" I'm not proud of my behaviour" Colin Stein

Did he confirm how many times Eddie Mulhearn booted him before he retaliated.My recollection is Colin running with the ball towards the goal at the celtic end and Mulhearn kicked him from behind once,then a second and on the third time Colin retaliated.That was when the ref stopped play and sent him off.Mulhearnshould at least have been booked for the first tackle.
I'm sure it was on the right hand side going towards the Rangers end & yes Mulhearon had a couple of boots at him before retaliating & the punishment dished out to Colin made sure he missed the run in for the league ( we were in a decent position) & the Scottish cup final.
Head man at the SFA/ SFL at that time Sir Robert Kelly of Celtic !!!!
50 years on not much changes

I had a good chat with Colin at the Braga game,he spoke in great detail of that game against Clyde at Ibrox.

I’d love to know his thoughts on that one.

Another fine example of Scottish refereeing. He let Mulheron kick Stein about six times in succession before Colin finally decided enough was enough and stiffened him.

As others have said, Easter Road 1975. Will forever remember that day.
Spoke to Colin a few years back and the Eddie Mulhearn incident. Scandalous the suspension he received after being assaulted three times. Kept him out if the Cup Final.
Great player!

Although I know who he is, I’m afraid he was slightly before my time. What player would you say he is comparable to, from recent history? (Doesn’t have to be a Rangers player).

Don't remember any clamour to get rid of Colin Stein, or indeed Wee Bud for their disciplinary records the way there is for Alfie?

True enough, if this was Now could you imagine the Liewells Republican Media, they would have had them, Hung Drawn and Quartered , for me FTP at the end, “DON’T PANIC” F****THE PRESS! Lol

Good read that thanks OP. Met him in the Louden and he was more than happy to pose for photos. Seemed a nice big chap.

I'm sure it was on the right hand side going towards the Rangers end & yes Mulhearon had a couple of boots at him before retaliating & the punishment dished out to Colin made sure he missed the run in for the league ( we were in a decent position) & the Scottish cup final.
Head man at the SFA/ SFL at that time Sir Robert Kelly of Celtic !!!!
50 years on not much changes
It was in the second half and on the main stand side going towards the celtic end. My Gramps and me always stood at stairway 3 as it was quieter. Mulhearn tried to do Stein in the first half as well.

colinstein1975.jpg

colinstein1975-2.jpg

It was in the second half and on the main stand side going towards the celtic end. My Gramps and me always stood at stairway 3 as it was quieter. Mulhearn tried to do Stein in the first half as well.

It was in the last couple of minutes of the second half.
The first assault on Colin came just inside the Rangers half and continued all the way to goal line at the Rangers end, where Colin let Mulherron pass him before toe ending him up the hole.
Colin after realising he had went to far finished on his hands and knees in front of the Rangers fans in the Copland Road end.

First time I saw Colin getting his marching orders was when he played for Hibs against us at Ibrox in 1967. He got involved in a tussle for the ball with Fergie (Sir Alex) over near to where the Derry stood, fists were raised and the two of them got belted into each other. Next time I saw him go was In January 1969 at Rugby Park when he had a rammy with Billy Dickson and Tommy McLean. Dickson and Stein got sent off. From where I stood I thought McLean was the instigator and should have gone as well but he got away with it. The next time was that day at Ibrox against Clyde. The referee, Ian Foote, watched Eddie Mulherron kick Stein at least 3 times before he put his whistle to his mouth By the time he blew it for a free kick Colin had clobbered Mulherron. I've said for years that that incident was probably a history changing moment for our club.

Very modest of him not to mention he scored four of the five goals against Cyprus.

Scotland won 8-0 that day with Colin Stein scoring 4.
It should have been 5 but Gemmel's a bastard wouldn't give up taking a penalty late in the game.

I think in was his fourth goal that Stein beat at least four players on the goal line before putting it in the net. :))

First time I saw Colin getting his marching orders was when he played for Hibs against us at Ibrox in 1967. He got involved in a tussle for the ball with Fergie (Sir Alex) over near to where the Derry stood, fists were raised and the two of them got belted into each other. Next time I saw him go was In January 1969 at Rugby Park when he had a rammy with Billy Dickson and Tommy McLean. Dickson and Stein got sent off. From where I stood I thought McLean was the instigator and should have gone as well but he got away with it. The next time was that day at Ibrox against Clyde. The referee, Ian Foote, watched Eddie Mulherron kick Stein at least 3 times before he put his whistle to his mouth By the time he blew it for a free kick Colin had clobbered Mulherron. I've said for years that that incident was probably a history changing moment for our club.
It gave Kelly and the SFA the chance to ban Stein from the 69 SCF subsequently boosting the mentally challengeds chances. We all know what happened next.

Hero of mine and met him when in my mid fifties. I was like a wee boy again.

Did he confirm how many times Eddie Mulhearn booted him before he retaliated.My recollection is Colin running with the ball towards the goal at the celtic end and Mulhearn kicked him from behind once,then a second and on the third time Colin retaliated.That was when the ref stopped play and sent him off.Mulhearnshould at least have been booked for the first tackle.
The ref told him after the game,if he had stayed down after the first tackle he would have booked Mulhearn,you can imagine Colins response.

It was in the last couple of minutes of the second half.
The first assault on Colin came just inside the Rangers half and continued all the way to goal line at the Rangers end, where Colin let Mulherron pass him before toe ending him up the hole.
Colin after realising he had went to far finished on his hands and knees in front of the Rangers fans in the Copland Road end.
That is my recollection, & years later Mulherron was boasting about it to anyone who would listen in the bars in Durban, south Africa

Wasn't there (just a bit too young - just) but my old dad maintained that Colin was kicked at least three times before retaliating and being sent off. He maintained that with the league close and an old firm SCF looming the SFA, led by Kelly, then took the opportunity to effectively ban our main man, and the biggest threat to the mhanky mhobs ambitions, for the rest of the season - 5 weeks.
Without that their 9 would not have existed - you could say that their 9 was, in fact, "tainted".
Stein was an absolute legend - although too young to fully appreciate his talents I was gutted when he left and thrilled when he returned. Easter Road was the stuff dreams are made of.

Slightly off topic, but the Clyde keeper in the photo is Tommy McCulloch who was my neighbour for 25 years before he passed away 3 years back. A lovely guy who played for Clyde over 3 decades and was their keeper when they last won the Scottish Cup.

Back