Ryan Kent - “less tension, less expectation in the Europa”

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
In his post match interview he’s sort of admitted what I’ve always suspected. Now forgive me for saying this because the team were exceptional tonight and I know it seems a bit negative after that performance and it’s a proud moment and they all ought to be commended.

But I think this is something we’ll have to come back to because it’s obviously an issue when you’re trying to win domestic titles. That being said, I hope they enjoy their deserved plaudits tonight and until the weekend. Superb display and a superb turn around from Kent after a difficult first half.

Last edited:
He's only 23 coming in with a huge transfer fee – he wouldn't be human if he didn't feel the pressure domestically.

It’s not so much about Kent though. I’m talking about the squad in general and so was he. That includes the more senior players. It’s a big issue obviously as we’re seeing again. It’s frustrating too when you see us playing like that in Europe, you see what we’re capable off it would drive you mad seeing some of what we’ve served up recently.

Ho
In his post match interview he’s sort of admitted what’s always suspected. Now forgive me for saying this because the team were exceptional tonight, it’s a proud moment and they all ought to be commended.

But I think this is something we’ll have to come back to because it’s obviously an issue when you’re trying to win domestic titles. That being said, I hope they enjoy their deserved plaudits tonight and until the weekend. Superb display and a superb turn around from Kent after a difficult first half.
Honestly it's something the players, fans and club are struggling with and I think getting a trophy would go a long way to relaxing everyone a bit.

It
McCoist just summed it up perfectly there.
”Great Rangers players play against the diddy teams (okay, that was a wee bit of paraphrasing there) the same way as they play against septic or in Europe.”
Thats what our lot have got to learn.

AND

I‘ll say before anybody else, we weren’t overly successful in Europe when McCoist played.

It's all part of us getting there.

We'll have set backs here and there but results like tonight emphasise what we're doing well. We have to keep the head and take the rough with the smooth.

In his post match interview he’s sort of admitted what’s always suspected. Now forgive me for saying this because the team were exceptional tonight, it’s a proud moment and they all ought to be commended.

Sorry, but I read your post in my head and it sounded like someone gritting their teeth very tightly.
Have a nice night xx

I think he's just given us a little bit of insight of what's being said behind closed doors, probably a bit of a slip from him in the heat of the moment but an honest answer nonetheless it appears.

It's great that we can celebrate nights like tonight but in 3 days time if we go out the Cup to Hearts it puts a real dampener on our European efforts and completely cripples our season, we MUST find that same level of performance domestically.

I think he's just given us a little bit of insight of what's being said behind closed doors, probably a bit of a slip from him in the heat of the moment but an honest answer nonetheless it appears.

It's great that we can celebrate nights like tonight but in 3 days time if we go out the Cup to Hearts it puts a real dampener on our European efforts and completely cripples our season, we MUST find that same level of performance domestically.
The difference is that Ibrox gets behind the players in European games mate

Noticed it too. Doesn’t surprise me, and explains recent results. Clearly also means we need to acquire players with a stronger mentality this summer.

McCoist just summed it up perfectly there.
”Great Rangers players play against the diddy teams (okay, that was a wee bit of paraphrasing there) the same way as they play against septic or in Europe.”
Thats what our lot have got to learn.

AND

I‘ll say before anybody else, we weren’t overly successful in Europe when McCoist played.

At the risk if hijacking the thread... looking back at the quality in the teams of that era, I can’t believe they weren't more successful in Europe

I actually thought the same thing but didn't want to spoil the celebration. Thought it was a bit of a faux pass saying it. But, I commend him for being honest and it gives us an insight into what's wrong.

Wonder how long it will take someone to realise that we create that tension.

Stop moaning at the first misplaced pass or bad touch every week

Absolutely....maybe we should think a sports psychologist as well? Worked wonders for England under southgate and removed that tension and expectation..

Oh right Ryan so admitting this team is mentally weak and crumbles under pressure.

Aye sound mate. Pathetic comment to make!

In his post match interview he’s sort of admitted what I’ve always suspected. Now forgive me for saying this because the team were exceptional tonight and I know it seems a bit negative after that performance and it’s a proud moment and they all ought to be commended.

Less pressure???? My nerves are wrecked after that!!

We are still a fairly young inexperienced team that will get mentally tougher . The first 6 months of the season showed we are capable. Mentality gives you more consistency especially at the business end of seasons. Fans need to play their part too. I know we are desperate for success and a trophy but crucifying players during games won’t help that.

He couldve done with a couple of games out the team but we dont have the luxury of doing that for a player who weve payed so much for -however as a player who always shows up for OFs and took his finish well tonight after missing one earlier- im not too worries about him long term. Its always been a hard place to play and it always will be

I think it’s fairly obvious now that these players play far better when the pressure isn’t on but buckle when it matters most. That’s probably why you see players like Docherty and Murphy thriving elsewhere too.
Can’t help but feel tonight is rather bittersweet.

I think Europe certainly suits our style of play,also most European teams are willing to attack and don't sit 10 men behind the ball. So it can't be the team,because we've taken a helluva scalp tonight,so is it the teams in this poxy league that sit in and only prepared to have a go against us but all of a sudden lose the intensity when they come up against that mob.

Less pressure in Europe maybe but I think the players have a far better defined role in Europe whilst in domestic games at times we look a shambles.

Fair play for the thread and despite it being releastic, you'll need a tin helmet on.

Tonight was brilliant, fantastic, incredible. We beat a good team who have beaten some very good teams this season, Wolves, Porto, Benfica etc. December 29th was also a great performance.

The reality underneath that all though is there is an issue if you can beat and outplay Braga and Celtic away but lose games against dross like Hearts and Kilmarnock and ship points against St Johnstone.

Playing in portugal with good conditions that's what we want, this Scottish weather disnae suit us.

Yeah, I know it's the same for both teams but thats what i see.

That is why we need to support our players especially the young ones. Let's stop the booing at matches. They will progress quicker and become more consistent when they are not shitting themselves in case the fans get on their back. Everybody wins.

I’m not sure I completely agree with him or the sentiment. I think we do well against teams who actually play football. Against the dross in Scotland we get frustrated because we can’t actually play, and then that frustration leads to mistakes. If handling pressure was a problem we wouldn’t have beat the scum in December.

A team of mainly youngsters trying to keep up with a side who have won 57 out of 60 and are on for 9 in a row and a quadruple treble.

Of course it’s stressful.

We do well in games where we are underdogs and we do well in games where we are infinitely superior. We struggle against Aberdeen, Killie, Hearts etc.

All of this has been plainly obvious for some time.

Ho
Honestly it's something the players, fans and club are struggling with and I think getting a trophy would go a long way to relaxing everyone a bit.

We should already have a trophy in the bag and but for missed chances and poor officiating we would have. That said four wins against East Fife, Livingston, Hearts and them lifts that trophy. Our European run is much more impressive in footballing terms.

Ho
I honestly think if we had won the league cup we would be flying in the league the players would have taken so much confidence from it.

The majority of our players perform in the big games (Europe and old firm)

It’s against the “run of the mill” teams they struggle.
It’s and issue. It’s a very big fück if we sue actually.

It’s down to the manager as the system/tactics aren’t working domestically just now. Horses for courses or adapt the system to combat the dross opposition.

Or our own fans could stop piling pressure and tension on our players during home games.

Oh right Ryan so admitting this team is mentally weak and crumbles under pressure.

Aye sound mate. Pathetic comment to make!
They're young guys under immense pressure that no club in the world puts on their players right now. The pressure they're under as a rangers player is more than anything anyone will have ever experienced, including Gerrard in his playing days.

Not a single rangers team of the past is under half as much pressure as our current team is.

It's not easy to cope and your sat here slagging them off just looks pathetic.

Add to that our fans supporting them instead of devouring them, fair refs and opposition that actually play football.

People need to remember as well, teams set up very different in Europe to play against us than teams in Scotland do. Games are reffed at a different standard, persistent fouling very rather happens without getting a yellow card. Completely different games, completely different mentality from the teams that play against us.

We had almost the entire half of the pitch behind their back four to play balls in behind. They also played quite a slow paced, patient and indirect game. Very favourable circunstances which we exploited brilliantly in a game we were set up to play on the break. That whole situation is just not going to happen in Scotland and it's pointless comparing these games to domestic matches.

Back