Hearts threaten to suspend players wages if they dont accept 50% cut

uneasydaz

Hearts owner Ann Budge has written a letter to the club's players warning them their wages will be suspended from March 31 if they do not accept a 50 per cent wage cut amid the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

The Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) advised clubs on Friday that they have the power to halt contracts through the use of Clause 12, which can be triggered if the Scottish Football Association suspends football

Hearts are set to miss out on £1m of income next month following the suspension of Scottish football and Budge has warned the club will not survive a six-month shutdown without implementing cuts.

Hearts striker Steven Naismith has accepted the pay decrease, while manager Daniel Stendel agreed to work for free during the period, and Budge says she makes "no apology" for asking staff to take wage cuts.

In a statement on Thursday, she said: "In line with most other Clubs, we aim to hold sufficient cash reserves to cover two to three months of normal trading operations.

The reason we are implementing cost control measures is because we could be facing up to six months of totally abnormal operations.

"Given that we all know we have to plan for that eventuality, I see absolutely no reason for sitting back and waiting either on a miracle or for the Government to bail out every company in the country... in a timely enough manner.

Neither of these options is likely to happen and, therefore, I make no apology for putting immediate plans in place to mitigate the problems heading our way.

"Nor do I make any apology for being open and transparent with staff, players and supporters about the potential scale of the issue

Faced with this unprecedented set of circumstances, it is incumbent upon all employers to be totally upfront and open with their staff. They, too, have to be able to plan."

Budge added that "most staff" have agreed to wage cuts, but that "a number of players" are still reviewing their personal situations.

giphy.gif

I’m not sure they would get away with that. I recall reading something in the SPFL Rules and Regs stating that the only way you could withhold wages was on disciplinary grounds.

Too late at night to be arsed checking.

I reckon she is likely doing what most owners are doing right now, albeit quite brutally in public.

She has delayed fan ownership for now and turned down a bid fdom that Barnsley guy so it looks like she is pretty confident they'll come out the other side after all this.

Just noticed they've released another statement bullshitting the wording of the article.

Sun must be getting banned there soon haha

Surely she can furlow them at 2.5k a month?
I think she could only do that if she shuts the business down and the employee still has to agree to the temporary change in contract i think is the way it works although I could be wrong

Seems it's likely not true.

That said I find it very difficult to appreciate football players who are on very good wages unwilling to take a pay cut to try and help the club.

1. It's probably only a temporary issue

2. Hearts' wage bill is on average 140k per year, taking a 50% pay cut on that still leaves you much better off than the vast majority of people in the country and these players have already made a ton of money

Seems it's likely not true.

That said I find it very difficult to appreciate football players who are on very good wages unwilling to take a pay cut to try and help the club.

1. It's probably only a temporary issue

2. Hearts' wage bill is on average 140k per year, taking a 50% pay cut on that still leaves you much better off than the vast majority of people in the country and these players have already made a ton of money

They signed a contract. They don't owe anything to the club.

They signed a contract. They don't owe anything to the club.

I know they can't be forced but plenty of other clubs asked their players who have agreed to it because it's the correct thing to do. If the club goes bust they get %^*& all.

Also I'd be very surprised if the contracts don't have clauses about stuff like this.

They will get their arse sued off if it's not covered in their contracts. Oh well

Surely she can furlow them at 2.5k a month?
£2.5k a month is around £580 a week, meaning they would have to be on less than £1,160 a week for that to be an improvement on a 50% wage cut. Even at Hearts, I would imagine most, if not all of the the first team are on more than that.

Are they PAYE or self employed contractors? Imagine going from thousands a week to universal credit, they will get 80% of their wage either way capped just might need to wait until June for it

Are they PAYE or self employed contractors? Imagine going from thousands a week to universal credit, they will get 80% of their wage either way capped just might need to wait until June for it

Imagine going from 300 a week to 70 like some people.
Fu,,,

In any scenario when a player refuses a wage cut or extreme circumstances like this only?

When the SFA suspends football they have the right to terminate contracts. It's a rehash of last week's story - take a 50% wage cut or leave.

It's a game of bluff as they won't want to lose anyone who would earn them a transfer fee. However, the cards are loaded in their favour, as anyone who leaves won't earn a penny elsewhere for the next 6 months.

Why are we willing to accept stories from the media are true about other clubs. She had a pop at them yesterday, so I'll treat it with a pinch of salt

not saying I would have him....but Naismith is by far their best player.....its too late imo now, but if we were able to take back Kenny Miller then why not him ? I know what he said, but he's not the only thick footballer around to say something dumb, probably not knowing the implications of what he said at the time.........if he apologised and said he regretted it would all be forgiven like the majority have forgiven Kenny miller ?

I think she could only do that if she shuts the business down and the employee still has to agree to the temporary change in contract i think is the way it works although I could be wrong
The business is effectively shut down for the foreseeable and the employees don’t need to agree in writing- they are told they are being furloughed until there is work available for them. I don’t know how it would work if someone challenged it. Most of the guys in our work are just glad to be getting most of their wages but then we aren’t getting the same kind of pay as a footballer in the SPL

Back