56

Once again the on loan Rangers midfielder played a starring role for Hibs in their 1-1 draw with Livingston at Easter Road. His influence is that of Stephane Omeonga this time last year. He tested Robby McCrorie early on after a fine driving run, nearly laid on a goal with a fantastic cross-pass and then set up Christian Doidge for the opening goal.

The 23-year-old truly has added another dimension to the Hibs team. He is so effective at taking the ball from A to B with his surging runs, while he is the type of passer fans in Scotland enjoy. His first thought is always ‘can I play forward’. Docherty is making Hibs a fearsome opponent on the counter-attack.

I have placed the bit in bold I find interesting. Was also something that cropped up on Shropshire news.

If we sell for under 1m I expect to see this lad go for multiples of this in the future.

Dont know why SG does not rate.

Once again the on loan Rangers midfielder played a starring role for Hibs in their 1-1 draw with Livingston at Easter Road. His influence is that of Stephane Omeonga this time last year. He tested Robby McCrorie early on after a fine driving run, nearly laid on a goal with a fantastic cross-pass and then set up Christian Doidge for the opening goal.

The 23-year-old truly has added another dimension to the Hibs team. He is so effective at taking the ball from A to B with his surging runs, while he is the type of passer fans in Scotland enjoy. His first thought is always ‘can I play forward’. Docherty is making Hibs a fearsome opponent on the counter-attack.

I have placed the bit in bold I find interesting. Was also something that cropped up on Shropshire news.

If we sell for under 1m I expect to see this lad go for multiples of this in the future.

Will be a swap for Kamberi.

He needs to be involved next year. We talk about leaders on the park and knowing the weight of the jesrsey. He is shining against clubs who we are struggling against.

hope not. We need Greg 100% and Kamberi if he continues his form.

Gregs attitude and desire is what is needed in the SPFL, Always gives all.

Then why wasn't he off the bench at the very least the odd time before going out on loan?

We even had an injury or 2 first half of the season and he still wasn't considered. I like the player, but to suggest he has a hope in hell of ever featuring under the current management team is fantasy.

Unless there is a change of manager in the summer, Docherty is done with us imo.

Then why wasn't he off the bench at the very least the odd time before going out on loan?

We even had an injury or 2 first half of the season and he still wasn't considered. I like the player, but to suggest he has a hope in hell of ever featuring under the current management team is fantasy.

Unless there is a change of manager in the summer, Docherty is done with us imo.

sadly i think your right. I just hope our manager is not as stubborn has his tactics have shown.

Every time Docherty played this season, regardless of how long he was given. He was poor, below average each time. There’s a different type of pressure to be playing for rangers than there is for Hibs. He’s probably playing better because he feels less pressure. That’s not the ‘mentality’ everyone keeps referring to, that makes it to be a rangers player.

sadly i think your right. I just hope our manager is not as stubborn has his tactics have shown.

I think he is a highly capable player, at least in the league against lower opposition. His lack of game-time first half of the season should tell everyone everything they need to know about where he stands with the manager.

Not saying that as a dig of the gaffer or anything, it's his choice, but for a guy who statistically was one of the best midfielders in the league at Hamilton to not even be trusted to deputise or come on as a sub for Arfield or the like? Clearly not rated.

Every time Docherty played this season, regardless of how long he was given. He was poor, below average each time. There’s a different type of pressure to be playing for rangers than there is for Hibs. He’s probably playing better because he feels less pressure. That’s not the ‘mentality’ everyone keeps referring to, that makes it to be a rangers player.

How many premiership games has he played for Rangers this season even as a sub?

Hopefully he keeps it up, comes back confident for pre season. Certainly seems to be doing well for Hibs

He came back confident *this* season and virtually couldn't buy his way into the team.

Why do you think next summer will be any different? The manager obviously doesn't want him. Not sure what else SG needs to do on Docherty to evidence that yet folk are harping on about a change in fortunes if he 'does well at Hibs'.....he did well at a team probably as good as Hibs last season and it meant zero.

He came back confident *this* season and virtually couldn't buy his way into the team.

Why do you think next summer will be any different? The manager obviously doesn't want him. Not sure what else SG needs to do on Docherty to evidence that yet folk are harping on about a change in fortunes if he 'does well at Hibs'.....he did well at a team probably as good as Hibs last season and it meant zero.
For one, the manager may not be here.....

This is his second loan spell, showing he's more than capable in this league. Looks like it could be another massive rebuild, no reason Doc can't continue to well and come back and impress the gaffer, whoever it may be.

Same with Murphy, all they can do is perform the way they are and see what happens

For one, the manager may not be here.....

This is his second loan spell, showing he's more than capable in this league. Looks like it could be another massive rebuild, no reason Doc can't continue to well and come back and impress the gaffer, whoever it may be.

Same with Murphy, all they can do is perform the way they are and see what happens

....on Jamie Murphy, do you think Morelos or Tav would've been loaned out to 'build fitness' if they were crocked for a year? I don't.

On Docherty - again, the lad could score a hattrick every game, would take a change in manager like you say as he certainly isn't going to get an opportunity under SG.

I'm now convinced Gerrard and Beale have a conceptualised view of 'the' way to play and they prioritise this over practicalities unless absolutely forced to do otherwise e.g. Braga second half and fleetingly yesterday.
Young Greg doesn't fit into that model so he can go.
Their rigid adherence to their ideal lies at the root of our problems, they need to accept the realities of the SPFL and manage the game actually being played out in front of them.
Docherty may not offer what they want for their project but they're trying to go too fast and it's not working here.

It may well be Docherty outlasts Stevie G.

Said before it has been a huge mistake by the manager sidelining Docherty and Ross McCrorie. You need players with a bit of heart up here and these boys have it
Trying to play silky football doesn’t work at times in this country, you need to go and fight fire with fire, particularly on Poor surfaces, it’s the old saying you need to win the battle first and then the better players shine through.
We try and knock the ball about from the off without aggression and when it doesn’t work , get bullied about.

....on Jamie Murphy, do you think Morelos or Tav would've been loaned out to 'build fitness' if they were crocked for a year? I don't.

On Docherty - again, the lad could score a hattrick every game, would take a change in manager like you say as he certainly isn't going to get an opportunity under SG.
No mate, they wouldn't have, a fit Murphy would be a good addition to the squad.

Docherty doesn't fit into the gaffer's 'style', no argument there but he's going to need to change his style or he won't be here long.

I just hope Doc has a good spell at Hibs, then who knows?! Worst case gets some interest in him and sell him on, or a swap with Kamberi if he continues to impress

No mate, they wouldn't have, a fit Murphy would be a good addition to the squad.

Docherty doesn't fit into the gaffer's 'style', no argument there but he's going to need to change his style or he won't be here long.

I just hope Doc has a good spell at Hibs, then who knows?! Worst case gets some interest in him and sell him on, or a swap with Kamberi if he continues to impress

Oh I completely agree with you mate. Even as a squad player, the fact that Docherty was still around after the summer window closed & basically didn't feature at all mystifies me.

All I'm referring to is the manager's borderline duplicitous comments on the player when compared to how often he's actually selected.

He played a starring role in a home draw against Livi and people are getting their nickers in a twist about him. Any time he did get a chance for us, he never looked comfortable. Always rushing passes, and giving away possession. No harm to him, but we need better than Docherty.

I really should watch a Hivs game soon. I'm still none the wiser as to whether he's getting these rave reviews because the players around him are of a lesser standard; he's not playing for us so that gives him more time on the ball; is he just thriving because of a run of games etc.

Trying to play silky football doesn’t work at times in this country, you need to go and fight fire with fire, particularly on Poor surfaces, it’s the old saying you need to win the battle first and then the better players shine through.
We try and knock the ball about from the off without aggression and when it doesn’t work , get bullied about.
We’ve been outfought by Hearts , Klmarnock and Aberdeen. Gerrard has to learn you need more than technical ability up here . You need players that will stand up and refuse to be bullied. Untill the manager learns that we will continue to drop points

I'm now convinced Gerrard and Beale have a conceptualised view of 'the' way to play and they prioritise this over practicalities unless absolutely forced to do otherwise e.g. Braga second half and fleetingly yesterday.
Young Greg doesn't fit into that model so he can go.
Their rigid adherence to their ideal lies at the root of our problems, they need to accept the realities of the SPFL and manage the game actually being played out in front of them.
Docherty may not offer what they want for their project but they're trying to go too fast and it's not working here.

Trying to make Rangers a Liverpool blueprint? But in a league where blood and thunder is the norm and pitches are sub standard?

hope not. We need Greg 100% and Kamberi if he continues his form.

Gregs attitude and desire is what is needed in the SPFL, Always gives all.
I reckon we should keep him here we need his energy,he's ideal to take the place of Davis and Jack,given yesterday's performance. Maybe that's causing a rift,that certain players aren't being given a chance,while others,who have lost form are still in.

No appearances in the league for Rangers this season. Wasn't even the worst player on the park against East Fife. Jones, Stewart, Polster and Halliday were worse.

Certainly has attributes some of our current midfielders lack: drive, bite, ability to bring the ball out of midfield, can pick out a first time pass. His distribution and decision making was holding him back. We've got people on here suggestions Lewis Ferguson but writing off Docherty.

He'd have been an option from the bench and I doubt his performances would have been any worse than what Kamara or Davis have put in since the turn of the year. Jack too has barely kicked a ball and Aribo blows hot and cold.

When the going gets tough some times you just need a bit of energy, drive, directness and a player who will snap away all over the park.

He's shown that he can pick a pass, strike a ball too.

[/QUOTE
Certain players have played worse in other games but get given more chances I think that’s what annoys people

Hibernian's next 6 Fixtures:

Inverness (H)
Hearts (H)
Aberdeen (A)

St. Johnstone (H)
Hamilton (A)
Celtic (H)

Let's see how he does in these games, and let's see if he causes Celtic to drop points.

EDIT: Not suggesting his Rangers career is over if Hibs can't beat Celtic, as some people seem to think. Just hoping the boy puts in a good performance and can get a goal or assist. As any reasonable Rangers fan would.

Last edited:
No appearances in the league for Rangers this season. Wasn't even the worst player on the park against East Fife. Jones, Stewart, Polster and Halliday were worse.

Certainly has attributes some of our current midfielders lack: drive, bite, ability to bring the ball out of midfield, can pick out a first time pass. His distribution and decision making was holding him back. We've got people on here suggestions Lewis Ferguson but writing off Docherty.

He'd have been an option from the bench and I doubt his performances would have been any worse than what Kamara or Davis have put in since the turn of the year. Jack too has barely kicked a ball and Aribo blows hot and cold.

When the going gets tough some times you just need a bit of energy, drive, directness and a player who will snap away all over the park.

He's shown that he can pick a pass, strike a ball too.

exactly and even if our manager is stubborn we will regret selling him for a pittance. We really need to learn a players worth even if he does not fin into SGs strict team formation.

But then again I thought the strict formation would sometimes be dropped for a plan B. We have not seen to date but if not were we hoping to convert the summer recruits to become 10s rather than wingers?

Back