Two Finals same season

Alex Venters

....one against Celtic and one against Hearts.
Celtic in LCF 58,860
Hearts in SCF 85,250 (officially)

Why the huge difference in attendance?

Celtic in LCF 58,860

Scottish cup final was to clinch the treble and the excitement had been growing over the course of the season as the team got stronger and stronger.
Think there was only just over 50,000 in Hampden at kick off time. Our bus parked closer to Shawfield than Hampden and we only got in in time to see the second goal against Hearts.
I'm convinced, as most who were there that day, that there was much more than the 85,000 official attendance.

Celtic in LCF 58,860

Celtic game was an early kick-off and although we would win the treble we hadn’t started the season on fire. In contrast the Hearts game was a treble clincher and we hadn’t been beaten since losing to Aberdeen in December. We had also clinched the league the Saturday before. To add further gloss to a great day Celtic got beat 5-3 at home to Ayr.

Scottish cup final was to clinch the treble and the excitement had been growing over the course of the season as the team got stronger and stronger.
Think there was only just over 50,000 in Hampden at kick off time. Our bus parked closer to Shawfield than Hampden and we only got in in time to see the second goal against Hearts.
I'm convinced, as most who were there that day, that there was much more than the 85,000 official attendance.
Most definitely more than 85,250 at Hampden that day. In all likelyhood more than 100,000.

75 - 76.
Won nothing the following season and then won the treble again the year after 77 - 78 in Cooper, Russell and Smith's first season beating the mhanky mhob in the LCF and Aberdeen in the SCF.

Am I right in saying that neither of the finals were live on TV?
Pretty sure that's correct.
Think the first live final was the following years SCF - another poor crowd for an Old Firm Final attributed to the horrendous weather and the fact it was live on TV.
Oh and it was never a penalty

Celtic in LCF 58,860

SC is the more prestigious trophy, was a 3pm kick off, had a pay at the gate end and was the 3rd leg of a treble?

On the date of the first one, I was playing for the BB in a cup game at Bellahouston Park. One of our officers was at the final and, due to the early kick off, he got to our match to see the end of it, and tell us the score from Hampden. Big smiles all round. :))

Back