Aston Villa European Cup Win

An absolutely magnificent achievement. I was burning with jealousy that night. Their first time in it and they won it while we'd been trying for God knows how many years (and still are). What I'd give to see that big cup in our Trophy Room..:confused::rolleyes:

Did Ron Saunders not walk out after it ?

An absolutely magnificent achievement. I was burning with jealousy that night. Their first time in it and they won it while we'd been trying for God knows how many years (and still are). What I'd give to see that big cup in our Trophy Room..:confused::rolleyes:
By the way, Peter Withe had played several times for England.
I'm with you there. Could actually be argued that we badly underachieved in the early days of the European Cup when you look at the settled team we had. I think the English teams of the late seventies and early eighties just knew how to win it, before the more technical nations got their act together and Heysel ended their domination. The relatively easy passage to a final also made it possible.

Pretty sure Tony Morley was capped for England too.

Still a hell of an achievement for a team like Villa though.

Gordon Cowans played for England although he may have got capped after the European Cup win.

Some achievemnt by Villa. Bit of boys own stuff for Nigel Spink, the sub goalie, who came on for Jimmy Rimmer when he was injured.

I'm with you there. Could actually be argued that we badly underachieved in the early days of the European Cup when you look at the settled team we had. I think the English teams of the late seventies and early eighties just knew how to win it, before the more technical nations got their act together and Heysel ended their domination. The relatively easy passage to a final also made it possible.
Gordon Smith thinks we should have won it in 79.mind you if we had beaten cologne we would have played Nottingham Forrest in the semi final

This, criminal some of the clubs that have won it while we haven’t

Gordon Cowans played for England although he may have got capped after the European Cup win.

Some achievemnt by Villa. Bit of boys own stuff for Nigel Spink, the sub goalie, who came on for Jimmy Rimmer when he was injured.
Rimmer was injured during the warm up if I recall correctly?

It was 3 seasons earlier that we were in the last 8 with Nottingham Forest having beaten Juventus and PSV. Getting knocked out by Cologne remains one of my biggest disappointments as a Bear.

English teams of that time were tougher, fitter and better defensively than any one else around. A team that beat an English side over 2 legs knew they had been in a battle for sure.

I remember watching it at the time and can recall Rimmer going off injured & Spink (who was very young was he not) coming on.

Like you I was sure I could remember him running on to the park as a sub, but wanted to check as the memory can play tricks.

I assume he was young because I think this was one of his first games for Villa, if not his first.

Didn't see the programme but Villa had a great team then - Gary Shaw, Tony Morley, Gordon Cowans - absolutely tremendous players, and Allan Evans at centre back - really underrated player.

IIRC they didn't have an overly difficult route to the final, but beating Bayern when they got there demonstrated how good they were.

12 Englishmen & 4 Scots in their 16 for the Final- those were the days...

I thought of Withe straight away as well mate, just going by what the narrator said.

It was amazing how many Scottish players won the European Cups with Forest and Villa but didn’t get near the Scotland team. From memory...John Robertson, Archie Gemmill and Frankie Gray did, but Kenny Burns, John McGovern, John O’Hare, Allan Evans, Ken McNaught, Des Bremner had no more than a few caps.

Two gifted left-footers, would have been an interesting battle. Cooper vs Robertson, did they ever play in the same Scotland 11?

Yes.
It was Jock Stein who gave Cooper his debut (1-1 v Peru) in Sept 1979, with Cooper on the right flank and Robertson on the left.
One month later (1-1v Austria) Cooper came off the bench, to replace Aurthur Graham, with Robertson in the team.
For whatever reason, it would be almost 5 YEARS, before Stein gave a Cooper a Cap again, in Feb 1984.
In between that time, Robertson was selected 21 times, and Cooper never got a look in.

It was 3 seasons earlier that we were in the last 8 with Nottingham Forest having beaten Juventus and PSV. Getting knocked out by Cologne remains one of my biggest disappointments as a Bear.
I was convinced we were going all the way after getting past Juventus and especially the 3-2 win in Eindhoven.

God save ones Grandmamma .......
1223379.jpg

Great days , to win the European cup you had to win the league then , no prizes for a 4th place finish . Villa in their league winning season had to see off Forrest , Liverpool and a brilliant Ipswich team , that was some achievement back then .

Gordon Smith thinks we should have won it in 79.mind you if we had beaten cologne we would have played Nottingham Forrest in the semi final
If my memory serves me right he missed a great chance in Cologne. Forest would have been tough but after beating the champions of Italy, Holland and West Germany we would have fancied our chances.

If my memory serves me right he missed a great chance in Cologne. Forest would have been tough but after beating the champions of Italy, Holland and West Germany we would have fancied our chances.
We did miss a great chance in Germany,Iirc it was a header in the six yard box that just had to be on target and it was in.

There were a few full internationalists in the Villa team. Rimmer, Evans, Bremner, Withe and Morley were all capped before the final. None of them made many international appearances though.

I seen the Damned United for the 1st time last week, Absolute superb stuff.
I know not everything can be factually correct and the Clough family were upset with the ending but I could have watched another few hours of it going right through his Forest years. Love seeing, reading about football when there were real characters

I seen the Damned United for the 1st time last week, Absolute superb stuff.
I know not everything can be factually correct and the Clough family were upset with the ending but I could have watched another few hours of it going right through his Forest years. Love seeing, reading about football when there were real characters

Its a great film but It’s a pretty much a work of fiction, Dave McKay sued the makers and won damages over how he was portrayed.

It was amazing how many Scottish players won the European Cups with Forest and Villa but didn’t get near the Scotland team. From memory...John Robertson, Archie Gemmill and Frankie Gray did, but Kenny Burns, John McGovern, John O’Hare, Allan Evans, Ken McNaught, Des Bremner had no more than a few caps.

Ken McNaught is my wife’s great uncle. The following supercup final was hilarious when Ken was winding up the Barca keeper pretending to shadow box him

Cologne losing Flohe with broken ribs was a massive blow to them. He absolutely controlled our tie with them until Big Tam Forsyth injured him.

Would Forest have beaten them with him playing ? I’m not so sure.

Back