VAR - was it in place last night?

Var was in use but I'm sure I read on here somewhere that VAR is not used for checking this?
I could be talking rubbish though.

In England the VAR is not used for that kind of incident. It's at the discretion of the officials, although I'm not sure if that's the case in Europe.

On a side note, if the ref gave the clear penalty, then why did it have to go to VAR?

Player protests?

All penalties a check for VAR as are all goals.
It is supposed to check for the goalkeeper staying on his line and if he has not got 1 foot in touch with the line when the ball is kicked the penalty should be retaken.

Yeah he had to wait for the Pen to be confirmed.

I have a question that bugs me though and hope someone knows

2nd half Braga player dives, free kick edge of box.

Say Braga score from Free kick, does the dive get looked at?

Two of their players in box for encroachment too. Before Hagi hit it.

The Man city pen against wolves was retaken for this.

I know different type of VAR, however it's very frustrating.

It is supposed to check for the goalkeeper staying on his line and if he has not got 1 foot in touch with the line when the ball is kicked the penalty should be retaken.
That’s what I thought would happen.

Theyve been advised only to use it if the keeper is taking the piss. So id imagine if a keeper had 1 foot a couple of inches off the line they would allow it.

On a side note, if the ref gave the clear penalty, then why did it have to go to VAR?

Player protests?
The player protests crack me up!

VAR is automatic, they don't need to draw a wee box with their fingers and surround the ref.

No.

It should, but it doesn't. Only penalty decisions get checked for VAR, nothing outside the box.

Then it is deemed a new phase of play I believe so no check of anything that happened before free kick.

No, I don't believe so. It would only go back to the last stoppage in play.

No, they only check in the phase of play that results in the goal. That phase of play starts once the free kick is taken and the ball is live.

Yep not checked in the EPL but I thought it was elsewhere.
Certainly was at the woman's World cup

Correct. Keeper movement was checked by VAR at the Women's World Cup, but they chose not to continue with it. Now purely down to match officials.

Rule has also changed in that the keeper can move his body before the kick is taken and only needs to keep one foot on or behind the line.

Sure the ref spoke to their keeper and warned him to stay on the line. I think it has to be really, really obvious for a retake now. The farce of the women’s World Cup woke everyone up.

The goal would stand as the freekick is the next phase of play.
Ironically if the dive was in the box and a penalty given, then VAR would overturn it and book the player for the dive.

The goal would stand as the freekick is the next phase of play.
Ironically if the dive was in the box and a penalty given, then VAR would overturn it and book the player for the dive.
I was thinking that at Ramos red card last night. Would it have been any different if theyd have reviewed it for a penalty rather than taking the red card for a foul outside the box?

It shouldnt. If you do that you would be as well reviewing every incident and just refereeing the game from tv and having the ref stop the game when you tell him.

I think it should because the goal would have came from an initial dive to win the free kick.

But I know what you are saying, where do you draw the line and how far back to you go to establish foul play in the lead up to a goal.

Thanks Guys appreciate the responses.

Stupid tbh, I would have thought as it led to the free kick, although a physically different phase it is in essence created the opportunity for a goal.

Thanks!

Did you not watch the game? It showed there was a VAR check. If you watch it again the keeper definitely had a foot on the line, no issues with it

Their goalkeeper looked to be off his line as Hagi took the penalty. Does VAR pick this up?
I didn’t think he was actually but the penalty took about 90 secs to confirm so VAR definitely in use.

I wouldn’t have been a fan of VAR ordering a retake if keeper was marginally off his line - calls like that are ruining the game in England even if we’d have benefited on this occasion.

I believe VAR doesn’t look at keeper being off line but I could be wrong
I think your right. It definitely doesn’t in the EPL and I’m sure it’s the same as the rule was changed following women’s World Cup carry on. Now left to the linesman standing on the goaline when the penalty is taken. Not often you see them retaken though.

Theyve been advised only to use it if the keeper is taking the piss. So id imagine if a keeper had 1 foot a couple of inches off the line they would allow it.

I called a retake last night watching with my son.

Whether it is taking the piss or not it was a save where he was at least a foot off the line by the time the penalty was taken..it should have been a retake

Thanks Guys appreciate the responses.

Stupid tbh, I would have thought as it led to the free kick, although a physically different phase it is in essence created the opportunity for a goal.

Thanks!
The incorrect decision resulted in the free kick, not the goal. I know the thought behind it leading to a goal but as i said above, where do you stop? Is every free kick reviewed? Every throw in? Every time the ball stops? Every tackle?

Such a refreshing change to have an honest, competent referee.
A bit different in Europe - no fear of having their windows smashed, phone number publicised and a rabid media calling for him to be demoted or sacked for being neutral. Neutrality is not allowed in Scotland, as there is intimidation to assist one team.

I called a retake last night watching with my son.

Whether it is taking the piss or not it was a save where he was at least a foot off the line by the time the penalty was taken..it should have been a retake
I never watched the replay as i had my head buried in the couch but you only need 1 foot touching the line now.

The incorrect decision resulted in the free kick, not the goal. I know the thought behind it leading to a goal but as i said above, where do you stop? Is every free kick reviewed? Every throw in? Every time the ball stops? Every tackle?

I'm sure they went back in an EPL game when it was wrongly given a corner, hence my confusion.

Corner came in, goal, VAR Check, should have been a goal kick, goal ruled out and GK given.

Maybe I am making that up :D

I dont get the var check with the penalty it was clear as day also what happens if var says no does the ref go with that decision?

I dont get the var check with the penalty it was clear as day also what happens if var says no does the ref go with that decision?
I think every penalty is reviewed.

Not sure on your second point. Do the refs go to the screen in Europe? He’d maybe get asked to take a look and review his decision

I think it's to assist the ref in his decision rather than overrule him. That's why the ref can watch the incident several times over and over, rather than just telling him yay or nay.

Just on var, the thread last night on braga forum posts and their reaction to the defeat, there was a few of their fans claiming a penalty incident was missed for them on 84 or 86 minutes. They claim their player was pushed over by one of ours in the box. Anyone recall the incident?

Someone posted a still of the penalty last night, the ball was almost half way to the goal and his foot was still on the line.

It was a great save.

Back