Favourite World Cup

Favourite World Cup

• Total voters
1998 is the first one I can remember.

I remember the buzz about the place because Scotland was there, I was 8 at the time and I remember they were showing the game on screens at Bellahouston Park I am sure.

I remember Golden Wonder did these wee cardboard shield things with each players face on it.

Mexico ‘70 will always been the ultimate for me.
I’ll always remember me and my dad sitting up late at night watching Italy vs West Germany. What a game with a great performance from Beckenbaur leading the Germans on even playing with his arm in a sling. Even though they lost he was great that night.

As for the Brazil team I’ve yet to see a more exciting team even fifty years later.

Bet that was some experience working there mate and living there when WC was on.
Was great, when Brazil played it was a national holiday and if you lived in a host city you got a half day when a game was on.
Porto Alegre is not really on the tourist trail of Brazil but during the WC the city completely transformed until Argentina came to town, talk about a change in atmosphere as they are not well liked

Was great, when Brazil played it was a national holiday and if you lived in a host city you got a half day when a game was on.
Porto Alegre is not really on the tourist trail of Brazil but during the WC the city completely transformed until Argentina came to town, talk about a change in atmosphere as they are not well liked
Watched Brazil v Mexico with a load of Brazilians on a tiny tv on a table outside a small bar/cafe in São Paulo. One of the best memories of that trip that was, even more so as we left the Owner about £50 to much for our bill by accident a couple of days earlier and the day after he gave us it all back.

1974. As a wee boy, I was just mesmerised by the whole thing and it hit home then, just how good the Germans where and still are as a footballing nation.

82 was the first one I properly remembered so probably that I also enjoyed France 98 I was in benidorm for two weeks of that one. 2010 my least favourite.

Spain 82.
A proper old school Brazil led by Zico & Socrates, a proper Scotland, Norn Iron shocking the world, England getting excited before going out (just the way I like my WC), German goalie bastűrt, France with Platini, Ziggy Boniek & Poland, and to cap it all off Paolo Rossi, Tardelli & Italy.
All in baking hot sun, with Brian Moore, David Colman, Jimmy Hill HAP & Archie Macpherson commentating just the way it should be.
Awesome.

First WC of legal drinking age, great kick off times and it was fucking roasting so could site outside and watch.

What is your favourite World Cup?

Have you ever attended any World Cup games?

Share your World Cup memories! :D

I'll post details of each World Cup below.

Oh, and polls only allow 15 options so if your favourite is earlier than the available options, comment accordingly.

Note: If the YouTube videos don't work, click the title instead of the play button.
Which World Cup was spoiled by terrible refereeing? Was it USA or Japan/South Korea?
I'm sure I remember a lot of games being ruined by over officious referees.

Which World Cup was spoiled by terrible refereeing? Was it USA or Japan/South Korea?
I'm sure I remember a lot of games being ruined by over officious referees.

It was 2002, Japan/Korea, when Korea’s were, ahem, ‘helped’ to the semis. It was like the 2007/08 SPL.

Favourite is 86, turned 10 years old that summer first one I followed from start to finish. I remember 82 and being introduced to panini stickers for the 1st time.

Espana 1982 for me, obviously Scotland qualified and we were leading Brazil for a short time, watched all the games in the pub and I think the game v Denmark kicked off at 11pm, also watched a few other games in the pub.

Northern Ireland having a great run and beating 1-0.

Brazil the greatest team never to win the WC , who could forget Zico, Eder, Falcao and of course Dr Socrates they were great to watch.

Of course won by the Italians who had their usual slow start and drew their 3 group games, then beat Argentina , Maradona, Kempes, Ardiles etc 2-1 in last 16. Then Rossi started playing in the QF and got a hat trick in an amazing 3-2 win against Brazil , who could forget the final beating the Germans , the Tardelli celebration., captained by the 40 year old Dino Zoff !

Also have great memories of 1998 as I was at all of the Scotland games and also Argentina v Jamaica and spent 2 weeks in France on the piss with a lot of great guys.

1990. But purely for nostalgia as the football was rank. I was 8 years old and captivated by Nessun dorma, world in motion, Cameroon, gazza, the orbis sticker collection.

1998 is probably the best in my lifetime. Ronaldo was so good. Probably not an appreciated tournament at the time. I even went to Scotland Morocco!

2014 had an excellent group stage but awful KO rounds.

2018 will probably be remembered as a vintage because of the final and the clusterfuck that’s going to follow.

France 98 for me, the first one I was really able to watch... I think all the ones outside Europe since then have been dire!

France 98 - I was 11 years old and had enjoyed the 94 world cup as a younger fan but this one really caught my imagination. We were there too, in the opening game against Brazil. Just a feel good factor about it all then the final twist with Ronaldo and the French victory. Quality. Modern World cup 2014 for great goals and exciting games (if I remember correctly) especially Germany 7-Brazil 1. A truly eye opening moment.

Voted for 94. Was the first World Cup I can remember as I was 5 during Italian 90. Roberto Baggio and klinsman are the 2 players I remember from the tournament. Favourite international tournament was euro 96. Was a great summer and a heatwave in the Uk if I remember correctly?

Loved Spain 82 especially Tardelli's celebration after his goal in the Final. But apart from the Final I'll admit 94 in the States is my personal favourite.
Loved it.

Spain 82. Was 11 at the time, so perfect for me. Italy 90 was also good as I was 19 and getting into pubs to watch games socially, so good for different reasons.

France 98 for me. First proper World Cup I can remember and Scotland being there was always a bonus. France were unreal that year too. The Ronaldo scandal in the final too added extra to it

1978 for me. Kempes, Boniek, Lato, Rummenige, Platini, Bettega, Ressenbrink, Krol Krankel, etc etc

Last edited:
Watched Brazil v Mexico with a load of Brazilians on a tiny tv on a table outside a small bar/cafe in São Paulo. One of the best memories of that trip that was, even more so as we left the Owner about £50 to much for our bill by accident a couple of days earlier and the day after he gave us it all back.
Brilliant, were you drinking Brahma Chopps? :cool:

Italia ‘90 for me - first time I really remember getting in to international football.
It might actually be interesting to vote on the worst World Cup: USA 94 and South Africa 2010 being pretty uninspiring

I voted Italia 90, it was truly memorable for me, there were far better world cups in terms of quality of football, but this World Cup just had something special. There were so many incredible and memorable images, Gazza and his tears, the cheating Argies, the Germans, Baggio, Toto Schillaci, Scotland beating Sweden, Roger Milla, all set to the most glorious world cup song ever.

1970 watched it as a school kid. It was all very new and fresh, we had Pele playing great and the exciting lads from Peru. ITV also started the football panel which from memory featured Derek Dougan, Pat Crerand, Malcolm Allison and a former Arsenal full back whose name escapes me. The best for me and of course was finished off by the 4th Brazil goal scored by Carlos Alberto. :D

Although too young to remember most of it live having looked at highlights over the years Mexico 86 was a master class from Maradona. That tournament was as close to a player winning the World Cup on his own as you’ll ever see.

The 2nd goal against England was probably the greatest of all time as well.

Spain 82 for me. Was 14 and loved football at that time. Everything about it was magical.
That was the last world cup where Brazilian played "their" way. They were sensational, but got caught out by Italy by shocking defending. By far the best team never to win a world cup. Some classic games too, Germany France semi, Italy Germany final. Best ever, no argument from me.

I remember 1982 and 1986 but 1990 is the first i really remember. 1994 was a good one with Romania and Bulgaria playing well but i really enjoyed 2006 from the opening game til the final with Zidane throwing it all away and being played like a fiddle by Materazzi.

***Hot take***

People are voting for Italia 90 out of nostalgia, the truth is it was a poor tournament that saw so much negative play that the Pass-back was rule was introduced to avoid future negativity.

Disclaimer: I’m pissed and may revise my opinion in the morning.

Back