Argentinian strikers, past and present.

deacon2112

Mario kempes in 1978 started it for me,then we had the magic of Maradona,then Batistuta who I believe was one of the most prolific strikers of his time.Aguero and that goal with Messi rewriting history.

1978 World cup final.

Maradona V England

Batistuta top 10 goals for Argentina

Aguerooooooooooooooo

Messi solo goals

Batistuta had an amazing record when you consider the team he played for in Serie A and how tough it was to score in that league back then.

Maradona and Messi are the best players I've ever seen but neither are strikers. But that would be my front 3 in an Argentina dream team. Batigol as the striker supported by Maradona and Messi who would both have a free role.

For some reason Martin Palermo was in my head, I was sure he was really prolific but checked his Wiki and not that amazing? I’m sure I remembered him scoring 4 or 5 in one game, am I getting him confused with someone?

For some reason Martin Palermo was in my head, I was sure he was really prolific but checked his Wiki and not that amazing? I’m sure I remembered him scoring 4 or 5 in one game, am I getting him confused with someone?
Missed 3 penalties against Colombia in 99(I think) A record at the time for an international match I’m sure that probably is intact. I liked big Martin also , because in PES 2010 He was the main striker for some reason in the game for Argentina

Weirdly watching England v Argentina 98 the now. Martinez and aguero are probably my two favourite Argentinian strikers in my life time

batistuta is the best in my lifetime - wouldn't class messi as a striker. batigol could (cliche alert) score all types of goals

Di Stefano, Labruna, Ferreyra, Sanfillipo, Palermo, Icardi, Bianchi, Yazalde are others that spring to mind.

I know they've scored lots of goals but I wouldn't consider Maradona and Messi as strikers. If they are then there a number of other pibes who would be added to the list.

Some terrific players mentioned here; an honourable mention in addition to these imho would be Jorge Valdano...... also scored in a World Cup final iirc.

Regarded as a Hero at Boca Palmero. Did the Tour 10 year ago there and the lad who took it was quite informative and on the quiet called him an imbecile which I found quite funny. Can remember when he missed all them pens in 1 match.

Seen Mauro Boselli play for Estudiantes with Veron in the season they won the Copa Lib, went to Wigan not long after but if never really worked for him. Gaston Fernandez was another good Striker in that team but never left the Americas. A really good Argy Striker/Attacker who I was saddened to see not kick on was Matias Suarez, was in the team with Lukaku at Anderlecht, had a bad injury when he was being touted with a big move and never recovered really - was a great player.

Regarded as a Hero at Boca Palmero. Did the Tour 10 year ago there and the lad who took it was quite informative and on the quiet called him an imbecile which I found quite funny. Can remember when he missed all them pens in 1 match.

Seen Mauro Boselli play for Estudiantes with Veron in the season they won the Copa Lib, went to Wigan not long after but if never really worked for him. Gaston Fernandez was another good Striker in that team but never left the Americas. A really good Argy Striker/Attacker who I was saddened to see not kick on was Matias Suarez, was in the team with Lukaku at Anderlecht, had a bad injury when he was being touted with a big move and never recovered really - was a great player.

He was player of the year with Anderlecht. Left after the terrorist attacks in Brussels as he didn't think it would be safe to stay.

Currently at River Plate.

He was player of the year with Anderlecht. Left after the terrorist attacks in Brussels as he didn't think it would be safe to stay.

Currently at River Plate.

Had a look and was surprised to see him there to be honest mate, could remember that when he left due to the attacks. Cracking player, seen him and Lukaku play together in a 3 1 (had to check that!) in 2011 against Mechelen and ran the show - Lukaku left not long after, really reminded me of Drogba that night.

Batistuta had an amazing record when you consider the team he played for in Serie A and how tough it was to score in that league back then.

Maradona and Messi are the best players I've ever seen but neither are strikers. But that would be my front 3 in an Argentina dream team. Batigol as the striker supported by Maradona and Messi who would both have a free role.
Ooooft that would be ridiculous

Leopoldo Luque was a top striker and was in the WC winning team 1978. Played 40 odd times for the Argies between 1975 and 81.

He missed 3 penalties in one game I'm sure.

Not in the same tier as a lot of the names mentioned but remember Claudio Lopez in the late 90s / early 00s. Part of the Valencia team that made the Champions League final in 99/00. Moved to Lazio for 35million euro to partner Crespo upfront.

Not in the same tier as a lot of the names mentioned but remember Claudio Lopez in the late 90s / early 00s. Part of the Valencia team that made the Champions League final in 99/00. Moved to Lazio for 35million euro to partner Crespo upfront.

Played against us and I think scored a couple as well. Tremendous left foot and very quick from what I remember.

Played against us and I think scored a couple as well. Tremendous left foot and very quick from what I remember.

Yeah we were in their group the year they made the Champions League final. He scored this belter against PSV in the group stages as well.

Back