Summer Transfer Activity - Building On a Mixed Season.

Necro

The Braga tie has made the support look at Rangers as a club through a positive lens again after weeks of negativity to match results. The first team is full of young players with very high ceilings, guys like Morelos, Aribo, Kent and Hagi are only going to get better next season.

With that said, I think everyone can agree that there's room for improvement, while there will be debate whether players like Jones, Ross McCrorie and Docherty can contribute for us; I do think that it's undeniable that the gap in quality from our first 11 to our bench or squad players is a bit too wide. We are also rather light on cover in certain areas, we suffer tremendously when Barisic is unavailable in particular.

This summer window is another opportunity to strengthen the squad as a whole, a fair few will be leaving with their contracts expiring and added revenue from this Europa League run will hopefully see us add real quality.

What do you think we should add? Do you think anyone should be given a new deal? Should returning loanees be given a chance? Here is a summary of some of what will be going on, coupled with a couple of rumours. Player recommendations are always fun so feel free to jump in with some.

Possible Incomings/Targets:
Hagi(option to buy)
Kamberi(possible option to buy?)
Vydra(option to buy with Burnley before deal collapsed)
Lovro Majer
Serhou Guirassy
Mostafa Mohamed
Dykes
Ferguson

Players Returning From Loan:
McCrorie
McCrorie
Murphy
Docherty
Middleton

Contracts Expiring:
Halliday
Flanagan
Foderingham
Holt
Rossiter
Alnwick
Ojo (end of loan)
Kamberi (end of loan/option to buy unknown)
Hagi (end of loan/guaranteed option to buy)

Probable Outgoings:
Jones
Barker
Polster
Hastie(loan?)
Middleton(loan?)

Possible Outgoings:
Barisic(serious interest across italy)
Morelos(likelihood decreasing with form)
Kamara(likelihood decreating with form)
Goldson(West Ham rumour not going away)

Played against some good players in europe this season so hopefully if any are available the Ibrox atmosphere will sway them. Loved how the braga players were all tall, strong and fast.

In my opinion we need..

LB
CM
Winger x 2
CF x 2

Thats on top of getting Hagi signed and assuming Morelos will be gone.

Secure Hagi and build from there.

I still think a defensive midfielder of the b*star variety is required, need to stop being bullied in midfield by the hammer throwers.

Every team changes and we are no different. I am hoping our scouting team has another Hagi up their sleeve.
Players returning, can't see any of them breaking into the first 11, so squad players at best if not gone.

Contracts expiring, only Hagi and Kamberi will stay.

A lot will depend on transfers out obviously, but there are some good "unknown" players playing in the Europa League

Need a new RB and LB good enough to compete with Borna and Tav then a deep lying playmaker any other signings should be dependent on who leaves for big money

Need a new RB and LB good enough to compete with Borna and Tav then a deep lying playmaker any other signings should be dependent on who leaves for big money
If Barasic is still around next season I’d like to see the Kilmarnock left back come in as cover. Anytime I’ve seen him he’s looked good on the ball and has a excellent engine. Tavernier needs to get better up to the end of the season. He’s one I’d be looking to upgrade if he keeps the current form.

I think we need to start from the back.Goldson had the game of his life against Braga but can he produce that form consistantly in the league.Edmundson looks solid and has a lot to learn at such a young age but hes deffo one to hold on.Mccrorie has done very well down south likewise jaime murphy.I think we need to sign hagi at all costs.hes not the quickest but i see him playing in middle of the park and carving up chances and finishes gascoignesque :D.
id want kamberi aswell,hes can hold the ball up(which we deffo need with our big punts up the field by greegsy wen he could play the easy pass but thats a diff thead)and not afraid to take a dig.

I’d like Serhou Guirassy brought in regardless of Alfie leaving, a back up for Borna (let Patterson be Tav’s backup), an attacking centre midfielder, a defensive midfielder, a centre half to partner Goldson and Vydra brought in if Alfie leaves. I’d look to cash in on Kamara (teams know how good he is and that he is going through a bad spell), probably time to cash in on Alfie for £20m-£25m,sell Katic for £5m, get maybe 500k for Murphy and get what we can for McCrorie and Docherty

No tin hat required as its only my opinion and i don't care what other folk think but i would like a RB than can defend and can beat the first man with a cross.

If we don’t sell anyone and we bring in Hagi, we’ll still need to bring in a LB, RB (preferably promote Patterson), CM (succession planning for Davis/Arfield), RW & ST.

Foderingham,Flanagan,Halliday,Polster,Kamara,Jones,Barker,Ojo, and Morelos I reckon will go.
Not sure about Ross McCrorie and Greg Docherty but I'd keep.Same with Murphy if he looks ok from injury.

Sign Hagi permanently,a back-up LB on loan,two strikers and a wide right player.Most importantly,a hard b.astard for the midfield who can play a bit also.

In a perfect ideal world players like : Andre Gray,Smail Prevljak and Skov Olsen for the attacking players.
And someone like the Braga skipper for midfield-

not asking much at all :rolleyes:

Foderingham,Flanagan,Halliday,Polster,Kamara,Jones,Barker,Ojo, and Morelos I reckon will go.
Not sure about Ross McCrorie and Greg Docherty but I'd keep.Same with Murphy if he looks ok from injury.

Sign Hagi permanently,a back-up LB on loan,two strikers and a wide right player.Most importantly,a hard b.astard for the midfield who can play a bit also.

In a perfect ideal world players like : Andre Gray,Smail Prevljak and Skov Olsen for the attacking players.
And someone like the Braga skipper for midfield-

not asking much at all :rolleyes:
Skov Olsen would be a superb signing, quality and profile of player we should be targeting

Reactions: cav
Sell morelos and kamara bring in two quality midfielders a quality centre back left back cover hagi a quality striker to replace alfredo and a striker that offers something different from the bench/kamberi permanent if he proves himself.

Other players to leave Flanagan Halliday Ojo
Docherty and Jones Wes.

I'd like us to give paterson kelly and the McCroaries the chance to be part of the first team squad full time.

It has to be quality over quantity this season similar to what liverpool have done this season.

If Barasic is still around next season I’d like to see the Kilmarnock left back come in as cover. Anytime I’ve seen him he’s looked good on the ball and has a excellent engine. Tavernier needs to get better up to the end of the season. He’s one I’d be looking to upgrade if he keeps the current form.
Do you mean the American boy with the Finnish name? I don't a single Kilmarnock fan who rates him.

Skov Olsen would be a superb signing, quality and profile of player we should be targeting
He went to Italy and hasn't settled that well by all accounts,tough league though.
They signed him for 5.5 million but it would be worth asking about if they get most of that back,one thing we seem to be really good at is coaching and improving young players and players from Denmark,Sweden etc. usually settle better in Scotland statistically.

Very talented lad,be some player if someone can unlock all that ability.

I'd quite like Nuno Sequeria from Braga

Barry Douglas would be a brilliant replacement for Barasic, dont think hes playing as much as he was at Leeds. Also dont know if hes one of them but dont really care if he wanted to come

He went to Italy and hasn't settled that well by all accounts,tough league though.
They signed him for 5.5 million but it would be worth asking about if they get most of that back,one thing we seem to be really good at is coaching and improving young players and players from Denmark,Sweden etc. usually settle better in Scotland statistically.

Very talented lad,be some player if someone can unlock all that ability.
I remember hearing January 2019 that Gerrard went over to meet him and convince him to sign in summer obviously never happened but as you say we need to pick up top talents who don’t settle (Hagi) and help them eventually reach their potential and sell the, for big money.

Barry Douglas would be a brilliant replacement for Barasic, dont think hes playing as much as he was at Leeds. Also dont know if hes one of them but dont really care if he wanted to come
Wouldn’t be a brilliant replacement for Borna in fact I’d be disappointed if that was his replacement but he’d be a very good backup. He’s a bear btw

Players out of contract need moved on. They are simply not good enough - I won't count Foderingham in that as he's a good keeper and deserves to be a number 1 some where else.

Halliday, Flanagan, Rossiter etc. Sorry but your time is up.

Ojo - no permanent deal.

At this early stage Hagi has impressed, Kamberi has done fine.

Polster, Barker, Docherty, Jones and possibly Stewart need moved on. Certain first team players need replaced and they become the squad players - it's what was required last summer but we opted for quantity, in wide areas especially. Now we play with two number 10's.

Patterson becomes back up to Tavernier - unless we send him on loan for regular football. If that's the case then a cheap RB with similar attributes to Tavernier is required as we don't change our set up and are reliant on attacking full backs.

Over on the left we need similar for Barišić.

Think we could do with a bit of added quality in midfield and who knows what's going to happen with Morelos?

Wide right needs an option too.

Any of our better players leave and they need replaced with similar or preferably better quality.

I remember hearing January 2019 that Gerrard went over to meet him and convince him to sign in summer obviously never happened but as you say we need to pick up top talents who don’t settle (Hagi) and help them eventually reach their potential and sell the, for big money.
Of the players I mentioned Gray,Prevljak and Skov Olsen have all been out of favour to a large degree with their current or parent clubs(Prevljak is out on loan).
Hagi has shown that loans with an option to buy are possible in the right circumstances giving us an opportunity to get players that if we're honest,we couldn't normally afford otherwise.

A clever strategy imo and one that we should seek to exploit.

Players out of contract need moved on. They are simply not good enough - I won't count Foderingham in that as he's a good keeper and deserves to be a number 1 some where else.

Ojo - no permanent deal.

Polster, Barker, Docherty, Jones and possibly Stewart need moved on. Certain first team players need replaced and they become the squad players - it's what was required last summer but we opted for quantity, in wide areas especially. Now we play with two number 10's.

Patterson becomes back up to Tavernier - unless we send him on loan for regular football. If that's the case then a cheap RB with similar attributes to Tavernier is required as we don't change our set up and are reliant on attacking full backs.

Think we could do with a bit of added quality in midfield and who knows what's going to happen with Morelos?

Any of our better players leave and they need replaced with similar or preferably better quality.

Completely agree with this post

Ojo - no permanent deal.

Can't disagree with a single word of this.

No time for sentiments or arguing over players with seriously limited ability. Ship them out.

dusseldorf v hertha has been some game so far and looking forward to leverkusen game based on how open ther football is.

Hagi at €5m, £4.26m give or take, is taking up a lot of our budget.
A bit like Kent did at 7 million mate.

I think the difference is we'll get substantially more if the likes of Kamara and Morelos leave this summer,hopefully giving us a bit more for the pot.As I said,I hope we try another few loans with options to buy as well.

The Braga tie has made the support look at Rangers as a club through a positive lens again after weeks of negativity to match results. The first team is full of young players with very high ceilings, guys like Morelos, Aribo, Kent and Hagi are only going to get better next season.

With that said, I think everyone can agree that there's room for improvement, while there will be debate whether players like Jones, Ross McCrorie and Docherty can contribute for us; I do think that it's undeniable that the gap in quality from our first 11 to our bench or squad players is a bit too wide. We are also rather light on cover in certain areas, we suffer tremendously when Barisic is unavailable in particular.

This summer window is another opportunity to strengthen the squad as a whole, a fair few will be leaving with their contracts expiring and added revenue from this Europa League run will hopefully see us add real quality.

What do you think we should add? Do you think anyone should be given a new deal? Should returning loanees be given a chance? Here is a summary of some of what will be going on, coupled with a couple of rumours. Player recommendations are always fun so feel free to jump in with some.

Hagi(option to buy)
Lovro Majer
Serhou Guirassy
Mostafa Mohamed
Dykes
Ferguson

McCrorie
McCrorie
Murphy
Docherty
Middleton

Contracts Expiring:
Halliday
Flanagan
Foderingham
Holt
Rossiter
Alnwick
Ojo (end of loan)

Probable Outgoings:
Jones
Barker
Polster
Hastie(loan?)
Middleton(loan?)

Possible Outgoings:

A well laid out post.

Just my input.
INs:
Hagi (£4M)
Majer (£5M)
Douglas (Loan)
Weissman (£2.5M)
McLean (Loan)
Vydra (Loan)
Liverpool Loan?
Sinani (£2-3M)
CB
RB

OUTs:
Morelos? £15-20M
Barisic? £15M
Kamara?£8M
Goldson? £10M
Ojo
Foderingham
Flanagan
Halliday
Barker (Loan)
Jones (Loan)
Polster
Alnwick
Holt
Rossiter
Barjonas
Middleton (Loan)

Hagi(option to buy)
Lovro Majer
Serhou Guirassy
Mostafa Mohamed
Dykes
Ferguson

McCrorie
McCrorie
Murphy
Docherty
Middleton

Contracts Expiring:
Halliday
Flanagan
Foderingham
Holt
Rossiter
Alnwick
Ojo (end of loan)

Probable Outgoings:
Jones
Barker
Polster
Hastie(loan?)
Middleton(loan?)

Possible Outgoings:
Not sure who the players are but we need a Ferguson type player to take game by scruff of neck and a Albertz type who can smash the ball in from outside box,obviously easier said than done but it’s what we need!
Also cover for borna and tav if they both stay.
Quality over quantity

Would like to see us go after players who are attack minded and breakdown 10 men parking the bus. Think we're covered elsewhere.

We need to make big decisions. We are too reliant on Morelos who is consistently suspended. Sell him and replace with 2 strikers if the money stretches. Davis cannot play every week. Sell Goldson for good money and reinvest. just thoughts

Hagi(option to buy)
Lovro Majer
Serhou Guirassy
Mostafa Mohamed
Dykes
Ferguson

McCrorie
McCrorie
Murphy
Docherty
Middleton

Contracts Expiring:
Halliday
Flanagan
Foderingham
Holt
Rossiter
Alnwick
Ojo (end of loan)

Probable Outgoings:
Jones
Barker
Polster
Hastie(loan?)
Middleton(loan?)

Possible Outgoings:

Ignoring all other points in your post (no disrespect intended ) , whilst we may have an option to 'buy' Hagi, even if that is so it doesn't take into consideration that Hagi could sign for another club, which matches our offer but which club offers him considerably better terms.

That particular scenario would seriously depress me !

Latest posts

Back