Hagi's contract?

Let's just see how March, April and May pan out for him mate.

He seems an intelligent enough player to be able to adapt to our domestic football.

I just want him to prove he can.

I'm certainly not saying he won't.
It’s nice to be excited by a January signing and then hit the ground running. As you say a few months to prove it’s not a Coulibaly, he seems the business though.

I know I'm against the grain on here, but if we're going to be paying £5 million for him then we need to judge him over the rest of the season.

The league is our bread and butter and so far in 2 away games at Kilmarnock and Perth the game has totally passed him by.

He's a terrific talent, but he has to be able to do it week in week out domestically for him to succeed here.

I'm not saying he can't do it, (and I certainly hope he can) but he needs to show us first.
I can sort of get behind what you're saying here. He is what you would call that "luxury player". There definitely is talent and I would like to see him given a run of games in that no 10 position rather than this drifty wide right position he's been operating in.

We have time before the end of the season to judge him and so far we have seen good signs. He's only played a handful of games so far in what's really been our poorest part of the season so far in fairness, so I'm not surprised that he's not played well in a few games plus the fact he is only 21 as well, some bad games are to be expected at some point.

Has it been confirmed that we definitely have an option to buy for €5m?

I’ve seen it mentioned a lot on here, but is that really the case?

For that sort of money, about £4.2m, I’d say it’s a no brainer based on what we’ve seen so far, but to get the best out of him I think we may have to reorganise the team around him.

You need 3 central midfielders fighting for every ball when you go there mate.

Particularly in Saturday's cup game.

The state of the pitch will ensure it'll be an absolute battle.
Last twice we have played them they have played with 2 in the middle mate. 3 for me someone is being lazy.

Yes, completely up to the player where he goes no matter what agreement is in place.

After the Braga night at Ibrox, I think Gerrard could use that feeling to push him to sign. Ibrox, baby.

Not to mention his dad thinks he's in the right place with the right manager for his career.

Imagine 1 full season at Rangers where you establish yourself and potentially go on to help win 55 and stop celtics 10 attempt. He'd have options from down south flying in.
stop Celtic's 9 you mean

Has it been confirmed that we definitely have an option to buy for €5m?

I’ve seen it mentioned a lot on here, but is that really the case?

For that sort of money, about £4.2m, I’d say it’s a no brainer based on what we’ve seen so far, but to get the best out of him I think we may have to reorganise the team around him.

"RANGERS are today delighted to announce Ianis Hagi has joined the club on loan from Genk until the end of the season, subject to international clearance, with the Light Blues having an exclusive option to buy."

Basically we have first refusal, if the player rejects us then he can go elsewhere, but there is already a deal in place ie. transfer fee agreed.

Some of his passing is sublime. Bare in mind he's only been with us a few weeks as well and he's confident enough to step up to free kicks and penalties.

Still think he's better as a number 10 than on the right though.

I know I'm against the grain on here, but if we're going to be paying £5 million for him then we need to judge him over the rest of the season.

The league is our bread and butter and so far in 2 away games at Kilmarnock and Perth the game has totally passed him by.

He's a terrific talent, but he has to be able to do it week in week out domestically for him to succeed here.

I'm not saying he can't do it, (and I certainly hope he can) but he needs to show us first.

If we knee jerked on every Loan signing we would have a midfield of Hyndman, Goss & Coulibally.

So, i agree, lets see how Hagi does over a longer period of time.

I think he is going to take time to get used to the league matches but he's shown enough in some of those and in Europe already to justify spending the £5M on him IMO.

He's probably not encountered teams setting up with 10 men behind the ball before so it will take him time to get used to it. Not to mention the hammer throwers and refs.

He is a very mature player for someone his age. Seems to have total belief in his ability. If we get him for 5m it will be a steal and a great investment.

We have first option if we want him for a pre arranged fee that option is only between us and Genk .
Other clubs can watch him even table bids for him in the summer ,but if we want him Genk must deal with us even if other clubs table larger bids.
Then the problems start talking hypothetically us and Chelsea want him Chelsea make it known to his agent they will pay him £100,000 a week and a five year contract ,he will then ask us to match it obviously we can't so he goes to Chelsea because he cannot agree terms with us .
Genk have held up their side of the bargain and hagi has done nothing wrong .
This exclusivety contract is not worth much unless the player sign into it as well he hasn't so he is not guaranteed if we want him to be here next season
cheers , that's the answer I was looking for

I agree, Coulibally was a superstar for his first few games.

Last twice we have played them they have played with 2 in the middle mate. 3 for me someone is being lazy.

If Tav and Borna are both fit, then the 2 of them and the 3 central midfielders works well mate.

16 league games we've played like that and we've had 15 wins and a draw.

No guarantee we take up the option to buy. I'd wager clubs always heavily scout games like ours last night.

Lets face it some of the names on that list provided werent going to be scouting the other 2 games last night.

The fact there were no other games on last night probably a contributor to volume of scouts

True, but if say Liverpool ( hypothetical) wanted him and made an offer, our 1st refusal only gets us so far. Will come down to where the player wants to be based on the offers he has on the table. We could well be a stepping stone even during this short loan period.

We have an exclusive option to buy.

He can't sign for anyone else without our permission.

£5 million for a talent like Hagi is a steal in this day & age.

Wages might be a problem if he is getting a good pay at present.

We have an exclusive option to buy.

He can't sign for anyone else without our permission.

I don't think that's exactly true.

He's not our player even though we have a fee agreed for buying him. The player could still decide he doesn't want to join us permanently.

The determination and then skill to set up Kent’s chance was superb,sublime pass for the goal.I’ll forgive the penalty was some save by the keeper,reminded me of Sebastian Frey from Barry v Fiorentina 2008 shoot-out.
Really hope we get him this summer.

I don't think that's exactly true.

He's not our player even though we have a fee agreed for buying him. The player could still decide he doesn't want to join us permanently.

He could decide not to join us.

But if he does that he's going back to Genk because he's not signing for anyone else without our permission.

I said it when we signed him - I can see us doing a similar deal to Luca Jovic to Real Madrid with Hagi.

Yes until we offer the player a contract, if he doesn't want to come to us they can obviously sell him to another team.

If thats what we have then the contract is for the first option to buy and not, as reported, an exclusive option to buy contract.

If thats what we have then the contract is for the first option to buy and not, as reported, an exclusive option to buy contract.

The way you are putting it across would be illegal, you can't force a player to sign for a specific club.

I imagine it will be agreed fee that gives us exclusivity to complete the transfer until say 20th July as I assume Genk will still want time to flog him in the window if we don’t or can’t take up the option.

After that then other clubs are free to offer what they want.

The way you are putting it across would be illegal, you can't force a player to sign for a specific club.

I know that.

You can reach an agreement with another club though that they will only sell a certain player to us for the remainder of that players contract. The player then has the choice to either see out the contract he has already signed with Genk, move to Rangers or reach a financial settlement with Rangers which buys out the option.

I know that.

You can reach an agreement with another club though that they will only sell a certain player to us for the remainder of that players contract. The player then has the choice to either see out the contract he has already signed with Genk, move to Rangers or reach a financial settlement with Rangers which buys out the option.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Might work in property deals or something but not with people.

I think his price tag is only going to go one direction for the foreseeable future.
5M EUR can jump to 10/15M EUR over the the next couple of windows easy, so if he wants to stay and we pay the fee, he can move on again in a couple of seasons for megabucks.

If our option to buy is binding, I was under the impression that that option would have to be bought out of for him to go elsewhere.

Im not clued you on these things but I assumed that too or else there’s not a great deal of value in the guarantee.

I’d hope/expect that in the scenarios above where EPLmoney talks they’d essentially have to pay us some form of compensation, as well as Genks £5m

This young man has the talent to play in the EPL, Bundesliga, or La Liga at a later point in his career.

I'd like him to be at Rangers for a good while before that though.

Interesting comments RE: league being our bread and butter but that's for another thread.

If we are going to pay €5m (£4.26m) for Ianis Hagi then I suggest there is a tweak to our system domestically. Seeing him taking up positions wide right and not being able to influence the game as much as in a more central attacking area is frustrating to watch.

Even in that role he's still finding that bit of quality whether it's a pass, assist or goal. Quality we were missing previously.

Back