Pollok joining the WOSL

Tony75tfc

could be a good thing for pollok , heard there is plans afoot to do some upgrades to newlandsfield also

Despite consensus from the clubs, I can’t help but think that ‘The Juniors’ will no longer be just that, ‘The Juniors’. I can foresee prices going up, stewards and cops at games, no longer being able to get a Bovril for a quid and a general erosion of the romance.

Being a ‘licensed’ club comes at a cost. Will it result in a loss of soul? I obviously hope I’m well wide of the mark and I’m not criticising clubs and players for having ambition, I just hope that they know what they are signing up to.

My local club Whitletts Victoria likewise.

VICS APPLY TO JOIN NEW LEAGUE

Whitletts Victoria are delighted to confirm our application to join the new West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL).

Agreement was reached earlier this week following video conference discussions between the SFA, Lowland League, East and South of Scotland Leagues and the SJFA West Region that gives all existing junior clubs in the West Region the opportunity to apply for the new league.

The deal will also allow the possibility of clubs retaining their membership of the Scottish Junior Football Association and with it entry to the Scottish Junior Cup but membership has also been opened up to other 'non-junior' clubs to join the new set up.

The WoSFL will fill the gap in the West of Scotland in the SFA's pyramid system, giving clubs the opportunity to develop, progress through the leagues and obtain their National Club License.

Chairman John Dalton stated that this agreement was a real benefit for football and offered real opportunities for Whitletts to develop further as a club.

"Obviously at this time we have other things to concentrate our energies on to which football becomes secondary."

"The impact of the Coronavirus has serious implications for the public as well as clubs, players and supporters but whatever happens to the remainder of this football season, we also have to prepare for the future and now have a new dawn for the game on the horizon"

"Whitletts now will be Ayr's non league club. We are in the process of moving to a new ground and now a new league set up that will afford the Club the opportunity to progress."

"By joining the pyramid, we are declaring our future ambition. That ambition is to obtain our National Club Licence once we move to our new stadium with the prospect of playing in the Scottish Cup in future years."

"We have taken inspiration from clubs like Broxburn Athletic who left junior football a couple of years ago to join the East of Scotland League. They have obtained their National Club License and this year played St.Mirren in the Scottish Cup in front of 5,000 people."

"Five years ago Whitletts defeated Broxburn in a Junior Cup tie at Albyn Park so who is to say we can't replicate their success at the Vics."

And the Vics Chairman also confirmed that the new league will also have benefits for local youngsters playing the game.

"One of the benefits of the new league will be the opportunity for the Club to have a team playing in the Lowland League Under 20 Development League."

"In the last couple of years our charity, Vics in the Community (VIC), have done some tremendous work in the local community and have establish ten new youth teams at various age groups from 5 years old through to our under 19 side"

"This under 20 Development League will further continue the opportunity for player development with the young players also being part of the first team squad, continuing our player pathway that VIC have been instrumental in establishing. "

"There is still a lot of hard work to be done to establish the new league in time for next season, whenever that will be but once we come through this current health crisis, the opportunity is there for Whitletts Victoria to move to a level the Club could previously never have dreamt of."

Despite consensus from the clubs, I can’t help but think that ‘The Juniors’ will no longer be just that, ‘The Juniors’. I can foresee prices going up, stewards and cops at games, no longer being able to get a Bovril for a quid and a general erosion of the romance.

Being a ‘licensed’ club comes at a cost. Will it result in a loss of soul? I obviously hope I’m well wide of the mark and I’m not criticising clubs and players for having ambition, I just hope that they know what they are signing up to.
No offense but this is a load of nonsense. The lowland league clubs games games for a fiver and you can get a beer in the social club or a novel for 50p.

Stewards and Cops .... What EoS or SoS games have stewards or cops at man? Get a grip.

Good luck to any team that are doing this

Game changing in the way these have to operate as well eventfully

It will be interesting to see if we have more West of Scotland teams climbing up through the divisions with some of the teams in the 2nd and 3rd that have managed to survive since Oor Wullie was a boy going down the pyramid system.

All sounds great having a pyramid system. It's fine in England when population in some of these towns with non league teams is large.but here it's different what really does another team from Edinburgh bring to the Scottish game. Had a 3rd team before in meadowbank didn't work now we have another playing in front of a couple of hundred .some of these places are nomore than just a village. Greenock juniors are apparently looking to join a town which struggles to support 1 league club. It's great in theory but but in reality different story Imo

could be a good thing for pollok , heard there is plans afoot to do some upgrades to newlandsfield also
Toilets first, floodlights next. The enclosure is fine the other terraces are fine and there is nowhere to expand imo

My local club Whitletts Victoria likewise.

VICS APPLY TO JOIN NEW LEAGUE

Whitletts Victoria are delighted to confirm our application to join the new West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL).

Agreement was reached earlier this week following video conference discussions between the SFA, Lowland League, East and South of Scotland Leagues and the SJFA West Region that gives all existing junior clubs in the West Region the opportunity to apply for the new league.

The deal will also allow the possibility of clubs retaining their membership of the Scottish Junior Football Association and with it entry to the Scottish Junior Cup but membership has also been opened up to other 'non-junior' clubs to join the new set up.

The WoSFL will fill the gap in the West of Scotland in the SFA's pyramid system, giving clubs the opportunity to develop, progress through the leagues and obtain their National Club License.

Chairman John Dalton stated that this agreement was a real benefit for football and offered real opportunities for Whitletts to develop further as a club.

"Obviously at this time we have other things to concentrate our energies on to which football becomes secondary."

"The impact of the Coronavirus has serious implications for the public as well as clubs, players and supporters but whatever happens to the remainder of this football season, we also have to prepare for the future and now have a new dawn for the game on the horizon"

"Whitletts now will be Ayr's non league club. We are in the process of moving to a new ground and now a new league set up that will afford the Club the opportunity to progress."

"By joining the pyramid, we are declaring our future ambition. That ambition is to obtain our National Club Licence once we move to our new stadium with the prospect of playing in the Scottish Cup in future years."

"We have taken inspiration from clubs like Broxburn Athletic who left junior football a couple of years ago to join the East of Scotland League. They have obtained their National Club License and this year played St.Mirren in the Scottish Cup in front of 5,000 people."

"Five years ago Whitletts defeated Broxburn in a Junior Cup tie at Albyn Park so who is to say we can't replicate their success at the Vics."

And the Vics Chairman also confirmed that the new league will also have benefits for local youngsters playing the game.

"One of the benefits of the new league will be the opportunity for the Club to have a team playing in the Lowland League Under 20 Development League."

"In the last couple of years our charity, Vics in the Community (VIC), have done some tremendous work in the local community and have establish ten new youth teams at various age groups from 5 years old through to our under 19 side"

"This under 20 Development League will further continue the opportunity for player development with the young players also being part of the first team squad, continuing our player pathway that VIC have been instrumental in establishing. "

"There is still a lot of hard work to be done to establish the new league in time for next season, whenever that will be but once we come through this current health crisis, the opportunity is there for Whitletts Victoria to move to a level the Club could previously never have dreamt of."
The senior team in the town barely get enough fans in. They going to continue at dam park? Park is absolutely ruined. Used to be a cracking surface back in the day. Not a great move imo.

All sounds great having a pyramid system. It's fine in England when population in some of these towns with non league teams is large.but here it's different what really does another team from Edinburgh bring to the Scottish game. Had a 3rd team before in meadowbank didn't work now we have another playing in front of a couple of hundred .some of these places are nomore than just a village. Greenock juniors are apparently looking to join a town which struggles to support 1 league club. It's great in theory but but in reality different story Imo
A lot of junior teams in the west have better support than most league 2 clubs

Reactions: TQ3
Toilets first, floodlights next. The enclosure is fine the other terraces are fine and there is nowhere to expand imo
They are going to be building new toilets behind covered terrace , new catering bit , the clubhouse is going to be extended

They are going to be building new toilets behind covered terrace , new catering bit , the clubhouse is going to be extended
The clubhouse extended? maybe doing what the Meadow done a wee bar sitting 80 and makes some money. The worst toilets in the west were at 2 of the biggest teams ie Pollok and Meadow

The senior team in the town barely get enough fans in. They going to continue at dam park? Park is absolutely ruined. Used to be a cracking surface back in the day. Not a great move imo.

True. Ayr do struggle. The Vics are hoping to move from Dam Park.

The clubhouse extended? maybe doing what the Meadow done a wee bar sitting 80 and makes some money. The worst toilets in the west were at 2 of the biggest teams ie Pollok and Meadow
Yes thats what i heard they are going to make clubhouse bigger where the car park is and they are going to introduce a club membership scheme with ST you get a free pint on entry seemingly and people will stay for a few beers afterwards

Yes thats what i heard they are going to make clubhouse bigger where the car park is and they are going to introduce a club membership scheme with ST you get a free pint on entry seemingly and people will stay for a few beers afterwards
Makes sense Douglas S wanted to do that years ago but the committee wanted tried to keep the Social Club afloat i am afraid by that time it was Titanic time My Father was a founder and the President for 8 or 9 years in the first 10 years so i have nothing but good things to say about Pollok

Dam park back in the school days was one of the best parks about. What would they do? Share Somerset?

The Ayrshire Bulls (Rubgy) are to go to the Dam Park and Whitletts are to move back to Whitletts. They are hoping to get in behind the Activity Centre on Glenmuir Place - yards from the old Voluntary Park.

Where does the West league sit in the pyramid? I heard it will feed into the Lowland League. That means West clubs will have an extra teir to negotiate to reach the SPFL, which is unfair.

Join or be left to languish in a mish mash league At least the Lok have their own ground , so hopefully no soulless sports complex for them

Where does the West league sit in the pyramid? I heard it will feed into the Lowland League. That means West clubs will have an extra teir to negotiate to reach the SPFL, which is unfair.

Level 1 Premiership
Level 2 Championship
Level 3 League 1
Level 4 League 2
Level 5 Highland League & Lowland League
Level 6 East of Scotland Premier Division, South of Scotland League & West of Scotland League
Level 7 East of Scotland First Division Conferences A & B

Last edited:
No offense but this is a load of nonsense. The lowland league clubs games games for a fiver and you can get a beer in the social club or a novel for 50p.

Stewards and Cops .... What EoS or SoS games have stewards or cops at man? Get a grip.
Go to the library and get a novel free.

Level 1 Premiership
Level 2 Championship
Level 3 League 1
Level 4 League 2
Level 6 East of Scotland Leagues, South of Scotland League & West of Scotland League
I’m a fan of the developing pyramid system, but the point you make is a good one.

Exactly. There is no land of milk and honey where their heading. Just become part of a structure where theyll be also rans.

Level 1 Premiership
Level 2 Championship
Level 3 League 1
Level 4 League 2
Level 6 East of Scotland Premier Division, South of Scotland League & West of Scotland League
Still no relegation from / promotion to Highland League.

obviously it’s no gonna be the juniors If there leavening the junior leagues

Hopefully can still nip out for a pint at Half time at Newlandsfield :p

It’s not really unfair. They all had the chance to join the Lowland League back when it was formed but none took up the offer.

Yes that is true since no leagues below it - new teams have only been invited to apply to join if right
I’ve seen rumours of the North Juniors and North Caledonian League trying to come to an agreement with the HL to feed into them.

To an extent. The attraction with Pollok is that they are a junior club and attract supporters of senior clubs who can’t make it along to their ‘big team’.

Yes they have a healthy support of their own (for a junior side) but they have to be careful what they wish for.
Totally agree. When my old boy was alive we’d go and watch a Junior game if Rangers weren’t at home. Hurlford (local team), Pollok (grand-dad’s team) or any of the other Ayrshire teams (except Talbot). The move to Senior status would put me off this as they’ll now be a potential opponent of Rangers.

Level 1 Premiership
Level 2 Championship
Level 3 League 1
Level 4 League 2
The first season will be a transition with 3 WoS leagues at the same tier to decide the leagues for the following season which will follow the EoS format just now of leagues at both level 6 and 7

This will hopefully open up relegation from the Lowland League and hopefully also secure an automatic promotion spot into SPFL League 2.

Currently only one team down from Lowland League so will take a long time for the leagues to even out to where they should be.

Same with League 2 - one down on a playoff basis. Should become automatic with a playoff between second bottom of League 2 and the loser of the playoff between Highland and Lowland Leagues winners.

I enjoy catching a game at Pollok when I can they have a good solid support and decent facilities. I always find its a bigger crowd when rangers play on a Sunday.

The first season will be a transition with 3 WoS leagues at the same tier to decide the leagues for the following season which will follow the EoS format just now of leagues at both level 6 and 7

Yeah I did wonder if it would follow the EoS set-up if there a lot of sides

How many teams have committed?

that was a few weeks ago

Scottish Lowland League chiefs have outlined the application process for a proposed West of Scotland League after revealing the number of interested clubs has grown to 51.

The next steps are outlined in the following statement issued by George Fraser (Chairperson Scottish Lowland League), John Greenhorn (Chairperson East of Scotland League), Colin Holden (President South of Scotland League).

"In line with the previous statements and timetable, the process surrounding the making of a formal application to join the Pyramid via the new West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL) proposed by the Scottish Lowland Football League (SLFL), East of Scotland Football League (EoSFL) and now also the South of Scotland Football League (SoSFL) is below.

"To date 51 expressions of interest have been received from various grades of football. Those Clubs will now be invited to an information meeting on Thursday 12 March to hear in more detail what the application process will look like.

"This will include the minimum qualification standards (including the ground criteria based on the EoSFL model), the governance arrangements, the administration support available, the options for the structure of the new league and the completion of the form itself.

"The application forms will be sent to the 51 Clubs along with the invitation to the meeting, and will also be made available to any other Club on request. The completed forms will be treated in strictest confidence.

"Clubs are encouraged to send any questions they have to geo_fraser@hotmail.co.uk by Wednesday 11 March so the meeting can be as informative as possible.

"Questions on the night will also be encouraged. The idea is to give the Clubs as much information as possible to inform their decision-making process. Due to numbers expected, each Club will be invited to send one registered official to the meeting.

"As previously stated, the deadline for completion for all of the forms is Tuesday 31 March.

"The next again step will be to hold a further meeting for all Clubs whose application has been accepted."

That meeting will cover in more detail what the set-up of the new League will look like (depending on the number of applications received and accepted) and also the plans to create an administration for the League. That meeting will be arranged for April.

Death of the juniors as it stands is inevitable. Pollok would do well to join this now.

Latest posts

Back