Sir Walter Smith

The Barcelona Bear

Certainly the greatest rangers manager of my time, if not all time.
I appreciate that he was criticised for a lack of success in Europe, but over two spells in charge, he came close to reaching a champions League final and then took us to a euro final in 2008.
Yet for all of that and all of his success in Scotland, the game that most epitomises his management for me was in a League cup final, when we beat st mirren with 9 players left on the pitch.
Ally McCoist was supposed to be managing the cup games, but after we lost two players, Walter practically manhandled him and McDowell back to the dugout and drove his team to the win from the touchline.
If ever a manager won a game for his team, it was then. A fantastic display of real hands on man management. He certainly knew how to grind out a result

Certainly the greatest rangers manager of my time, if not all time.
I appreciate that he was criticised for a lack of success in Europe, but over two spells in charge, he came close to reaching a champions League final and then took us to a euro final in 2008.
Yet for all of that and all of his success in Scotland, the game that most epitomises his management for me was in a League cup final, when we beat st mirren with 9 players left on the pitch.
Ally McCoist was supposed to be managing the cup games, but after we lost two players, Walter practically manhandled him and McDowell back to the dugout and drove his team to the win from the touchline.
If ever a manager won a game for his team, it was then. A fantastic display of real hands on man management. He certainly knew how to grind out a result

Walter is by far the greatest manager of my lifetime. I idolise the man.

However the greatest of all time is and always will be Struth.

Unbelievable win that day with 9 men. That team had a great spirit - knew how to find a way. We need to try and replicate something like that now.

A legend. I love watching that cup final. Only Walter could have got that performance out the players.

Love the story of him getting sent off to get a reaction out the players Cos they weren’t playing well in a game, proper manager

First game I’ve ever watched where my eyes were on the dugout as much as the pitch. It was a remarkable thing to watch.

Reactions: o7o
That cup final epitomised that squad and Walter himself, sadly it’s everything our current squad are not. They thrived on the biggest occasions and thrived on that sort of adversity. Winning with 9 men was ridiculous, what a great day though.

It was ridiculous as St Boo were missing chance after chance and we got them with a sucker punch counter attack.

An absolute legend. By far the best manager in my lifetime.
Only him could have got that reaction from the team that day.

Only time I’ve shed a tear at someone leaving us. When he done his lap of honour after his second spell.

He’s simply the best.

Darren Fletchers little snippet recently about Smith and Cristiano Ronaldo speaks volumes, I recall as well that when Smith was in charge of Scotland, the likes of Scholes and Giggs were telling Fletcher to pass on their regards to Smith, asking after him.

Not the best picture quality, but ...

ZoK4dD0.png

The level of man management guys like him and Fergie had is so difficult to find nowadays. I worry the next generation of managers are tacticians with little social skills. You need to be well-rounded to be a top manager and I think the scale is starting to skew the opposite way when in the past you found alot of managers who were tactically poor but would have a squad of players who would die for them.

He's got my total respect, admiration & appreciation

His dignified and stately demeanour off the park was second to none & entirely in keeping with all that Rangers stand for

His man management & motivational skills were everything needed for a successful team on the park

As far as I'm concerned he was in the exact same mould as Bill Struth - who I'm sure would have fully approved & been proud of our Wattie

The man deserves all the accolades going imo

Thanks Walter - all your efforts are very much appreciated by me at least

Don’t think I’ve loved anyone associated with Rangers so much, as someone said wish Ethel would let him have a go at it one last time.

If anyone can stop Celt*c it is the man himself.
I honestly think he would as well.

Could grind a win out against anyone. Any player that gave him sh*t was out the door and most players who worked under him describe him as the biggest influence in their career.

He had the magic ability to get players to run through brick walls for him.
I love the footage of him throwing out water bottles after our nine men have just taken the lead against St Mirren, just rallying the troops. Probably a bit hyperbolic but I get the impression that some players in that team would have died for Smith if that's what he asked of them. Winning meant everything to that team

Don’t think I’ve loved anyone associated with Rangers so much, as someone said wish Ethel would let him have a go at it one last time.

If anyone can stop Celt*c it is the man himself.
I honestly think he would as well.

Could be wrong but I've always thought it was Smith himself who decided he'd had enough and wanted to retire.

He has been an amazing servant of the club and his wishes should be respected.

Could be wrong but I've always thought it was Smith himself who decided he'd had enough and wanted to retire.

He has been an amazing servant of the club and his wishes should be respected.

Hypothetical but if you think let’s say he was given the call do you think he would say no?

He deserves retirement and everything good in the world and probably won’t receive it but I don’t think he could say no.

Rangers Royalty,Right up there with the likes of Struth and Waddell

he is beyond a legend in my opinion

I love the man.

Hes gave me the best days of my life supporting Rangers.

The greatest Ranger in my lifetime no doubt.

My hero.

Selfish I know, but I was hoping he could be persuaded to come out of retirement before Gerrard got the job. Smith still has the eye of the tiger. He's as sharp as ever and still commands respect. I could listen to him talk all day.

Back