Daily Telegraph - Celtic to be awarded Premiership title with no league expansion as SPFL negotiate coronavirus crisis

The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport.

Why would most clubs oppose this?

Aye, I’m sure Livingston and Hamilton would be devastated if the filth were only awarded an unofficial title.

All of these articles are the same. Most clubs don’t want null and void, most clubs don’t wan’t an unofficial title, most clubs need payments for cash flow etc.

Using the ‘most clubs’ lie as a smoke screen to push the mentally challenged agenda to see them handed this title. Their greed for an unearned trophy is absolutely shameful.

It should be, and might yet be.

European competitions places now under threat will delay things somewhat and, if as many realists expect, the leagues cannot be completed, many of the 'top five' leagues will eventually declare 'null and void', perhaps with the exception of current standings being counted for next season's European competitions.

The further things go down the line the closer we come to the correct decision, no doubt about that.
Wish i had your optimism.

I think theres no chance they null and void it.

Rangers BETTER be ready to go to war on this, I swear to god if they roll over and take this I'm done with Scottish football and rangers, my two season tickets will be done with and I won't be back inside Ibrox again, anyone else that doesn't follow suite needs their skull read.

You wont be the only one.. I have two hospitality season tickets and I can guarantee if this happens with no legal action from the club then I wont be signing up again.

I hope that the SLO who posts on here is conveying that same message to the club regarding the feelings about this.

So it begins, surely this is the start. Hearts won’t take this and neither will the leagues below.

Seems a bit early for such a pronouncement. If money is the issue, they can award some prize money to clubs, with the balance upon completion of the season.

An article by the Times contradicts this completely and says SPFL want to see our the season and follow UEFA guidance.

When are folk going to waken up in regards to Null and Void, we literally had officials telling us Null and Void wasn’t on the agenda, it simply wasnt going to happen, yet every day this is being pushed on here, even now we still read Null and Void is the only way.

There were only ever going to be 2 options, play the season out several months down the line or award them the title now, it would appear they have taken the cowards way out and done everything to appease one club only.

Papists in my work who are meant to be in the know, said they had been told last Monday night that the SPFL wanted to declare them Champions znd it was only a matter of time before it was announced.

Vermin

Celtic will be recognised as Scottish champions, Aberdeen will be awarded the country’s spare Europa League place, there will be no expansion of the SPFL Premiership, but the winter break would be axed, for next season at least, according to soundings taken by Telegraph Sport.
The SPFL has yet to resolve the many issues created by the truncation of its league schedules because of the Covid-19 lockdown and, as always, there are contending points of view amongst clubs, but a desperate need for income is now driving the agenda for many.
Hearts have already flagged a 50% wage reduction for staff and players, while Dundee United have placed almost all staff and players on furlough. This week, Celtic too placed some staff on furlough and promised to top up salaries after administration of the Government’s contribution of 80% of monthly income up to a limit of £2500.
Even had the campaign been proceeding normally, this would be the stage where cash flow is thinnest but, given the state of uncertainty about how and when next season will begin, most clubs badly need the money which is allotted according to final placings in the league tables. Nor can they afford to have their prospect of season ticket sales hindered by debates about league reconstruction.
Revenue from final placings would normally be distributed in May but that cannot be done for as long as the 2019-20 season is kept in abeyance, so there is a strong motive for those unaffected by title races and relegation struggles to move for the league campaign to be declared to be finished. That view has been reinforced by the decision of the Belgian Pro League to stop their competition now, with Club Brugge recognised as champions by virtue of their 15-point lead over KAA Gent, although Uefa still want national leagues to attempt to play to a finish – behind closed doors, if necessary – in July or even August.
The closed doors option has been ruled out unofficially in Scotland because, even in the event of lockdown being eased, it would require the co-operation of emergency services who are likely still to be overstretched or exhausted. There are differences between the views of the UK and Scottish governments about how long the lockdown is likely to be in place, with the Holyrood administration less inclined to contemplate a shortened quarantine.
As far as possible, clubs want to get on with selling season tickets for a set-up as close to the norm as possible, which is a barrier to those proposing league of three divisions with 14 in each. Another difficulty presented by any proposal for a truncated campaign is that those who paid for 2019-20 season tickets will not have had full value for their outlay.
One solution is to expand the scope of next season’s offers to include Scottish Cup and League Cup ties, or to issue vouchers for holders to bring along a guest for free for the equivalent of the missed games. That outcome would be beneficial for clubs with spare capacity at their grounds and would generate greater catering and merchandising revenues, but would be difficult for the likes of Celtic and Rangers, the bulk of whose spectators are season ticket holders, although they could be offered free or discounted tickets for European matches.
This season’s Scottish Cup semi-finals and semi-finals have been postponed indefinitely but could be played before December to yield a 2020 winner. The two Hampden semis– Hearts vs Hibs and Celtic vs Aberdeen – are money-spinning occasions which the contending clubs want to be played. Traditionally, the competition provides a European place for the winner or beaten finalist but, if the tournament is deferred, an entry to the Europa League would become available to the next available SPFL club – in this case Aberdeen, who are fourth in the table.

The fact that three of the four semi-finalists are SPFL clubs plus the likelihood that Hearts, even if relegated, would not be involved before the fourth round of the 2020-21 Scottish Cup - to be played next January - clears the way for a deferred finale to this season’s tournament to be played before the end of the year.
The extra fixtures would, however, add to congestion which will be created if next season starts later than the first week in August, meaning that the winter break would almost certainly have to be cancelled. Much to-and-fro will occur over the next few weeks but, barring a near-miraculous early end to the Covid-19 shutdown, the chance of a fulfilled SPFL schedule is remote.
The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport. “There were no TV deals and large-scale commercial contracts during the war,” said one source. “It’s just not going to happen.”
What have I just read!
Surely we wouldn’t kill our game because don’t the above would

The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport.

‘Telegraph Sport’ = Roddy Forsyth their Celtic supporting journalist.
Knowing Roddy, he has more than likely made that bit up!

no surprise to be honest,
just hope our board stand up for the club and our supporters and fight this tooth and nail

Can you imagine if the journalist and pundits and ex players up here put as much effort into investigating and shining a light on the paedophilia in that club as they have in trying to ram another tainted title down our throats ?
Scummy club in a scummy league

This sounds like a quote from a ceptic fan desperate to be handed the title.

Why would most clubs "adamantly" oppose it? Maybe most other clubs would oppose it but surely only ceptic would oppose it adamantly? I think this article has been written by another twat with an agenda.

So everything mentioned in that article suits Celtic’s agenda - handed the title they didn’t win and SC continuing into next season so that they can get their tainted treble. Meanwhile Sheep get a Europa space. This completely stinks.

Celtic to be awarded Premiership title with no league expansion as SPFL negotiate coronavirus crisis
Urgent need to address cashflow problems driving the agenda with Scottish clubs

Celtic will be recognised as Scottish champions, Aberdeen will be awarded the country’s spare Europa League place, there will be no expansion of the SPFL Premiership, but the winter break would be axed, for next season at least, according to soundings taken by Telegraph Sport.

The SPFL has yet to resolve the many issues created by the truncation of its league schedules because of the Covid-19 lockdown and, as always, there are contending points of view amongst clubs, but a desperate need for income is now driving the agenda for many.

Hearts have already flagged a 50% wage reduction for staff and players, while Dundee United have placed almost all staff and players on furlough. This week, Celtic too placed some staff on furlough and promised to top up salaries after administration of the Government’s contribution of 80% of monthly income up to a limit of £2500.

Even had the campaign been proceeding normally, this would be the stage where cash flow is thinnest but, given the state of uncertainty about how and when next season will begin, most clubs badly need the money which is allotted according to final placings in the league tables. Nor can they afford to have their prospect of season ticket sales hindered by debates about league reconstruction.

Revenue from final placings would normally be distributed in May but that cannot be done for as long as the 2019-20 season is kept in abeyance, so there is a strong motive for those unaffected by title races and relegation struggles to move for the league campaign to be declared to be finished. That view has been reinforced by the decision of the Belgian Pro League to stop their competition now, with Club Brugge recognised as champions by virtue of their 15-point lead over KAA Gent, although Uefa still want national leagues to attempt to play to a finish – behind closed doors, if necessary – in July or even August.

The closed doors option has been ruled out unofficially in Scotland because, even in the event of lockdown being eased, it would require the co-operation of emergency services who are likely still to be overstretched or exhausted. There are differences between the views of the UK and Scottish governments about how long the lockdown is likely to be in place, with the Holyrood administration less inclined to contemplate a shortened quarantine.

As far as possible, clubs want to get on with selling season tickets for a set-up as close to the norm as possible, which is a barrier to those proposing league of three divisions with 14 in each. Another difficulty presented by any proposal for a truncated campaign is that those who paid for 2019-20 season tickets will not have had full value for their outlay.

One solution is to expand the scope of next season’s offers to include Scottish Cup and League Cup ties, or to issue vouchers for holders to bring along a guest for free for the equivalent of the missed games. That outcome would be beneficial for clubs with spare capacity at their grounds and would generate greater catering and merchandising revenues, but would be difficult for the likes of Celtic and Rangers, the bulk of whose spectators are season ticket holders, although they could be offered free or discounted tickets for European matches.

This season’s Scottish Cup semi-finals and semi-finals have been postponed indefinitely but could be played before December to yield a 2020 winner. The two Hampden semis– Hearts vs Hibs and Celtic vs Aberdeen – are money-spinning occasions which the contending clubs want to be played. Traditionally, the competition provides a European place for the winner or beaten finalist but, if the tournament is deferred, an entry to the Europa League would become available to the next available SPFL club – in this case Aberdeen, who are fourth in the table.

The fact that three of the four semi-finalists are SPFL clubs plus the likelihood that Hearts, even if relegated, would not be involved before the fourth round of the 2020-21 Scottish Cup - to be played next January - clears the way for a deferred finale to this season’s tournament to be played before the end of the year.

The extra fixtures would, however, add to congestion which will be created if next season starts later than the first week in August, meaning that the winter break would almost certainly have to be cancelled. Much to-and-fro will occur over the next few weeks but, barring a near-miraculous early end to the Covid-19 shutdown, the chance of a fulfilled SPFL schedule is remote.

The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport. “There were no TV deals and large-scale commercial contracts during the war,” said one source. “It’s just not going to happen.”

Im actually past caring. In some ways it’s good for us as we can now justifiably say there titles are properly tainted

I'm the same, this season is a total write off, I can honestly say that if the roles were reserved then wouldn't expect or want it, even talking about it is crass at the moment.

There is literally no justification for awarding them the title now, none.

I have no problem with if they win it after the authorities find a way to complete the games but just to hand them it on a plate?

Nah, that's just corruption. No way would it happen if the roles where reversed.

It's null and void or complete the season.

Sporting integrity my arse.

You would think if that’s the plan ( which I doubt ) Rangers would have some allies to fight alongside them.
wishfull thinking mate, i doubt very much Rangers have any allies,
no one likes us and we don't care, i wouldnt trust any of these clubs in our league to stand firm with us

If it was Rangers at the top of the table Lawell and his many many puppets within Scotland.would be crying out for sporting integrity to be implemented and they would get it im sure of that .

From what I hear tonight, any decision re what happens with current SPFL season may now be a bit away. UEFA threat/Belgium stance a factor? Absolutely.

Raman just posted this on twitter.

Fake news. No team can be " awarded " a title if they don't win it. Roddy Forsyth is just fed shite and he never questions any of it. No mention of Hearts being definitely relegated either, which leaves the question of Dundee Hibs promotion ?

Imo it's the "best" outcome.

Renders however many titles they go on to do in a row as completely without any form of meaning as the 9th one wasn't won.

If the season was to be null and void, they would always claim this one unofficially.

This way just makes their claims to this title look pathetic. They will always know that they didn't actually win it.

Im actually past caring. In some ways it’s good for us as we can now justifiably say there titles are properly tainted
Everything they win is tainted. LCF this year winner with 3 players in an offside position. LCF last year, sheep denied blatant penalty and then they get given a pen for a handball 2 yards outside the box. SCF last year they get a pen for a clear dive when 1-0 down. They have Scottish football sewn up.

Back