Hibs owner calls for end to booze ban

Pints in the concourse would be a revenue spinner.

The Scottish game is in dire straits financially and the powers that be are starving it of further cash.

We’re behind the times with everything in this country. A pint of beer isn’t going to make someone a less of a crackpot at a match. If they want to get steaming, they’ll get steaming in the pub before it. Never understood the alcohol ban at all.

With the current mob in charge, i will be very very surprised if this happens, throw in Plod Scotland.....can’t see them ever supporting this..

The Scottish game is in dire straits financially and the powers that be are starving it of further cash.

We’re behind the times with everything in this country. A pint of beer isn’t going to make someone a less of a crackpot at a match. If they want to get steaming, they’ll get steaming in the pub before it. Never understood the alcohol ban at all.
Don’t see the issue with this. Rugby manages and as a lawyer I can guarantee you there are more up in the bail court on a Monday after a 6 nations game than there is after a weekend card of football. Football fans have been demonised for decades in this country including the introduction of the SNP’s football banning orders and other useless legislation.
There is a finite amount of alcohol that can be serve between the ground opening and half time. With proper training it’s simple for the staff to restrict service if necessary.

If idiots can't behave themselves sober then they definitely won't when drunk. Absolute non starter

Don’t see the issue with this. Rugby manages and as a lawyer I can guarantee you there are more up in the bail court on a Monday after a 6 nations game than there is after a weekend card of football.
There are hardly ever arrests at 6 nation games up here. There might not be that many arrests at football either on the day but there is far less bother at rugby.

The last time I was invited to rugby at Twickenham was a total pain in the arse.

Cunto's up and down and in and out their seats every 5 minutes to go to the concourse bar.

Also, I don't think it helps us. Booze is a massive obstacle to eradicating the issues from our songs.

I'm for it but it needs to be brought in gradually I feel.

Try it at smaller clubs first during low risk games and see how it goes.

The last time I was invited to rugby at Twickenham was a total pain in the arse.

Cunto's up and down and in and out their seats every 5 minutes to go to the concourse bar.

Also, I don't think it helps us. Booze is a massive obstacle to eradicating the issues from our songs.

Exact same scenario when I was at Wembley for the NFL, I had an aisle seat and I lost count the amount of times I had to get up over that 3 hours. As you said a total pain in the arse.

You wouldn't imagine you'd be allowed to take it back to your seat in Scotland I suppose. Only pre kick off and then half time.

It will be a non starter, Hibs for example have had 3 incidents off the top of my head, 2 glass bottles thrown at Barisic and Sinclair and Tav attacked, now you want to add more booze into the mix, no chance.

The alcohol bans ridiculous. People will get bevvied for going to the football regardless of what they do to try and stop them.

Early kick offs? Start boozing at stupid o clock in the morning which is the norm for away days and OFs.

Sunday games? Monday off work.

Polis being nazis and stopping buses and seizing a couple of cans? Pathetic and stops absolutely %^*& all.

Would be a seriously strong source of revenue for a lot of the clubs in this country. There was a riot at the 2016 SCF and no alcohol was sold within the stadium. If football fans want to riot they will. Backwards thinking narrow minded country we live in.

There are hardly ever arrests at 6 nation games up here. There might not be that many arrests at football either on the day but there is far less bother at rugby.
I don’t think that’s accurate. Edinburgh is absolutely horrific on a night of a six nations game. Admittedly that may not all translate into arrests but the amount of football related violence/offences and rugby (given rugby a tiny fraction of football in terms of fans) is at least comparable but I suspect per head rugby generates considerably more incidents than football.

Would like to see it return, enjoy a beer watching the game.

If they’re worried about folk getting legless then they could just have a limit ie. 3 drinks per ticket.

Don't know about anyone else but if Scottish grounds were allowed to sell drink again, it wouldn't make me change my routine of going to the boozer before games.

Don’t see the issue with this. Rugby manages and as a lawyer I can guarantee you there are more up in the bail court on a Monday after a 6 nations game than there is after a weekend card of football. Football fans have been demonised for decades in this country including the introduction of the SNP’s football banning orders and other useless legislation.
There is a finite amount of alcohol that can be serve between the ground opening and half time. With proper training it’s simple for the staff to restrict service if necessary.
So you are saying there are more people at Court after a Rugby match than a weekend of football but you want to introduce Booze inside the grounds?
Stick to Legal work

Non starter with the recent issues, especially at Hivs.

I love the pub before the match, rightly or wrongly it's a massive part of the football experience. I think it would help with atmosphere in the ground if the beers are flowing.

But sadly the bams that smuggle in vodka etc will still do it because they're not paying the 4quid or whatever for a beer in the ground.

There has been 1 arrest at Murrayfield in about 15 years. For a Frenchmen doing a naked pitch invasion. But I take your point about the afters in the pubs with thousands of punters and visitors from all over. Stretching to say its attributable to the beer being sold in the stadium with so many mixing in the bars.

I support beer being sold in the stadium concourse like the EPL. Could we not appease those who oppose it by selling lower alcohol beer? Not Heineken zero but 3% lager or something.

If he could stop his own fans launching bottles from the stand this might have a chance of being taken seriously

So you are saying there are more people at Court after a Rugby match than a weekend of football but you want to introduce Booze inside the grounds?
Stick to Legal work
Im saying I don’t think that football fans should be discriminated against when I’m not sure there’s any basis to treat them differently. Anything that could enhance the match day experience and revenue in Scotland (that’s arguable if it’s abused I accept that) should be considered.

The amount of shit thrown on the pitch at our players will probably ensure this will never happen. So they're not fucked in the napper with a pint of fosters.

There has been 1 arrest at Murrayfield in about 15 years. For a Frenchmen doing a naked pitch invasion. But I take your point about the afters in the pubs with thousands of punters and visitors from all over. Stretching to say its attributable to the beer being sold in the stadium with so many mixing in the bars.

I support beer being sold in the stadium concourse like the EPL. Could we not appease those who oppose it by selling lower alcohol beer? Not Heineken zero but 3% lager or something.
Yeah, I’m not really talking about ‘at the ground’ even in football that’s pretty rare - there are ejections but they seldom end up in arrests.

All I was saying is that it’s something that should be up for discussion. and the idea that football and rugby are treated differently is, in my view, based on a false premise.

I agree and think there are positive steps that clubs could do to improve the whole match day experience and get them into the ground spending money earlier. Same after the game - if bars were open on the concourse with match highlights on TV some of the 90% who don’t leave after 80mins would be happy to have a beer and let the crowds leave.

Im saying I don’t think that football fans should be discriminated against when I’m not sure there’s any basis to treat them differently. Anything that could enhance the match day experience and revenue in Scotland (that’s arguable if it’s abused I accept that) should be considered.
I can only base my opinion on Ibrox and particularly the Govan Rear, it would not make a profit

The alcohol bans ridiculous. People will get bevvied for going to the football regardless of what they do to try and stop them.

Early kick offs? Start boozing at stupid o clock in the morning which is the norm for away days and OFs.

Sunday games? Monday off work.

Polis being nazis and stopping buses and seizing a couple of cans? Pathetic and stops absolutely %^*& all.

Would be a seriously strong source of revenue for a lot of the clubs in this country. There was a riot at the 2016 SCF and no alcohol was sold within the stadium. If football fans want to riot they will. Backwards thinking narrow minded country we live in.
The early kick offs as a means of preventing violence is misconceived too. It leads to early morning drinking on the bus or wherever and then 10+ hours of drinking thereafter where the fans scatter all over Scotland as opposed to being managed by a the police and security that attend games. There are going to be problems either way and those who have pointed to the moronic element of any support are correct but to what extent should the minority dictate what is and isn’t permissible at football - taken time it’s logical conclusion we’ll be playing in empty grounds as a pre-emptive measure because a small group can’t be trusted - this may become a reality depending on FARE’s review of last nights game.

I can only base my opinion on Ibrox and particularly the Govan Rear, it would not make a profit

That’s fair enough - but it should be a commercial decision for each club to make. Not for the politicians to selectively discriminate against one group. An extra £2.000 revenue per match in the lower leagues might make a huge difference...

Would it perhaps be the case that if the clubs did sell the beer in grounds it would cost even more to insure match days for cover?? No idea if it would right enough just a guess at one of the reasons.

Scotland is a tinpot backwards country in Football match day experience. Accrington Stanley has a better organised match day experience. They have live bands before and after . If we can't have a game of football sell beer in Scotland it shows we are backwards .Every other league in the world sells beer to their supporters and gives other entertainment for match day experience.

drunk folk at the football are always drunk before they get there. Being able to drink over priced pints will not suddenly create mass riots. It's easy to control, limit it to serving 2 drinks per person. this creates queues and probably means each person will only have a couple of pints a game. Assuming they actually want to watch the football and not spend the entire game queuing for a drink.

The worlds went mad. Taking everything that's enjoyable in life, ie, getting pissed and singing songs at the football. We are being controlled and getting told what's right and wrong. Fascist behaviour imo

Until about 3 seasons ago, I was for this idea. I think revenue generated would be a big plus but the more I see of the incidents we have in our game and our drink culture in Scotland I would not be for this anymore. This would only lead to more and more incidents like we have seen for the last 3 seasons, someone will get hurt.

There could be a system in place to allow this.

Make it open to only season ticket holders and limit it to 3 pints per season ticket.

Part of the problem with drink is people tanning them in the pubs before hand as they know they won't get another until after the match. Personally I thinki If you provide drinks in the concourses then people would drink a bit more responsibly in the pubs knowing they can get one at the game.

If I recall correctly, one of the factors in the original ban was fans taking carry- out's into the game then using the empties as missiles. People still arrive pissed up at games to this day,

Back