FIFA considers changing summer transfer window dates due to coronavirus pandemic

rangeral

FIFA is considering changing the dates of this summer’s transfer window as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

World football's governing body is chairing a working group on the issue but has yet to reach a decision on whether to delay or extend the next window. The men's transfer window in England and Scotland opens on June 10.

European football officials held talks on Tuesday and still hope to finish their domestic seasons by June 30. Talks have also taken place over whether to change the rules in relation to player's contracts.

A FIFA spokesperson has told Sky Sports News: "On March 18 the Bureau of the FIFA Council decided to establish a FIFA-Confederations Working Group in response to COVID-19.

"This Working Group will assess the need for amendments or temporary dispensations to the FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players' to protect contracts for both players and clubs and adjusting player registration periods. This work has already started and will be conducted in consultation with all key stakeholders, including confederations, member associations, clubs, leagues and players."

European football's leagues and competitions remain hopeful of finishing the season by June 30, following an opening round of talks this week. The coronavirus pandemic has led to the mass postponement of fixtures, including Euro 2020, and UEFA has set up two working groups to assess the consequences.

The first conference call took place on Tuesday and included representatives from the European Club Association and the European Leagues, which includes the Premier League, EFL and SPFL.

Football bodies maintained their ambition, agreed last week, to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of June 30, "should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough."

Or they could just null and void the season then keep everything as normal date wise

It seems no matter what, the one thing that will not happen, well in England and Scotland anyway, is the season deemed null and void.

This season will eventually be played to a finish, no matter the impact it has on next season. Or the season will be called as it is and current league positions will determine, champions, relegation and Euro qualifiers.

Last edited:
The hold on and wait and see approach is frustrating. They need to make a decision so we can get back to normal asap once this clears.

The hold on and wait and see approach is frustrating. They need to make a decision so we can get back to normal asap once this clears.

When will that be, though?
No one can make plans for anything based on a projected clearance date because no one knows how long this will actually impact us.

I was thinking yesterday that transfer windows should be scrapped to allow some of football‘s money to start flowing to help clubs that need income in this difficult period of no match revenue. Example - Morelos to Atletico, £25m, now. Do I want Alfredo to leave? No. Will he leave soon? Yes. Would the money now help Rangers ride out the next few months of no football? Yes. Football clubs all over the world could benefit from this flexibility and I think it should happen to prevent some of them going under.

When will that be, though?
No one can make plans for anything based on a projected clearance date because no one knows how long this will actually impact us.
You're right it might still affect the start of next season. My hope is it doesn't so we should be planning for that now with contingency if course. This season is a right off, the quicker that's accepted the better.

I think I'm right in saying that some players contracts will end as of the end of May and some the end of June. If the smaller clubs are forced to retain out of contract players it's going to put an even greater strain on them financially especially if they have no money coming in and I just don't believe that we will see any football before August at the earliest. Everything is just so up in the air that no one can say with any degree of certainty how this will play out but the FA's of Europe either need to get their hands in their pockets and help those clubs or there won't be many clubs left

I think I'm right in saying that some players contracts will end as of the end of May and some the end of June. If the smaller clubs are forced to retain out of contract players it's going to put an even greater strain on them financially especially if they have no money coming in and I just don't believe that we will see any football before August at the earliest. Everything is just so up in the air that no one can say with any degree of certainty how this will play out but the FA's of Europe either need to get their hands in their pockets and help those clubs or there won't be many clubs left

Kamberi 31-5
Hagi 30-6

Kamberi 31-5
Hagi 30-6
I was more meaning the lower league sides, I'm sure the players in those leagues contracts only run till May as they won't be playing in May or June most only get 10 month deals so if clubs are forced to retain these players under the guise of finishing all the leagues then a lot of clubs will fold

We’ve no idea when we may get playing again. I think the closest we can get to anything ‘fair’ when we eventually return is to scrap the window until at least January and let players move as and when.
Yes for ‘integrity’ it should be the same squads finishing the season as started it but the season would need to be binned then and let’s be honest lieswell and his cohorts won’t allow that. We live in hope tho!!

I’d say null and void everything as of now, take the bumping of gums etc and then start next season as normally as possible whenever the green light is given. This season is a dead duck. It should just be wildly accepted now and done.

They need to open the transfer window in the next week or so - until further notice, get some money moving its likely to make a huge difference to some clubs survival.

They need to open the transfer window in the next week or so - until further notice, get some money moving its likely to make a huge difference to some clubs survival.
So, we buy someone then find out when pushed in training he has had the virus, it's severely affected his physiology and his time as a pro athlete is either done or will take substantial time to recover?
I think not.

So, we buy someone then find out when pushed in training he has had the virus, it's severely affected his physiology and his time as a pro athlete is either done or will take substantial time to recover?
I think not.
I think the man meant more that we could sell someone to help cover the bills ?

You're right it might still affect the start of next season. My hope is it doesn't so we should be planning for that now with contingency if course. This season is a right off, the quicker that's accepted the better.
The thing is, they can’t start next season before finalising this one.

It seems no matter what, the one thing that will not happen, well in England and Scotland anyway, is the season deemed null and void.

This season will eventually be played to a finish, matter the impact it has on next season. Or the season will be called as it is and current league positions will determine, champions, relegation and Euro qualifiers.
Rightly or wrongly, more naively I guess, I just cannot see how, without inviting legal challenges, this can happen.

I think the man meant more that we could sell someone to help cover the bills ?
Same applies, surely? Clubs literally cannot afford to sell, spend the fee and then have to repay it? Perhaps legislation?
It's a nightmare, JB the market is paralysed until this clears.

I was thinking yesterday that transfer windows should be scrapped to allow some of football‘s money to start flowing to help clubs that need income in this difficult period of no match revenue. Example - Morelos to Atletico, £25m, now. Do I want Alfredo to leave? No. Will he leave soon? Yes. Would the money now help Rangers ride out the next few months of no football? Yes. Football clubs all over the world could benefit from this flexibility and I think it should happen to prevent some of them going under.
I agree in principle but the problem is the unknown outcomes and uncertainty of this episode. All clubs are going to be very cautious about spending in the short term. Any buying club is likely to come in way low in the hope that the seller is desperate. This could in a way correct the market a bit regarding stupid fees. Regarding Rangers, if we had to take a hit on the fee we might receive for Morelos for example, it would be worth it if it meant safeguarding the club.

Rightly or wrongly, more naively I guess, I just cannot see how, without inviting legal challenges, this can happen.

I get where you are coming from but it is well know UEFA frown on clubs that threaten legal action against their own Association.

Think we all know the Scum bias within the SFA are going to make sure this season is not written off, either played in full or call time on it at some point down the road and award Scum title.

Each and everyday there are more and more articles in the mhedia reiterating why Scum show be awarded title. It is a slow, slow creep till the day it finally happens. To be honest the fans of only two clubs in top division that would be against it are ourselves and Hearts, each for different but equalky valid reasons but no ones listening.

Out of contract players will not play beyond 31/5. Any games after that could be farcical.
That depends on whether they have another club and a confirmed contract . If they don’t have a new club then I expect they will be happy to play on and get paid

I think not.

Going forward the projections are almost everyone will contract Covid 19 - I’m talking about giving clubs (throughout Europe & wider) the opportunity to sell a player to get some revenue in. With no fans currently & TV money uncertainty i would look at any revenue streams to keep clubs alive.

Back