What could we do next January break?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
It seems to me that the winter break isn't good for us. It seems to suck the life from us...also it seems to give us too much time to think. And this seems to lead to nerves, and caution.

What are the options though? Make it more like a holiday? Bonding, tactical video work, and some work on 3-5-2 etc?

Longer holiday and work at Rangers Training Centre?

What might help us stay focused, fit and switched on?

Anything. Just cut out the bullying:))

Seriously though. Carry on as normal. Hot weather break is not the problem.

I think this is a false take on the situation.

We were just as bad in December against Kilmarnock (before game against tims) until we brought Alfredo on, and he won the game single handed.

He was our best player in the first half of the season, and the difference between how we were then, and how we are now.

A soft red card against Celtic, meant he didn’t play for the whole of January and has come back in poor form/ fitness.

They shouldn’t have given him an extended holiday back to Columbia to dick about in charity matches and all that nonsense.

Is the winter break definitely happening every year?

The fixture pile up after it is just stupid.

The players looked leggy when they came back. Clearly the sports scientists will know more than I do but I would have thought a week’s rest followed by more or less business-as-usual training, spending a bit more time on tactics/set pieces and a couple friendlies to keep momentum would be the way to go. More emphasis on the ‘break’ part of ‘winter break’. Whatever work the team has done for the past 2 winter breaks has been counterproductive or are we to believe our poor form at this time of year is a coincidence?

Stay in Scotland, bit of extended down time for the players followed by a bounce game.

F**k heading away to Dubai or wherever.
Take them away to the sunshine when they've won something

Statistically speaking, the sample size of winter breaks to crappy performances after them is not big enough to prove that the winter breaks themselves is the causation of said crappy performances.

Whatever the manager thinks and that includes repeating what we've already done.

Mental to talk of going away being the reason we come back and hit a slump. It's down to players being off form and the manager not being able to turn it riund straight away.

The jet setting to Dubai doesn't seem to be working. I'd put hem up at the Ferry Inn and bus them to Arbroath every day.

Copy whatever the mentally challengeds do.

They look dead in December, then come back flying in January.

Cannot help but think we burn them out. No way do pro athletes need a mini preseason after playing 37 games before Xmas!

Let’s not forget the pre season included the early Europe games in both seasons. Just coincidence that the players tired after the new year ? So what about a winter break / holiday in Florida with a show game in Miami. Bit of sun in their backs. Clear up injuries. Visit some of the US sporting facilities. Then if they come back here and flop FF can justify a total wipe out.

Statistically speaking, the sample size of winter breaks to crappy performances after them is not big enough to prove that the winter breaks themselves is the causation of said crappy performances.

I don’t think anyone is talking about statistical significance here. The only metric you need is observation. It’s a clear indication of an issue. Now we could repeat whatever the process has been over the past 2 winter breaks next time round to get you more data or we can learn lessons and look to change what we do. Maybe the mini pre-season (if that’s what they effectively carried out) will see the team finish the season strongly (like last season) but by that point the league has gone. Whatever they’ve been doing certainly on the face of it seems to have had the opposite of the desired effect.

Why does FF have such an obsession with 3-5-2?
I'm not one of them but on paper we have 2 excellent attacking full backs, gives the option to play 2 up top and a no.10 behind (we don't play with wingers anyway) and importantly have extra cover at the back. Amazed it hasn't been trialled at least knowingly in bounce games/friendlies.
lee Wallace killed it before it started :p

It seems to me that the winter break isn't good for us. It seems to suck the life from us...also it seems to give us too much time to think. And this seems to lead to nerves, and caution.

What are the options though? Make it more like a holiday? Bonding, tactical video work, and some work on 3-5-2 etc?

Longer holiday and work at Rangers Training Centre?

What might help us stay focused, fit and switched on?
I think we should give the squad 1 week off to relax at the start of the break. I then think they should resume training in the freezing weather to be ready for the second half of the season.
No point being in Dubai or any other hot country then coming home to play football in sub zero temperatures.
Having said all that it doesn’t seem to have the same effect on the filth..

Whatever the manager thinks and that includes repeating what we've already done.

Mental to talk of going away being the reason we come back and hit a slump. It's down to players being off form and the manager not being able to turn it riund straight away.
I don’t think it’s so much “going away” that’s being questioned, as what they did while they were away. Were they overworked? We’ll surely have to try something different next January.

we need to look at whats happening on these training camps. if there training too hard then perhaps more of a rest is required next year. basically the opposite of whats being done now.

A team that drinks together wins together. Give them a good bevvy and show them vids of Richard Gough and co.

Latest posts

Back