UEFA vice president says it will be up to SPFL to decide on Premiership title if season is scrapped

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
UEFA vice president Michele Uva has told the SPFL it will be up to THEM to decide on the Premiership title if this season has to be scrapped.

And they will also be asked to nominate who they want to represent Scotland in Europe next season.

There had been hopes within Hampden that the game’s governing body would intervene to advise all leagues a way forward if the Covid-19 crisis prevents a resumption of matches.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has already admitted he fears the current campaign will be lost because of the virus if games are not started again by June.

But Italian Uva, who previously worked for Lazio and Parma, has warned that decisions over whether to hand out league titles or void completely will be taken at a local level.

He said: "It is not a matter of our competence, it will be each league to decide.

The only question concerns those players who are due to expire on their contracts or loans as of June 30th, but it does not concern UEFA which will only ask for a list of teams that will participate in the next European cups by a certain date.”

Celtic are thirteen points clear in the Premiership, although Rangers have made it clear they would be in no mood to concede the trophy.

While Hearts are four points adrift at the bottom with eight games to play and have threatened legal action if they are relegated without another ball being kicked.

Motherwell and Aberdeen are locked in a battle for third place and the automatic European spot that goes with it.

Uefa President Aleksander Ceferin has delivered a late June deadline for the 2019/20 season to restart.

And he admits there is a growing chance the domestic campaign will be LOST due to the coronavirus.

He said: "Nobody knows when the pandemic will end.

"We have a plan A, B or C - to restart in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.
If then we wouldn't be able to do any of these, the season would probably be lost.
"There is also the possibility of ending this season at the start of the next, which would then be postponed, starting a little later."

If not started by June. Not a chance of that happening. And even if it did, are we expecting clubs to jump straight into the next season with euros and a world Cup shortly after. Madness. I'm not even sure why we are getting a daily update from uefa or the sfa. It's over. Null and void

So now the whole SPFL board will need to show transparency and sporting integrity when decisions are made.

Especially when the UEFA places are decided.

It's getting worse everywhere Britain, Italy, Spain even America null and void everything ffs.

Beating this killer virus is the priority not handing out tainted titles during a worldwide pandemic to keep one rancid Club and there mob support happy.

It's blatantly obvious there will be no sport even a return to a normal lifestyle for months maybe even longer than that.

UEFA need to smarten up here to the ongoing situation. There soundbites have sent the wrong message out just admit it there will be no Football for the foreseeable future and advise every league/football association that everything should be null and void it's fairly simple.

Last edited:
It's getting worse everywhere Britain, Italy, Spain even America null and void everything ffs.

Beating this killer virus is the priority not handing out tainted titles during a worldwide pandemic to keep one rancid Club and there mob support happy.

It's blatantly obvious there will be no sport even a return to a normal lifestyle for months maybe even longer than that.

UEFA need to smarten up here to the ongoing situation.
Trying to shift the pressure on to others

Utterly stupid from Uefa now you’ll have potentially half the countries in Europe declaring champions and the rest going with a void league.

Will be complete chaos with teams threatening legal action etc. Would have been a million times simpler for them to declare the leagues across Europe either way with a single decision rather than the self interest and infighting about to take place now.

Last edited:
SPFL will just copy what every other league does.

Most European leagues will not be awarded based on current standings. There is no chance they are naming champions with only 1-2 point gaps at the top.

The EPL may well be the exception if there aren’t too many objections from their member clubs.

I fully expect the SPFL to wait and see what the EPL does.

Last edited:
Null and void is the only way. Anything else would be a farce. Jurgen Klop and Liverpool are coming out of this with dignity, all they care about is the health and safety of the nation. The filth unfortunately are blinded by getting another tainted title to add to their already tainted titles. Vermin.

SPFL will do what England do but just announce a few days later.

The only rush to void leagues is for European football to start up again and that's only due to money.

The SPFL would now seek to approach Celtic and see what they want to. It'll have nothing to do with anyone else. The SPFL and SFA had already decided that Celtic were getting the title, why, because Celtic told them that's what's happening.

There should be a massive legal case now put against the SPFL and SFA if they even suggest giving the title to Celtic.

Again i'd say people are coming from the wrong angle on this here.

This is good news for us. The last time UEFA got involved in a league that couldn't finish was during the war in Yugoslavia.

UEFA intervened and awarded Partizan Belgrade the title.

So with that in mind it's good news for us they are not getting involved.

Trying to award European places would the hardest point

1 CL
1 EL for domestic cup winners which is still on going
2 EL for League places

In terms of Scottish Cup -, Hearts and Hibs would likely have an issue in accepting it - Celtic would be CL so Aberdeen currently 4th may well get one of the EL places?

The proper decision would be to declare the league null and void - because that's exactly what it is.

However, we all know the SPFL will come under enormous pressure from one club in particular.

Do the SPFL have the balls to meet Celtic head on over this? I'm not convinced.

Shitebaggery from Uefa. What are they actually there for? With great power comes great responsibility. They could make the decision and that's that.

FWIW - a blanket statement from Uefa I would have accepted, no matter the outcome, even if it had just handed the scum the league. At least it would have been consistent across all the leagues.

However, now that it's down to the local level I hope Rangers resist the inevitable all the way, because quite simply we know that it won't be a fair and unbiased decision here.

Most European leagues will not be awarded based on current standings. There is no chance they are naming champions with only 1-2 point gaps at the top.

The EPL may well be the exception if their aren’t too many objections from their member clubs.

I fully expect the SPFL to wait and see what the EPL does.
This is the worry. Liverpool have such an unbelievable lead that it wouldn’t surprise me if every other club give consent to name them champions, hence giving the SPL the excuse they need to give it to the beggars.

The proper decision would be to declare the league null and void - because that's exactly what it is.

However, we all know the SPFL will come under enormous pressure from one club in particular.

Do the SPFL have the balls to meet Celtic head on over this? I'm not convinced.

The SPFL/SFA and a number of clubs/Boards will side with them it's a certainty that's why Rangers need to prepared to launch a massive war over it.

Doesn't really surprise me tbh, it should be each country's association that decides, not UEFA. Should the scum be awarded the title, I'm confident our club will fight it all the way.

Who trusts the SPFL to stand up to Celtic and not give them the title if UEFA don't rule on it for everyone?
“Rangers chairman Dave King is refusing to back down on his demands for Scottish Professional Football League chairman Murdoch MacLennan to be suspended and an independent probe set up into his business links with Celtic majority shareholder Dermot Desmond.”

Last edited:
If not started by June. Not a chance of that happening. And even if it did, are we expecting clubs to jump straight into the next season with euros and a world Cup shortly after. Madness. I'm not even sure why we are getting a daily update from uefa or the sfa. It's over. Null and void
We might not even get next season.

Another day i cant leave my house, more misery in the news..
Timmy wants the title... ffs
8.8 titles.

Declare the season null and void. The previous seasons placing should be given the European places.
This is the correct and fair decision.
It was all to play for in so many areas of the leagues.
Decide how to split the money in a reasonable way.
The season was not completed. And it won't be. It's no ones fault.

They will be declared unofficial champions i reckon. They will then continue singing about 9, going to be 10 in a row next season and we will sing back about then being “paedos”. If we then go on to win the league next season we’ll never hear them sing again.

Null and void is the only way to go but I have a feeling there’ll be a big push in England to crown Liverpool champions. Rightly or wrongly if they get it the SPFL will be tripping over themselves to hand the fhilth the title.

SPFL will just copy what every other league does.

Can't see it they'll go for the yahoos as champions with Hearts given a bribe of not being relegated to play along with it no matter if every league in Europe votes to void.

Lawwell gets £2.5m for them winning the league so he'll no doubt blackmail the heck out of every team in this league to get his way and we'll probably just go "Meh" and accept it like always.

Celtic are thirteen points clear in the Premiership, although Rangers have made it clear they would be in no mood to concede the trophy.

yeah because we are supposed to concede when we still have a chance to win the trophy and give them the free shot at Europe and potentially millions of pounds :rolleyes:

void the season domestically and in Europe, try to start on time (if we can) in August, possibly even start the season under closed doors if we have to. Europe should be a return to the old European Cup knockouts instead of the bloated money grab the CL has become

Who trusts the SPFL to stand up to Celtic and not give them the title if UEFA don't rule on it for everyone?
Rangers are on the SPFL board this season, not The Harbourers. For that reason alone it will be highly unlikely that a title will be awarded if not earned on the pitch.

The more complicated issue is who gets the European places for next season.

Back